Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Me and Manac0r spent nearly two loving hours on Lost in Nightmares' DLC, trying to outdo Wesker in melee as our guns were useless - we got the Everyone Was Kung Fu Fightin' achievement for doing a certain amount of damage to Wesker, and it suddenly twigged: you're not meant to fight him, you're meant to survive him. :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intelligibility
Apr 8, 2011

Get shovel!

Bonaventure posted:

Honest to God, I would rather watch any given Uwe Boll movie than any of the RE movies.

Careful, you do realize he made that Auschwitz movie right? :nms:

At least the first and second Re movies are just dumb enough to be mindless entertainment.

I mean, you can focus on the bad acting or how the story makes even less sense than in the games,
and lets be honest here, the games dont exactly make a whole lot of sense either (see The Dark Id LPs).

Though the third and fourth movie were just boring (especially the third, never finished that one),
I'm not sure these movies could've been done in a way that would have satisfied die-hard fans while still bringing in enough money to make more than one.

Chocolate America
Nov 5, 2008

by garbage day

DO IT TO IT posted:

What's the general consensus on the 2 RE5 DLC campaigns? I mean the one with Josh and Jill and then the one that's in the mansion(?) or something. Are either of them worth picking up?

Yeah they're both good and worth picking up. Lost in Nightmares is a great throwback to RE1 and Desperate Escape is much longer and has a lot more action. I played both of them co-op several times and had a great time.

Warning: Desperate Escape on Professional difficulty is a nightmare and it took us forever to beat but at the same time it was refreshing to have a decent challenge in a video game for once since most of RE5 was a cakewalk.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DO IT TO IT posted:

What's the general consensus on the 2 RE5 DLC campaigns? I mean the one with Josh and Jill and then the one that's in the mansion(?) or something. Are either of them worth picking up?

They're fun. LiN is pretty much one-and-done. DE has a bit more replay value because it is so action-oriented while LiN is more puzzles which... well, once you're done, the limited amount of randomization doesn't do much.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
DE is it worth it purely for the gut punch they give you near the end.

I'm gonna be late, just two more minutes!

:haw:

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

Thanks guys! Perhaps I'll check them out this weekend.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

I pull down the curtain, wantin to do me some dirtin aint nuthin better then jerkin my gerkin so I start with some flirtin

But my magic find aint working so I can't do no spurtin its got Wirt's feelins all hurtin, and his wooden leg stops all perking

Revitalized posted:

Ugh I found the USS jackets that they were giving away on InsertedEvil. Since I pretty much missed the whole contest, I searched it up to see if I could just obtain one normally and it's $149. Argh. And then like a $10 shipping on top of that.

Man, that's steep. The t-shirts look great, though. Wouldn't mind getting one of those.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

thetrin posted:

The t-shirts look great, though. Wouldn't mind getting one of those.

I like the licker shirt since unless you knew what you were looking at, it would mean nothing to most people. But it is still a distinct RE design unlike the groping hands shirt.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

I pull down the curtain, wantin to do me some dirtin aint nuthin better then jerkin my gerkin so I start with some flirtin

But my magic find aint working so I can't do no spurtin its got Wirt's feelins all hurtin, and his wooden leg stops all perking

Vakal posted:

I like the licker shirt since unless you knew what you were looking at, it would mean nothing to most people. But it is still a distinct RE design unlike the groping hands shirt.

I did like that one a lot. I'm very tempted to get the USS Polo, or the USS hoodie.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Vakal posted:

The zombie hands t-shirt is from the Japanese/European cover of Resident Evil Outbreak.

I always really liked this box art. Kind of sad they went with generic gun for the USA one.

Mrs. Badcrumble
Sep 21, 2002
Fuuuuuuck I'm doing The Mercenaries again on RE4's HD version and this is so brutally hard when you aren't used to it, don't remember where every single grenade is, et cetera.

Tolwyn
Jun 13, 2001
I just recently got RE4 on PC and installed the enhanced environment mods and the game looks pretty drat good, only problem is the mouse controls seem to suck incredible amounts of balls. Works just fine with a 360 controller connected though and looks much better than the other versions in my opinion. Might even make me want to buy #5 when I see it on sale.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Outbreak had problems...boy did it have problems... but I still found myself enjoying it when I played it. I liked "random group of people band together to avoid zombies in a time-sensitive situation," I liked the clever options you had regarding the cure and the final boss, and I thought it was actually pretty good-looking. If only the load times weren't so abysmal...

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I always found it nice to see that when a lot of people look back at Outbreak it's generally "well it wasn't so bad". The thing was way ahead of its time to work and be damned if Capcom was going to listen. If Capcom gave them the RE4/CVX "HD Remastering" treatment I'd gladly plunk down $20-30 for them (as long as they had the online play)

The very first scenario in File #1 is, to me, one of the highest moments of the classic RE style.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

Speedball posted:

Outbreak had problems...boy did it have problems... but I still found myself enjoying it when I played it. I liked "random group of people band together to avoid zombies in a time-sensitive situation," I liked the clever options you had regarding the cure and the final boss, and I thought it was actually pretty good-looking. If only the load times weren't so abysmal...

I liked Outbreak a lot. It was very much a product of its time, though. So much of its intentional design just wouldn't play today (and if I remember correctly, didn't really play in the US when it first came out, based on reviews)

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

After REmake, RE2, & RE4, Outbreak is my favourite in the series. I too would plunk down $30 for an HD remake with a good coop system in place.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

I was actually surprised how little I liked RE0. I got that as a Christmas gift just after the game came out, and I really didn't like the way you had to switch between characters and leave them in places.

I feel like the game could have benefited greatly from proper co-op.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
RE0 is just like this big lack of effort. It's RE on a train.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Tolwyn posted:

I just recently got RE4 on PC and installed the enhanced environment mods and the game looks pretty drat good, only problem is the mouse controls seem to suck incredible amounts of balls. Works just fine with a 360 controller connected though and looks much better than the other versions in my opinion. Might even make me want to buy #5 when I see it on sale.

I would also suggest the high resolution menus mod as well if you don't already have it.

http://z6.invisionfree.com/Resident_Evil_4_PC/index.php?showtopic=2743

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Thundercracker posted:

RE0 is just like this big lack of effort. It's RE on a train.

But then you get off the train and find a brand new environment! A mansion in the woods! :v:

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Crowetron posted:

But then you get off the train and find a brand new environment! A mansion in the woods! :v:

And leeches! Don't forget how the kids these days love their leeches.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.
Zombie leeches with teeth that morphed into a JRPG, if I remember right.

RE0 was the greatest game, I don't know what you all are talking about.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I'll always remember RE0 because of Wesker and Birkin having the lamest Saturday night known to Man.

"Hey you wanna come over to my underground lab place and huddle around a little computer watching a dude in a dress laugh at us?"
"DO I!?"

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Policenaut posted:

I'll always remember RE0 because of Wesker and Birkin having the lamest Saturday night known to Man.

"Hey you wanna come over to my underground lab place and huddle around a little computer watching a dude in a dress laugh at us?"
"DO I!?"

At least Birkin managed to find a wife and father a kid during his career at umbrella.

The best Wesker managed was making a poorly photoshopped picture of Rebecca in a highschool sports outfit and hiding it in his desk.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Policenaut posted:

"DO I!?"

If the whole game was Wesker and Willie B just hanging around a dark room watching the protagonist blunder around on a tiny monitor while making awkward small talk, it'd be the best game in the series.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.

Vakal posted:

At least Birkin managed to find a wife and father a kid during his career at umbrella.

The best Wesker managed was making a poorly photoshopped picture of Rebecca in a highschool sports outfit and hiding it in his desk.
Wesker's true love is bothering the poo poo out of Jill and Chris. That's why he simply can't bring himself to kill them.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Wesker just wants a friend :smith:

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

"Seven minutes. Seven minutes to talk to another human being is all I want." :smith:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hey, Wesker had a friend in RE5! She was just a crazy lady and he wanted her dead.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Hey, Wesker had a friend in RE5! She was just a crazy lady and he wanted her dead.

Are we talking about creepy boob lady or creepy Steve Buscemi clone?

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Azubah posted:

Are we talking about creepy boob lady or creepy Steve Buscemi clone?

Okay that's two friends then. Also :aaa: he IS a Steve Buscemi clone isn't he?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I dunno Wesker seemed pretty dismissive towards everyone but Chris in RE5. He seemed to enjoy hanging out with Birkin at least, well enough that he was willing to kill a whole evening watching Rebecca Chambers and Billy Coen dick around a mansion for an evening with him.

Was Not-Buscemi even ever in a scene with Wesker? I've beaten RE5 like 4 times and I can't remember.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Policenaut posted:

I dunno Wesker seemed pretty dismissive towards everyone but Chris in RE5. He seemed to enjoy hanging out with Birkin at least, well enough that he was willing to kill a whole evening watching Rebecca Chambers and Billy Coen dick around a mansion for an evening with him.

Was Not-Buscemi even ever in a scene with Wesker? I've beaten RE5 like 4 times and I can't remember.

I'm pretty sure he wasn't actually. The most interaction he had was with masked Jill. I don't think we even saw him with Excella, even though he references her.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Outbreak was ahead of its time... yeah, that's a good assessment. Heck, would Left 4 Dead be the same if Outbreak hadn't tried basically the same concept first?

Electric Slug
Oct 30, 2011
Overall, I think outbreak gave me the best moments of RE gaming just because of how awesome you felt when four complete strangers that couldn't communicate would be able to somehow brute force their way through hell, all the while showing a degree of cooperation (at least early on, before everyone would just speed run it). I mean, to nerd out, I still have a fond memory from the multiplayer with complete strangers:

In the hospital level you're chased throughout by a madman wielding an ax, and the end of the level involves you gathering chemicals to take out a plant monster which is holding up the crumbling building. Destroying it causes obvious side effects, such as the guy going ballistic (turns out it's his wife) and you rushing through the destruction while he hunts you. We had lost a guy already and the three of us were limping to the end convoy style, and as we got to the exit the ax man was guarding the exit and charged at us. One of our guys had an ax and ran into the fray and started hacking at him while using the run command to tell us to book it, and we got out with less than a five seconds to spare while they both perished in the ruble. I still think that's the most :black101: thing that ever happened in that game, and I will gladly throw money at a HD remake or anything that brings back the feeling of not being some totally awesome special agent that flips around with laser sights and throws knives at midgets.

Also, that theme, my god that was the best RE theme that they made. It made you feel so lonely and desperate :(

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The Outbreak File #2 Trailer has some of the neatest music. It's easily my most favorite trailer in the series. (Plus it has ATTACK OF ZOMBIE ELEPHANT!)

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I like how one the achievements for making progress in the Umbrella Security Service storyline is just straight up called 'Betrayal', like, yeah, no one saw that coming.

The extra little bit that notes that the campagin completion achievements are for 'the USS campaign' make me wonder if there's actually seperate campaing for those contractors? Special Forces? People in the 'Triple Impact' trailer. Seems wierd to give them actual character and make them the polar opposites of the main characters if they don't get used in any capacity beyond glorified multiplayer skins.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Dan Didio posted:

I like how one the achievements for making progress in the Umbrella Security Service storyline is just straight up called 'Betrayal', like, yeah, no one saw that coming.

The extra little bit that notes that the campagin completion achievements are for 'the USS campaign' make me wonder if there's actually seperate campaing for those contractors? Special Forces? People in the 'Triple Impact' trailer. Seems wierd to give them actual character and make them the polar opposites of the main characters if they don't get used in any capacity beyond glorified multiplayer skins.

There's no achievements for another campaign though. I mean there are hidden achievements but they could just be other campaign related events.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I think the Spec Ops dudes are the villains of ORC. Like I know that's kinda funny to say when the protagonists of the game are cop killing corporate thugs but that's what's going on I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Revitalized posted:

There's no achievements for another campaign though. I mean there are hidden achievements but they could just be other campaign related events.

Yeah, that's sort of the main thing signifying that they'll just be ancillary campaing antagonists and multiplayer skins.

Eh, who cares, the USS troops look way more interesting. Hey, hey, hey, play Lupo everyday.

Policenaut posted:

I think the Spec Ops dudes are the villains of ORC. Like I know that's kinda funny to say when the protagonists of the game are cop killing corporate thugs but that's what's going on I believe.

Yeah, they're also the other team you can play as in the competitive multiplayer, as I understand it, though I thought there was some other group for that as well. I don't know, maybe that was just preliminary stuff that had three different teams.