Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Belle Isle Tech posted:

Out of curiosity, why the RF7 over some the much cheaper models like the RF-62 or RF-82, especially since you're planning on getting an SVS sub?

Mostly out of looks, the RF-7II is about the classiest looking "gently caress off" speaker that you can buy. Also, I have Klipsch Synergy F-20 which is the same dimensions as the RF-62, and at the listening room, I can compare them a/b with the same receiver, and I cannot hear a single sliver of difference between the two at normal listening levels. Maybe at reference level the Reference model would sound better. Demo material was that pink floyd concert where david bowie jumps up on stage and fucks up comfortably numb.

Basically since it's going to be a dedicated room with the biggest projector screen I can use, it would seem fitting to have big 10" woofers in your face. Of course when the time to actually pay up is close, I might go with the rf82's instead.

My only concern is going to be running a floorstanding speaker as a center channel. That limits me as to how low I can go with the screen.

What's involved in placing a center channel behind the screen ? Does it kill the high frequencies ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
Id say that whats involved is using an acoustically transparent screen. They have micro perforations, its a trade off to get slightly better sound imaging with slightly worse picture quality. Basically you just have to make sure you don't get visible moire with the projector/pattern of perforations on the screen.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moir%C3%A9_pattern

In my opinion the downside to either is pretty negligible so the choice is mostly aesthetics and how much space you have behind where the screen is. If you don't want to see the speakers then do it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Brozekiel posted:

Dude, so much about these pictures is awesome and wrong at the same time. I'm not sure how I should feel...

Wrong? I dunno, it seems pretty aiiight.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Anyone have opinions on the Onkyo TX NR709 ? Primarily, how is the processing etc ? I will be using the pre-outs to go into Crown amps for the front 3 speakers and possibly the surrounds. Might drive the rears off the receiver itself. Or maybe the surrounds and rears since it's unlikely those channels will strain the internal amps with movie or 2 channel audio.

WINTER IS COMING
Oct 6, 2011
I think this is my favourite thread on the forum. Time to contribute.

The lounge is awaiting renovations at the moment but this is what I've got at the moment.

TV: PS59D6900
RECEIVER: PIONEER- VSX-819H-K
SPEAKERS: Warfdale 5.1 Diamond Series
HTPC: Acer Revo 3700 - XBMC
SKY: Standard Satellite
GAMING: PS3

The current receiver doesn't do 3D pass through for the PS3 and has started turning itself off during intense audio in movies, could be a heat issue as there is sweet all clearance where it is sitting. I think this is excuse enough for a new receiver and move this one downstairs to the dining room.

Renovations is going to be a re gibbing of the room, going to set this wall up as the feature wall and try to go down the floating wall path with the TV wall mounted and surrounded by the frame.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

WINTER IS COMING posted:

Renovations is going to be a re gibbing of the room, going to set this wall up as the feature wall and try to go down the floating wall path with the TV wall mounted and surrounded by the frame.

I currently have the electric fireplace thing positioned exactly the same. It does so much for the feel of the room in the evening.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

WINTER IS COMING posted:

I think this is my favourite thread on the forum. Time to contribute.

The lounge is awaiting renovations at the moment but this is what I've got at the moment.

The off-center front channels and center channel is making me FREAK OUT over here.

WINTER IS COMING
Oct 6, 2011

ShaneB posted:

The off-center front channels and center channel is making me FREAK OUT over here.

Would you be able to sit through an entire movie with them arranged like that :)

All in good time friend - renovations are not far away.

Would you place the sub on the left side of the left front?

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

WINTER IS COMING posted:

Would you place the sub on the left side of the left front?

Yes, of course! Why aren't you doing it that way?

modig
Aug 20, 2002
This is my mom's new TV, there is a Roku and a DVD player mounted on the wall behind it. We worked hard to make sure that there were no cables visible.

WINTER IS COMING
Oct 6, 2011
Looks good, nice use of space between the doors

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
New setup:

Klipsch Reference RF3

Selling the sub as it's a bit light weight for my tastes. Probably going to go with a Rythmik 12" or 15".

Patch
Jan 13, 2008

Added some carpet and acoustic panels to tame reflections. Also some new furniture.

Vaytan
Dec 17, 2011

And the Classic Gaming section.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Are those Tannoy speakers ?

Vaytan
Dec 17, 2011

jonathan posted:

Are those Tannoy speakers ?

Nope Mission

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
'Classic' barely goes back to 16 bits? I'm old.

Vaytan
Dec 17, 2011

falz posted:

'Classic' barely goes back to 16 bits? I'm old.

See that white box on the left ? beside the AV switcher... NES / SNES

Downs Patrol
Dec 16, 2004

my reputation is built upon a solid foundation of bananas

I managed to pick up some polks off there ebay store for a pretty good discount, changed around the home theater from some cheap HTIB speakers.

System:
LG-LV4200
Pioneer VSX-1021k
Boxee Box
Xbox 360

Fronts Polk RTI-12's
Center Polk CSI-5
Rears Polk Monitor-50's
Sub BIC-F12

I think over all, pretty kickass setup, need more extension on the bass. The f12 tends to die around 30hz despite adding in with EQ. Im looking to build something like a 15in cube with 2 PR's in the future. Possibly finding a replacement 12in and re-tuning the box, but i think a new cube would be nicer and benefit me more.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Patch posted:

Added some carpet and acoustic panels to tame reflections. Also some new furniture.

Super clean - I dig it. The executive chair-looking thing with footrest looks kind of chintsy compared to the rest of everything, but that's just, like, my opinion, man.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Just got into a new place that's half decent. Sorry the pics are crappy, only one of my lightbulbs are working, so that messes with my camera. Speaaaaaaaking of lighting, do you guys have suggestions? Cause pretty much I have zero ambient light outside of a gigantic lava lamp.

Setup:

50" Panasonic VIERA TC-P50GT25
Onkyo HT-S7100 system
2 Xbox 360's
XBMC system via my HP p6210f (2.60 GHz Quad Core, 4 TBs of space)
Use XBMC Commander via iPad 1 to control the system, pretty slick.

I'm on a tight budget these days, but I'm definitely up for suggestions. Especially lighting. I'm thinking about getting some of those behind the TV lights mentioned in this thread. And I can't paint walls as I'm renting this room.

I'm also waiting on a TV mount for my Kinect. Kinda worried my room is gonna be too small, though.

89 fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jan 17, 2012

kippa
Aug 10, 2005

Fry, it's been three days. You can't keep boogie-ing like this. You'll come down with a fever of some sort.

Vaytan posted:

See that white box on the left ? beside the AV switcher... NES / SNES

Allow me to go one better...

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

89 posted:

I'm thinking about getting some of those behind the TV lights mentioned in this thread. And I can't paint walls as I'm renting this room.

I'm also waiting on a TV mount for my Kinect. Kinda worried my room is gonna be too small, though.

Quickest thing to do would be put a lamp on each of those "end tables" you have going on there.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

The Dave posted:

Quickest thing to do would be put a lamp on each of those "end tables" you have going on there.
Yeah, I didn't want to spend over $100 on speaker stands (these speakers are pretty heavy and the amazon brand won't support their weight)...soooo, I went with some Walmart storage containers, heh. They don't really look too bad, and if I can come up with an idea, I could get creative with the drawers being see through.

I'm not sure if I can fit both a lamp and a speaker on top, though.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

89 posted:

I'm on a tight budget these days, but I'm definitely up for suggestions. Especially lighting. I'm thinking about getting some of those behind the TV lights mentioned in this thread.
LEDs strips behind TV and couch.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

giZm posted:

LEDs strips behind TV and couch.
What's the cheapest place to pick those up lately? I saw some links earlier in the thread, but they are broken now.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
More specifically, LED light strips that are a true 6500K and are also IR controllable, so I can integrate it into my Harmony. I've found some sets on amazon that might work, but reviews make it clear that they're not a true 6500K.

TDD_Shizzy
Feb 26, 2004

I ordered my LED kits from https://www.barlighting.com
They have held up really well, have them programmed in my harmony.

Not sure if they are 6500k color space though, I mostly run mine in colors around the tv, and white under kitchen cabinets.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I'm in the (very slow) process of building my own AmbiLight kit from an arduino and some light controllers. We had an AmbiLight TV for a few years and loved it, but I'm not so good at programming or low level electronics so it's taking awhile.

TDD_Shizzy
Feb 26, 2004

I recently built a light kit for work with Arduino. Followed this tutorial:

http://www.ladyada.net/make/adalight/

It was really easy, comes with all the code needed, at least I don't remember having to write any code. A couple stores also sell the kits you need to assemble it all too. Good luck, they are fun, I want to build one for home use.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

TDD_Shizzy posted:

I recently built a light kit for work with Arduino. Followed this tutorial:

http://www.ladyada.net/make/adalight/

Looks awesome! Where do you work that you need one of these? =)

I wonder how it would look with my yellow wallpaper ...

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Look upon my bathroom joists, ye females, and despair.
I just built a DJ booth that uses RGB LED light strips. I dunno about the 6500k business but they work fine and change to any color and they are cheap. The whole kit for 16ft of LED's is about $20 on ebay. You will also need a power supply which is another $7 or so.

ebay link

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

http://www.cinemaquestinc.com/Ideal-Lume.htm#standard

I don't see why more people don't just get one of these vs spending nearly as much on hacked-together strip lighting solutions.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
I found this company a while back, been meaning to order lights from them for some time, just never gotten around to it.

http://www.elementalled.com/

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Vaytan posted:

Doesn't having two subs on opposite sides like that have a negative effect on the total bass output? Might wanna try stacking them up if you think you could get better performance.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

BabyRyoga posted:

Doesn't having two subs on opposite sides like that have a negative effect on the total bass output? Might wanna try stacking them up if you think you could get better performance.

Velodyne's Website posted:

Where do I place twin subwoofers?

Getting twin subwoofers into a room can significantly improve the bass response, offering a wider "sweet spot", with fewer areas that suffer from weak bass. Twin subs can also lower distortion. There are several approaches to placement, and experimentation is suggested.
Try placing the subs in opposite corners. This will enhance output from each and offer good coverage throughout the room.
Place the subs in the center of opposing walls - either the long or short wall of the room will work. This helps negate the room's tendency to cancel bass frequencies.
One-quarter way down the long wall also can work well. Since aesthetic considerations also matter, experiment with the options that are open to you and trust your ears.

From what I understand, putting them in opposite corners might not get you the maximum bass output, but it should improve the quality of the sound.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Legdiian posted:

From what I understand, putting them in opposite corners might not get you the maximum bass output, but it should improve the quality of the sound.

Low frequency is the realm of room modes and cancellations and is a loving ballache. More than one sub is used to overcome room modes usually, room modes are horrible but now I understand them it's less of an issue. It also explains why the bass was louder in the next room over than the one I used to have my sub in... A curious thing that.

"If there is a 'prime directive' when it comes to sub placement it is this: Never place subs with their radiating planes between 2.5 feet and 8 feet of a boundary.If you do at some frequency the within the 35 to 100 Hz passband, depending on the distance, the reflected wave will be 180 degrees out of phase when it meets the original wave again, cancelling it out."

http://www.padrick.net/LiveSound/CancellationMode.htm

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jan 24, 2012

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Anybody have a link to the sound activated LED bias lights? I had a link and lost it :(

Vaytan
Dec 17, 2011

BabyRyoga posted:

I was just waiting on a new cable. I have one to my left side ( just 1 ft away from the couch ) and then one by the right front corner. Just seeing what works best. Seems to fill the room a lot better now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010
I have a Monster PowerCenter similar to this, http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=4445, the other night the power at my house turned off and then on again right away. Everything rebooted, however my Time Capsule has had an flashing amber light ever since. It says the disk needs repair, after some research it sounds like the hard drive is shot.

Has anyone had any experience with filing a claim under Monster's Equipment warranty? How does it work? What are my chances of them covering my Time Capsule? That is the point of these PowerCenters after all...