Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

Speaking of finding old ska-punk CDs, I found a poo poo ton in a used store in northern VA two weeks ago: The Spitvalves - fine print at the bottom, MU330 - Chumps on Parade (the Dill Records release), Jeffries Fan Club - Nothing to Prove (which I already owned, but I think my sister will be happy to have a copy), and some bands I've heard of but never listened to: Supermarket Allstars - Anthology, Thumper - Hellfire and Damnation AND No One Left the Disco Alive.

And if you're looking for a Pilfers CD, I know Asian Man Records used to have them under their Distribution page, but that page isn't linked from the main page anymore, but you can find it by googling: http://www.asianmanrecords.com/distro.php

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
You could also just shoot them an email and they'll probably find a way to hook you up. I got this from the last blowout they had for about $20:

hedgecore
May 2, 2004
Hey, Bomb fans? Watch The Office tonight.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

hedgecore posted:

Hey, Bomb fans? Watch The Office tonight.

Thanks for the heads up. Cool stuff!

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I think I was looking too hard for a cameo and missed what actually happened. Was it a Bomb song in the background?

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

drunk asian neighbor posted:

I think I was looking too hard for a cameo and missed what actually happened. Was it a Bomb song in the background?

Yeah, Can't Complain was on in the background during one of the pool scenes.

Beowulf
Jun 16, 2003

The multiplying villainies of nature do swarm upon him...
Gettin in on this ska action. Definite favorite is RBF, saw them twice this year and they blew it out of the fuckin park both times. Their pits have generally been very friendly and open to skanking/etc assuming there's room. Saw LTJ and people were loving punching in the pit. It was a disaster. guess it didn't help that it was on a tiny ferry..

What's your guys' opinion on Streetlight? I saw them live twice with RBF and didn't stay until the end both times =/ Their music is so fast-paced, it's hard to dance to, and the crowds are obnoxious 16 year olds and really wasn't crazy about it. I mean, I love jamming to them in the car but seeing them live really didn't float my boat.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Beowulf posted:

What's your guys' opinion on Streetlight? I saw them live twice with RBF and didn't stay until the end both times =/ Their music is so fast-paced, it's hard to dance to, and the crowds are obnoxious 16 year olds and really wasn't crazy about it. I mean, I love jamming to them in the car but seeing them live really didn't float my boat.

I think Everything Goes Numb is one of my favorite albums ever :allears:

Beowulf
Jun 16, 2003

Volt Catfish posted:

I think Everything Goes Numb is one of my favorite albums ever :allears:

I mean I usually really like their music, but seeing them live was disappointing, and so was 99SoaR :(

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Beowulf posted:

I mean I usually really like their music, but seeing them live was disappointing, and so was 99SoaR :(

If you can get over not skanking in the pit with the kids they are loving fantastic live. Energetic and on-point with the music (which is pretty drat impressive, they have some really complex horn parts)

Beowulf
Jun 16, 2003

If you can get over not skanking in the pit with the kids they are loving fantastic live. Energetic and on-point with the music (which is pretty drat impressive, they have some really complex horn parts)

Yeah I suppose. I wish I had some more opportunities to see awesome ska around here, but I haven't seen anything really. I'm REALLY upset I missed Suicide Machines opening for H2O and the Descendants back in October. Stupid NYC traffic :(

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Beowulf posted:

Yeah I suppose. I wish I had some more opportunities to see awesome ska around here, but I haven't seen anything really. I'm REALLY upset I missed Suicide Machines opening for H2O and the Descendants back in October. Stupid NYC traffic :(

Aww the Suicide Machines. They were my very first show!
H2O played with the Bosstones this year. Would really love to see the Descendants though.

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS

I saw them when they were touring with RBF, and that was my biggest takeaway from Streetlight's set. RBF was a lot of fun, but Streetlight was so tight with their music that it just impressed me that they could play it live like that. As a musician, I really enjoyed Streetlight live.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
RBF have only written one good song since Cheer Up, but they're still great live. Streetlight are even better. Less Than Jake are 2nd best. BTMI! are the best.

This is the order of ska.

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER
BTMI has the power to make technical metal fans get really into them live, I have done this two times and it owns

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

Only my musician friends seem to appreciate Streetlight. Not that they are specifically for musicians, but they just have these super complex lines that my friends get into.

The kids might suck but hearing the horns live has been the best concert experiences of my life.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
Yeah, a few of my friends who really complain whenever I play anything ska actually had to admit that they are really tight and well composed.

Beowulf
Jun 16, 2003

Pandora radio just graced me with the awesomeness of the Hippos. Gotta love it!

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Beowulf posted:

Pandora radio just graced me with the awesomeness of the Hippos. Gotta love it!

One of my all time favorite songs is a Hippos track that technically doesn't exist.

"My Dear" was released as a demo around the time they started writing their third album, but wasn't included on the on the version released years after they broke up.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

So my suspicions were confirmed. ASOB is in fact playing a show together.

Tickets will go on sale here on the 6th.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Miscellaneous_T posted:

So my suspicions were confirmed. ASOB is in fact playing a show together.

Tickets will go on sale here on the 6th.

I'm so loving going to this.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

There is also this here facebook event for the show

pendulous thread
Aug 14, 2011

So this random ska/reggae/funk/etc band added me on Twitter and I checked them out. Really liking them so far.

Whiskey Avengers

As for what I was saying before about The Urge, looks like they've got a show scheduled for April 13th:

http://www.thebluenote.com/event/95807/

Too bad I'm nowhere near MO =(

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

One of my all time favorite songs is a Hippos track that technically doesn't exist.

"My Dear" was released as a demo around the time they started writing their third album, but wasn't included on the on the version released years after they broke up.

Thanks for reminding me to dig those demos out of the recesses of my hard drive and listen to them. They really were great. I remember hearing the final album and being really disappointed that the versions of the other two songs were so different from the demos.

And I went to the last "last" ASOB show. It was a great loving time, but I already have plans for Memorial Day. Also, I'm seriously considering going to Pouzza Fest the weekend before, and traveling for concerts two weekends in a row might be a bit silly. What I'm really hoping for, with the vinyl re-releases from Asbestos Records, is an Edna's Goldfish reunion.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

Do people here care about Guns of Navarrone, or is that not a thing?

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WaffleZombie posted:

Thanks for reminding me to dig those demos out of the recesses of my hard drive and listen to them. They really were great. I remember hearing the final album and being really disappointed that the versions of the other two songs were so different from the demos.

I lost some of those demos due to HDD degradation. Any chance you could PM me?

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
ASOB re-union, FIF getting back together, all we need is a new BOTAR album and an RxB re-union show where they decided to play old songs and this would be the four horsemen of the skapocalypse

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That or The Specials playing more than a few dates in the U.S.

I'm still kinda of bummed that the Bad Manners tour undersold and they canceled their Columbus date.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Obama Yo Mama posted:

ASOB re-union, FIF getting back together, all we need is a new BOTAR album and an RxB re-union show where they decided to play old songs and this would be the four horsemen of the skapocalypse

Nine more hours till ASoB tickets go on sale.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
GUESS WHO HAS TWO THUMBS AND JUST BOUGHT THREE TICKETS TO ASOB

DICKEYE

Boxing Snatcher
Jul 4, 2011

I have been looking for some great Beef Jerky since my local convenience store changed owners.
I snatched up some tickets too. Can't loving wait. Plus I get to drag some of my friends to the show against their will.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

I bought three tickets as well! I have to drive from Ohio to see this show but it will be so worth it.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Anyone here in the NYC area mind helping me figure out the easiest way to get from Albany to this show without driving in goddamn Brooklyn? I was thinking of getting a train, but Albany-Penn Station is 40 bucks each way, and I dno't know if there's anything closer.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat

Dickeye posted:

Anyone here in the NYC area mind helping me figure out the easiest way to get from Albany to this show without driving in goddamn Brooklyn? I was thinking of getting a train, but Albany-Penn Station is 40 bucks each way, and I dno't know if there's anything closer.

Megabus makes the trip, I'd give them a shot. You can't reserve this far in advance, though.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

Miscellaneous_T posted:

I bought three tickets as well! I have to drive from Ohio to see this show but it will be so worth it.

fffffffffff

Going to that show is so loving tempting, but driving solo from Indiana when I am broke as hell and would have class at 7:30 am the next day...

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat

Backno posted:

fffffffffff

Going to that show is so loving tempting, but driving solo from Indiana when I am broke as hell and would have class at 7:30 am the next day...

makes it even more tempting?

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot
But it could be the last bell you will ever hear :v:

Edit: Obligatory I got tickets and am going post

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

lessthankyle posted:

Megabus makes the trip, I'd give them a shot. You can't reserve this far in advance, though.

Megabus would mean I'd be sitting outside Penn Station till 7 AM Monday.

I got it figured out: We're gonna drive into Jersey and pick up a PATH train to 14th St and take the L to near the venue from there.

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS
http://dyingscene.com/news/toh-kay-preparing-new-record-in-addition-to-upcoming-streetlight-manifesto-release/

New Toh Kay and new Streetlight this year. I wouldn't hold my breath, but I'm really looking forward to any new Streetlight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seventeen
Jan 2, 2005

Do not try and score on the powerplay. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth.

What truth?

There is no powerplay.

ObsidianBeast posted:

http://dyingscene.com/news/toh-kay-preparing-new-record-in-addition-to-upcoming-streetlight-manifesto-release/

New Toh Kay and new Streetlight this year. I wouldn't hold my breath, but I'm really looking forward to any new Streetlight.

It'll be a remastered version of Smiles for Macavity that comes with a bonus cd of his most recent versions of Dear Sergio and Supernothing.

Please, please, please be new material