Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
Once again, SAGCCX does an excellent job! I really enjoyed the Yo! Noid! (I'm too lazy to find the Japanese name) episode a lot. :)

Also, during the segments where Arino went to three cities to promote the DS game, did anyone else think that the meet-and-greets felt kinda lame compared to the USA one? I'm sure part of it is that they didn't actually know how many people would show up to the USA one, and they seemed really surprised and happy when they saw the crowd. That is still one of my favorite moments from the show that I like to re-watch from time to time. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'm watching the USA special right now, and it's simply wonderful.

Yogaaa, whoa-ha!

I laughed so hard at the Uncle Fester machine bit.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
My only wish is for them to do a special with a modern game some day, it would be fun to see how he would handle some FPS games.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Not (quite) what you're asking for, but he does play Tekki/Steel Battalion in one of the earliest segments.

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

the least weasel posted:

My only wish is for them to do a special with a modern game some day, it would be fun to see how he would handle some FPS games.

I thought about it, and decided it wouldn't be as fun in the end.

The Japanese in general aren't big on FPS games, and Arino would likely have problems just controlling the camera. It would be an ultimately miserable experience for him and for you (the viewer, who would likely get dizzy just watching him spazz around the screen).

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
I don't really see how that is different from watching him play Ninja Gaiden or Sonic. :) He always gets a handle on the controls after a while, though.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Wouldn't the violence be a problem for most FPS games? I'm struggling to recall a time they've shown anything bloody/gorey.

I think that, in addition to the controls and the length of modern games would cause a problem.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006

DiscoJ posted:

Wouldn't the violence be a problem for most FPS games? I'm struggling to recall a time they've shown anything bloody/gorey.
The Top Secret Episode: Golgo 13 episode had some blood IIRC. I'm surprised that game even got released in the US since Nintendo of America used to be insane about censoring anything graphic and/or religious in games.

VVV Have him do an entire episode for The Kid's levels in Super Meat Boy. :v:

Obeast fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Jan 23, 2012

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

DiscoJ posted:

I think that, in addition to the controls and the length of modern games would cause a problem.

That's why they should have him play arcade/downloadable games, like Super Meat Boy :haw:

(In all seriousness, it's probably easier to get through the main campaign of that game than it is to beat Quest of Ki)

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
I'd love to see him do some modern games with the retro asthetic--Super Meat Boy, or La Mulana, or mayb eSpelunky.

Pity that's not really the format--given that he plays so many old (bad?) games, he has a unique viewpoint not shaped by nostalgia. It'd be interesting to hear his thoughts on more modern takes on the same genres.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

DiscoJ posted:

Japanese FPS releases are already heavily censored.

It's quite a flip from the days of the NES...

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Random Stranger posted:

Japanese FPS releases are already heavily censored.

To clarify and expand on that a bit, politicians in Japan have been beating the 'Media is corrupting our nation!' drum for quite some time now, and between self-censorship and legal restrictions, you see a lot less gore coming out of Japanese games now compared to even the PS2 era. It's pretty sad.

Opal
May 10, 2005

Haha oh yeah, isn't Japan where they played Police vs Aliens rather than Terrorists vs Counter-terrorists in CS?

Anyway at this point I'm not hugely bothered with the retro angle as much as I enjoy seeing Arino be bad at games.

Mr_D
Jan 28, 2001

I have no sense of humor. I like to crap on everyone's good time by being a jerk. Take a ride on my turd rainbow!
In the Doraemon episode, he went to a shop specializing in Western games. He played some Incredible Hulk, and enjoyed God of War.

Maybe it's because I'm watching the episodes out of order, but it doesn't seem like Arino has gotten much better.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mr_D posted:

In the Doraemon episode, he went to a shop specializing in Western games. He played some Incredible Hulk, and enjoyed God of War.

Maybe it's because I'm watching the episodes out of order, but it doesn't seem like Arino has gotten much better.

Trust me on this. He's gotten a lot better. He's no "Retro Game Master" by any stretch of the definition and there's still a few things that will trip him up (shooters, for example) but he's less likely to get stuck like he did in the past.

I think you'll see more of it come out as more episodes from about season ten on get translated.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Mystic Mongol posted:

I'd love to see him do some modern games with the retro asthetic--Super Meat Boy, or La Mulana, or mayb eSpelunky.

Pity that's not really the format--given that he plays so many old (bad?) games, he has a unique viewpoint not shaped by nostalgia. It'd be interesting to hear his thoughts on more modern takes on the same genres.

Man, Spelunky would be perfect for the format of the show. They'd have a ton of great unique footage since he'd be playing a new dungeon every time, discovering new tricks, items, etc. He'd almost certainly try to steal or shoot the shopkeeper, too.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Kiranamos posted:

Man, Spelunky would be perfect for the format of the show. They'd have a ton of great unique footage since he'd be playing a new dungeon every time, discovering new tricks, items, etc. He'd almost certainly try to steal or shoot the shopkeeper, too.
His reaction when he inevitably chucks a damsel into a spike pit would be hilarious. Plus, every other enemy in that game is a bastard, so his reaction to those would be great. Hell, they might get enough material for two episodes.

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Fucking blocks... I'm gonna climb the shit outta you!
I was really disappointed when SNES Doom didn't work in the USA special.

I think if you were to get Arino working on an FPS, it would have to be something like that though.

Nalk
Jul 13, 2009

I heard about you!
You could really see the skills he developed in the latest translated episode. It wasn't the most difficult platforming in the world but he showed some skill.

Egregious
Oct 29, 2011
A new episode and my Giants are going to the Super Bowl. What a glorious day this is.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Man, Kibe's face when they were all told that Arino missed his train stop. He just looks so disgusted. "You've got to be loving kidding me."

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
Arino's a fan of the Resident Evil series. I wouldn't mind seeing him play RE2, or some RE5 co-op between him and a former AD.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

zari-gani posted:

Arino's a fan of the Resident Evil series. I wouldn't mind seeing him play RE2, or some RE5 co-op between him and a former AD.

I love it when Arino plays Capcom games. He has a mixed record when it comes to capcom games. Megaman challenges are tough for him and is always wondering when he will play the next sequel. The Ghosts N Goblins games are always going to get a bad reaction from Arino. And Yo Noid gave him a little trouble. Final Fight gave him so much trouble and Street Fighter 2 is not his type of game. Street Fighter 2010 was a hard as nails platformer, even though I have not seen this episode yet. Finally, the quiz game by Capcom provided a good challenge. I can't wait for the next Capcom game the make him play, especially when he plays another magaman game.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

disregard

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jan 23, 2012

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Hanamaru was a surprisingly tense episode. Thank you very much!

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
I guess now we know where the designers of the Game Center CX DS game got the idea for a ninja who'd die if his ankles got wet.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
Some more file hosting sites switched to the personal use only mode that Filesonic did yesterday:

Fileserve
FileJungle
UploadStation
4shared
x7.to
UploadBox
FilePost
VideoBB
VideoZer

If it ever came down to it would you guys accept donations for a hosting server?

cronox2 fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jan 23, 2012

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

cronox2 posted:

If it ever came down to it would you guys accept donations for a hosting server?

That wouldn't work. You won't get away with it using some "unlimited bandwidth" host, so you'll need a VPS plan or dedicated host. Those have limited bandwidth and are very expensive.

Torrents or even usenet would be a better idea.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Grawl posted:

Torrents or even usenet would be a better idea.

Usenets out because ISP's just don't have news servers anymore. Distributing on usenet would become a pretty high barrier to entry for people and those have to be avoided. If things do go belly up with file distribution services then we'll probably wind up using torrents. They'll be a huge pain to initially seed though...

Edit: Grawl's mirror is appreciated but it's not a long term solution. As he noted it's a hefty bandwidth strain.

Egregious
Oct 29, 2011
Really enjoyed the Hanamaru episode. I was really intrigued by how boss battles worked in the game.

zari-gani posted:

I think that's where a lot of the show's appeal comes from -- how non-intimidating it is to casual gamers. It's inviting to those who struggle with Super Mario World or didn't have the privilege of having access to a lot of games growing up. It's a good way to hook people into the series. "Do you like games but suck at them? Well so does he! There's no shame! Finally, a show for the amateurs!"

I also enjoy that the show brings a strange comfort where you may have been playing games for most of your life, yet there are a couple of ones in your past that you probably suck at. I completely sympathize with Arino on SMB3. Unless I get two warp whistles and head straight to World 8, that game is going to kick my rear end. Heck, I played SMB1 as part of the 3DS Ambassador Program and I made it to World 7-3 before getting a Game Over and starting from 1-1.

Nice to know he's a fan of RE. RE2 is probably my favorite of the franchise next to 4. Would love to see him attempt either of them.

Bradster
Aug 14, 2004

Ryan Reynolds brings a brilliant new form of acting in every movie he does!
It's probably best to give the upcoming episodes to a few different people with high upload speed that are willing to do the initial seeding. If torrents are considered I would be willing to do this. I only have about a 5mbit up, but that's not too bad considering the size of the episodes.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

redmercer posted:

I guess now we know where the designers of the Game Center CX DS game got the idea for a ninja who'd die if his ankles got wet.

No doubt. I really gotta make a library of all known/supposed references in those games. Maybe as one of them newfangled iPad textbooks! Yeah!!!

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
I can't get enough of this show! Thanks so much for the translations, so far I've watched up to Adventure Island from season 4.

Small correction for the OP:

The link to episode 80 - Kirby's Adventure, is currently going to the same URL as episode 73 and should be changed to http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=torrentinfo&tid=223227

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
A general question: where would one procure Arino's trademark worker's suits? I remember successfully Googling one or two sites that sell them but it remained unclear whether or not they ship overseas. I think rdbbb has some experience of buying the suits, right?

EDIT:

Thanks!

jyrque fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Jan 24, 2012

makere
Jan 14, 2012

zari-gani posted:

I have a feeling that Arino played Resident Evil at some special (that I stumbled on youtube half a year ago). But I probably misremember it.

EDIT: Yeah misremembered it, he was just talking about the games and playing small parts of them to show off; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAAV6Z56JKI

makere fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Jan 24, 2012

Skyelan
Sep 17, 2007

Found this and started watching like three weeks ago, totally hooked and only have a few eps left. Got three of my friends, my friend's brother, and most of an IRC I idle around into it. Now five or so of us gather round and watch episodes together pretty regularly.

There's just something so uncomplicated and fun about the show. Just a guy who even when he's good at video games isn't super great, overcoming hard challenges, with an aggressively endearing personality, entertaining support staff, the fun side segments... Even once it's over I usually end up on an old game kick cause I felt like playing them again or trying out things I never heard of but look neat.

Arino plays like I and I'd bet most people did as kids, just plugging away, excited at every victory, loving when he finds a secret or exploit and giving no shits about making full use of them, the way every time Inoko MAX tries to co-op it goes exactly like how co-op really goes and it's hilariously great anyway, etc. It's all very human I guess.

And the last seven minutes of the USA Special are just the best, man... I'm sure everyone's else said all this before, but I'm still just surprised at how great it is. Feel good show of the century. :unsmith:

edit: Realized I just gushed about the show, when I gotta heap on some praise to you guys subbing it. These are really good, it's kind of amazing to think it's just a fan effort. Avoiding just direct translation for the sake of that little extra polish really helps enhance (or I suppose successfully translate) the personality of it. Good on ya, cause man I can't even imagine how much work some of these must be.

Skyelan fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Jan 24, 2012

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Skyelan posted:

And the last seven minutes of the USA Special are just the best, man... I'm sure everyone's else said all this before, but I'm still just surprised at how great it is. Feel good show of the century. :unsmith:

Do you know the Kacho!?

Yeah!

Do you know the Kacho!?

Yeaaaahhhhh!!!

DO YOU KNOW THE KACHOOOOO!?

YEAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

But I think my favorite moment has to be when he freaks out over the size difference of the NES and SNES in America. It's such a simple but endearing moment.

Also, if there really is a segment where he plays RE2, I'm dying to see it.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

jyrque posted:

A general question: where would one procure Arino's trademark worker's suits? I remember successfully Googling one or two sites that sell them but it remained unclear whether or not they ship overseas. I think rdbbb has some experience of buying the suits, right?

Posted in the old thread.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006

Primoman posted:

Do you know the Kacho!?

Yeah!

Do you know the Kacho!?

Yeaaaahhhhh!!!

DO YOU KNOW THE KACHOOOOO!?

YEAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!
Thank you. :)

Primoman posted:

But I think my favorite moment has to be when he freaks out over the size difference of the NES and SNES in America. It's such a simple but endearing moment.
That was pretty awesome to see. It's too bad that they never went into the history about why the NES looked so different from the Famicom, because it's actually a pretty interesting piece of video game history. But, that would've taken a bit of time since it has to do with the Video Game Crash of '83, which would need an explanation in itself since it apparently didn't affect Japan at all from what I've heard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

quote:

Hello,

While investigating high server load, we found a very large amount of HTTP traffic going to the .avi files hosted within the smokeord account on this server. Game+Center+CX+058+-+Masked+Ninja+Hanamaru.avi received traffic to the point where other sites hosted on the same server were negatively impacted.

I have disabled this file for now to prevent further abuse. Please contact us to resolve this.

Regards,

Omar L. NixiHost.com

Sorry guys, so much for hosting on my site.