Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007
So my Minecraft clone + Team Fortress 2 capture the flag + Tron look game is coming along nicely. I can now add/remove blocks from the world. I've been keeping the goons in TCC:Weed thread up to date on the game because I'm pretty sure that will be a large percent of the target demographic.

Anyway, I made them a picture and am posting that picture here now:

Next up, player collision!

edit: Man, that's some weird texture artifacting going on that I'm gonna have to fix.

edit 2: (this didn't warrant it's own post)

Different teams get different color blocks :downs:

Winkle-Daddy fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 24, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Weedcraft. I'd play it.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Had this idea for a while but just finally got around to building it. Made a web app called unsubscribr that goes through your email (gmail only for right now, working on Yahoo Mail) and picks out all of the bulk mail. It then gives you a list of results so you can unsubscribe from them really quickly.

Uses OAuth to authenticate to Gmail and Yahoo so you never have to type in a password on the site. I'm going with the freemium model where searching 5 days of mail in your inbox is free, up to 14 days and any folders/labels is a one-time cost of $2.00 - kind of like in the mobile app stores.

Anyway screenshots:

If anyone with a dirty Gmail account is interested in testing I'll set your account to the paid version.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
What do you have against the letter e? It means you no harm.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Domain is squatted. :/

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
A month seems like the much more obvious amount of time for a paid scan due to monthly newsletters.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

mintskoal posted:

Domain is squatted. :/

:eng101: unsubsrib.er No retarded spelling required!

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

duck monster posted:

.er

Allowed: third level domains, .com.er and .org.er
example.er type domains are forbidden.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Biowarfare posted:

.er

Allowed: third level domains, .com.er and .org.er
example.er type domains are forbidden.

cunts :mad:

Now I cant create my dream agriculture site. goats.er

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
On the plus side, you can send them a cheque for the domain and maybe it'll get created on their nameservers within the decade..

(there's no way to register online)

this catte
Dec 3, 2011

Did a few more planet tiles:

but more importantly, I put together a procedural algorithm that spits out a balanced selection of commodity prices. It takes a number from 1-56 and returns a selection of 5 commodities, ranked in price from 1 to 5. About 36 or so are chosen for each game, so it's generally fairly balanced, while having enough variance to aid replayability.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Winkle-Daddy posted:

So my Minecraft clone + Team Fortress 2 capture the flag + Tron look game is coming along nicely. I can now add/remove blocks from the world. I've been keeping the goons in TCC:Weed thread up to date on the game because I'm pretty sure that will be a large percent of the target demographic.

Anyway, I made them a picture and am posting that picture here now:

Next up, player collision!

edit: Man, that's some weird texture artifacting going on that I'm gonna have to fix.

edit 2: (this didn't warrant it's own post)

Different teams get different color blocks :downs:

Are you going to implement antialiasing? I love the way it looks but the pixelation on the tilted lines makes it look like poo poo.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

mintskoal posted:

If anyone with a dirty Gmail account is interested in testing I'll set your account to the paid version.

Most of the stuff goes to my spam folder, but I wouldn't mind giving it a try. grawler at gmail dot com

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

mintskoal posted:

Had this idea for a while but just finally got around to building it.

Sure why not.

Justin dot Steranko at gmail

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

yaoi prophet posted:

Are you going to implement antialiasing? I love the way it looks but the pixelation on the tilted lines makes it look like poo poo.

Thats just really copypasting some shader these days isn't it?

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

duck monster posted:

Thats just really copypasting some shader these days isn't it?

It might be, I know next to nothing about graphics programming.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

duck monster posted:

Yeah yeah I know the name isn't the best choice but maybe it will attract some WEB 2.0 ENTHUSIASTS.

Plorkyeran posted:

A month seems like the much more obvious amount of time for a paid scan due to monthly newsletters.

Agreed, however Google will complain if you do a big email pull like that. Also, if a heavy user scanned 30 days of inbox and trash, it could potentially be thousands of messages at a time. I'd love to support that but I can't rely on Google to allow it. For instance, 14 days of trash and inbox in my account is 544 messages. Takes about 3 minutes to process.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

mintskoal posted:

Agreed, however Google will complain if you do a big email pull like that. Also, if a heavy user scanned 30 days of inbox and trash, it could potentially be thousands of messages at a time. I'd love to support that but I can't rely on Google to allow it. For instance, 14 days of trash and inbox in my account is 544 messages. Takes about 3 minutes to process.
Can you scan the list of emails for known bulk sender addresses without retrieving the bodies?

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

mintskoal posted:

That's some fancy UI there, is it a library?

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Scaevolus posted:

Can you scan the list of emails for known bulk sender addresses without retrieving the bodies?

I do that, yes. I don't think I'll ever have an exhaustive list so for other messages I check the headers for list-unsubscribe, and then parse the message at last resort.

Cowcatcher posted:

That's some fancy UI there, is it a library?

I use Bootstrap a bunch and it rules pretty hard. I also use Google Web Fonts, some other jQuery, and that's about it.

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

yaoi prophet posted:

It really depends on performance. I'm using a built in "bloom" shader for the glowing effect, as the one I wrote isn't nearly as efficient. Once I have all of the game play elements in, I'll start tweaking the graphical settings. I'm just going for a baseline right now.

EDIT: If anyone is a good Python programmer and wants to collaborate on this project, grab Panda3D, see if it's something you're interested in working on and drop me a line at tsbrs [at] yahoo [dot] com. I am not very good at Python, so pulling this all together is a very slow process. Bonus points if you're good at network code because I'm dreading that!

Winkle-Daddy fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jan 26, 2012

wlievens
Nov 26, 2006

mintskoal posted:

Had this idea for a while but just finally got around to building it. Made a web app called unsubscribr that goes through your email (gmail only for right now, working on Yahoo Mail) and picks out all of the bulk mail. It then gives you a list of results so you can unsubscribe from them really quickly.

Uses OAuth to authenticate to Gmail and Yahoo so you never have to type in a password on the site. I'm going with the freemium model where searching 5 days of mail in your inbox is free, up to 14 days and any folders/labels is a one-time cost of $2.00 - kind of like in the mobile app stores.

Anyway screenshots:

I did this manually a few months ago. Took me hours. You're a genius, sir. Would love to test your app to see if I missed any crap.

Mail me at liev-enswo-uter at google's mail service after removing all them dashes.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

mintskoal posted:

Anyway screenshots:

Holy poo poo, this might actually make my gmail account useful again. shodanjr-at-gmail-dot-com :).

Jick Magger
Dec 27, 2005
Grimey Drawer

mintskoal posted:

Anyway screenshots:

hell yeah I'd love to try this. mjvotaw at gmail.com

[edit] nvm, I see you've set the cost to free while it's in beta.

Jick Magger fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jan 26, 2012

esp
Jul 13, 2003
Wanted to have an Android app under my belt, so I decided on a Scrabble/Wordfeud helper (one of many, I know).

You enter the letters in your rack and the app finds all possible words. Wildcards and some filtering is supported. The word-cruncher is hosted on Azure, so the app itself is quite small.

I tried a simple search where I loaded all the words into memory (over 300.000 in some languages), but that was way to slow to support multiple simultaneous users.

A Trie structure worked wonderfully, and a search with 7 random letters against 300.000 words tok less than 20 milliseconds. Problem was that the in-memory tree took > 700MBs. The reason for this is that the words BALL, HALL and MALL all get 4 individual nodes (B-A-L-L, H-A-L-L, M-A-L-L). The solution was to tie together equal "tails" so we're left with B/H/M-(A-L-L), where the *ALL-ending is referenced 3 times, cutting the number of nodes in half (from 12 to 6). This resulted in much better memory-usage, and enabled in-memory storage of multiple dictionaries on the server. This structure is called a DAWG (yo). The serialized word-tree is 2MB for 280.000 words (using protobuf-net).

Link to app: Wordwell

esp fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 28, 2012

this catte
Dec 3, 2011

Finished up the cargo bay display, the "crosshairs" cursor to show you which grid square the mouse is over, and the price display HUD. When you hover over a planet, it pops up to display that planet's price info. I wish I could show the way the cursor and price hud animate here, but that'll have to wait for the beta to open... which will be soon :)

Getting the price HUD to display in such a way that on edge tiles it moves to stay within the game board was much harder than it should have been. Oy, javascript.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Working on a game but decided first things first: Gotta have a strong server/client before anything game related is done. I just got done implementing chat. Pretty boring but pretty exciting since I tagged the trunk and now I have a base for any future multiplayer game I could ever want to write.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

poemdexter posted:

Working on a game but decided first things first: Gotta have a strong server/client before anything game related is done. I just got done implementing chat. Pretty boring but pretty exciting since I tagged the trunk and now I have a base for any future multiplayer game I could ever want to write.

So how hard is it to implement a chat/im system?

I'm thinking of putting one together for our IT department, hosted on our intranet, using windows authentication.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
If you're thinking of putting together an IM system for a corporate intranet then you should consider just using the Jabber protocol instead of rolling your own. It's extremely thorough and allows for interconnection with other XMPP-based systems (like google talk) and can bridge to other IM services.

http://xmpp.org/xmpp-protocols/rfcs/

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

aBagorn posted:

I'm thinking of putting one together for our IT department, hosted on our intranet, using windows authentication.

What csammis said. This is just a small part of a game and not the whole kit and caboodle. Else I would have just used some sort of prebuilt library and wrapped some windows forms around it.

If you are using lotus notes for email, you can always use that chat. Or use some sort of local irc channel? Is that possible?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Just use XMPP.

Super Delegate
Jan 20, 2005

ƃɐlɟ ǝɥʇ
I'm working on a website that lets users post their email address on forums without them being harvested by spambots.

You enter your email address and get a BBcode link. Each email viewer can complete 2 pageloads before they have to complete a reCAPTCHA to see another.

View my email address 1
View my email address 2
View my email address 3
(The third link you click will require a reCAPTCHA)

This is my first PHP project so send me a PM if you want to check for PostgreSQL/PHP exploits.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

Super Delegate posted:

I'm working on a website that lets users post their email address on forums without them being harvested by spambots.

You enter your email address and get a BBcode link. Each email viewer can complete 2 pageloads before they have to complete a reCAPTCHA to see another.

View my email address 1
View my email address 2
View my email address 3
(The third link you click will require a reCAPTCHA)

This is my first PHP project so send me a PM if you want to check for PostgreSQL/PHP exploits.

This would be really cool with a short URL.

Toper Hollyphant
Jul 31, 2010

poemdexter posted:

Yeah things like that usually pay themselves back really fast and even work much better than if you'd just add the feature to a game at later point.

Planning on doing a similar thing myself too, a platform to build my own games on. But <Insert some text here about being too busy to be able to write code on any personal projects..>

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Toper Hollyphant posted:

Yeah things like that usually pay themselves back really fast and even work much better than if you'd just add the feature to a game at later point.

Planning on doing a similar thing myself too, a platform to build my own games on. But <Insert some text here about being too busy to be able to write code on any personal projects..>

Tonight I just got done adding a player to the screen. Half the code I needed to get this to happen was already done by implement chat. It's more of a setting the framework to do things type of thing. Since chat works, I know I have packet handlers on both client and server as well as the ability to react to these packets. To add a player to the screen was just implementing a different type of packet and doing the entity stuff to hold the player object together.

Would doing chat after player on screen helped? Meh... I either implement all that framework stuff during player adding or during chat adding. Doing it during the chat implementation helped since I was just passing a string instead of dealing with a player entity.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

aBagorn posted:

I've had luck using ejabberd with its bundled ldap plugin. I think I have some notes on it somewhere, if you get stuck feel free to PM me. The only thing I had to do windows-side was add a user for the ldap plugin to query the active directory server.

Sebbe
Feb 29, 2004

I've been following Imgur roulette thread, and editing the script there a bit to suit my needs better.

Sadly, I couldn't add the functionality I wanted to the script on there, so I decided to take a slight detour into F#, both to learn it a bit, and to make an improved version.

The result is this:

Download

You'll need to have the F# Runtime 2.0 installed for the program to run, but apart from that it requires no installation: Simply run the .exe-file to use the program.

beauty queen breakdown
Dec 21, 2010

partially cromulent posting.
"2021's worst kept secret"

I haven't finished any programming projects in awhile, so I've started another.

Iterative development is my only talent. I expect there to be roughly 50 options in the main menu (at least, the dev version) by the time I finish. Online help pops up the default browser and takes it to the Haus of Tech Support.

Sadly, the graphics 'flicker' frequently on each re-draw. I'm using C# so I'm not sure what I can do to make that better.

My dedicated opinion is that you should build in your own crash functionality rather than let the environment take over.

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum
Nowhere near as cool as what you guys are doing, but I made a little website, mittbucks.com that takes your income and shows you what Mitt Romney would have to spend on stuff for it to be the same % of his income. I'm proud of myself for successfully following a little jquery/css tutorial about how to build the slideshow thing on the results page, as I knew next to nothing about either before starting on this yesterday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Delegate
Jan 20, 2005

ƃɐlɟ ǝɥʇ

Grawl posted:

This would be really cool with a short URL.

Thanks. I'll try to add bit.ly integration this weekend. I used twitter's bootstrap toolkit so the page is not just empty space with a form.

Super Delegate fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jan 31, 2012