Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

CPL593H posted:

Didn't Radiohead put out one of their albums for free a few years ago and it ended up selling really well after that?

It wasn't "free". It was a name your own price sale on the digital format.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

cosmicjim posted:

It wasn't "free". It was a name your own price sale on the digital format.

So could people just say they only wanted to pay a penny, or pay zero dollars?

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Brutalist Bricks was pretty good, but I'd still rather listen to Tyranny or Hearts of Oak or Shake the Sheets.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

CPL593H posted:

Didn't Radiohead put out one of their albums for free a few years ago and it ended up selling really well after that?

Radiohead is really well known though. This system wouldn't necessarily work for smaller, unknown bands.

(having said that, some of my favorite albums of late have been one of those 'pay-what-you-want' type deals. Lookbook's Wild at Heart, Decibully's self-titled, Blessed Feathers' From The Mouthes Of The Middle Class, etc)

CPL593H posted:

So could people just say they only wanted to pay a penny, or pay zero dollars?

They could pay zero dollars. So yes, they put it up for free.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
My Joyful Noise flexi-disc showed up today, but instead of the box, it came with a little note saying they're sending the box out next month. :( On the plus side, the note has a little hand drawn apology cartoon thing, so that's kinda cool.

Edit: Good track, too. I've never really listened to Lou Barlow before, but part of the reason I signed up for this is to hear artists I wouldn't normally hear.

Cpt. Spring Types fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jan 20, 2012

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Radiohead is really well known though. This system wouldn't necessarily work for smaller, unknown bands.

Their status as a big name group is exactly why I made an example of them. The record companies are doing stupid things as a knee jerk response to people downloading poo poo on the internet. Meanwhile, here's a top selling group who found a way to actually work with the current culture of downloading and actually make some money. It's almost as if you can get people to buy poo poo if you don't pre-emptively treat your potential customers like common criminals.

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

My Joyful Noise flexi-disc showed up today, but instead of the box, it came with a little note saying they're sending the box out next month. :( On the plus side, the note has a little hand drawn apology cartoon thing, so that's kinda cool.

Edit: Good track, too. I've never really listened to Lou Barlow before, but part of the reason I signed up for this is to hear artists I wouldn't normally hear.

I liked the little drawing. It adds a nice personal touch instead of the "gently caress you give us your money" attitude everything has these days.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

CPL593H posted:

Their status as a big name group is exactly why I made an example of them. The record companies are doing stupid things as a knee jerk response to people downloading poo poo on the internet. Meanwhile, here's a top selling group who found a way to actually work with the current culture of downloading and actually make some money. It's almost as if you can get people to buy poo poo if you don't pre-emptively treat your potential customers like common criminals.

See also that Louis CK show just recently.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Dissapointed Owl posted:

See also that Louis CK show just recently.

Exactly. He's publically stated several times that it was a wild success and he already plans on doing more things like that because it's better for the fans.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

It's easy to collect vinyl when you have cool parents/grandparents.

KISS and Cosby

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

CPL593H posted:

I liked the little drawing. It adds a nice personal touch instead of the "gently caress you give us your money" attitude everything has these days.

Yeah, I'm going to keep the note in the box when it comes. It's definitely a nice touch for them to do something like that.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

CPL593H posted:

I had a record label (Bridge Nine, who are a hardcore/punk label) when a record I ordered got delayed and came it way late (it was has a screenprinted b-side, which allegedly took forever or something) do something like this. They sent a note along with the record that said something along the lines of "HEY! THANKS FOR WAITING SO LONG FOR THIS CEREMONY RECORD!" It wasn't handwritten, but it was cool nonetheless.

On a related note, I ordered a shirt from the band Bridge and Tunnel, and the lead singer/guitarist wrote me a note saying how it was cool that I was from Baltimore and if I had been to some restaurant he goes to when he's up there. Screaming Females did the same thing when I ordered some records from them, except it was the drummer mentioning how seeing the Baltimore address had him listening to Double Dagger.

Basically I love it when bands/labels take note of the fact that they're sending stuff to actual people.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Don't you love going through your records and finding poo poo you can't remember buying... and then wondering why you bought it? For instance, I found a Weird Al promo 12" for White and Nerdy... and I don't know why.

Cemetry Gator fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jan 20, 2012

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

LtTennisBall posted:

I had a record label (Bridge Nine, who are a hardcore/punk label) when a record I ordered got delayed and came it way late (it was has a screenprinted b-side, which allegedly took forever or something) do something like this. They sent a note along with the record that said something along the lines of "HEY! THANKS FOR WAITING SO LONG FOR THIS CEREMONY RECORD!" It wasn't handwritten, but it was cool nonetheless.

On a related note, I ordered a shirt from the band Bridge and Tunnel, and the lead singer/guitarist wrote me a note saying how it was cool that I was from Baltimore and if I had been to some restaurant he goes to when he's up there. Screaming Females did the same thing when I ordered some records from them, except it was the drummer mentioning how seeing the Baltimore address had him listening to Double Dagger.

Basically I love it when bands/labels take note of the fact that they're sending stuff to actual people.

One time I ordered a Majority Rule record from a label I can't quite remember and they ran out of the colour I wanted so the guy wrote on my invoice that he shipped me a rarer colour pressing and to enjoy the tunes :3:

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

Parachute Underwear posted:

One time I ordered a Majority Rule record from a label I can't quite remember and they ran out of the colour I wanted so the guy wrote on my invoice that he shipped me a rarer colour pressing and to enjoy the tunes :3:

Was it Magic Bullet Records or something? I have a Majority Rule repress from them.

i am a bee
Apr 17, 2006
bees, bees, bees, just lookin' for a good time
Here's a weird thing.

I picked up Reign in Blood by Slayer yesterday (something I've been wanting since getting my turntable as it's a favourite) from my local store. The record and the sleeve are in great condition and don't look bootleggy but the record itself has no band or company logos or album title on it. The track names/composers and copyright info are all on there.

What's the consensus? Bootleg? It doesn't seem to have the locked groove at the end of Rain in Blood I've heard some versions do. I'm in the UK if that makes any difference.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

LtTennisBall posted:

Was it Magic Bullet Records or something? I have a Majority Rule repress from them.
Probably Robotic Empire.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

stay depressed posted:

Probably Robotic Empire.

yeah that would make more sense. I know they did all the pg.99 repressing, didn't know they did Majority Rule though. Still waiting for someone to repress some Funeral Diner stuff.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

LtTennisBall posted:

Yeah, it was Magic Bullet! And yes, I want some goddamned FD represses :mad:

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Cemetry Gator posted:

Don't you love going through your records and finding poo poo you can't remember buying... and then wondering why you bought it? For instance, I found a Weird Al promo 12" for White and Nerdy... and I don't know why.

What? Why not?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Dissapointed Owl posted:

What? Why not?

Because some people are just dead inside. I met Weird Al after a concert and he signed my UHF DVD. He's a really nice guy. He also looks freakishly young.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

CPL593H posted:

Because some people are just dead inside. I met Weird Al after a concert and he signed my UHF DVD. He's a really nice guy. He also looks freakishly young.

He came to Europe once. For a show in Amsterdam. And I couldn't go.

Seriously, I regret that so much. I grew up with that guy.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
If I ever see him live, I will have him sign that record. That thing is honestly one of my most prized possessions. I mean, "White and Nerdy, Confessions Part III, and Trapped in the Drive-Thru?" All are brilliants, especially the last one. When I saw he did that, I was like, "How can you parody that which is already a parody." The man showed me the light.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
I guess the Heady Nuggs albums are getting independent reissues (save for Soft Bulletin). Saw on Amazon a "Vinyl, 2012" option for the early albums. Don't know any other details. Wonder if they'll be much different from the Heady Nuggs pressing/colored. Probably not.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Why wouldn't The Soft Bulletin be released separately?

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007
They are apparently on February 14 for almost $30. Yikes.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Peacebone posted:

They are apparently on February 14 for almost $30. Yikes.

30 bucks for a 2 LP is pretty much the going rate. A lot of times it's 40-50.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

CPL593H posted:

30 bucks for a 2 LP is pretty much the going rate. A lot of times it's 40-50.

That's really high. Every new double album I've got on Amazon is like $20-$25 tops.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Blast Fantasto posted:

That's really high. Every new double album I've got on Amazon is like $20-$25 tops.

I never buy LPs from amazon. Speaking in terms of any store I've been in, that's the price range I've seen.

Superchunk
Dec 27, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I've always known standard price for a new single LP is about 12-18 and a double is anywhere from 18-25 at the most. I've seen some double LPs (like Bjork's Debut reissue) at some larger corporate stores like Hastings for $30+, but at any of my local record stores nothing is more than 30 dollars unless it's some rare collectible thing.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
I guess it all depends on what you're buying and how much the label feels like gauging you? I recently bought a 4 LP set of Daphne Oram recordings for $47. For me to drop that much on a double LP, it had better be fetish-object style packaging or something.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

WASDF posted:

Why wouldn't The Soft Bulletin be released separately?

Ack, I guess I didn't check that one, and assumed since it had a recent reissue it wouldn't get one this time around.

Odoyle
Sep 9, 2003
Odoyle Rules!

Liar Lyre posted:

It's easy to collect vinyl when you have cool parents/grandparents.

Imagining a lifetime where my [grand]parents listen(ed) to Mastodon.

I could have phrased that in future tense but there's no loving way I'm spawning intentionally.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.
I'm sorry that this is going to be really big. I've posted this collection in here before, but I've gotten some cool new stuff since the last time.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
You have way too much money. And that's a good thing.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

Surfingelectrode posted:

I'm sorry that this is going to be really big. I've posted this collection in here before, but I've gotten some cool new stuff since the last time.

I often want to try to find everything to collect by a band like Flaming Lips but then I look at your collection... Fantastic and I'm jealous.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I'm so jelly that I had to figure out how to maneuver my new jelly-based body to type this message.

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Surfingelectrode posted:

What, no gummy skull?

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.

Wilbur Swain posted:

What, no gummy skull?

Sold it to raise some money for New Years in OKC.

Surfingelectrode fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jan 25, 2012

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
That Joyful Noise flexi-disc subscription is really classy. Glad I signed up for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

Surfingelectrode posted:

Sold it to raise some money for New Years in OKC.

How much of your collection is Flaming Lips, would you guess? Cause that's some (awesome) dedication.