Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

Mike_V posted:

Bleh, there are some things I'm interested in on that tracklist, but Mark Radford's show is always a bit of a snoozer for me. I'll give it a listen, but this may go the way of Kismet's mix for me.

Yeah I can definitely see it as being pretty love it or hate it. If you liked the Kismet one you'll probably like the new one. If you didn't probably avoid it and wait for the next one which'll probably be something a bit rougher and grimier(if not actually Grimier). I was kinda hoping it'd be The Heatwave's turn though.

And there is always Wiley's new LP to make up for it then. And by make up I mean possibly mildly disappointed. Boom Blast is probably the weakest cut, but the rest is sounding a bit hit and miss. And in all honestly I've not got a clue whether to cry in joy or horror at "I'm Skanking". I can see that being rinsed as the standard phone reply for the next few months. "what you up to man?" "I'm skanking!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

So announced a few days ago and seemingly ignored by everyone (including me!) is Mark Radford is doing the next Rinse CD. Actually really looking forward to this as for the past few months - now that I'm pennyless and on the dole - Mark Radford's Saturday night show has been locked on my dials. Or bookmarks or whatever it is nowadays. Really smooth 'n' slinky, kinda European slightly techy but not really techy cool Housey stuff (now that's a description and a half!). If you liked the Kismet Rinse mix and that whole Circle sound you'll probably like this. Unless the disc turns out crap, but I doubt it.

I used to listen to Radford's podcast regularly but I've gotten sick of it. A lot of the tunes he plays are a little too 'big room' for me and I don't feel like there is enough warmup or variety. It seems like every show starts as if he is stepping into the booth at midnight and the floor is packed.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

Dopo posted:

I used to listen to Radford's podcast regularly but I've gotten sick of it. A lot of the tunes he plays are a little too 'big room' for me and I don't feel like there is enough warmup or variety. It seems like every show starts as if he is stepping into the booth at midnight and the floor is packed.

Well he does normally have some pretty big boots to fill coming on after MA1. It's fun to listen to when you and your mates are pigging down on a Chinese takeaway though! I kinda see his show just as like some proper pre-going out music. Getting you pumped - but not too pumped! - for a Saturday night out on the town.

I was actually surprised he got it though as I can name a couple of other people who I would've placed above him. I guess after the past couple of mixes they were just after someone who is on a bit of a different vibe ting.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
It's kind of funny how living in different timezones affects perception of shows. Like MA1 is always hanging out in the afternoon or going to the gym for me. I'll usually turn off Radford's show after that because I'm not looking to get down to that sound at 3 PM on a Saturday.

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

:krakken::krakken::krakken:

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

And there is always Wiley's new LP to make up for it then. And by make up I mean possibly mildly disappointed. Boom Blast is probably the weakest cut, but the rest is sounding a bit hit and miss. And in all honestly I've not got a clue whether to cry in joy or horror at "I'm Skanking". I can see that being rinsed as the standard phone reply for the next few months. "what you up to man?" "I'm skanking!"

Hit or miss indeed, always glad to see a proper grime album and every disc seems to have a good track or two but that's still a weak percentage of bangers. Can I Have A Taxi Please has the best beat on the album and it's wasted on an interlude/outro. :( I wish there was more of a riddim culture in the genre, I'd love to hear some MC's spray bars over it.

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004
Guido just posted a couple tracks for free download that sound pretty good: http://soundcloud.com/guidoproductions/sets/free-download-70

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004
And if you like future booty club music you're gonna flip your poo poo for Floyd Campbell's forthcoming EP on Body High. He just put out this 40 minute mix of all original unreleased material as a teaser: http://soundcloud.com/bodyhigh/floyd-campbell-visions

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

Dopo posted:

Guido just posted a couple tracks for free download that sound pretty good: http://soundcloud.com/guidoproductions/sets/free-download-70

It's been a while since I heard anything from him. Was the album the last thing he's done? That was a good while ago now.

Also this week I has mostly been groovin' to the first release by Xosar out on L.I.E.S . Maybe a bit too techno-y for some here, but I've been digging the bleepiness of Voodoo Castle especially. Bit of bleeps never hurt no one. You US folks can't complain this time either since it's apparently a US import, so it should be cheap for you guys! Probably.

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

Jesus, Nemo you alright?! Spaz! .... Stop Smiling!

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

It's been a while since I heard anything from him. Was the album the last thing he's done? That was a good while ago now.

He did two tracks on Baobinga's Joint Ventures album. In fact he was on one of my favorite tracks. The guitar sampling gets me every time.

Guido & Baobinga - Bumba

Edit: Apparently he just released one this month, which I bought blind on principle, and if you enjoyed Anidea you might as well grab it up.

Micro X/Vessel Dogs

HatchetDown fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jan 22, 2012

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

HatchetDown posted:

He did two tracks on Baobinga's Joint Ventures album. In fact he was on one of my favorite tracks. The guitar sampling gets me every time.

Guido & Baobinga - Bumba

Edit: Apparently he just released one this month, which I bought blind on principle, and if you enjoyed Anidea you might as well grab it up.

Micro X/Vessel Dogs

Huh, well what do you know. Totally missed this. Still I figured he'd be a bit more active, trying to capatilise on the album, which seemed to go down really well.

Speaking of guitars if I ever dust off the slowly decaying rack of gear I'll need to try and persuade my friend to drag down his Yamaha guitar>midi unit. That thing was pretty funky actually and made you think you were in some bizarre 90s Jazz-Fusion band. Well in his hands, I've got the guitar playing skills of a 2 year old (randomly holds some frets and strums everything), but it is a silly instrument anyway.

psychicsecession
Jan 15, 2011

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

Huh, well what do you know. Totally missed this. Still I figured he'd be a bit more active, trying to capatilise on the album, which seemed to go down really well.

Speaking of guitars if I ever dust off the slowly decaying rack of gear I'll need to try and persuade my friend to drag down his Yamaha guitar>midi unit. That thing was pretty funky actually and made you think you were in some bizarre 90s Jazz-Fusion band. Well in his hands, I've got the guitar playing skills of a 2 year old (randomly holds some frets and strums everything), but it is a silly instrument anyway.

I think he's actually starting his own label and prepping a live show, last I heard.

Also, the new Machinedrum EP on Luckyme is really dope, digging the ballroom vibes on this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlmJoDj04tU

asphyxiaphilia
Jan 16, 2009

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

I don't really listen to mixes off the net unless it's already a big name (no offense meant to anyone) but big up for being cool enough to put this one in and making me actually listen to it :respek:. Normally the world would never need another mix of Pacific, but when it's the co-creater of the bloody thing doing it? Well I don't mind budging up and making some space.

None taken, thanks for listening! The album that cut is taken from (Tronic Jazz) is one of my all time favorite modern Techno LPs, if you're into A Guy Called Gerald and you don't already have it I would *highly* recommend it :)

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

asphyxiaphilia posted:

None taken, thanks for listening! The album that cut is taken from (Tronic Jazz) is one of my all time favorite modern Techno LPs, if you're into A Guy Called Gerald and you don't already have it I would *highly* recommend it :)

Ho boy, as if the username never gave it it all away, I'll save more gushing about my love for AGCG as the amount of eye rolls people here probably do over how much I go on about him will probably cause the Earth to spin backwards for a split second. But yeah, Tronic Jazz was great and I'm glad Lab Instinct gave the tracks a proper release on vinyl. I know Proto Acid got a mixed thing like the CD itself, but it's not the same. Pacific Samba was my fav cut off it so I figured if someone had that in a mix they can't be all that daft.

psychicsecession posted:

I think he's actually starting his own label and prepping a live show, last I heard.

Also, the new Machinedrum EP on Luckyme is really dope, digging the ballroom vibes on this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlmJoDj04tU

Yeah I've definitely been liking this one as well. Though anyone who can get away with sticking a dog bark sample in there gets my respect. I definitely like it more when his stuff is a bit more straight ahead, a bit more slinky and less cut up, loopy and well, Juke-y I guess, like some stuff can be, if that makes any sense? Probably why I thought the Sepulcure album was great while his actual LP from last year was only okay. Though I guess I'm just getting a bit sick of all the cut-up Juke inspired stuff coming out now. It kinda seems like it's getting to reach 2006 Loefah clone levels. Not at critical mass but cause for concern as they used to say on my report card.

Know what else I've been loving this week? The first single by The Shining. Or Theshining or whatever it is, out on Young Turks. Maybe something a bit difficult to fit into most peoples set, but the funkiness I dig a lot. Done by Morgan Zarate of Spacek and probably best known to you guys with this Hyperdub release last year. If you don't know, Spacek put out a fantastic album out on Island's short lived Blue label about 10 years ago and if you have a chance to pick it up bag it. Pick up their !K7 one while you're at it also. Kinda downtempo hip-hoppy souly kinda stuff. Actually I only just found out a wee while ago that dBridge is actually the brother of one member of Spacek so there we go. Small world.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Off Me Nut just released The Squire Of Gothos's new EP We Do Jeff Goldblum Things for £3 and featuring Bombhead off Hollyoaks.

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

So... Rusko and Cypress Hill are working together.

http://www.factmag.com/2012/01/23/cypress-hill-and-rusko-announce-collaborative-ep-stream-a-track-inside/

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004
Fitting, because they're equally relevant nowadays.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

HatchetDown posted:

So... Rusko and Cypress Hill are working together.

http://www.factmag.com/2012/01/23/cypress-hill-and-rusko-announce-collaborative-ep-stream-a-track-inside/

Well colour me surprised, I didn't even know Cypress Hill were even a thing anymore (that's probably what I get for not living in the 90s anymore). Actually as much as it might shock people who think they know my script, I don't think it even sounds too bad from the 30sec clip. Not the total trainwreck you expect from these kinda things. The whole thing might end up not totally abysmal with someone there to keep Rusko on the straight and narrow as it were. Though I am imagining the horror of the inevitable arena live set however, a massive throbbing sea of white faces in sweat drenched Run DMC-style Dubstep t-shirts moshing un-rhythmatically under constant strobe flashes. The horror, the horror...

Actually I'm remembering the last time I paid any attention to anything Cypress Hill, and that was when DJ Muggs did that album with Tricky. I liked that actually, a couple of nifty bits and pieces. But you probably don't want to take my word on that since I'm adamant the only truly ultra below par thing Tricky has done is Blowback, which could've been trimmed to an EP or Mini-LP with much success.

e: And I'd just like to remind folks of my constant efforts at remaining highly hypocritical with a very refined ability to pick and choose - So yes, I do know Tricky is just as 90s as Cypress Hill.

28 Gun Bad Boy fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jan 24, 2012

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

Bellend Sebastian posted:

Off Me Nut just released The Squire Of Gothos's new EP We Do Jeff Goldblum Things for £3 and featuring Bombhead off Hollyoaks.

Wait what, you seriously mean "lee otway" aka "bombhead" of hollyoaks, the student drama where he played the character who kept the corpse of his dead mam in his house until he had a party and all his friends came round and knew something was really wrong when they smelt rotting flesh and called the authorities?

The guy who saw the ghost of mr c?

has his own riddim?

Incredible.

edit: "my names lee otway and i played bombhead in 'ollyoaks, your listenin to off me nut records"

Ponce de Le0n fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jan 24, 2012

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

Leon with a Zero posted:

Wait what, you seriously mean "lee otway" aka "bombhead" of hollyoaks, the student drama where he played the character who kept the corpse of his dead mam in his house until he had a party and all his friends came round and knew something was really wrong when they smelt rotting flesh and called the authorities?

The guy who saw the ghost of mr c?

has his own riddim?

Incredible.

edit: "my names lee otway and i played bombhead in 'ollyoaks, your listenin to off me nut records"

Wait Hollyoaks has a plot? It has male characters? I thought it was just a bunch of models looking good on screen? Now River City is where I go for some intense drama.

And man I wish they still put Bassline stuff out on vinyl.

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

I really enjoy Randomer's patterns and how varied and specialized all of the percussion is but I never get quite enough bass out of him. Is there something I'm missing or does anyone have any recommendations along the same vein?

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

HatchetDown posted:

I really enjoy Randomer's patterns and how varied and specialized all of the percussion is but I never get quite enough bass out of him. Is there something I'm missing or does anyone have any recommendations along the same vein?

I don't know about a lack of bass. Maybe because it's quite percussive the bass is usually thumping there rather than on some big roller of a bassline. More quick jabs rather than an overwhelming crush. At least from the stuff I've heard from him.

Recommendations, to keep on the Randomer trail, I guess if you don't have it already pick up that 116 & Rising comp on Hessle. It's been a while since I've listened to it but I remember a lot of stuff there was quite varied percussion wise, kinda garagey and swingy and a bit different. Might be up your street. Maybe not all of it, but a lot. You'll know most of the artists anyway. But checking the back cover tracklist and getting the ol' backcatalogue shovel out and going for a bit of a dig is always fun.

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Why is the sun always bullying me?

Hey just wanted to let you guys know that I put up a preview of one of the tunes that will probably be on one of my upcoming EPs. Kinda going back to my roots a bit with this one...

http://soundcloud.com/djchumpchange/dont-feel-passion-forthcoming

CHUMP CHANGE - DONT FEEL PASSION

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

Edit: ^^^ Gorgeous track dude. That's most definitely wax worthy.

Oh absolutely, I loved 116 & Rising. I'm just the kind of merch whore that would have bought that shirt but I don't have the kind of money to justify having a t-shirt sent from the UK by itself. If there was a shirt with the Swamp 81 logo however, I might just have to adjust my standards.

I guess that's what I meant though, that rather than those kick jabs I enjoy some steady pressure, like on Puzzled.

Edit again: Spin has the first track from the Cypress/Rusko album up for download.

http://www.spin.com/articles/how-i-could-just-skrill-man-hear-cypress-hill-go-dubstep-rusko

HatchetDown fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jan 25, 2012

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Why is the sun always bullying me?

HatchetDown posted:

Edit: ^^^ Gorgeous track dude. That's most definitely wax worthy.

Awww thanks man. But I think the label I"m working with most of the time just does CDs and digital. I would love to have some of my tunes on wax though.

Speaking of wax, my shipment of records I bought while in Berlin at HARDWAX came in the mail undamaged :)

Here are some choice ones:

Wax - No. 30003 (a)
http://youtu.be/Dft1YqPcEwI

Roof Light - Powder
http://youtu.be/rQxp3W5Yt2g

Horsepower Productions - What We Do (Original Mix)
http://youtu.be/opLv9nqS4fM

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man

HatchetDown posted:

If there was a shirt with the Swamp 81 logo however, I might just have to adjust my standards.

um there was bro, and the hessle shirt was like 1/3 of the price. of course you could buy a 3024 shirt from surus

http://donutsthestore.co.uk/site/products/swamp81-x-donuts/

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

Well poo poo. I've almost bought that so many times, especially since 727 is the area code I grew up in. Don't make me decide between my music and my food budget, drat you! :argh:

Good news is that I have a friend who has a silk screen machine and I have a good jpeg of the logo.

HatchetDown fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jan 25, 2012

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

Maguro posted:

Awww thanks man. But I think the label I"m working with most of the time just does CDs and digital. I would love to have some of my tunes on wax though.

Horsepower Productions - What We Do (Original Mix)
http://youtu.be/opLv9nqS4fM

I've got to admit I liked this EP just as much for the really nice gold foiled limited edition numbering than the music (which was obviously awesome since it's Horsepower). I'm not really one for limited editions but bit of gold is always nice.

And just send the label a couple of bullets, etched onto them "vinyl bitches, now!". 'cause I'd buy it if it was on wax. Labels gotta get their head in the game and lay some money down. No pain no gain as Arnie said. Actually I mentioned in another thread I'm shocked that there is no pressing plant in like Mexico for you guys, pumping out 12 inches for a couple pesetas each.

Also does this mean I can blame Swamp81 for the crazy prices the 707/727 seem to be going for nowadays. I remember 5-6 years ago you could barely give them away.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

The new Point B album is very good. Feel like he's been making stuff forever but hasn't been really gathering much of a cult (he also releases more hip hop-type stuff as Planes, all of which is good)

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Where would Clicks & Whistles fit in? They get plenty of play on turntable and they just released the Can't Believe EP. The sound reminds me a lot of Rustie and Hudson Mohawke in a good way. Half of the duo posts here (he's also known as turbo p/trill rear end).

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Somewhere between Starkey and Distal

Xesis
Jul 11, 2002

air- posted:

Where would Clicks & Whistles fit in? They get plenty of play on turntable and they just released the Can't Believe EP. The sound reminds me a lot of Rustie and Hudson Mohawke in a good way. Half of the duo posts here (he's also known as turbo p/trill rear end).

We make all kinds of tracks really, some garage-y, some more dubstep ala hudmo/rustie, some based on trap music, some juke, and inbetween. We're both goons tho, actually met through threatis / these forums.

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004

air- posted:

If you like their stuff you'll probably dig MYRRYRS as well. He is going to be doing an EP on Body High early this year that I'm ecstatic about.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

There has got to be a place to buy that EP that isn't Beatport.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Hey New York people, Loefah's at Deep Space at Cielo on the 13th of February. Amazing sound and a good crowd, not pretentious either. Only complaint is the expensive drinks.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Hm, apparently Skream and Benga are touring the US this spring. While I don't particularly care if I see either of them DJ, Jackmaster and Plastician will be opening for them and I think I might drop $25 to see those two.

BUTTERWORBS
Oct 16, 2002

Xesis posted:

We make all kinds of tracks really, some garage-y, some more dubstep ala hudmo/rustie, some based on trap music, some juke, and inbetween. We're both goons tho, actually met through threatis / these forums.

Which one of you guys is petey? I talked to him about hihats in turntable once.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

Mike_V posted:

Hm, apparently Skream and Benga are touring the US this spring. While I don't particularly care if I see either of them DJ, Jackmaster and Plastician will be opening for them and I think I might drop $25 to see those two.

$25 (which is what? £15?) for all 4 is pretty drat good. And say what you will be I've always had a good time whenever I've seen Skream and Benga, nevermind Jackmaster and Plast. Of course last time I saw Skream was when Lemon was always the opener, so what do I really know.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

$25 (which is what? £15?) for all 4 is pretty drat good. And say what you will be I've always had a good time whenever I've seen Skream and Benga, nevermind Jackmaster and Plast. Of course last time I saw Skream was when Lemon was always the opener, so what do I really know.

Yeah. I'm really interested to see how this tour is received. I believe last time Benga toured the US, he was backed up with a lot of really bro-y dudes like Noisia and other poo poo. As far as I know, Skream + Benga play a lot of really bro stuff, but not on the same level. Also, I am interested to see how Jackmaster is received. Jakes is part of the bill, too, and I didn't realize he DJd.

Caped Cruiser
Sep 25, 2006
man, meet monkey

Xesis posted:

Sup dude, I just helped get your EP online. I work with AJ at seed in Williamsburg, we digitally distribute Party Like Us, Body High, and a bunch of other awesome labels. Not gonna lie, surprised to see you guys on here. Seeeing you on turntable was awesome enough heh.

Caped Cruiser fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jan 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007

Mike_V posted:

Yeah. I'm really interested to see how this tour is received. I believe last time Benga toured the US, he was backed up with a lot of really bro-y dudes like Noisia and other poo poo. As far as I know, Skream + Benga play a lot of really bro stuff, but not on the same level. Also, I am interested to see how Jackmaster is received. Jakes is part of the bill, too, and I didn't realize he DJd.

It was dope when I saw Skream and Benga last year, but the most interesting DJ that was there was the one that opened JUST before them, DJ Solo.

• Locked thread