Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Thanks to everyone who posts photos and updates about their chickens. I can't have pet chickens so I always enjoy seeing the images that people share. Chickens are so adorable! :)

Speaking of cute chickens, I wonder if there will be a Chickam this year? I haven't seen Velvet Sparrow post in a few months so I guess they're still house-hunting or in the process of moving in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

I was wondering the same. I hope VS and her family are doing well, she hasn't updated her livejournal since november.

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

Her twitter has been silent for a while now too. Do hope everything is ok.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

VS seemed kinda pissed off about running chickam last year, and she mentioned that she wouldn't be doing it because of internet connectivity, I thought?

E: Like didn't she say something about people being pissed off if she didn't show them "loving chickens" or something? I dunno if she was joking around or not. :ohdear: She seemed pretty irritated to me.

E2: I can't find it now. Maybe I imagined it? I did find her saying that she may not be able to do chickam due to internet stuff in 2011's chickam thread though.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jan 17, 2012

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

As I recall, last year was kind of a rough Chickam. VS had a death in the family and was gone for two weeks during the height of Chickam. Then some of the babies got sick (remember Duck dying? :( ). And that stupid woman adopted the hen Spaghetti and then allowed a dog to kill her. And brave Guardian died. :cry: During all of this, the neighbors kept bitching about the roosters crowing and VS had to give away a couple of them (poor Smokey). I recall that the neighbors' harassment was the final straw that made VS and 12_String want to move. And yet both VS and 12_String seemed to enjoy hosting Chickam.

I really appreciated them going the extra mile and taking the webcam outdoors so that we could see the babies all grown up and running around with the rest of the flock. I was very ill all of last year and I really enjoyed Chickam. The antics of the baby chicks cheered me up immensely. :)

I do remember 12_String saying that they were probably going to have a hard time getting an internet connection in the new area they were moving to, but I'm not even sure they've found a new home yet. They might be having a hard time even getting online right now. VS had said the chickens were currently living in a barn and they can't go out and free range in the middle of winter. She did post a few amusing photos of the chickens being introduced to snow! Chickspicion is always hilarious.

Anyway, I hope things are going well for VS, 12_String, the Kid and the flock. I wonder if Peepsquire had managed to lay an egg yet? And whether Weedcat is now the fluffiest roo in the barn. :)

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

Die Essensrationen wurden verdoppelt!
Die Anzahl der Torpedos wurde verdoppelt!

Inveigle posted:

Anyway, I hope things are going well for VS, 12_String, the Kid and the flock. I wonder if Peepsquire had managed to lay an egg yet? And whether Weedcat is now the fluffiest roo in the barn. :)

I bet Weedcat will Macguyver up a camera. And then proceed to knock it over just to mess with us.

Zaran
Mar 26, 2010

For Chickam peeps: Word from VS!

The family have a home and just got internet connection, still moving in but yay homeowners \o/.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Yay VS is gonna be back! Also, Roostroyer is such a whiny manwhore. He's been really annoying lately when I let the chickens out at dawn and a bit before sundown. He starts to chase the hens and be really rough when mounting them, so when I let them out, I keep him out of the run until it is 8 or 9 am, and he has calmed down. Today, he decided that he was gonna crow nonstop all morning, so I let one hen out. He shuts up... only to start again because one hen is not enough. So I let another hen out. He shuts up, then starts whining again about not having enough hens to mount.

Finally I let 4 hens out and keep Spaghetti, Flake, and Godzilla in the run. Spaghetti has been slowly putting on weight but she's still rather skinny, so I don't want to let her with Roo unsupervised for too long. Flake is still small, she's about 4 months old, however she isn't heavy enough to deal with Roo's crushing acts of love. Godzilla has a bald spot on her back so I want to give her a break from Roo while I make her a chicken apron. So Roo shuts up, but then he joins the hens in their cacophony of boks because they are taking their sweet time to lay today, and bitches won't stop yapping :argh:

I wonder if putting Roo in drag hasn't made him more henlike :downs: he's just as noisy as the hens lately, and I don't know if that's common to have roosters join the hens in their "egg song."

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

Twitter posted:

VelvetSparrow
The Snow Gods have been kind, but their patience is at an end-supposed to snow starting tomorrow for 4 days.Just in time for our moving van!
53 minutes ago

Velvet Sparrow
Also spending a fair amount of time cussing previous owner's half-assed home repair & maintenance. Spackle is my new friend.
55 minutes ago

Velvet Sparrow
Finally have Internet service after many weeks without. Setting up all the utilities, cleaning, painting...and more cleaning.
56 minutes ago

Velvet Sparrow
...and so I am a homeowner.
58 minutes ago

Just twit replied that she needs to come back and tell us if Chick.AM is happening again this year, also. But yay.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Hooray for having a new (used) house! I'm glad VS and her family again have a home to call their own! :)

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

More good news, it seems

Twitter posted:

Velvet Sparrow
Happy to say that as of now, Chickam will be a go for this year! We seem to have adequate Internet services to handle it. Aiming for March!
1 hour ago

I call dibs on naming one "Queen Elizabeak"

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

:neckbeard: That's awesome!

The name is awesome too, but chickam is the best.

Coot Malarmia
Dec 30, 2006

On vacation in the Isles of Langerhans, leave a message.
Mmmm, last year's Chickam -- so many times I was late for work because wasn't that egg over there sort of moving ... ? Can't leave now, that one's cracking, I might see it hatch in a a minute or an hour -- OMG, AN ACTUAL SLIMY LITTLE BUNDLE OF FEATHERS AND BEAK IS EMERGING! And then post-hatch, the way they'd all frantically have a spaz attack simultaneously, then collapse into sleep for a few seconds, then freak out again. Had no idea staring at somebody else's fuzzy baby chicks thousands of miles away was going to be so addictive ...

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

I'm more excited for Chickam than I was for my birthday. True story.

There's just something addictive about watching these tiny little balls of pathos renew the life cycle and experience the world.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Vaga42Bond posted:

More good news, it seems

I call dibs on naming one "Queen Elizabeak"

Oh my god, yay~ I look so forward to Chickam. VS and 12_String are good people. :3:

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Kerfuffle posted:

Oh my god, yay~ I look so forward to Chickam. VS and 12_String are good people. :3:

They are really nice people, :D and they take really good care of their pets. When went to pick up Roostroyer, I met the flock and a couple of VS's chickens pecked me (one jumped and pecked my butt...) because they wanted me to hold them, and I obliged. Her chickens are so friendly :D

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
Look, I am very interested in this. But, I really came here for the pictures of fat enormous cocks. :dong:

Moar pics!

Also, I heard chickens need to eat gravel/limestone to have hard egg shells. Is this true?

Jenner fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jan 26, 2012

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Fat cock pics, you said?

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Chido posted:

Fat cock pics, you said?

Oh man, that's one huge cock you've got there. :gizz:

Tell me, do you ever just sit and play with his waddle? I'd bop it back and forth for hours :3:

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Bash Ironfist posted:

Oh man, that's one huge cock you've got there. :gizz:

Tell me, do you ever just sit and play with his waddle? I'd bop it back and forth for hours :3:

Actually we do. I hold him while my nieces go "wattle wattle wattle" and play with his wattles. :blush:

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Chido posted:

Actually we do. I hold him while my nieces go "wattle wattle wattle" and play with his wattles. :blush:

Never be ashamed of this. It is the only logical thing to do when you own pet chickens.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
How do you even touch your chickens? I raised them since they were a couple days old and they still run away from me. Whenever I try to pet them. They'll come if I have food but they freak out if I touch them. WHyyyy?

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Don't let them go even if they freak out. Give them treats while you hold them and don't let them go until they calm down. It's almost like dealing with a dog, if they learn they can get what they want by misbehaving, they'll keep doing it.

Now, some chickens are just not lap chickens. The stray hen we caught, Dust, is still very weary of humans. She does eat from your hand but we gotta corner her in the coop to catch her, alhough I usually wait until she's inside on her own in the afternoon to get her and pet her a bit, and also to check her for parasites and injuries. she shakes a bit, but doesn't struggle anymore.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
I just have a hard time catching them.

Have you ever tried hypnotizing your chickens? I've done it and it's worked every time (when I used to be able to catch them)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1r9QWtlLOdc

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Oh we also have to chase them a bit when they don't want to be held, but once we catch them they have to submit to some heavy cuddling :3:

rangergirl
Jun 3, 2004
A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer
So apparently hens can crow?? I went outside this morning and heard crowing in the coop, which was odd since our rooster was sitting right in front of me. I went in the coop and it was just a couple of Barred Rock hens in there hanging out...so one of them has decided it's a rooster stuck in a hen's body or something. Has anyone ever seen a hen crow?

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Yes, they definitely can crow. In fact our two Rhode Island Reds would get up and crow between 4:30 and 5am each morning, which got really old really fast - they even were doing it in the dead of winter in Seattle (when the sun doesn't usually rise until 7:30).

And that's the story of how our Reds ended up on Craigslist and my wife and I sleep better.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
Are you kidding me?? God, I hope my chickens don't do that or they'll have to go.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Uh, there are chickens meandering about my road. I herded them off once, but they keep walking out there and I live on a curve. I'm kind of worried they're going to get smashed. Is there any way to try to figure out where they came from?

E: And now they've disappeared. I hope they went home. :ohdear:

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 26, 2012

Tim Jong-un
Aug 22, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Hens crowing is supposed to be heap bad mojo. My grandmother used to lop the heads off hens that crowed as soon as she saw them. I ate the last hen of mine that crowed, who am I to question old wives tales.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Maximusi posted:

Are you kidding me?? God, I hope my chickens don't do that or they'll have to go.

Sadly, no. We have some very forgiving neighbors but those Reds were the result of the only complaint we've had about our chickens, and we're coming up on the 2 year anniversary of urban chicken farming.

They're in a hopefully better home now. The buyer wanted to breed them with a rooster so I can only assume they've had a lesson in who's really supposed to be crowing.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Look what I found! A video from last summer, featuring Roostroyer learning to crow, he does it at the beginning but the image is too dark, then again at around 3:40 :).

meriruka
Apr 13, 2007

Jenner posted:

Also, I heard chickens need to eat gravel/limestone to have hard egg shells. Is this true?

All chickens need to swallow grit/gravel to grind their food. Hens also need crushed oyster shell (calcium) to make strong eggs. Most commercial laying feed has enough calcium in it already.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

And our leghorn pullet Flake laid her first white egg! It came out a bit bloody but meh, all chickens are egg layers now!

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

Usually I just live vicariously through this thread, but "Thinking Chickens" came up on Dr. Yin's fb feed today. I want to clicker train a chicken so badly, if only to watch that little brain think :3: Awesome.

(Please someone on here do this)

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Enelrahc posted:

Usually I just live vicariously through this thread, but "Thinking Chickens" came up on Dr. Yin's fb feed today. I want to clicker train a chicken so badly, if only to watch that little brain think :3: Awesome.

(Please someone on here do this)

Cutest thing ever. :3: Watching that wattle flap around as she's examining the dots, eeeee.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Chido posted:

Look what I found! A video from last summer, featuring Roostroyer learning to crow, he does it at the beginning but the image is too dark, then again at around 3:40 :).

Awww. Does he have the hang of it now? Does he crow fairly often?

The first time my parents' chickens started to crow we were seriously worried something was in the pen and killing them. Nope, turns out roosters can just sound very odd at first. Then the five roosters started to get into competition over who could crow earliest in the morning. The hatchet came out when they reached 4AM.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

CaptBubba posted:

Awww. Does he have the hang of it now? Does he crow fairly often?

He got the hang of it :3:

And he doesn't crow much in the morning, he gets loud if I take my time in letting the hens out of the run. Roo is very annoying and he chases the hens around a lot when they just come out of the coop, so I keep them separated for an hour or two in the morning, then I let them all together to have their poultry orgy :puke:

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Chickens taking a dust bath!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

LOL!!! I burst out laughing when Megatron and Roostroyer stood up and shook themselves off and created huge dust clouds! Let's see any lice try to survive that. How does Roo manage to look so clean and white when he's been wallowing around in dirt?

Also...awwwws at Roostroyer doing his first big boy crows! Little baby Roo is all grown up now! So proud! :3: