Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

morestuff posted:

A friend recently told me Cam Newton didn't deserve rookie of the year because he didn't "lead enough fourth quarter drives." Weirdly enough, his pick wasn't Tebow either.
2-3 years ago on Inside the NBA Kenny Smith said that Brandon Jennings was hands-down the NBA Rookie of the Year because he was the only rookie starter on a team that made the playoffs and therefore he had to be the best rookie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Holy poo poo, this. It's common to hear something like, "VORP, what is that, something from Star Trek, NEERRRRRRRDS, pocket protectors, mom's basement...." Then in the next segment, "Joe Blow should get the Cy Young because [lists statistics]."

They aren't against statistics, they are against statistics that they are too lazy to learn about. They won't criticize them substantively because they aren't capable.

One other thing. You know who I've seen criticize Sabermetrics the most? Guys who are into Sabermetrics. I've repeatedly seen them lay out why this stat isn't the final word, or why that stat doesn't paint the whole picture.

I think it's less "sabermetrics people criticize sabermetrics" and more that people who are into sabermetrics are (rightly) skeptical by nature about the application of statistics and want to encourage a broader knowledge base in people who don't know anything or much about sabermetrics than "I just discovered OPS+. *ranks all players by OPS+"

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
Also there's a correlation between sabermetrics and a scientific mindset, for which skepticism is a primary skill. Conversely, it should be no surprise that a populace that believes about equally in ghosts as they do in evolution doesn't tend to form their opinions based on objective factual evidence.

Not that the sabermetrics movement doesn't have its answer to the Internet Atheist who is no more rational about their beliefs than the theists they rail against. (I'm looking at you, Dave Cameron.)

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

I'd sooner want people to have a general understanding of sample size and simple probability than like, VORP or wOBA. Not that VORP and wOBA don't own.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

stuart scott irl posted:

I'd sooner want people to have a general understanding of sample size and simple probability than like, VORP or wOBA. Not that VORP and wOBA don't own.

Well if the public actually thought about how much randomness factors into every single sporting event, then all those blowhards on TV might lose their jobs once people realize just how much bullshitting they do.

haljordan fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jan 18, 2012

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
I'm not much for the NFL but I sure do like reading about organizations that might be run by a kook.

Apparently this describes the Kansas City Cheifs as former employees are alleging that walls and their phones were bugged, their emails monitored beyond NSFW material and the guy running the team micromanages to a rather severe degree.

Kent Babb posted:

Some of the first changes involved shutting off access and protecting information. Non-football employees, including those who had worked for the Chiefs for decades, were told that they weren’t allowed on certain floors, or in certain areas of the team facility. Business-side staffers with an office window facing the practice fields were made to keep their shades drawn during practices. The team president was no exception. A security guard made the rounds during practices, sometimes interrupting phone calls and meetings to lower shades.

Kent Babb posted:

During his first year, Pioli noticed a candy wrapper in a back stairwell and waited to see how long it took to be picked up. About a week passed, and it remained in the stairwell. He placed the wrapper in an envelope, and during a meeting of department heads, Donovan, then the team’s chief operating officer, brandished the wrapper as evidence of the attention to detail that Chiefs employees had grown to ignore.

Kent Babb posted:

But many saw Pioli as the face of the new way — and of overreaction. Melton said she frequently took the brunt of Pioli’s outbursts on such matters as the temperature in his office, the radio signal in the weight room, and how much the organization spent annually on coffee.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
That article was loving out of this world.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Medical Sword posted:

I think it's less "sabermetrics people criticize sabermetrics" and more that people who are into sabermetrics are (rightly) skeptical by nature about the application of statistics and want to encourage a broader knowledge base in people who don't know anything or much about sabermetrics than "I just discovered OPS+. *ranks all players by OPS+"

That's more or less what I was trying to say.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Antifreeze Head posted:

I'm not much for the NFL but I sure do like reading about organizations that might be run by a kook.

Apparently this describes the Kansas City Cheifs as former employees are alleging that walls and their phones were bugged, their emails monitored beyond NSFW material and the guy running the team micromanages to a rather severe degree.

:stonk:

Okaaaaaaaay...I take back what I said about Haley being paranoid.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

What sort of competitive advantage could a long distance cell phone still image give a professional football team?

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

I find it humorous that Polian believed other organizations would run clandestine spy operations to learn the secrets of the Chiefs.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

haljordan posted:

I find it humorous that Polian believed other organizations would run clandestine spy operations to learn the secrets of the Chiefs.

maybe they were trying to learn what not to do

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

haljordan posted:

Someone needs to read up more on Al Davis

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Groucho Marxist posted:

Someone needs to read up more on Al Davis

Football's come a long way since Don Shula stood on a desk and screamed into the air vents.

Coaches must have interns and poo poo for that now.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
It would be very, very funny if it turns out Rob Lowe broke this story.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
SBNation, which has three great baseball writers - Jeff Sullivan, Grant Brisbee, and Rob Neyer, continuously put out great material.

Then there's Al Yellon who puts out this piece about how the Marlins are the worst thing ever and yikes.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

well he's certainly right about what a shithead jeff loria is

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

quote:

When [Al Yellon's] not writing for Bleed Cubbie Blue or Baseball Nation, you can find him in the left field bleachers at Wrigley Field, where someday, he knows he'll see the Cubs win a World Series.

stimpy
Jul 27, 2004

Cap'n Scrap'n of the Hit Brigade
I feel like its almost redundant to post a Shaughnessy article, but this motherfucker seriously wrote this:
It was a spectacular 60 minutes of football, not decided until a kicker from Harlan, Iowa, missed a 32-yard field goal with 11 seconds left on the clock. Thank you, Billy (Buckner) Cundiff.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

well he's certainly right about what a shithead jeff loria is

And that fountain. That thing looks too garrish for Vegas.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Antifreeze Head posted:

And that fountain. That thing looks too garrish for Vegas.

nodoze alt spotted

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
gently caress Harlan.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

leokitty posted:

The Illinois government has apologized for Al Yellon on numerous occasions. :mad:

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box

Deathlove posted:

The Illinois government has apologized for Al Yellon on numerous occasions. :mad:

Yeah, SBNation has done a good job of getting actual talent, but Yellon is awful.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Rick Reilly would like you to forget about child rape for a moment and remember the good times:

The beginning of the latest Rick Reilly article posted:

Maybe you will never be convinced Joe Paterno was a good man who made one catastrophic mistake, but do you have time for just one story?

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone
The premise that he is a good man who made a catastrophic mistake is not at all ridiculous

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Medical Sword posted:

The premise that he is a good man who made a catastrophic mistake is not at all ridiculous

On the other hand, he spent the better part of a decade writing a bunch of hit pieces about Bonds, and taking steroids is a much less significant offense than covering up for a child molester.

gently caress Rick Reilly.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Medical Sword posted:

He's spent many years vilifying people in print for mistakes much less serious than the one Paterno made late in his life, which makes that question he wrote amazingly ironic.

See the above post for an example.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Rick Reilly writing about Barry Bonds was the worst poo poo ever. Even if you dislike Bonds it's just lazy writing, it's the sports equivalent of "what's the deal with airline food? am I right folks?"

I wonder how many columns he wrote about Barry Bonds putting aside money for Brian Stow's children to go to college

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
The premise that there exists such a thing as a "good man" is actually quite ridiculous.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
Rick Reilly hated Barry Bonds because he was an arrogant rear end in a top hat toward him and all other forms of media.

Rick Reilly like Joe Paterno because he gave reporters the time of day.

Not that hard to process, guys.

FWIW I thought Reilly's piece was well-done. The Taliaferro thing was huge in its day.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
So, if any of you haven't read the GQ piece on Terrell Owens, stop by TFF and educate yourselves. It's an insightful piece, if not the best you'll read all week.

Then, today, The Big Lead published a feature on Colin Cowherd that is, well, it'll take you through the gamut of emotions.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Funny how he doesn't feel bad about pissing on wrestler Eddie Guerrero's grave less than 24 hours after Eddie died. I don't care if you like wrestling or not, that was a dick move.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

It looks like Adam Jacobi at CBS Sports was let go over their inaccurate reporting of Joe Paterno's death. It's unfortunate that he got the axe, but that was a pretty big black eye for them.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
It's not surprising, but that seems pretty harsh to me. A while ago here in Canada there was a similar thing where a bunch of outlets reported Pat Burns was dead and it took Burns himself calling a reporter at TSN before they retracted their story. I might be wrong, but I don't believe anyone lost their job over that.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

morestuff posted:

It looks like Adam Jacobi at CBS Sports was let go over their inaccurate reporting of Joe Paterno's death. It's unfortunate that he got the axe, but that was a pretty big black eye for them.

:(

He definitely hosed up and I understand why they let him go, but it still really sucks. I've met him a couple times in person and have interacted with him online for years now; he's a really good dude in addition to being a talented and funny writer. Hopefully he lands on his feet somewhere.

John XIII
Dec 16, 2011

by Ozmaugh
You know for great sports journalism I always look to a guy that is nimble enough to talk about all sports equally bad.

If it's Friday and I'm bored at work one of his articles will always make me LOL. I give you: http://msn.foxsports.com/writer/Jason_Whitlock

I warn you his stuff is usually like a train wreck in slow-motion and can be hard to not look at!

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Most of us are familiar with the bloviations of Mr. Whitlock. He's one of the people that I feel bad about agreeing with once in a blue moon.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

MorningView posted:

:(

He definitely hosed up and I understand why they let him go, but it still really sucks. I've met him a couple times in person and have interacted with him online for years now; he's a really good dude in addition to being a talented and funny writer. Hopefully he lands on his feet somewhere.

I'm sure he'll catch on somewhere, though I can't imagine what he's going through right now. That's a worst-nightmare situation for writers and editors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

morestuff posted:

I'm sure he'll catch on somewhere, though I can't imagine what he's going through right now. That's a worst-nightmare situation for writers and editors.

Yeah no doubt. He just got the CBS job fairly recently too after doing a lot of excellent work on various blogs for years (most notably Black Heart Gold Pants, where I'd love to see him return until he finds something else). I was really happy to see him get a big national gig and then this happens. It's too bad.