Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Prison Warden posted:

Eganin is a different character.

Trust me, when I got to that charecter in the book, my mind was blown. In fact, I think thats what made me use the glossary in the back of the books to learn to pronounce them properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
The audiobook narrator pronounces all the names correctly and after listening to 30+ hours of audiobook you won't forget the correct way to pronounce every name.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Prison Warden posted:

And now it's time for!

Wheel of Time cliché corner!

Books Finished: 1
Braids Tugged: 1
Blood and Ashes!: 35
Woolhead: 6

Not a lot of Nynaeve perspectives in this one. Though mat still makes a good showing. I'm gonna try and keep a running tally as we go on, if anyone can think of anything else to add to the list, as long as it doesn't get too difficult to keep track of.

Once we get there, the amount of times that Perrin tries to keep Faile out of danger

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
The amount of times Elayne blames others for her mistakes.

AreYouStillThere
Jan 14, 2010

Well you're just going to have to get over that.

Prison Warden posted:

And now it's time for!

This is awesome! This works so well with having the ebook version too, you can search for the phrases. Might go play with that now actually.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Lascivious Sloth posted:

The amount of times Elayne blames others for her mistakes.

Now you are just being obtuse :colbert:

Recursive Expanse
May 4, 2011
will adding skirts adjusted and irritated sniffs break thread tables?

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Prison Warden posted:

And now it's time for!

Not a lot of Nynaeve perspectives in this one. Though mat still makes a good showing. I'm gonna try and keep a running tally as we go on, if anyone can think of anything else to add to the list, as long as it doesn't get too difficult to keep track of.

This is good. Can I put it the OP

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Recursive Expanse posted:

will adding skirts adjusted and irritated sniffs break thread tables?

It's his call, but I'm pretty sure that gets broken within the first half of book 2.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
Don't forget knuckled foreheads...

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!
And smoothed dresses, how has nobody remembered smoothing dresses?

Oh, and every time somebody is uncomfortable dressing a certain way.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Any time Mat speaks, or is inferred to speak, in the Old tongue.

And when we get there any time Mat gets a memory as a general. Also, any time one of the main three say that 'their vision swirls in colour' when thinking about the other two.

Also, whenever one of the main three complains about the other two being good with girls.

berenzen fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Jan 26, 2012

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Prison Warden posted:

And now it's time for!

I'm gonna try and keep a running tally as we go on, if anyone can think of anything else to add to the list, as long as it doesn't get too difficult to keep track of.

Most of the other ones people have suggested are minor and can be ignored, but you really can't miss out women folding their arms under their breasts.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Sniffs. Eyebrows raised. Skirts adjusted.

No seriously, this is everywhere. I guess you could go overboard with those, but I'm a bit morbidly curious to see just what the final tally is.

Wheel of Time girls are very idiosyncratic. As hard as it may be sometimes, try not to think of them all being the exact same character. I mean, there's at least one of them that isn't!

Good key for pronouncing Egwene: Remember that her full name is basically Guinevere with a couple extra letters. That's entirely intentional, as are almost all of the other name references. When they get to the bits about the Heroes of the Horn, they have a drat field day with this.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Frankly I can't believe we've made it 5 pages deep and nobody has posted this yet.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
In the chapter in the Ways, it's mentioned how walking through there was like walking on a treadmill. I think it might be the only time modern technology is mentioned in the series, at least that I noticed.

Nothing important really, just something that stood out to me for some reason.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
The thing that is irritating me about the Sanderson books is how he seems to be determined to namedrop every goddamn character from the early books. I haven't read about this character for 10 years, don't just shove him back in my face.

On the other hand, it doesn't annoy me enough to actually go back and read them all again so following this thread is great. Please keep up the foreshadowing stuff and what Min's visions all ultimately mean.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
Add to the OP if you want, I think that'd be cool.

Mazed posted:

Sniffs. Eyebrows raised. Skirts adjusted.

No seriously, this is everywhere. I guess you could go overboard with those, but I'm a bit morbidly curious to see just what the final tally is.

Wheel of Time girls are very idiosyncratic. As hard as it may be sometimes, try not to think of them all being the exact same character. I mean, there's at least one of them that isn't!

Hey, both Min and Birgitte are very unique! And I like Nynaeve way better than Egwene or Faile

Sniffs, Eyebrows raised, Arms Under Breasts and Skirts adjusted are good ones, but I THINK those probably show up in the first book too... if anyone has the eBook and wants to Ctrl+F through it I'd appreciate it, since I'd hate the final tally to miss out book 1.

There were three other ideas I had, but they don't show up 'till later books. I was gonna count Every time the colours swirl, every time Mat says "It's time to toss the dice" and every time Rand bemoans all the women he's killed, though I'm still undecided on that last one. I considered tallying every time Faile is an insufferable bitch-queen, but I think that would definitely break the tables.

I can add Mat speaking the old tongue no problem, because I distinctly remember it only happens twice in EoTW, so I think I'll add that in.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
I thought there was a drinking game board where you win if you cross off 4 in a row, but looking for it I found this: http://wot.wikia.com/wiki/Drinking_game

quote:

Events Requiring One DrinkEdit

The Wheel of Time is mentioned or alluded to (apart from the first paragraph of chapter 1).
Rand wishes he could deal with women as well as Mat, or even Perrin.
Mat wishes he could deal with women as well as Rand, or even Perrin.
Perrin wishes he could deal with women as well as Mat, or even Rand.
Nynaeve tugs her braid.
A female character sniffs.
A female character folds her arms beneath her breasts.
A female character smooths her skirts.
A man is caught in his smallclothes.
A woman threatens to box a man’s ears.
Min has a vision, but doesn’t understand it. (Note: If Min has several visions all at once relating to a group of people gathered together, that only counts as one.)
Perrin or Egwene has a prophetic dream.
Mat wins money by gambling.
An Aiel complains about how weak wetlanders are.

Lascivious Sloth fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jan 26, 2012

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Lascivious Sloth posted:

I thought there was a drinking game board where you win if you cross off 4 in a row, but looking for it I found this: http://wot.wikia.com/wiki/Drinking_game

Just in case, you may want to spoil out one of those names (the one with the sex tips god drat isn't she just the best :D)

Recursive Expanse
May 4, 2011

berenzen posted:

Any time Mat speaks, or is inferred to speak, in the Old tongue.

And when we get there any time Mat gets a memory as a general.

As an addendum to this, everytime Mat remembers dying. But they might almost be the same tally.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

cryptoclastic posted:

In the chapter in the Ways, it's mentioned how walking through there was like walking on a treadmill. I think it might be the only time modern technology is mentioned in the series, at least that I noticed.

Nothing important really, just something that stood out to me for some reason.

The item to which you refer is not modern. The Greeks and Romans had them.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Lascivious Sloth posted:

Anyone who plays this will die of alcohol poisoning.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Jedit posted:

The item to which you refer is not modern. The Greeks and Romans had them.
I think they refer to one within the text itself, too. If I remember right it was in the kitchens of [a famous city], turned by a turnspit dog. If you think about the name its original usage makes sense: "tread" for walk, "mill" for grinding food or at least a general name for turning.

One additional irony: our modern usage of the treadmill has come because rather than needing power to grind food to make it suitable for consumption, we have a surplus of calories and need to expend energy to burn off the excess! :haw:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

DarkHorse posted:

One additional irony: our modern usage of the treadmill has come because rather than needing power to grind food to make it suitable for consumption, we have a surplus of calories and need to expend energy to burn off the excess! :haw:

Even more ironic: the previous use of treadmills before they were exercise machines was as punishment for criminals. People are actually paying $$$ to enjoy the luxurious amenities of a Victorian prison!

AreYouStillThere
Jan 14, 2010

Well you're just going to have to get over that.
God, the poo poo these characters go through in the first book. I mean c'mon, any normal person going through this much poo poo would be hosed for life and have to go through years of therapy. Especially the Ways, holy crap were they way more terrifying than I remember.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Yeah, this is the first time I've reread the first book in years (I had bought it on the Sony Book reader and then later switched to kindle and bought the rest there), and it's really like "gently caress all this poo poo happened!" It's such a good book and easy to see why it caught my attention.

Unfortunately, I've been opening a restaurant this week and working stupid rear end long hours, so I may not be able to finish EotW by Monday, but we shall march on.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
Well, there are other factors too but One of the characters goes completely loving insane, which I'm convinced is at least partially to do with all the pressures and stuff on him in this book onwards. I mean, Perrin and Mat and such were always kinda interested in leaving the Two Rivers, and Mat's outright said in later books he couldn't go back, but Rand has a clear Just Wants To Raise Sheep attitude right from the get go.

Just Winternight even is pretty hosed up, for a random schlub farmer. The main thing that's always confused me about the Ways though is, why weren't the ways already a thing in the Age of Legends? I mean, I guess maybe they just Travelled everywhere, but not everyone was an Aes Sedai. Or maybe they had a better system of instantaneous teleporters or something that got destroyed in the War of Power and couldn't be duplicated using only one half of the True Source.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Prison Warden posted:

Well, there are other factors too but One of the characters goes completely loving insane, which I'm convinced is at least partially to do with all the pressures and stuff on him in this book onwards. I mean, Perrin and Mat and such were always kinda interested in leaving the Two Rivers, and Mat's outright said in later books he couldn't go back, but Rand has a clear Just Wants To Raise Sheep attitude right from the get go.

Just Winternight even is pretty hosed up, for a random schlub farmer. The main thing that's always confused me about the Ways though is, why weren't the ways already a thing in the Age of Legends? I mean, I guess maybe they just Travelled everywhere, but not everyone was an Aes Sedai. Or maybe they had a better system of instantaneous teleporters or something that got destroyed in the War of Power and couldn't be duplicated using only one half of the True Source.

In the Age of Legends, they had sho-wings(?)/airplanes for general everyday travel. For important tasks, I assumed they had channelers whose job it was was to open traveling door thingies.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

omnibobb posted:

In the Age of Legends, they had sho-wings(?)/airplanes for general everyday travel. For important tasks, I assumed they had channelers whose job it was was to open traveling door thingies.

Yeah... I dunno I just assumed that in a world where instant portal-wise teleportation is around, there would be some sort of mass transit system utilising it BEFORE the world went to hell in a handbasket

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Prison Warden posted:

Yeah... I dunno I just assumed that in a world where instant portal-wise teleportation is around, there would be some sort of mass transit system utilising it BEFORE the world went to hell in a handbasket

Oh I agree. It reads like "Hey thanks for helping us here's this SUPER RAD COOL THING!" Well, if it's super rad cool why didn't we have it before, hrmm?

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
gateway question:I never understood how the gateways worked in the aes sedai camp and the black tower. They have a set spot to gate into and a set spot to gate from. The gating from is easy enough to use, but the gate to spot sounds dangerous. If 1 aes sedai gates into the correct spot, and as they are walking out of the gate another aes sedai gates in a few feet in front, it would slice the aes sedai in half.

Lascivious Sloth fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Jan 28, 2012

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Prison Warden posted:

Probably because it was unreliable, when you have aeroplanes that can take you anywhere in less than a day, why would you want a system of portals that still takes days to walk somewhere. Once the world went FUBAR, the male Aes Sedai realized that planes, trains and automobiles were out, so they developed a non-tech based solution for quicker travel for the Ogier.

Lascivious Sloth posted:

I never understood how the gateways worked in the aes sedai camp and the black tower. They have a set spot to gate into and a set spot to gate from. The gating from is easy enough to use, but the gate to spot sounds dangerous. If 1 aes sedai gates into the correct spot, and as they are walking out of the gate another aes sedai gates in a few feet in front, it would slice the aes sedai in half.

Spoiler that man, we're still at least 4 books away before that can be discussed openly.

berenzen fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jan 28, 2012

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

berenzen posted:

Probably because it was unreliable, when you have aeroplanes that can take you anywhere in less than a day, why would you want a system of portals that still takes days to walk somewhere. Once the world went FUBAR, the male Aes Sedai realized that planes, trains and automobiles were out, so they developed a non-tech based solution for quicker travel for the Ogier.

Oh, I certainly understand why they didn't have the Ways, I was referring more to some kind of ter'angreal that links two places via gateway permanently, or something like that. Or even an archway that is capable of creating a gateway such as that on command, in a kind of "Portal Station", linking major cities together to some kind of transport hub and such. I mean, we know they can create ter'angreals that link certain places by portals, you would think doing so to somewhere else in the real world would be easier than another plane of reality.

I don't think they would just say "lets not bother with a better method when we have Concorde", that's not really how transport works. It'd be like people saying "why invent the train when a horse can get you there in time? And we know some kind of teleportation is in this book even in Eye of the World, since Moirane alludes to Travelling, Ishamael teleports into and away from lews Therin's house in the prologue, and Rand teleports all over the shop when in his Eye of The World powertrip / Learning to Channel drunken fever dream.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Prison Warden posted:

I don't think they would just say "lets not bother with a better method when we have Concorde", that's not really how transport works. It'd be like people saying "why invent the train when a horse can get you there in time? And we know some kind of teleportation is in this book even in Eye of the World, since Moirane alludes to Travelling, Ishamael teleports into and away from lews Therin's house in the prologue, and Rand teleports all over the shop when in his Eye of The World powertrip / Learning to Channel drunken fever dream.

We're still not sure on how original ter'angreal were made. Sure, Elayne can copy them, but that's not the same as developing new ones. It's possible that such a ter'angreal could be impossible to create without channelling. And although they're called Servants of All, I'm pretty sure nobody with Power wants to sit around in front of an arch to let people through a gate.

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

Prison Warden posted:

I may be wrong, but I think it's explained away later that The Ways are a simple, reliable, non-channeling method of getting from point A to point B relatively quickly. Beyond that, those who could channel used various methods of either instantaneous or near-instantaneous travel. An Aes Sedai could send multiple people great distances by either Skimming or Traveling, but each was actually devised after experimenting with other forms of travel. Dreamers could enter Tel'aran'rhiod, various channelers learned to travel from place to place by entering bodily into Tel'aran'rhiod while awake (yet found doing so to be unsafe), somehow a variety of worlds were discovered resulting in the Portal Stones, Skimming was devised as a way to travel through a nether-area in greater time than on foot, and Traveling was finally discovered as the quickest way to go. The Ways were likely tethered Skimming paths operated by a simple ter-angreal that opened and closed them, with Ogier-built pathways that serve the same function as a Skimming platform. In other words, Traveling probably was something that was worked up to via trial and error, and the various less-impressive methods were abandoned as each new method was developed. The Ways were merely a method of traveling without channeling, so male Aes Sedai could go great distances without having to channel out of fear of doing so corrupting them more quickly. Remember that most (if not all) of The Way entrances were located just outside of Ogier Stedding sanctuaries which naturally negate access to the True Source...

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

ReverendLondo posted:

I may be wrong, but I think it's explained away later that The Ways are a simple, reliable, non-channeling method of getting from point A to point B relatively quickly. Beyond that, those who could channel used various methods of either instantaneous or near-instantaneous travel. An Aes Sedai could send multiple people great distances by either Skimming or Traveling, but each was actually devised after experimenting with other forms of travel. Dreamers could enter Tel'aran'rhiod, various channelers learned to travel from place to place by entering bodily into Tel'aran'rhiod while awake (yet found doing so to be unsafe), somehow a variety of worlds were discovered resulting in the Portal Stones, Skimming was devised as a way to travel through a nether-area in greater time than on foot, and Traveling was finally discovered as the quickest way to go. The Ways were likely tethered Skimming paths operated by a simple ter-angreal that opened and closed them, with Ogier-built pathways that serve the same function as a Skimming platform. In other words, Traveling probably was something that was worked up to via trial and error, and the various less-impressive methods were abandoned as each new method was developed. The Ways were merely a method of traveling without channeling, so male Aes Sedai could go great distances without having to channel out of fear of doing so corrupting them more quickly. Remember that most (if not all) of The Way entrances were located just outside of Ogier Stedding sanctuaries which naturally negate access to the True Source...

The Ways were developed after the male Aes Sedai started to go insane, they never used them as a method of transportation. While they could be skimming paths, Lanfear says in book 2 that the Ways drew on the inspiration of the Portal Stone worlds, rather than Skimming/Travelling. Yes, all Waygates are located outside Steddings or in the Groves, this is because a Ter'angreal is used to grow them, which draws on power, so would be useless inside a stedding.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Okay, so I just finished Eye of the World, and there are some things I'm unclear about. I've read the series before, but I've never understood some things about the fight at the end with Aginor/Ba'alzamon.

Firstly, I read a chapter summary and apparently Aginor is trying to draw the power from the Eye of the World. I never really caught this. Once I know that's actually what's going on, I'm assuming that's what the white lines are leading from his body, and that Rand latches onto himself.

Second, the whole bit with Tarwin's Gap. I've never been completely clear on this. Rand is obviously there, as Agelmar says he saw a man there doing things that no man should be doing. So Rand traveled away from Aginor to that area, laid some waste, and came back?

Next, a voice tells Rand to go somewhere. Is this the first time Lews Therin is yelling at him? Anyway, Rand goes and finds Ba'alzamon. Where is this? It's the area from their dreams, but is it actually back on the hilltop, and just an illusion? Is it an actual place? Did he enter the World of Dreams?

Lastly, I THINK Aginor is dead at this point, set aflame from pulling too much power. So, what I never understood is, who is this Ba'alzamon? In one dream he leads you to believe that it is Ishamael, but the other characters refer to Ba'alzamon as if it's the name of the Dark One. So what's going on there? This is the single most confusing part of the whole series to me, honestly. I still have never understood who dies there.

It's been too long since I originally read this book, but this one chapter still seems to have confused me just as much as the first time I read it.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

cryptoclastic posted:

Questions, etc.

I'll do my best, others might want to elaborate further.

1. Probably. I always assumed that the bad guys wanted to use the eye because they knew that the Horn and such was trapped there and wanted it.

2. Yes.

3. Ahh the infamous ALL CAPS VOICE from book 1. Let me copy/paste it here in full so we can examine it.

"The Light blind you, Ba'alzamon! This has to end!"

IT IS NOT HERE.

It was not Rand's thought, making his skull vibrate.

I WILL TAKE NO PART. ONLY THE CHOSEN ONE CAN DO WHAT MUST BE DONE, IF HE WILL.

"Where?" He did not want to say it, but he could not stop himself. "Where?"
The haze surrounding him parted, leaving a dome of clear clean air ten spans high, walled by billowing smoke and dust. Steps rose before him, each standing alone and unsupported, stretching up into the murk that obscured the sun.

NOT HERE.

Most of the WOT fansites (dragonmount and theorlyand) seem to believe that this is the Creator speaking directly to Rand. In other words, the Creator is not allowed to directly influence Man and the world for some such reasons only he knows, but he can work through his champion.

BOOK 6 SPOILERS AHEAD IN RELATION TO QUESTION 3
This all caps voice never shows up again untill book 6. Here, it is clearly the Dark One talking to Demandred as they are in the pit at Shayol Ghul. It would make sense that if the Dark One can talk to his minions, that the Creator can talk to his. Honestly, nobody knows if this voice in book 1 is really the creator or not, but I have feeling that we will find out when the last book is released this fall. Maybey.

4. Mega spoilers from future books.Ba'alzomon is definately Ishamael. Of all the forsaken that where bound with the Dark One, he is the only one who is left to manipulate the world during the 3000 or so years. He is directly responsible for Artur Hawkwing conquering the world, the Trolloc wars, and the Seanchan.

Ishmael is the Dark One's main champion, just like Lews Therin/Rand is the Creator's champion. They have been fighting each other throughout all the ages though they have gone by different names. At the end of book 3, Rand will kill Ba'alzamon/Ishameal, but the Dark One will re-incarnate him as Moridin. In fact most of the Forsaken that get killed are re-incarnated unless they die by Balefire. (Or majorily piss off the Dark One like Asmodeon does.)

Overall, the ending scenes from this book have always been sort of confusing and wonky for me. I understand what takes place, but I just don't think it was written that well. I chalk it up to RJ still learning how to write good epic fantasy at this point. He knew what he wants to say, it just comes out a little jumbled for me. I'm reminded of how confusing the flashback within a flashback section was with Rand and Matt, I just think it could have been done a little better. Book 2 has a much better written climax that flows a lot easier in my mind, I think he really starts to settle in as a writer at that point. The book 3 ending is really well done and a massive improvement over the first book.

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jan 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
I thought Artur did it mostly by himself, but his hatred of the Aes Sedai and his refusal to seek Healing from one when he was dying was engineered by Ishamael.

• Locked thread