Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keet
Aug 20, 2005

Chev posted:

"Our world was conquered by the heartless so we fled" isn't what I'd call an overwraught backstory.

Adaptating a plot point of a game that's already been franchised shamelessly out from a Complication into ANOTHER game is still annoying. And telling, its the only non-Disney version of that. I just kinda wished they'd drop it. Including TWEWY is a bit odd, but it's a spiritual cousin and that was under the radar...

This thread reminded me of those old Dead Fantasy CG things Mounty Om made. It's still probably the best action sequence we'll get out of Kairi.

keet fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jan 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burntpork
Jan 25, 2010
New HQ Screenshots and Renders of Kingdom Hearts 3D

:black101:

More pictures at the link!

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

burntpork posted:

I wonder if Erasure plays when you ride it.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Where is the horse from? I'm bad at my Disney trivia. :(

Pretty awesome seeing the "Cat" graffiti. I hope we're going to get some TEWY music as well. :allears:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

burntpork posted:

"Quick pony, to the Pride parade!"

Those images are really crisp.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

PunkBoy posted:

Where is the horse from? I'm bad at my Disney trivia. :(

It's not from anything. It's part of the pokemon-like gimmick we get this time around.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

SpazmasterX posted:

It's not from anything. It's part of the pokemon-like gimmick we get this time around.

In any case Sora looks like he's having the time of his life. I've always liked that he's mostly been upbeat and positive. Seeing his reactions to Christmas Town in 2 was hilarious.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
All of those images except the last one are higher resolution than the 3DS can actually output.

That said, they do look pretty nice, I just wonder how it'll actually look on the console.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

burntpork posted:

Uh oh, Nomura is a brony too!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sometimes it is not always good to try to translate an art style directly.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

ImpAtom posted:

No kidding. A 6 inch waist and a skirt that is apparently held up by magic.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

ImpAtom posted:

That is goddamn terrifying.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.

SpazmasterX posted:

No kidding. A 6 inch waist and a skirt that is apparently held up by magic.

The same magic that makes that cat move! :science:

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Wouldn't be the first time a magic doll kept an outfit from slipping off.

Primoman fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jan 25, 2012

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
In her case I think it's more the corset than anything.

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
But yeah, that waistline is pushing it.

I still need to finish TWEWY one of these days.

It's hard to get into because the main character is such an unlikeable rear end in a top hat.

(and yes, I have been told several times he "gets better").

FalseShockWorker
Jan 28, 2009
That picture made me say "drat" out loud. But not in a sexy :drat: way, more like a, "drat, who thought that was a good idea" way. I want to like you Kingdom Hearts, but sometimes you make it so hard.

burntpork
Jan 25, 2010

PunkBoy posted:

... I hope we're going to get some TEWY music as well. :allears:

Kingdom Hearts 3D Soundtrack Out in April for Japan

quote:

The soundtrack itself will be a 3 disc set composed by Yoko Shimomura with help from Takeharu Ishimoto who composed The World Ends With You.
:supaburn:

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Wanna hear a remix of "Calling." Is it wrong to feel hype for a soundtrack?

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'd be happier with a clean, non-compressed version.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Primoman posted:

But yeah, that waistline is pushing it.

I still need to finish TWEWY one of these days.

It's hard to get into because the main character is such an unlikeable rear end in a top hat.

(and yes, I have been told several times he "gets better").

He really does. Neku ends up being a pretty chill dude. Plus the combat system is really great and you end up feeling like an invincible god by the end. Even more so than in the average KH game (BBS probably rivals it for turning you into an overpowered monstrosity, though). Also its soundtrack owned and I look forward to remixes of it for 3D. TWEWY is probably my favorite DS game.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

burntpork posted:

New HQ Screenshots and Renders of Kingdom Hearts 3D

More pictures at the link!

What is it about these games that make them so good look regardless of the system they're on? Smooth looking textures and a simple lighting engine?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Liku posted:

What is it about these games that make them so good look regardless of the system they're on? Smooth looking textures and a simple lighting engine?

I imagine it's a mix of the texture work and the art style of the game. Especially the art style in the game. It's the same reason that WoW still looks as good as it does while still being basically the same game since 2004.

keet
Aug 20, 2005

Macaluso posted:

I imagine it's a mix of the texture work and the art style of the game. Especially the art style in the game. It's the same reason that WoW still looks as good as it does while still being basically the same game since 2004.

It helps the other major aesthetic influence is Disney, whose old animation stuff was (and mostly still is) built on smooth solid coloring and simple flowing lines (Tron breaks this but Trons glowly style is arguably more iconic than it being a live-action movie). That's why Snow White still looks good for being an 80 year old movie.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

:allears:

Putting that in the OP

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jan 25, 2012

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Primoman posted:

Everything in KH is an original continuity, so that right there explains why Aerith isn't dead.
I remember when KH first came out I assumed Cloud was working for Hades in exchange for Hades bringing Aeris back to life (but, being a dick, he sent her somewhere far away from him).

In retrospect, it was a pretty awesome theory :colbert:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Macaluso posted:

While I will admit WoW has some decent texture work in places, the game looks dated as poo poo and everything is horribly blocky. The KH games always tend to look so... smooth.

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
You should see how the console games look running at 1080p.

Not sure if we're allowed to talk about it, so just do a YouTube search.

I'd say the KH games should get first priority over anything else by Square for the HD Remaster treatment, because the transition would be easy as heck, and look awesome as gently caress.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Okay yeah that does look pretty good. I should really look into PS2 emulation.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

Emulation is a-ok to talk about and is perfectly legal so long as you own the games in question. The KH games emulate really well, little to no bugs and run full or near full speed on any decent PC.

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Okay, good.

Yes, the KH games look incredible, and best of all are one of the less resource-heavy PS2 games to emulate. Only issue is the stretched UI, but that's a minor quibble.

I really, really want remastered PS3 versions though. KH's anniversary is this year, right? While they could use 3D as an excuse, I'm really hoping they're working on those remasters.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Primoman posted:

Okay, good.

Yes, the KH games look incredible, and best of all are one of the less resource-heavy PS2 games to emulate. Only issue is the stretched UI, but that's a minor quibble.

I really, really want remastered PS3 versions though. KH's anniversary is this year, right? While they could use 3D as an excuse, I'm really hoping they're working on those remasters.

only if they are the final mixes and include Re:Chain

EDIT: I would play the poo poo out of KH in 1080p and 3D, holy moly

Mrs. Badcrumble
Sep 21, 2002

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

only if they are the final mixes and include Re:Chain

EDIT: I would play the poo poo out of KH in 1080p and 3D, holy moly

Don't forget Birth By Sleep: Final Mix, too! MGS Peace Walker and both PSP God of War games already got excellent up-ports to PS3, so it's quite doable.

KH1, in particular, though, could use some important fixes (like a cutscene skip function, camera control with the right stick, and so on) so that it feels more in line with the rest of the games.

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
If I recall, the Final Mix of KHI included the ability to skip cutscenes and an improved (not right analog) camera.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Yeah, a KH HD Collection would be a day-one purchase for me, especially if it included the Final Mixes, Re:Chain and a port of BBS

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Pablo Gigante posted:

Yeah, a KH HD Collection would be a day-one purchase for me, especially if it included the Final Mixes, Re:Chain and a port of BBS

I'd want to buy it as well, though they'd probably make it PS3 exclusive because they are jerks who hate money. Hell, it'd be worth the money if only to be able to play BBS on something less painful to use than a psp. Though now that I think about it, I guess they don't have an exclusivity agreement since they did release games on Nintendo systems. I guess it could be exclusive for the main games, though.

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'm far from a programming expert, but maybe porting a PS2 game for the 360 is much more difficult than a PS2>PS3 conversion.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Primoman posted:

I'm far from a programming expert, but maybe porting a PS2 game for the 360 is much more difficult than a PS2>PS3 conversion.

It is more difficult if the PS2 game used the pressure sensitive buttons that the PS2 controller had, though it's not completely impossible to find a way around that as the Metal Gear Solid HD collection was released for both PS3 and 360 and two of the games in that collection used the pressure sensitive buttons back when they came out on PS2. I think they ended up reprogramming the 360 ports so that a combination of two buttons would work around it.

But I don't think Kingdom Hearts 1 or 2 actually used pressure sensitivity so I don't think it'd be a huge problem for Square-Enix. It really all depends on how much effort they want to put in.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Mr. Fortitude posted:

It is more difficult if the PS2 game used the pressure sensitive buttons that the PS2 controller had, though it's not completely impossible to find a way around that as the Metal Gear Solid HD collection was released for both PS3 and 360 and two of the games in that collection used the pressure sensitive buttons back when they came out on PS2. I think they ended up reprogramming the 360 ports so that a combination of two buttons would work around it.

But I don't think Kingdom Hearts 1 or 2 actually used pressure sensitivity so I don't think it'd be a huge problem for Square-Enix. It really all depends on how much effort they want to put in.

if you used the right stick to move up and down your attack menu in battle, you could click it instead of pressing X or whatever and it would select things for you.

vvvv well, I learned something today.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jan 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

That's not pressure sensitivity. What he means is that the PS2 controller could tell how much force you're applying to a button instead of just being a simple pressed/not-pressed switch. Very few games used that. MGS2, for example, allows you to pull out your weapon and aim by holding Square, then pressing Square further in to actually shoot.