Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meeper
Jan 1, 2007
I was going to do kebabs, so probably 1.5inch cubes. Adding the lime juice right before cooking sounds like a pretty good idea, cheers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I'm not sure where to ask this, but are there any guide or anything about living in a cold climate and trying to eat things fairly local? I would like to take advantage of a CSA, but I'm not sure where to start looking. Or for local butchers for meats. I love little hole in the wall ethnic markets, but they generally don't show up on google maps. I don't drive in a city that's designed for cars, so I'm a bit limited.

I generally grow herbs in the summer, though that's only a few months worth of growing season here. I live in a basement apartment, so it's really hard to grow things indoors without spending money on lights.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

Jyrraeth posted:

I'm not sure where to ask this, but are there any guide or anything about living in a cold climate and trying to eat things fairly local? I would like to take advantage of a CSA, but I'm not sure where to start looking. Or for local butchers for meats. I love little hole in the wall ethnic markets, but they generally don't show up on google maps. I don't drive in a city that's designed for cars, so I'm a bit limited.

I generally grow herbs in the summer, though that's only a few months worth of growing season here. I live in a basement apartment, so it's really hard to grow things indoors without spending money on lights.

It would really help if you provided us with a general area, like, say, a continent?

Also - when you want to shop local - you need to shop in season, meaning that right now the roots are your friends, in the spring you can start looking at the greens and in late summer/fall, the fruits (like tomatoes etc.) will start showing up.

Also:
https://attra.ncat.org/attra-pub/local_food/search.php
http://www.eatwellguide.org/i.php?pd=Home
http://www.localharvest.org/csa/
https://www.biodynamics.com/csa.html

Assuming that you're living in the relative south that is North America.

If you're living somewhere more nothern, or southern (like on the Russian tundra, or the argentinian Pampas) earthworms and grains are your friends.

In Denmark just use Aarstiderne.com, they have something equivalent for the rest of the nordics I guess (well.. for the civilized parts of the Nordics that is - Hedonistic Sweden may not be included).

Take it Sleazy
Sep 7, 2004

i thought you weren't allowed to make threads
Anyone know a good cookbook for Turkish food? I've lived in a Turkish neighborhood for more than a year now and I decided it was time to learn what was up with all that.

I'm looking for one that explains a little bit about commonly used ingredients and that kinda thing, an introduction to turkish cooking rather than just a reference book.

I found this on Amazon, anyone know if it's any good?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/962593944X/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
I made a recipe that called for buttermilk, but the smallest container they had at the store was huge. So now I've got about 3 cups of buttermilk left over, what can I do with it?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

razz posted:

I made a recipe that called for buttermilk, but the smallest container they had at the store was huge. So now I've got about 3 cups of buttermilk left over, what can I do with it?

Cornbread. Pancakes.... That's all I got, I'm looking forward to reading other suggestions.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

razz posted:

HOLY poo poo LOOK AT THIS poo poo

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
You can make scones and freeze them. This recipe would probably work if you substitute buttermilk for heavy cream.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

razz posted:

I was going to say you can make biscuits and freeze them, but HOLY poo poo LOOK AT THAT poo poo ^^

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Happy Hat posted:

It would really help if you provided us with a general area, like, say, a continent?

Sorry, thought that I included a location. So Calgary, Alberta. So relatively south considering Canada. I'm finding some things on the sites you linked, thanks.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Irish soda bread is a tasty use for buttermilk. The brown soda bread is savory and good for mopping up stews, and the white is sweet and desserty. The buttermilk provides the acidity to activate the baking soda.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
^^^ Soda bread as a base for corned beef sandwiches = victory.

Any thoughts on a substitute for coconut milk in Thai/Indonesian peanut sauce? The kind that goes with chicken satay? Nothing wrong per se with the coconut milk, it's just mighty rich and I'm trying to lighten up the sauce so that I can eat more than a spoonful without feeling stuffed. If I could make it light enough I could even toss pasta or steamed veggies in a reasonable quantity of it.

I guess another way to state this question would be: Any ideas for a lighter Thai-style peanut sauce?

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster
You can make some very tasty banana bread with buttermilk.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Pretty much all baked goods are better with buttermilk.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

Jyrraeth posted:

Sorry, thought that I included a location. So Calgary, Alberta. So relatively south considering Canada. I'm finding some things on the sites you linked, thanks.

I knew you were talking about Calgary when you said "made for cars" and "short grow season". If you're not already familiar with it, check out City Palate magazine. They are available for free all over town (coffee shops and the like), or you can read it online for free as well. They put out issues every couple of months and have an article each issue that specifically talks about seasonally available ingredients, how to buy them, and simple recipes for them. The current issue has a cool article running down the upcoming food festivals here this year as well as a good one on Urban Agriculture. Everything about the magazine screams 'local' and 'seasonal', usually. There are tons of ads for local stuff, and a 'rumblings' section that includes a lot of smaller local places/purveyors. I can't recommend it enough, really.

Once our spring finally comes (or maybe during the Chinook this week) take some time to wander around Chinatown. Alternatively, T&T Supermarket is right across from Marlborough LRT station and is a real source of Asian ingredients (though far from 'hole in the wall', especially after being bought by Loblaws). If you are into Greek stuff, Kalamata Grocery is a couple of blocks north of 17th Ave SW (at 11th St and 14th Ave) and has a lot of tasty stuff. Here is a big list of ethnic groceries across the city, from the aforementioned City Palate.

Unfortunately if you really want to do local here, get used to root vegetables and other cellar stuff for a little while longer.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I need a microwave, was looking at this. Awesome or tacky? I can't decide.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

RazorBunny posted:

Irish soda bread is a tasty use for buttermilk. The brown soda bread is savory and good for mopping up stews, and the white is sweet and desserty. The buttermilk provides the acidity to activate the baking soda.

Do you have a favorite recipe that you could post here?

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Pretty much all baked goods are better with buttermilk.

So it's okay to sub in buttermilk anywhere the recipe calls for regular milk? Good to know! Got a good pancake recipe? I haven't made pancakes since last time I was at my parents and they forced me to make Bisquick pancakes in a teflon skillet with like NO OIL and it was a sad disappointment.

And yes I do plan on making fried chicken :) Would it also work for something like chicken-fried-steak?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Mr. Crow posted:

I need a microwave, was looking at this. Awesome or tacky? I can't decide.

Not tacky, but not powerful enough for the "good" looks to account for the price.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

The Macaroni posted:

^^^ Soda bread as a base for corned beef sandwiches = victory.

Any thoughts on a substitute for coconut milk in Thai/Indonesian peanut sauce? The kind that goes with chicken satay? Nothing wrong per se with the coconut milk, it's just mighty rich and I'm trying to lighten up the sauce so that I can eat more than a spoonful without feeling stuffed. If I could make it light enough I could even toss pasta or steamed veggies in a reasonable quantity of it.

I guess another way to state this question would be: Any ideas for a lighter Thai-style peanut sauce?

You can get light coconut milk, I think.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

razz posted:

Do you have a favorite recipe that you could post here?

Sure!

For the brown:
-4 cups whole wheat flour
-1.5 cups AP flour (for smoothness, you can use all whole wheat if you like)
-1.5 tsp baking soda
-1 tsp salt
-2 cups buttermilk
Preheat to 400. Basically just combine all, knead dough lightly until smooth. Form a round loaf, about 1.5" thick, and mark a deep cross in the top. Bake on a greased sheet for about 45 minutes or until the bread sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom. Cool in the open for a crunchy crust, wrap in a dish towel during cooling for a soft crust.

For the white:
-3 cups AP flour
-1 tbsp baking powder
-1 tsp baking soda
-1/3 cup sugar
-1 egg
-2 cups buttermilk
-1/4 cup butter, melted
-1/4 cup dried fruit (golden raisins usually)
Preheat to 325. Grease a 9x5 pan.
Blend flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar. Combine egg and buttermilk in another bowl. Make a well in the dry and pour the wet into it, then stir until barely combined. Gently fold in the butter and fruit, pour into the pan, and bake 65-70 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

For the white, I like to soak the raisins in warm whiskey on the stove for an hour or so beforehand so they start to absorb it. They get nice and plump and boozy.

Edit: by the way, trip report - I wound up using the smoked burro bananas in banana bread. It's heavier than normal banana bread, but that makes sense given the texture of the burro bananas. Very tasty. I did have to add some liquid to the base recipe to get moist enough dough, but a few splashes of rum did not go awry.

Two loaves went in the freezer and one is being devoured.

RazorBunny fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jan 24, 2012

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
A goon-friend of mine emailed me this borsch recipe she got from her host family in Georgia (the country, not the state). While I plan to try it as instructed, are there any meats that go particularly well in borsch? I've never made it before, but I'd like to get some protein into the recipe without loving it up.

quote:

Ingredients
  • 3 stems of celery
  • 3 carrots (big ones)
  • 3 tomatoes (on the vine; or 4 plum ones)
  • 2 beets (medium-sized, or 1 big one)
  • 2 cloves of garlic
  • 2 pkgs of vegetable broth (or just water)
  • 1 onion (medium-sized)
  • 1 parsley root
  • 1 turnip
  • 1 small cabbage head (or 1/2 of a big one; better, a really tight small one)

Directions
  • chop the vegetables, the smaller the better; beets and cabbage cut into thin strips; crush garlic with a knife; tomatoes – cut a cross on the top, put them in boiling water for about 3 minutes, take them out, take the skin off and remove the seeds, cut into cubes.
  • in a pot with a thick, heat-resistant bottom (if you don't have one, use a frying pan and transfer everything into a pot later) put 1-2 tb spoons of olive oil and 1-2 tb. spoons of water, add onions, parsley root, turnip and sautee on medium to high heat, constantly stirring, for a couple of minutes
  • add garlic, celery, carrots, beets and stew on medium heat for about 10 minutes
  • add tomatoes and stew for another 5 minutes
  • add cabbage and stew for another 5 minutes
  • add 2 qts of vegetable broth or water (if you were using a pan, transfer everything to a pot and add broth); add salt and pepper to taste
  • bring to a boil, and if it seems like it is too thick, add BOILING water until you reach the desired consistency
  • let it cook until cabbage and beets become tender
  • at the end, add chopped parsley, dill, or other types of herbs, and some lemon juice (I added about half a lemon for mine).

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006
Braised shortribs in borscht are pretty bomb.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

razz posted:

So it's okay to sub in buttermilk anywhere the recipe calls for regular milk? Good to know! Got a good pancake recipe? I haven't made pancakes since last time I was at my parents and they forced me to make Bisquick pancakes in a teflon skillet with like NO OIL and it was a sad disappointment.

And yes I do plan on making fried chicken :) Would it also work for something like chicken-fried-steak?

Yes, though you want sweet milk to make the gravy.

As far as the pancakes, I don't really use a recipe, but try something along the lines of a couple cups flour, some salt, a little sugar, some baking soda, some baking powder, a beaten egg or two, and some melted butter. Mix well and add enough buttermilk to make a batter, then cook into cakes. Toss if fruits or nuts if you're feeling saucy. You'll get the hang of eyeballing everything after a while.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I tried baking a cake for the first time tonight and results were a bit disappointing. I decided to bake the cake in a large pyrex (3 qt/9X13"?) dish instead of two 9" pans, which was possibly a mistake, but when I tested the cake after 35 minutes, I was able to insert a tooth pick and remove it without any residue stuck to the pick. However, the top of the cake sunk in slightly and the texture was dense almost like cornbread. Any thoughts on what I may have done wrong? I'm assuming that I over/undermixed the ingredients or possibly used the wrong ratio of baking powder to baking soda. I was a bit surprised that the cake was ready after 35 minutes, but is there another way I should test for doneness instead of the tooth pick test?

Thank you in advance.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Jan 24, 2012

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Do two 9" pans like the recipe says next time. Geometry makes a huge difference in how the cake bakes.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Meeper posted:

I'm grilling marinated kangaroo for Australia Day this Thursday. My marinade is a fairly standard soy/sugar/oil/lime juice affair, and I'm just wondering if I'm going to have any negative effect from marinating for about 20 hours rather than my standard hour, keeping in mind that the marinade has a quarter cup of lime juice in it and I'd rather not make kangaroo ceviche?

What cut is it? For fillet i wouldn't bother for that long. For leg or rump Treat it as you might venison, it's super lean - between 2-3% so it'll need a fair bit of oil or other meat fat & should be sealed on all sides. I've given it an overnight soak in red wine & currant jelly before roasting. Then serving with cumberland sauce.

Yours sounds good for a fillet, seared to rare, rested & sliced. Maybe a thai dressing intended for beef would make a good sauce/dressing for a salad served under it.
Something like roasted rice powder, roasted chilli powder, mint, shallot, coriander, sugar & fish sauce.

desert diver
Mar 30, 2010

I've been given some Hungarian paprika. Does anyone have a decent goulash recipe I can make with it? Not too difficult, as I am a terrible cook.

Another spice question - I accidentally bought a ridiculous amount of caraway. What can I do with it?

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Psychobabble posted:

Braised shortribs in borscht are pretty bomb.
Seconded. Beef goes tremendously well in borscht, and any braised cut will do nicely.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
How is braising done? I see it talked about but never learned what the deal was.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Simple braising basically involves browning the outside of the meat and then slow cooking it. Maybe there's more fancy techniques but that's basically what braising is.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Splizwarf posted:

How is braising done? I see it talked about but never learned what the deal was.

Braising is to cook your food partially immersed in a liquid at a temperature lower than boiling point, with the liquid later becoming the sauce for the dish.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Think beef stew, corned beef, pot roast, things cooked in a crock pot--these are all braises.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Can anyone tell me what these are?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

C clamps with dongs welded on.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I was going say v1 Sybians.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Looks like something you would use with a ball pein hammer to shape sheet metal.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

GrAviTy84 posted:

ball pein hammer

I freaking love that name. Every time someone says ball pein hammer I laugh to myself. Ball pein. I am a child.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

razz posted:

I freaking love that name. Every time someone says ball pein hammer I laugh to myself. Ball pein. I am a child.

Huh. I always thought that it was spelled ball-peen, but I see there are alternate spellings as well.

Learn something new everyday.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I was going say v1 Sybians.

paging Squashy to the thread to c/d

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

desert diver posted:

I've been given some Hungarian paprika. Does anyone have a decent goulash recipe I can make with it? Not too difficult, as I am a terrible cook.

Another spice question - I accidentally bought a ridiculous amount of caraway. What can I do with it?

Start with beef cubes or chicken legs & thighs, whichever you want for the goulash (for chicken, leave the bone in, remove the skin and trim the fat otherwise it'll be really greasy). Roll the meat in salt, flour and paprika mixture. Brown lightly on all sides in a tablespoon or so of vegetable oil on high. Don't worry if you get flour stuck to the bottom of the pot, just splash with a bit of red wine and scrape with a wooden spoon, it'll dissolve in the wine and it won't taste like burnt crap.

When the meat looks nice on the outside, add a ton of chopped onion, lower the heat and put the lid on. Cook until transparent. Add in some crushed garlic, cook until it starts smelling like heaven, then add in a small can of pureed tomato and a splash or two of red wine and a cup of chicken or beef stock so it mixes in with the onions. When it's mixed and bubbling, add just a little bit of salt, lots of pepper, a teaspon of ground caraway and start spooning in paprika until you get the taste you want. Bring to a boil and lower to medium or below, cover and cook for 60-90 minutes.

If the goulash gets too thick at any point (and it will), mix in more water. Don't add too much, you want it to be thicker than a stew when it's done. Serve with orzo noodles or good white bread, spoon sour cream on top.