Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Fauxhawk Express posted:

I wish Chappelle's Show was still around to mock these Edward Jones commercials that play during NHL games. Just 30 seconds of entitled white people problems.

Fauxhawk Express posted:

NHL games. white people.

Sounds like they're very well made commercials to me. Nailing their audience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
I finally found that truck commercial that'd been bothering me ages ago: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS0JkKa3FdU

It feels so over the top and deliberately low-budget and dirty.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Sash! posted:

Red Tails commercials on most channels and Red Tails commercials on the Historical Things Exploding featuring Hitler and/or Saddam channels are clearly promoting two different movies.

I am so loving sick of Red Tails commercials. I can't watch any channel without hearing some guys shout "we fight" 20 times per half hour.

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.
Samsung Galaxy 2 commercials are pretty loving annoying, "we're just like the iphone so it means were better!". Some dopey guy walks into a small clothes shop and asks the girl for thumbless gloves to text and she shows him she can text by asking him out on a date through voice text. They sell gloves that let you text jerk, and you can text via voice on Iphone 4s too.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Not really a awful ad, but it always amuses me when they play a commercial for Shirely Temple Collection on Adult Swim. Talk about poor marketing.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

squarerandom posted:

Samsung Galaxy 2 commercials are pretty loving annoying, "we're just like the iphone so it means were better!". Some dopey guy walks into a small clothes shop and asks the girl for thumbless gloves to text and she shows him she can text by asking him out on a date through voice text. They sell gloves that let you text jerk, and you can text via voice on Iphone 4s too.
A phone commercial shows a feature implying you can't do the same/similar on a competing device?
Welcome to pretty much all iPhone ads.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life

Cyril Sneer posted:

The talk of Red Tails reminded me that there's a new movie commercial voice-over guy whose been making the rounds lately. He tries to sound deep and dramatic, but it just sounds like someone with a plugged nose from a bad cold.

Red Tails = Ren Dails
Devil = Dehnvil

It's really irritating to listen to.

Is it the guy who does the voiceover for the Bones (TV show) trailers? Because he always pronounces it "bownnes"

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011

jojoinnit posted:

I finally found that truck commercial that'd been bothering me ages ago: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS0JkKa3FdU

It feels so over the top and deliberately low-budget and dirty.

Holy gently caress. HOW COOL IS THIIIISSSSSS!

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.

The Merkinman posted:

A phone commercial shows a feature implying you can't do the same/similar on a competing device?

I know I know, low hanging fruit but maybe it's because I haven't seen as many iphone ads lately. Did get super pissed when I got lost driving last night and couldn't redo my route because I was on a call, thanks iphone.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Rirse posted:

Not really a awful ad, but it always amuses me when they play a commercial for Shirely Temple Collection on Adult Swim. Talk about poor marketing.

Adult Swim always seems to have weird ads.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

DrBouvenstein posted:

Adult Swim always seems to have weird ads.

That is true, but it's always jarring when they play a commercial that just doesn't fit their userbase at all, like the Shirley Temple ad.

Anyway, I'm really tired of the new Dish Network(?) ad where it implies if you use cable, your grandson will be some horrible mistake from a biker daughter somehow.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Rirse posted:

Anyway, I'm really tired of the new Dish Network(?) ad where it implies if you use cable, your grandson will be some horrible mistake from a biker daughter somehow.

That's DirecTv.

I'm tired of the Vonnage anti-bundle ads. Especially the one where the idiot husband (shocker - a dumb husband) somehow thinks his wife is referring to their baby when she rips on their phone company bundle.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Rirse posted:

That is true, but it's always jarring when they play a commercial that just doesn't fit their userbase at all, like the Shirley Temple ad.

It's not so much that Turner is selling that block specifically because honestly, nobody wants to market to drunk, broke college kids. Any channel from 10PM until about 5:30 AM is selling dirt-cheap ad times.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Rirse posted:

when they play a commercial that just doesn't fit their userbase at all

I'm glad you can think that, cause when I see that ad just an hour or so before the animu comes on I have terrible thoughts about what's being thought about in other living rooms.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Sometimes when you see a bizarre, out-of-place spot in late night cable programming, it's actually because that spot was meant to be covered by a local spot from your cable/satellite company. You ever see a split-second of a spot right after a local one right before the show resumes? That's one of the spots that got covered. The whole explanation is a bit more technical, but that's the gist of it.

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

Rirse posted:

That's the one with the set that costs like 100 Goddamn dollars, right? If I had a bunch of money to waste I know what all my friends would get as birthday and/or Christmas presents!

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

The Moon Monster posted:

I am so loving sick of Red Tails commercials. I can't watch any channel without hearing some guys shout "we fight" 20 times per half hour.

"Take THAT, Mr. Hitler!" :fsmug:

whos that broooown fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jan 24, 2012

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
On the opposite end of the spectrum, the Velveeta "I'm a Blacksmith" commercial is loving rad.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

The music in those Prius V commercials give me a loving headache.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Rhyno posted:

On the opposite end of the spectrum, the Velveeta "I'm a Blacksmith" commercial is loving rad.

Just add ground beef, apprentice.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Rirse posted:

What is with those commercials? They show all the time for a few months and then they disappear for like 5 years or whenever the next video format comes out. Aside from them showing VHS tapes / DVDs / HD-DVDs / Blu-Rays in the commercial, it's been like the same commercial for the last 15 years or so.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

raditts posted:

What is with those commercials? They show all the time for a few months and then they disappear for like 5 years or whenever the next video format comes out. Aside from them showing VHS tapes / DVDs / HD-DVDs / Blu-Rays in the commercial, it's been like the same commercial for the last 15 years or so.

The commercial doesn't seem to say it, but I believe the restoration was done by Legend Films. The fine folks who give us Rifftrax.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
I really want to smack the Gazelle lady with an old iPhone.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

This isn't so much a "bad commercial" post so much as a "what the gently caress?" commercial post. I just saw a commercial for mail. Regular rear end mail, by the USPS.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
How exactly is the USPS meant to turn a profit if they don't advertise in these, our futurist times?

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Mister Kingdom posted:

I really want to smack the Gazelle lady with an old iPhone.

There's something really obnoxious about her delivery but I just can't put my finger on it.

On the other hand she kind of reminds me of Sabrina from Raising Hope, so I'm kind of torn about how I feel.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

angerbeet posted:

How exactly is the USPS meant to turn a profit if they don't advertise in these, our futurist times?

The strangest part was that it wasn't targeted towards regular people, instead it was towards companies telling them to send people their statements and such through the mail because mail doesn't get hacked.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, and it's such an rear end message. I don't WANT paper statements. I'm happy I don't have electric bills and gas bills littering up my house. They serve no purpose and if I really needed one for something I can go to the website and print out one.

Not to mention that it's a shitload more environmentally friendly. There's no paper used and no fuel used to deliver the bill.

98% of what I get in the mail, without hyperbole, goes directly into the recycling.

I don't have answers as to how the USPS can remain solvent, but trying to go back in time just isn't the answer. They need to evolve.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Forget solvency. The USPS should be funded as a public utility and screw having to make a profit.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Maxwell Lord posted:

Forget solvency. The USPS should be funded as a public utility and screw having to make a profit.

Wait, it isn't that way already? I thought the postal service was a government agency? And perhaps a third statement of confusion?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

McSpanky posted:

Wait, it isn't that way already? I thought the postal service was a government agency? And perhaps a third statement of confusion?

It's an independent government agency and hasn't received government subsidy since Reagan.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Also they do actually turn a profit from mailings and such, its just that Congress hosed them over with the mandate that they have to fully fund pensions well in advance. Or something like that.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

The strangest part was that it wasn't targeted towards regular people, instead it was towards companies telling them to send people their statements and such through the mail because mail doesn't get hacked.

It was such a great line too. "A letter doesn't get a virus!" All sorts of goofy poo poo.

Awesome Welles posted:

The music in those Prius V commercials give me a loving headache.

Is this the peppy "love you and i need you" one where they're showing that rotating stage? God that's bad.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

McSpanky posted:

It hasn't been that since the Nixon administration. The USPS is supposed to fund itself and has pretty much done so since the '80s. The model has been doomed since the getgo, as the USPS needs an act of Congress to authorize price changes. It isn't helping that in 2006 that Congress passed a bill that is currently making the USPS divert most of its revenue to prepaying 75 years worth of health benefits for future employees.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 15 days!)

Not only all that other stuff, they have to provide mail serive to every single house in the US, 6 days a week. They have to do that with no federal funding.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Toffile posted:

It isn't helping that in 2006 that Congress passed a bill that is currently making the USPS divert most of its revenue to prepaying 75 years worth of health benefits for future employees.

Yep, and the bill to repeal that requirement (one that is imposed on no other business, public or private, in the United States) that has over 200 co-sponsors is being held up in committee by supreme rear end in a top hat Darrell Issa.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
We asked Bill Gates where he would go for a 300 dollar loan. We even asked a U.S. President where they would go for a 500 dollar loan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_C82rUXgmE

God I hate you so much.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Toffile posted:

It hasn't been that since the Nixon administration. The USPS is supposed to fund itself and has pretty much done so since the '80s. The model has been doomed since the getgo, as the USPS needs an act of Congress to authorize price changes. It isn't helping that in 2006 that Congress passed a bill that is currently making the USPS divert most of its revenue to prepaying 75 years worth of health benefits for future employees.

Yeah, they literally enacted that so they could go "look! The Post Office is unprofitable! We should get rid of it and privatize the mail!"

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

The Merkinman posted:

The difference here is that the iPhone ads merely show off what you can do with the phone, whereas Samsung has been insulting potential customers in theirs.

And before you cite the ads with Justin Long and John Hodgman, those ads were insulting Windows, not Windows users.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Luigi Thirty posted:

Yeah, they literally enacted that so they could go "look! The Post Office is unprofitable! We should get rid of it and privatize the mail!"

Wasn't that a push by the same people who wanted to get rid of the NWS and make AccuWeather a sanctioned monopoly?