Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

This is my favorite thread in AI and I'm always so excited when it has an abundance of new posts.

Keep it coming you beautiful bastards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
Turbocharging your completely stock snowmobile? Oops...

DefaultPeanut fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jan 19, 2012

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
Reading about the Italian cruise liner led me to this pictorial of the MV Tricolor salvage operation

The pictures are nice and high res, so be sure to enlarge them.

What do they use to cut a ship into sections like that? If you look at some of the pictures (like this one) it seems like it was cut with a giant bandsaw. Look at how the cut line travels across the 3 engines.

superv0zz
Jun 24, 2006

Touch it.

Hillridge posted:

Reading about the Italian cruise liner led me to this pictorial of the MV Tricolor salvage operation

What do they use to cut a ship into sections like that? If you look at some of the pictures (like this one) it seems like it was cut with a giant bandsaw. Look at how the cut line travels across the 3 engines.

Most of these ships are assembled in large sections like that. I assume they disassemble them in the same way for salvage (by cutting, most likely)

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Hillridge posted:

You use a giant bandsaw basically. String a cutting cable between two platforms and under the ship, and slowly saw through it.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Hillridge posted:

Those are some AWESOME real life cutaways.
particularly this:

JD Brickmeister
Sep 4, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Those are some AWESOME real life cutaways.
particularly this:

Obviously not, but it seems at a minimum they would avoid cutting through those engines as they are more valuable in once piece than in pieces.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
Yeah that's the one I mentioned, where it looks like they just ran a saw right through it, missed the first engine, shaved the second, and cut the front off the third. There are other photos where you can see cars (the cargo) cut in half too.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

JD Brickmeister posted:

Obviously not, but it seems at a minimum they would avoid cutting through those engines as they are more valuable in once piece than in pieces.

Nothing on that ship its worth more than its weight in scrap. Hazchem & safety issues to recover them, remanufacturing / repairing costs before they can be sold.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I'm going to have to go find a picture of the technique they use to cut these, but it basically is just a giant bandsaw.

EDIT: No picture yet, but they used a carbide-encrusted cutting wire.

EDIT: Oh, Rent-A-Cop already discussed this.

EDIT: Anyway, here's some pictures of the process.

wdarkk fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jan 23, 2012

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cakefool posted:

Nothing on that ship its worth more than its weight in scrap. Hazchem & safety issues to recover them, remanufacturing / repairing costs before they can be sold.

Ding. Insurance paid for all of it already based on its actual value as an engine / cargo / etc, so what's left can only be scrapped. There was another wreck which I forget the name of that had scores of mid-'00s Mazdas on board, including a bunch of Mazda3s and I believe early NCs. Despite the fact that most of them had no actual water damage and had just essentially been parked on a hill, Mazda / their insurance company didn't want even any of the parts from those cars on the road. Even only for track usage. They were all crushed and recycled, along with every other ounce of metal on the ship.

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

The monkey is NOT impressed...

wdarkk posted:

I'm going to have to go find a picture of the technique they use to cut these, but it basically is just a giant bandsaw.

EDIT: Oh, Rent-A-Cop already discussed this.

EDIT: Anyway, here's some pictures of the process.

Probably similar to the cutting method at places that quarry marble and such..

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

Ding. Insurance paid for all of it already based on its actual value as an engine / cargo / etc, so what's left can only be scrapped. There was another wreck which I forget the name of that had scores of mid-'00s Mazdas on board, including a bunch of Mazda3s and I believe early NCs. Despite the fact that most of them had no actual water damage and had just essentially been parked on a hill, Mazda / their insurance company didn't want even any of the parts from those cars on the road. Even only for track usage. They were all crushed and recycled, along with every other ounce of metal on the ship.

3 months @ 15' sideways, over 3500 cars crushed. I remember reading that in either natgeo or new scientist back when.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Cakefool posted:

3 months @ 15' sideways, over 3500 cars crushed. I remember reading that in either natgeo or new scientist back when.
It was probably Wired.

The Race to Save the Cougar Ace
A Crushing Issue: How to Destroy Brand-New Cars

quote:

Little things make a big difference. For instance, most of the cars have six airbags, and discharging them individually (forcing them to inflate so they can't be resold) takes about five minutes apiece -- or a total of a half-hour per car. So engineers back at Mazda's headquarters, in Hiroshima, fashioned a device that can discharge all six at once.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I remember reading that Cougar Ace article about the ship salvage team a while ago. Seems like such an insane, incredible job.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

wdarkk posted:

I'm certain I've seen a documentary about that kind of bandsaw cutting. Discovery/natgeo most likely.

edit: Modern Marvels- Deep Sea Salvage
or maybe it was National Geographic - Deep Sea Salvage Heavy Metal <- k wasn't this just checked

Jusupov fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jan 23, 2012

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

The monkey is NOT impressed...

Hypnolobster posted:

I remember reading that Cougar Ace article about the ship salvage team a while ago. Seems like such an insane, incredible job.

I just read that story, and have the exact same feeling. It's like the Commandos of ship salvaging.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Jusupov posted:

I'm certain I've seen a documentary about that kind of bandsaw cutting. Discovery/natgeo most likely.

edit: Modern Marvels- Deep Sea Salvage
or maybe it was National Geographic - Deep Sea Salvage Heavy Metal

I saw it in one of the Nat Geo Salvage Code Red shows. natgeotv.com seems to have clips so if someone has time they can try to search for it.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It was probably Wired.

The Race to Save the Cougar Ace
A Crushing Issue: How to Destroy Brand-New Cars

5,500 cars at 60' for a couple of days, amazing what a few years does to the memory.

I'm still convinced it was New Scientist but I can't find the article, I'll blame the memory again.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

For the record, that was definitely the one I was thinking of, and that Wired article is outstanding.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Very timely.... salvage of the TK Bremen, which ran aground in France.

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2012/01/salvaging-the-tk-bremen/100231/

Captain dropped anchor in a storm but the anchors dragged across the bottom and it went ashore.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

So today when I got down to the garages after work, one of the tires seemed a bit deflated so I carefully took it to a gas station which is right across the street:

Must've caught a nail or something this morning and probably drove a good part of 20km this way. gently caress, I don't think I'll make it until spring now! They are PO's tires with just about the minimum amount of tread left for this season, so I really didn't want to shell out five hundred bucks for a new set only to use them for a month (plus, it snowed exactly once this year so far) and store them for the rest of the year.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
hit the junkyard and buy a used one, if you can find a matching or similar-tread-pattern tire of the same size. You'll pay under 50 bucks most likely.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

kastein posted:

hit the junkyard and buy a used one, if you can find a matching or similar-tread-pattern tire of the same size. You'll pay under 50 bucks most likely.

For $50 you can get a brand new Kumho or similar tire in most sizes.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Geirskogul posted:

For $50 you can get a brand new Kumho or similar tire in most sizes.

That seems like an awfully low profile; don't those tend to be more expensive?

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
You sound like my uncle. Every tire is low profile these days.

Mezmerized Machine
Dec 29, 2008
Some places will sell used tires for ~$60 or less. If you just need something to hold you over for a bit, you could ask around.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

ultimateforce posted:

You sound like my uncle. Every tire is low profile these days.

Well, they're 195/50/R15, I think that's one of the stock sizes available on the NBs. If I were buying wheels too I'd probably go for a higher profile for the winter set. As for the tires, any brand I've heard of costs over $100 and/or is out of stock, so I've been looking at used as suggested. Thanks!

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

mobby_6kl posted:

Well, they're 195/50/R15, I think that's one of the stock sizes available on the NBs. If I were buying wheels too I'd probably go for a higher profile for the winter set. As for the tires, any brand I've heard of costs over $100 and/or is out of stock, so I've been looking at used as suggested. Thanks!
Look at Hankook and Sumitomo.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Couple things from my last ship:

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:
I see water inside of a room that is inside of a ship. I know that water doesn't belong there and it terrifies me for some reason. :cry:

What was leaking/what caused it?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Is that a radiator spewing water/coolant?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Tanz-Kommandant posted:

I see water inside of a room that is inside of a ship. I know that water doesn't belong there and it terrifies me for some reason. :cry:

What was leaking/what caused it?

A relief valve lifted, this is a small room off to the side of the main engine room that I normally just glance into to see if there are any problems, and, well. I dunno how long the relief valve had been dumping for but it was several tonnes of water.

Chinatown posted:

Is that a radiator spewing water/coolant?

It's a heat exchanger, so more or less, yeah.

dor1
Jun 5, 2011

Two Finger posted:

A relief valve lifted, this is a small room off to the side of the main engine room that I normally just glance into to see if there are any problems, and, well. I dunno how long the relief valve had been dumping for but it was several tonnes of water.
Wait, why is there a relief valve inside the cooler? I thought they were always before/after the cooler.

edit: also, why isn't there a water sensor or some such poo poo in there?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

The two problems are actually unrelated, they just happened on the same day. The big pool of water is from one system, the heat exchanger leak is from the cooling for the main engines.

The reason there isn't a water sensor there is to give me something to do - it's the engineers' job to find things like this and fix them.

dor1
Jun 5, 2011

Two Finger posted:

The two problems are actually unrelated, they just happened on the same day. The big pool of water is from one system, the heat exchanger leak is from the cooling for the main engines.

The reason there isn't a water sensor there is to give me something to do - it's the engineers' job to find things like this and fix them.

I just thought most 'rooms' where the coolers are had flotation sensors that activated a bilge pump.

VVVVVVV - I am an illiterate dumbass

dor1 fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jan 30, 2012

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Yes, but you keep missing the part where the two problems were entirely unrelated, the room where that water is did not have a bilge well/sensor.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Not the worst pic in here, but bearing failures are always fun. And in this case, it sounded exactly like a CV joint in its death throws. 2 whacks with the slide hammer and metal flew everywhere.

That bearing was only about 7 months old too. :(

Wonder how far I could have driven on that. :haw:

IAmGod
May 1, 2003
No seriousley I am

This '72 Charger used to be my daily driver until I had to take it into a guard rail to avoid hitting someone this afternoon. Poor baby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Post Pictures of Horrible Metallurgical Failures

Actually I don't have any pictures and they wouldn't really be spectacular anyways but holy poo poo TMX stop selling us bad aluminum :mad: