Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Danzou posted:

I love the joke about it having "Exactly the same scratches. Exactly as I remembered it" when the panel depicts the usual MSpaint-level dongles.

I hope we get through the rest of this side arc before the pace slows back down, because these last few strips have been really great.

chances are this is the end of the chapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I'm willing to bet that the comic's going to end on Strip 1000, or right around there. What with Rich mentioning that the halfway point is "firmly in the horizon", with Belkar's seven weeks quickly running short, and with the plot arches for every major character bearing down all at once.

Either the strip will end right around 1,000 or there will be one last major twist near there (perhaps involving what's inside the rift), and then we'll have the last-last book after.

How many pages ARE left in this book, anyways?

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot

HKR posted:

chances are this is the end of the chapter.
Possibly, but I'm hoping for a little denoument between Xykon and Redcloak, plus maybe finding out what Xykon was up to while he was gone.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I can't see a halfway decent ending in time for #1000. There's 169 strips left, and about 169 strips ago was Roy's resurrection - i.e. in that period we've had the adventures in the Empire of Blood and little else.

Finishing the showdown at Girard's Gate, and maybe a few sidetracks (adventures of O-Chul and Sea Paladin, if I can hope!) seems like a more realistic target for the turn of the 'millennium'. How long will be left afterwards depends entirely on how many plot points get resolved there.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Danzou posted:

I love the joke about it having "Exactly the same scratches. Exactly as I remembered it" when the panel depicts the usual MSpaint-level dongles.

I can't help but wonder if the fact that the new one seems to be intact, while the old one had part of the necklace snapped off, is going to be a problem when he tries to pass this one off as the original.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Redcloak's a master of impassive calm. He wants Jirix alive, but he's not panicking or anything at the sight of Xykon choking him out or anything. Just knows he needs to present Xykon with what he wants in his own time and the problem will resolve itself.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Sefer posted:

I can't help but wonder if the fact that the new one seems to be intact, while the old one had part of the necklace snapped off, is going to be a problem when he tries to pass this one off as the original.

While it's as simple as saying "I had one of our craftsmen fix the chain before I brought it down", I can't help but think you might be on to something.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Niton posted:

While it's as simple as saying "I had one of our craftsmen fix the chain before I brought it down", I can't help but think you might be on to something.

Zetetica posted:

If he were to mess anything up, it would probably be because of the beating and explosive runes the phylactery took after Redcloak had already teleported away.
"Well bring him here, he did it wrong."

"He what."

And then Redcloak realizes that the craftsman had no way to know how the band was supposed to close he didn't know about the Explosive Runes damage, and then poo poo goes tits-up.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jan 26, 2012

Zetetica
Jan 22, 2010

Colon V posted:

"He what."

And then Redcloak realizes that the craftsman had no way to know how the band was supposed to close, and that he's vaporized him, and then poo poo goes tits-up.

If he were to mess anything up, it would probably be because of the beating and explosive runes the phylactery took after Redcloak had already teleported away.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Colon V posted:

"He what."

And then Redcloak realizes that the craftsman had no way to know how the band was supposed to close, and that he's vaporized him, and then poo poo goes tits-up.

except that it was redcloak who always wore the holy symbol and knows it's every detail.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Colon V posted:

And then Redcloak realizes that the craftsman had no way to know how the band was supposed to close he didn't know about the Explosive Runes damage, and then poo poo goes tits-up.

I doubt there was any damage, with the number of protective spells on the amulet. The scratches were probably from before the amulet was made into a phylactery.

Besides, it's not like Xykon got a good look at it after the Explosive Runes had a go at it.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Wait a minute

"Red eye"?

That's a new one

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

MikeJF posted:

I doubt there was any damage, with the number of protective spells on the amulet. The scratches were probably from before the amulet was made into a phylactery.

Besides, it's not like Xykon got a good look at it after the Explosive Runes had a go at it.

Seems to me these two panels can be read just as easily as "I was so upset I can barely remember those instants" or "I was so upset, those instants are burned in my mind". So I think Rich is in the enviable position where the result will make sense regardless of whether he has Xykon notice the chain or not.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Alchenar posted:

Wait a minute

"Red eye"?

That's a new one

He almost called him redcloak but changed it at the last second. I swear are people usually this inattentive? Are you the same guy who thought Redcloaks spell was interrupted by the crash in the following panel?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Affi posted:

He almost called him redcloak but changed it at the last second. I swear are people usually this inattentive? Are you the same guy who thought Redcloaks spell was interrupted by the crash in the following panel?

That doesn't seem obvious at all.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Affi posted:

Nah. If that were the case, there'd be a space after the -.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Wili posted:

I have to say that it is pretty convenient the way all the goblins that knew of Redcloack's incredibly risky plan keep getting killed by other people just as they outlive their usefulness.
Redcloak's pretty clearly at a point where he would do it himself without a moment's hesitation. If that goblin craftsman had still been alive I'm sure Redcloak would have delivered the exact same speech and the exact same Disintegrate.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

You guys are probably over-thinking this whole chain thing. It's a holy symbol, Redcloak wears it around his neck. Of course he'd get it repaired. In fact, the chain being breakable suggests it's separate from the phylactery, like a lot of necklaces. I doubt the chain is supposed to be significant beyond "it lets Redcloak wear the thing around his neck."

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Pretty sure the main reason the chain's broken is that it allows readers to see clearly which pendant Redcloak hides.

... not that it isn't perfectly logical which one he would hide, but, y'know, GiantITP forums.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
It may or may not even be broken, it may just have a clasp that's unclasped but we can't see that level of detail because Order of the Stick.

Seriously overthinking this.

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot
Wait, what IS that necklace, anyway? Have we seen it mentioned before?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Cabbit posted:

His soul isn't in there now. His soul retreats there when his undead body is destroyed, then proceeds to regenerate a new one for his soul to inhabit.

So it's like a portable Zero Room? :)

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Danzou posted:

It's...Redcloak's holy symbol, which doubles as Xykon's phylactery. The entire reason anyone cares about it. :stare:

Or rather, it's a replica Redcloak is planning to hand off while he keeps the REAL phylactery on his person for later leverage.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Danzou posted:

What gate?

:mitdsay:

The amulet has been adressed as a plot point like 5 times now.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Captain Oblivious posted:

It's...Redcloak's holy symbol, which doubles as Xykon's phylactery.

His what?

e: sorry, His what?

edit no 2: my, it was awfully convenient that Redcloak lost an eye and had to wear an eyepatch right when his next sequence of strips was going to be mainly him alone with a number of identically drawn goblins.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jan 26, 2012

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Alchenar posted:

edit no 2: my, it was awfully convenient that Redcloak lost an eye and had to wear an eyepatch right when his next sequence of strips was going to be mainly him alone with a number of identically drawn goblins.
:goonsay:

You mean the hobgoblins? Who are orange?

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jan 26, 2012

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Colon V posted:

:goonsay:

You mean the hobgoblins? Who are orange?

Yes this will matter loads in the black and white printed comic.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
The books are color.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
But I watch the comic on a monochrome display! Hobgoblins? WTF is going on?? (Actually in b/w the hobos have much lighter skin than gobbos, so it'd work.)

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

I'm... uh... orange-green colorblind? Yeah. I have no idea what's going on at all.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Alchenar posted:

my, it was awfully convenient that Redcloak lost an eye and had to wear an eyepatch right when his next sequence of strips was going to be mainly him alone with a number of identically drawn goblins.
If only he had some signature piece of clothing that he always wore so you'd always know which goblin was him.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

FMguru posted:

If only he had some signature piece of clothing that he always wore so you'd always know which goblin was him.
You might even name him after it or something.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
Day 5 and we're past $180k. If this keeps up, the entire series will probably be back in print.

Tinyn
Jan 10, 2003

He's raised so much with this Kickstaters, and is using the Kickstarter Rewards as a pre-order system so heavily, its going to almost have been easier if he just announced every book was available for pre-order on his normal store, without exact shipping dates. (as in, 1000 pre-orders = a print run, etc)

Kinda funny. In a week its going to slow down, but he still will have to wait a month do any of this stuff.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Going to throw in 10 bux so that I get the PDF, i'd give him more but i'm planning on buying every book he makes and I think that is enough.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Affi posted:

Going to throw in 10 bux so that I get the PDF, i'd give him more but i'm planning on buying every book he makes and I think that is enough.

Already threw in $10 for the opposite reason...I already HAVE all the books.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
I've put myself down for the print-only books: Start of Darkness, On the Origin of PCs and ... the other one. I've not been able to find them over here in the UK otherwise, so I'm pretty pleased by this whole thing.

Problem is that they're for my girlfriend's birthday, but I'm not sure I'll be able to keep them a surprise if he happens to send out the PDFs of all the comics before the middle of June.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

I kind of want to get all the books but despite the explanation of the costs I still balk at the prices, telling myself that the archive on the website itself is unlikely to vanish.

Do the main strip compilations have much in the way of new material in them that could be considered essential reading?

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
They have bonus strips and author commentary, but nothing that's essential for understanding the plot.

I'm going to get the War n XPs preorder. I enjoy reading authors insights and the bonus strips never detract from the strip. Plus I can still read OOTS in the event of a nuclear holocaust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Outside of the fact that buying the books is a nice way to support the whole project, I have to agree that there's nothing mission critical in the books. But the bonus strips are often fun, adding details to characters who don't get much love in the main strip or patching over holes in the narrative that Rich discovered after the strips went up the first time.

For instance, he adds a several page sequence where Haley, Belkar, and the Greysky Thieves' Guild break into the golem-maker's castle in Don't Split the Party. That's pretty fun on its own, especially the Haley-Crystal bits. But it's equally interesting to read the author's notes that explain a lot of why he does what he does. The Greysky Heist sequence, for example, was included because of fan reaction to Haley killing Crystal as "murder", which wasn't how he wanted it to feel. So he added a sequence in the book where Crystal, under Bozzak's orders, is trying to bump Haley off in a way that won't make Belkar suspicious because while they're perfectly willing to betray and murder Haley, they're terrified of Belkar. Under that context, then, Haley ambushing Crystal is more about self-defense than it is pre-meditated murder.

And the physical books are full of material like that. Both in the new strips but especially in the author's notes, where Rich talks quite frankly about the decisions he made, which ones worked and which one didn't, and his best guesses as to why.

So yeah, there's nothing you need to have, but reading in book form is a more complete experience, especially if you're interested in the whys and hows, as I am.