Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating

nm posted:

That is ~6 6oz "cups" which is what some use.
Yeah, I guess 1000 mL should be enough for my purposes. I'll probably get it. It looks as if it's high-quality, and the $23 price tag isn't too bad either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Is 30 the right setting to use on a Maestro Plus for aeropressed coffee?

Thanks again for the SF coffee suggestions. Blue Bottle was a great way to start my day off before heading off for boring conferences in Moscone.

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011

Residency Evil posted:

Is 30 the right setting to use on a Maestro Plus for aeropressed coffee?

Thanks again for the SF coffee suggestions. Blue Bottle was a great way to start my day off before heading off for boring conferences in Moscone.
I don't have that grinder, but that might be too course. Aeropress guides I've been looking at recommend a grind on the finer side, like sand.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Hario has a V60 02 coffee pot (I have one) and it has markings for 5 cups or 600ml. It is too much for an 02 filter but the larger 03 filter you can run up to 5 cups into it. The 03 pot holds 800ml

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_sr_kitchen?_encoding=UTF8&node=1055398&field-brandtextbin=Hario

I ran a full 8 cups through the Bonavita and had two thermometers in the water and grounds and it was hitting 195, again it doesn't get up to that temp until after the 4th cup.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Keyser S0ze posted:

Hario has a V60 02 coffee pot (I have one) and it has markings for 5 cups or 600ml. It is too much for an 02 filter but the larger 03 filter you can run up to 5 cups into it. The 03 pot holds 800ml

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_sr_kitchen?_encoding=UTF8&node=1055398&field-brandtextbin=Hario

I ran a full 8 cups through the Bonavita and had two thermometers in the water and grounds and it was hitting 195, again it doesn't get up to that temp until after the 4th cup.

Thank you for testing the Bonavita (and saving me from buying it three days ago out of gearlust). I wonder how the SCAA certified it if it has such a long warmup? That doesn't sound like appropriate behavior IMO.. I think the drip machine needs a redesign like those guys on Kickstarter who did the PID Espresso machine.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

Keyser S0ze posted:

I am literally just sticking the thermometer into the stream of water coming out which is easy on the Bonavita since it's not all enclosed.

As discussed previously in the thread, sticking a thermometer in a stream of water isn't a very accurate way of checking the temperature. A more accurate method is to draw the water into a styrofoam cup, but it isn't perfect.

Keyser S0ze posted:

With any drip brewer (or pourover in general) there is going to be significant heat loss when the water first hits the grounds. It evens out as more hot water is added.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Guy at the coffee shop down the street conviced me to get a pound of this stuff:

Ethiopia Worka

Good Lord. I'm totally getting strawberry in the aftertaste. Fantastic stuff.

PainBreak
Jun 9, 2001

dema posted:

Guy at the coffee shop down the street conviced me to get a pound of this stuff:

Ethiopia Worka

Good Lord. I'm totally getting strawberry in the aftertaste. Fantastic stuff.

Dry process Ethiopia beans (particularly from the Sidama (formerly Sidamo) region) are my absolute favorite. At a medium roast, the acidity is perfect, and the roast doesn't overpower / cook off the cherry's flavor. I roast about 1.5lbs of beans per week, which keeps my wife and I in awesome coffee heaven. In fact, I just had some this morning. :)

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Bob_McBob posted:

As discussed previously in the thread, sticking a thermometer in a stream of water isn't a very accurate way of checking the temperature. A more accurate method is to draw the water into a styrofoam cup, but it isn't perfect.

With any drip brewer (or pourover in general) there is going to be significant heat loss when the water first hits the grounds. It evens out as more hot water is added.

Oh yeah, I am fully aware of that and am not offering conclusive evidence that the Bonavita unit doesn't hit the full 200+ degrees until after the first few cups have been processed. It just appears that way to me with my lovely, inconclusive, non-test kitchen testing. I had one thermometer in the stream and the other digital thermometer in the grounds, and the grounds themselves actually got up over 190 so I'd surmise that is proof enough that the water is
getting over 200. I will get around to having the water drip directly into a styrofoam cup and testing it at different batch sizes (2,4,6,8 cups) and seeing if that theory is correct.

Still at $149, it's a very nice unit and with its preferable drip head when compared to the Capresso/Zojurishi thermo-carafe units, and it seems to brew hotter and be better overall even though it doesn't have all the digital clock/timer, etc features the others have (if any buyer really wanted that.)

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jan 24, 2012

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

I hate the days when I wake up and realize that I was too lazy to refill on coffee the day before, and I have to make a pot of my girlfriends's Starbuck's. I, my friends, fed the machine today.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Anderron Shi posted:

I hate the days when I wake up and realize that I was too lazy to refill on coffee the day before, and I have to make a pot of my girlfriends's Starbuck's. I, my friends, fed the machine today.

This is one reason why it's great to have a large stock of green coffee and a roaster.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

GrAviTy84 posted:

This is one reason why it's great to have a large stock of green coffee and a roaster.

It's great to have that, but sadly it does you little good on that lazy morning when you didn't roast a batch the night before.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

El Disco posted:

It's great to have that, but sadly it does you little good on that lazy morning when you didn't roast a batch the night before.

meh, I know you're not supposed to, but I've roasted then brewed a few times, it's not that big of a deal, just allow for more bloom time.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

GrAviTy84 posted:

Yeah, that would be nice. We have a local roaster here, and I get my coffee from a shop they distribute to. They get their fresh roasted coffee every Monday night, and on Tuesday morning I buy a pound. But I didn't have time to go today :(

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Roasting coffee first thing in the morning is a pain in the rear end.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

withak posted:

Roasting coffee first thing in the morning is a pain in the rear end.
Yeah, I have enough trouble grinding beans fresh in the morning.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

origami posted:

Are there other drip coffee makers you all could recommend? The amazon reviews on this gear make me pretty apprehensive.

My parents have one (Zojirushi) thanks to this thread, and I have to say that I haven't been disappointed in the machine at all- and my parents have been impressed- it was a great deal of an upgrade over their broken delonghi. They took a bit adjusting to the fact that it doesn't sit on a heater, and you do need to close up the pot to keep it from getting cold though. The top part twists on/off but also to open/close, and it comes with a 'lid' to put the hole where the coffee drips into. (Note: you can't have the lid on and have it sitting under the filter)

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

Got a pound of Ethiopian Sidamo tonight, just roasted yesterday! No more Starbucks for me.

Deus Rex
Mar 5, 2005

I've been french pressing my coffee for about 5 months with a blade grinder, getting really tired of it but I'm not quite ready yet to spend $150+ on a burr grinder that can do espresso grinds which I don't even need quite yet. So I think I'm going to go with a hand grinder, does anyone have any thoughts on this one from Kyocera? The reviews seem to be a little better than the Skerton for about the same price but I haven't seen it mentioned here.

http://www.amazon.com/Kyocera-CM-50-CF-Ceramic-Grinder/dp/B003S9XF7K/

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

Deus Rex posted:

I've been french pressing my coffee for about 5 months with a blade grinder, getting really tired of it but I'm not quite ready yet to spend $150+ on a burr grinder that can do espresso grinds which I don't even need quite yet. So I think I'm going to go with a hand grinder, does anyone have any thoughts on this one from Kyocera? The reviews seem to be a little better than the Skerton for about the same price but I haven't seen it mentioned here.

I'm pretty sure that is the Skerton. It looks identical, anyway.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
New coffee shop is opening up here! They're apparently going to be serving Counter-Culture and Intelligentsia coffees made via pour-over 1 cup at a time. I got so excited I sent a copy of my resume over.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Someone tell me what is the big deal about Intelligentsia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xzA-Op1soo&feature=player_detailpage#t=33s

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Someone tell me what is the big deal about Intelligentsia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xzA-Op1soo&feature=player_detailpage#t=33s

They're one of the best roasters in the country. Although people from LA will think they are an LA only thing, they are actually from Chicago. They are known for being incredibly spergy about their coffee and espresso. Fresh roasted coffee roasted by multiple international award winning roasters and blenders brewed by multiple international award winning baristas, they are arguably one of the best if not the best coffee purveyors in the country, and one of the best in the world. This does not come cheap, and they tend to be pretty pricey. That is not to say that they are the end all of coffee, but it suffices to say that you will most likely not have a bad cup if you go there. I wish they had a manual machine though :/

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Thanks. I think I'm going to get a CCD, which will be my first foray into real non-freeze-dried coffee. Coffee has always been a voodoo mystery to me but this thread has cleared things up enough for me to finally try out the real stuff.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Aaaaand look what we have here

http://gizmodo.com/5879161/how-to-beat-a-k+cup-with-simple-coffee-gadgets

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Deus Rex posted:

I have it, and like it, but it's a slowish process. I sit and watch tv while I grind up some beans.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Has anyone tried Tonx before? The price seems agreeable and a free half pound is rather tempting.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Steve Yun posted:

Aaaaand look what we have here

http://gizmodo.com/5879161/how-to-beat-a-k+cup-with-simple-coffee-gadgets

"Can you make flavored coffee with them? Yes. And, you know, if you want your coffee to smell and taste like the stock room at a Yankee Candle store, by all means, buy yourself some K-Cups." And hey, that's...pretty much the reason I have a one of those

Deus Rex
Mar 5, 2005

torgeaux posted:

I have it, and like it, but it's a slowish process. I sit and watch tv while I grind up some beans.

coffee is a very ritualistic thing for me so this part I might not mind so much. thanks!

Gaph
May 15, 2007

Deus Rex posted:

I'm in the same boat. This Hario has a lot of good reviews. My only concern is the capacity, only ~1/4 cup of beans or enough for 12 ounces?

http://www.amazon.com/Hario-MSS-1B-Mini-Coffee-Grinder/dp/B001804CLY

Gaph fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jan 28, 2012

grabulasa
Apr 3, 2005
i'm new. beee nice
I know each brew methods have their own pros and extract different nuances from the beans yadayada but I'm gonna make this statement based on my experience:

Clever Coffee Dripper >>Aeropress

There I said it. Might be a personal preference but I'm looking for ppl who share the same sentiment. The CCD just brings out the coffee better compared to the aggressive aero.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
Keep in mind there are a number of different ways you can use an Aeropress, and the inventor's wacky low temp method is by far the worst.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Gaph posted:

I'm in the same boat. This Hario has a lot of good reviews. My only concern is the capacity, only ~1/4 cup of beans or enough for 12 ounces?

http://www.amazon.com/Hario-MSS-1B-Mini-Coffee-Grinder/dp/B001804CLY
Oh it is big enough, but they seem to be pretty low quality these days. I have modded the poo poo out of my mini mill by now. It has an eccentric shaft (due to a poor build quality), which means no matter what I do the grind is very inconsistent. I've had to unmod it a bit, otherwise, the burrs would just rub against each other.
I don't really think the Mini Mill should be in the OP anymore. It may have been good one, but it is a POS now.

nm fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jan 28, 2012

Gaph
May 15, 2007

I skimmed the thread but didn't see any mention 'skimming' for french presses? Brew as usual but before the plunge use two spoons to skim the cake of coffee grounds and foam that collect at the top. Then plunge as usual. Makes a much cleaner cup, dramatically cuts down on the sludge.

http://www.jimseven.com/2008/11/13/french-press-technique/

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

nm posted:

Oh it is big enough, but they seem to be pretty low quality these days. I have modded the poo poo out of my mini mill by now. It has an eccentric shaft (due to a poor build quality), which means no matter what I do the grind is very inconsistent. I've had to unmod it a bit, otherwise, the burrs would just rub against each other.
I don't really think the Mini Mill should be in the OP anymore. It may have been good one, but it is a POS now.

What would you suggest as a replacement near that price point then?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

What would you suggest as a replacement near that price point then?

I don't know. I haven't heard nearly the complaints of the Skerton once you do the spring mod. This isn't an endorsement though as I haven't used it.
I gave up and bought a Maestro Plus, which are about $100 refurbed.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Could the same mod be used on a mini? Its cheaper and the size is more appropriate for my 2 cups at a time drinking habit.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Could the same mod be used on a mini? Its cheaper and the size is more appropriate for my 2 cups at a time drinking habit.

Not really. The problem with the mini is that it has side to side slop and when you shim it the eccentric shaft still fucks you over. Again, I've modded the hell of of my mini. It still sucks.

Forumpost
Jan 17, 2012

Anderron Shi posted:

Got a pound of Ethiopian Sidamo tonight, just roasted yesterday! No more Starbucks for me.

I just got a fresh pound of Ethiopian mocha java today from my local roaster. My first time trying Ethiopian coffee and it's pretty drat good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Gaph posted:

I skimmed the thread but didn't see any mention 'skimming' for french presses? Brew as usual but before the plunge use two spoons to skim the cake of coffee grounds and foam that collect at the top. Then plunge as usual. Makes a much cleaner cup, dramatically cuts down on the sludge.

http://www.jimseven.com/2008/11/13/french-press-technique/

That seems to go against the point of the french press, pushing water through the grounds. Though I do like the idea of meassuring water by mass, I just got my scale and thermapen and I do that. I even tablated what # of cups equal what and tested how accurate my meassuring cups are.