Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

:frogout:
I was recently lucky enough to come across this red beans and rice recipe linked in this thread. It was perfect for me, because it's packed with protein and veggies, can be made in bulk, and reheats really easily. Anyone have some suggestions for dishes with similar qualities?

I know there's a boatload, but I've been stuck in a chili rut. I just keep making chili and I'm loving sick of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Tots posted:

I was recently lucky enough to come across this red beans and rice recipe linked in this thread. It was perfect for me, because it's packed with protein and veggies, can be made in bulk, and reheats really easily. Anyone have some suggestions for dishes with similar qualities?

I know there's a boatload, but I've been stuck in a chili rut. I just keep making chili and I'm loving sick of it.

Beef stew or really any kind of stew, cassoulet, gumbo, congee, feijoada, fabada, daal or other lentil dish.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Any generic Indian curry will do, too. Either make a meat curry and a legume curry separately, or mix 'em all together.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

Curry sounds good.

How's this look?

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:

I have one of these things. How the hell do I use it? I know this is a stupid question, but seriously, I've never once made rice, but I want some tonight to go with my fish and some veggies.

Appl
Feb 4, 2002

where da white womens at?

Luminous Cow posted:

I have one of these things. How the hell do I use it? I know this is a stupid question, but seriously, I've never once made rice, but I want some tonight to go with my fish and some veggies.

That looks like a tea infuser, how big is it? Are you sure it isn't a tea infuser?

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Appl posted:

That looks like a tea infuser, how big is it? Are you sure it isn't a tea infuser?

http://www.thymetocook.co.uk/products/judge_stainless_steel_rice_ball.php

Positive. This is exactly what I have.

edit: of course there's instructions on the page I just linked :downs:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
That is an amazing idea for rice. You could use too much water and just hang it to drain, instead of trying to split the "used up the water"/"oh poo poo burned it" hair so finely. I want one. How much does it hold?

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Splizwarf posted:

That is an amazing idea for rice. You could use too much water and just hang it to drain, instead of trying to split the "used up the water"/"oh poo poo burned it" hair so finely. I want one. How much does it hold?

I have no idea how much it will hold, but here's a big rear end picture of it next to a AA battery.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Luminous Cow posted:

I have no idea how much it will hold, but here's a big rear end picture of it next to a AA battery.

It's a big tea ball.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Sperg time. An AA battery is just a little under 2 inches. The ball's a little flat on the bottom, so let's be generous and call the ball 5 inches tall. With a radius of 2.5 inches, the sphere holds roughly 65 cubic inches, or 4.5 cups of cooked rice. Probably more like 4 cups, because if you stuff it bad things will happen.

Not a bad size but I wonder if they make one about twice the volume. Now I want to make rice with fruit in it.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I have a general question: why would anyone ever want to boil rice? What is boiled rice good for?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

totalnewbie posted:

I have a general question: why would anyone ever want to boil rice? What is boiled rice good for?

There are people who make it that way who say it's good. I have never tried it, so I have no idea.

Edit: Maybe they use converted rices? I have no idea.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
So uh I just ordered an 8-pound bone-in pork shoulder from an amazing meat market. How big is this thing gonna be? I have this 6-quart round dutch oven that is pretty frickin cool and I'm worried that it's not gonna fit :ohdear:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Wait, I'm confused: boiling is the only way I know how to prepare rice. It's what rice cookers do. Is there a fine point of terminology that I'm missing? How else would you hydrate it? (other than throwing it in soup, which is still boiling it really)

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Rice cookers steam rice, which is a little different from boiling. Basically, boiling rice gets you mostly-dry and loose rice which tastes like crap. Steaming gets you the nice soft, moist, sticky rice that we connoisseurs love.

And yea, part of the steaming process involves bringing rice to a boil, but then the heat gets turned down and that's when the real cooking takes place.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

scuz posted:

So uh I just ordered an 8-pound bone-in pork shoulder from an amazing meat market. How big is this thing gonna be? I have this 6-quart round dutch oven that is pretty frickin cool and I'm worried that it's not gonna fit :ohdear:

8 pounds will likely be a little on the big side for that oven. Be prepared to cut a quarter off of it.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Splizwarf posted:

Wait, I'm confused: boiling is the only way I know how to prepare rice. It's what rice cookers do. Is there a fine point of terminology that I'm missing? How else would you hydrate it? (other than throwing it in soup, which is still boiling it really)

Steam it.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Splizwarf posted:

As others have said, steaming is the most common `traditional' method of preparing rice. You can also cook rice in much lower-temperature liquid (so it is neither boiled nor steamed), which is how many rice porridges and things like risotto work. You can also parch rice, which is basically roasting or toasting it either dry or in oil, either by itself or as preparation for finishing the rice some other way (e.g., you usually parch rice in oil before making risotto).

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
I need some help. I am trying to learn to do some basic baking and started with a beer bread. I used this recipe and got ok results but the bread was kind of dense and not how it came out when a friends mom made it over winter. I did not sift the flour with a sifter but used a spoon to fluff the flour according to my aunts instructions. I have since ordered a sifter and will try again on Friday with that. Now to my question. Was it dense because the flour was not sifted and should I take any other precautions for baking now that I am living at 5000ft elevation instead of sea level? Also I am open to alternate recipes for beer bread. Also, is there a bread thread that I missed?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Atticus_1354 posted:

I need some help. I am trying to learn to do some basic baking and started with a beer bread. I used this recipe and got ok results but the bread was kind of dense and not how it came out when a friends mom made it over winter. I did not sift the flour with a sifter but used a spoon to fluff the flour according to my aunts instructions. I have since ordered a sifter and will try again on Friday with that. Now to my question. Was it dense because the flour was not sifted and should I take any other precautions for baking now that I am living at 5000ft elevation instead of sea level? Also I am open to alternate recipes for beer bread. Also, is there a bread thread that I missed?
You're being asked to sift the flour because the recipe uses a volume instead of weight measurement for it. The sifting (in theory) eliminates any packing/settling that might've occurred during storage or transportation. What you really want is a weight measurement, but for home cooking recipes tend to shy away from them.

Anyway. If the crumb is coming out too dense, your problem is probably underleavening. Since the only leavening in the recipe is baking powder, you might try tossing your baking powder and getting a new tin. It tends to lose its oompf after a couple months. Also you might doublecheck to make sure you've been using baking powder and not baking soda. Baking soda needs an acid (classically buttermilk) to start bubbling, whereas baking powder just needs liquid to work. If you subbed baking soda for baking powder in a recipe that doesn't include an acidic ingredient (like your beer bread) you won't get the outgassing which is your leavening process in that recipe.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I thought beer was the primary leavening agent in beer bread.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I thought beer was the primary leavening agent in beer bread.
You can make beer bread that's leavened only with beer. It'll come out really loving dense, though. If you want a more typically bread-like crumb, you have to add additional leavening agents---like the baking powder in the recipe Atticus_1354 linked. Since his beer bread came out dense despite having additional leavening is what lead me to conclude that the additional leavening didn't do its work.

JimbobDobalina
Aug 29, 2005

I will munch on your endocrine system
I went hunting this fall and came into a large quantity of venison, some of which has been turned into sausage. I have about 55 pounds of sausage, and in order to not become bored of eating this tasty treat over and over the same way, I am looking for some alternative methods of cooking it...

At the moment I slow cook it in a small amount of water in a covered roasting pan in the oven, and it comes out tasting great. However, with nearly 30 2lb rings all to myself there has to be a better way!

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

SubG posted:

Anyway. If the crumb is coming out too dense, your problem is probably underleavening. Since the only leavening in the recipe is baking powder, you might try tossing your baking powder and getting a new tin.

Thanks for the advice. The baking powder is less than 2 months old, but it is not very expensive so I don't mind getting another small jar. Would it help if I let the dough sit for a short time before putting it in or will that not matter? I will try it with sifting and fresh baking powder this weekend and report back. As it is the bread tastes good so it wasn't a complete failure.

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

with this bracken for a blanket, where these limbs stick out like bones

desert diver posted:

I've been given some Hungarian paprika. Does anyone have a decent goulash recipe I can make with it? Not too difficult, as I am a terrible cook.

Another spice question - I accidentally bought a ridiculous amount of caraway. What can I do with it?

Make some chicken paprikash.
http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Chicken_Paprikash_(Paprikas_Csirke)_with_Added_HOT_Spaetzle_Action

With the caraway, make some red cabbage.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
Anyone got a good recommendation for cajun rub, blackend rub and other cajun goodness?

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Anyone got a good recommendation for cajun rub, blackend rub and other cajun goodness?

Are you looking for actual seasoning recipes, or what to put the seasoning on?

If you want to mix your own seasoning, then just do a quick search for 'creole seasoning' or 'cajun seasoning'. It's all pretty much the same, so you can just adjust the individual seasonings to your taste. I don't really know of any secret spice additions that'll make it extra delicious.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Steve Yun posted:

Do two 9" pans like the recipe says next time. Geometry makes a huge difference in how the cake bakes.

I decided to make a second attempt at the cake today, since it was bugging me. I did bake it in two 9" pans, but I think that the bigger issue was how a measured the flour. I was packing the flour into the measuring cup instead of scraping the excess flour off of the top. This lead to too much flour in the cake, which I think contributed to the thick and almost cornbread like consistency of my first cake. The second attempt turned out much better. I do find the flavor of the cake itself to be a little bland, but maybe my expectations were too high or I'm too used to the taste of boxed yellow cake mix that my Mom made when I grew up. It was still a much better effort and I'm happy that I made something that actually tastes and looks like cake.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Can anyone tell me what these are?

Astranagant is right. C clamps. Those things at the bottom are used as anchors so that you can put them into anchor holes in tables and stuff.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

totalnewbie posted:

Rice cookers steam rice, which is a little different from boiling. Basically, boiling rice gets you mostly-dry and loose rice which tastes like crap. Steaming gets you the nice soft, moist, sticky rice that we connoisseurs love.

And yea, part of the steaming process involves bringing rice to a boil, but then the heat gets turned down and that's when the real cooking takes place.

Oh, I see. This is how I make rice, just didn't see the distinction. Thanks!

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

JimbobDobalina posted:

I went hunting this fall and came into a large quantity of venison, some of which has been turned into sausage. I have about 55 pounds of sausage, and in order to not become bored of eating this tasty treat over and over the same way, I am looking for some alternative methods of cooking it...

At the moment I slow cook it in a small amount of water in a covered roasting pan in the oven, and it comes out tasting great. However, with nearly 30 2lb rings all to myself there has to be a better way!
Pretty much any sausage is great when sliced up and grilled or fried. You may need to pre-cook yours for a bit depending on the texture you want.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

Tots posted:

Are you looking for actual seasoning recipes, or what to put the seasoning on?

If you want to mix your own seasoning, then just do a quick search for 'creole seasoning' or 'cajun seasoning'. It's all pretty much the same, so you can just adjust the individual seasonings to your taste. I don't really know of any secret spice additions that'll make it extra delicious.

Seasoning recipes, yeah. I had made one I found earlier and it turned out ok, if but a little bit too much like my paprika. Just seeing if there's a secret or a prefered recipe or site online. Thanks!

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Seasoning recipes, yeah. I had made one I found earlier and it turned out ok, if but a little bit too much like my paprika. Just seeing if there's a secret or a prefered recipe or site online. Thanks!

I'm sorta new 'round gws, so I don't know about any hivemind consensus, but I really like allrecipes just for sheer # of people that rate and comment on things.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

Tots posted:

I'm sorta new 'round gws, so I don't know about any hivemind consensus, but I really like allrecipes just for sheer # of people that rate and comment on things.

I'm new too! :fistbump:

I had pulled this one off of allrecipies actually, but there is a good chance I botched the measurements a bit since I doubled so I have some extra for the week.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/cajun-spice-mix-2/

That's what I used. Good, but I've been to New Orleans twice now and ate like a pig each time and something wasn't quite the same.

I am relatively new to trying cooking that isn't just bland chicken and other simple things, so I don't know too many nuances yet. The type of paprika used would greatly alter the recipe I would imagine? (This is for any dish and not just this)

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Hi new people!

Seems to me like that cajun spice recipe needs more black pepper. Gives it a surprising amount of bite. Also, it'll taste even nicer if you ease up on the garlic powder and instead dump a ton of fresh garlic into whatever you're cooking, along with the spice.

Note that there's no real "cajun flavor in a bottle" product: nothing will taste like it does in New Orleans just because you sprinkle it with some spices. (I wish it were true!) Cajun/creole flavor relies a lot on tasso ham, andouille sausage, browned meats, and the "trinity" (fresh onions/green pepper/celery). Tasso's hard to come by outside Louisiana, but find yourself some good andouille and you'll be halfway there.

Edit -- Re: paprika: if you use (non-smoked) paprika in small quantities, it adds more color than flavor to a dish. I hardly ever use it when I do Louisiana cooking.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

And you can always make yourself some pickle meat to get that vinegary goodness in whatever you're making.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

Thank you for the responses everyone!

Duece Ex Machina
Aug 6, 2008
Growing up my favorite meal was something my mom called Hawaiian Chicken:

Boneless/Skinless Breast
1 Cup Ketchup
1 Cup Honey
1/2 Stick Butter
1 Can Crushed Pineapple
Soy Sauce to taste
Serve over white rice.

As delicious as this is, I would like to try to jazz it up and replace the processed ingredients with fresher/healthier alternatives. MY GIRLFRIEND has already suggest hoisin or oyster sauce instead of soy, and fresh pineapple is pretty self explanatory, but how can I get the same flavor/consistency from the ketchup/honey/butter mixture?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Duece Ex Machina posted:

Growing up my favorite meal was something my mom called Hawaiian Chicken:

Boneless/Skinless Breast
1 Cup Ketchup
1 Cup Honey
1/2 Stick Butter
1 Can Crushed Pineapple
Soy Sauce to taste
Serve over white rice.

As delicious as this is, I would like to try to jazz it up and replace the processed ingredients with fresher/healthier alternatives. MY GIRLFRIEND has already suggest hoisin or oyster sauce instead of soy, and fresh pineapple is pretty self explanatory, but how can I get the same flavor/consistency from the ketchup/honey/butter mixture?

You have ingredients, but no technique, so I'm guessing that the chicken is pan seared and then coated with the various sauce ingredients mixed together and served over rice, correct?

Fresh Pineapple is a good start, you could also try some mandarin orange, maybe a little bit of lemon/lime juice/zest.

There isn't really anything wrong with Ketchup, honey & butter, and if you are looking for the same flavor/consistency, nothing else will do. However, if you are looking to improve and experiment you can try other things:

Right off the bat I don't see any salt or pepper. There is soy, so there is saltiness there, but you can control salt content easier by using salt and it tastes different than soy sauce.

Ketchup is tomato puree, salt, vinegar and sugar (basically). You can try making your own, but I buy and use the stuff without corn syrup and then punch it up myself with spices. Adding ginger to your mix might give it a little warmth and compliment the other flavors.

Adding half a stick of butter to the sauce seems like a bit much (but again, without directions I'm guessing at the application). Evenif you are cooking the chicken in a tablespoon of butter that's a lot of butter for a sauce. Try just a tablespoon or two for the whole recipe and see how it goes.

Honey is a sweetener so you could sub a little for white or brown sugar, or molasses, but do NOT put a full cup of either sugar in this recipe unless you want candied chicken. (You do not want candied chicken). As it is, equal parts honey and bottled ketchup (and canned pineapple) sounds way too sweet. Maybe cut the honey in half? You could also try other flavors of honey (orange blossom for example), but those will typically be more expensive.

You mention boneless chicken breast, I would suggest maybe trying some skin-on chicken thighs. Usually cheaper and the bone will add some flavor. Not as convenient, but it will taste better.

I don't know if I would go all Hoisin/Oyster sauce instead of soy, but mix a little together and taste it before adding.On that note, if you do use soy sauce, stay away from La Choy brand. They are terrible.

For a little extra flavor and flair you can top the finished and sauced chicken with some toasted/shredded (unsweetened) coconut or chopped peanuts. Or sticking with the Hawaiian theme you can try chopped macadamia nuts as well ($$$).

If you really want to go healthier you can serve it over brown rice (more time and effort for more nutrition), or another grain (couscous, quinoa, barley). Maybe a simple pepper and onion stir fry on the side as well.

CzarChasm fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jan 25, 2012