Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

The Devil Tesla posted:

i don't know if you are aware but this is matt damon craft

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFdzA2wI6c0

i don't know if I can go on now.

I dont really play that much anymore but this had me in tears

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Laser Spider posted:

Please tell me that these things stack :fap:

They stack up to 64.

Danzou posted:

So how do these Fire Charges compare with just sticking a dispenser behind a sheet of lava to shoot flaming arrows?

I didn't try that. The fire charges fly in a more or less straight line (most landed about 8 meters away, but a couple hit a tree >100 meters away). They set the block they hit on fire instead of exploding. If they made the charges explode like fireballs, you would have easily craftable TNT cannons.

Fun thing I learned from this: tall grass can burn.

Coleman posted:

What ARE those flame ball things?

Fire charges: craftable ghast fireballs you can load in dispensers. They also work like a flint and steel (no durability, but I only tried in Creative).

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
I never bothered thinking of this, but having items stack up to 64 is such a programmer-y thing to do. 50, 100, or 120 would make way more sense (easy to divide up while working well in the number system that human beings use), but oh man, powers of two. :pcgaming:

I'd prefer 120 or even just 60. And it'd be cool if there was a button for taking a third of the items off a stack so that books, bread, redstone repeaters, and other things are easier to make.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I wonder if stacks of 64 is another thing Notch put in, because of his programming skills. I seem to recall that some of the other things in Minecraft (Number of free textures?) came because of some programming mumbojumbo.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Schwarzwald posted:

It's like an Enderman came to your house to rearrange your cat.

You could use Enderman code maybe, I dunno. I'm just going off my experiences as a cat owner. I go out to grab some takeaway, one cat is sleeping on my chair in the living room and the other is sleeping on top of a blanket left on the couch. I come back and the cat on the chair is now sleeping on the top of the back of the couch and the other one is sleeping on my bed.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
I may stab someone if thirst it put in, but I have faith in Jeb that it is an alchemy thing.

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

I've misunderstood what a lion is.

Grimey Drawer
I'm holding out for biome-specific npc villages.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Rack posted:

I'm holding out for biome-specific npc villages.

I dread the idea of a swamp village filled with dick-nosed NPC hillbillies.

ARTS and Warcrafts
Sep 25, 2011

by Ozmaugh
That Matt Damon thing is unarguably the best thing to come out of Minecraft.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

For all of my griping, Jeb is the best thing to happen to Minecraft. Dude is putting in new content like a beast. I hope he can keep up the pace.

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

Paraphrasing moments of genius

Danzou posted:

I assume Jeb is working on the Mod API on the side, so I don't mind lesser updates while they get to it.

I haven't seen this posted yet, so: http://www.reddit.com/r/Minecraft/comments/oxohr/whatever_happened_to_the_mod_api/c3kuzsc

Basically, yes, Jeb is working on the Mod API.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Not only is he working on it but he is getting knowledgeable people to help. Fuckin :golfclap:, Jeb.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Iacen posted:

I wonder if stacks of 64 is another thing Notch put in, because of his programming skills. I seem to recall that some of the other things in Minecraft (Number of free textures?) came because of some programming mumbojumbo.

I know there are old videos of Minecraft that show stacks of items more than 64. I think the one someone posted a few pages back showing a house burning down with some high-poly mobs, and it showed some items in the hotbar that had more than 64.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
That's just because some mods that let you spawn items would let you give yourself more than the maximum amount.

Bicehunter
Jul 8, 2010
Well, the amount of block types etc beeing a multiple of 2 isn't very strange, you need to store the id in something, there are many cubes in the datafile, going from a byte to a integer will increase the size by 4 and you'll need to write or read 4 times as many bytes sooo that isn't very strange. (1 byte = 8bits = numbers it hold 0 - 255). He could have done a few tricks tho like if byte is set to 255 then the following byte is also part of the block id etc. The stacking thing I don't really understand since he can't cram the item id into 2 bits since there are more than 4 different items so I guess thats just "quirky indie charm".

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

lordfrikk posted:

Not only is he working on it but he is getting knowledgeable people to help. Fuckin :golfclap:, Jeb.

If this is true, it might be what I need to hop back into modding. bukkit isn't fun to use nor is having stuff broken potentially for a week while things get fixed. I'd love to be able to mod multiplayer things without being held back by the code itself or 3rd party libraries.

BlueOccamy
Jul 1, 2010
I'm hoping they work on animals a bit more in general, I don't know if it's just multiplayer or what but even after a baby is grown the parents will still follow it around and won't follow wheat. Once you use wheat on them again they'll snap back to reality, but then they're just following another baby around... I'd love if the babies followed you around if you held out a bucket of milk or something, so you can at least lead them (and by extension their parents) back to the pen when a creeper takes out the side of it while you're trying to protect them because creepers suck sooo much in SMP and explode when they wouldn't in single player :/

I'd also like to see them fix them glitching all over the place, I made a barn on our server and keep finding sheep in with my cows on the other side of the brick wall between them, things walking along the two-high fence around the huge area I have for them, etc. I don't care if the wool I shear off moves slightly after it lands, just make the server to client movements smoother for the animals cause it's frustrating as hell to constantly see cows and sheep and pigs and chickens glitching up and down two squares or walking along fences they shouldn't be able to reach >.<

Also jack-o-lanterns are the best light source ever, since they're solid like glowstone and don't require trips to the Nether. Chasing down animals now doesn't involve replacing torches all along the pen that I knock over, since I just embedded jack-o-lanterns into the ground every so often for light :D Oh, and on the topic of chasing animals- I'd love an item you can use to click on an animal and have just that one follow you somewhere, even if it's just a stick or something that's already in the game. And it should work on animals even if they are a baby or otherwise can't have wheat used on them, because sometimes I want to put the babies in their own little pen to coo over and can't cause the parents keep glitching up against me and baaa-ing...

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Are the potions of Enchanting new? I haven't seen them before and they're pretty cool -- throw them and they break open to reveal those Level Up Orbs or whatever you call them.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I call them souls. Calling them experience is dumb.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
E: I read well.

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot

Shnakepup posted:

I haven't seen this posted yet, so: http://www.reddit.com/r/Minecraft/comments/oxohr/whatever_happened_to_the_mod_api/c3kuzsc

Basically, yes, Jeb is working on the Mod API.

Jeb posted:

I know many people are asking about this, and the current status is still that it's my "main priority." Now you wonder why nothing has been posted about it yet... Well, it's because I do not plan to do the mod api alone, and we are working out the contracts with the team that will help me. Until that is done, the mod api will remain in the "planning stages."

An api is crucial for Minecraft's future, so I'm not leaving it. However, I try to do my best not to get stressed up about it. This job is pretty stressful (and fun of course) already.
Yeah, I think Jeb understands how important this is. I'm glad, because I think everyone can agree, a powerful API would be absolutely amazing.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Borden posted:

Awesome, this convinces me that Minecraft's only claim to fame is going to be ushering in this new kind of cube game. It's like Ultima Online. It's the first big attempt at a new game type but they got a lot wrong, but other more competent people ran with the idea and made better games. Notch is basically the new Lord British.
Cube Worlds does look fantastic and the little village-maker system they've been talking about lately looks great. But like someone said, it's still a lot different from Minecraft and has no mining whatsoever, and minimal resource gathering outside of gold and such from monsters.
I just hope we get something playable from it soon.

KrautHedge
Dec 5, 2008
I'm hoping that Jeb is taking a page out of DF and gave us a new abundant food source. Can't wait to survive solely on cat meat.

We really need a new mob that can break invade your fortresses. Maybe add something like goblin invasions or some kind of door smashing mob. I'd like to have a reason to build traps in my base (could you imagine throwing caged gobbos into a pit with creepers? :pray:).

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

KrautHedge posted:

I'm hoping that Jeb is taking a page out of DF and gave us a new abundant food source. Can't wait to survive solely on cat meat.

We really need a new mob that can break invade your fortresses. Maybe add something like goblin invasions or some kind of door smashing mob. I'd like to have a reason to build traps in my base (could you imagine throwing caged gobbos into a pit with creepers? :pray:).

Amen. I can't wait to wipe these Ocelot / Cats off the face of the earth so they don't remind me of all of the cool, original creatures my imagination told me we could have had and instead we ended up with dumbass cats.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

KrautHedge posted:

goblin invasions

Holy poo poo this sounds awesome if it was implemented properly. Wake up in the middle of the night to a bunch of green mob dudes breaking through your walls and killing your livestock or ruining your farms and you have to fend them off.

And it will never happen. :(

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Amen. I can't wait to wipe these Ocelot / Cats off the face of the earth so they don't remind me of all of the cool, original creatures my imagination told me we could have had and instead we ended up with dumbass cats.

Did your imagination ever tell you to go check out Mo'Creatures? They got horses.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Awesome Welles posted:

Holy poo poo this sounds awesome if it was implemented properly. Wake up in the middle of the night to a bunch of green mob dudes breaking through your walls and killing your livestock or ruining your farms and you have to fend them off.

And then you die once because you weren't expecting it, so you respawn next to your bed, without arms or armor, and they're already in your house, so you die again, maybe take one out trying to get to your dropped gear, but by the time you can reequip poo poo, you've already taken enough damage that you die again and drop all your poo poo again and oh hey your bed got broken by a rampaging goblin (you said they could break walls, why not beds?) so you respawn at the original spawn point, some umpteen-zillion blocks away. And then your items despawn before you can pick them up again. And you still have the rest of the invasion to deal with.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

redmercer posted:

Did your imagination ever tell you to go check out Mo'Creatures? They got horses.

I'm in the camp that gets titillated by strange--or at least unusual--things, like Creepers, Endermen, and our penis-nosed NPCs. Cats are just so...blah. Horses too. For some reason Monkeys struck me as an okay idea, but I would have preferred a monkey-like creature and not "monkey".

I'd go so far as to say that the End's "Dragon" was a horrible let down because it was just a lovely dragon. Something like an Endermen-themed Beholder or anything with a little more imagination behind it would have been better, in my opinion.

EDIT:

I mean, this is what Minecraft could be. Check that poo poo out: Nothing boring about that. Some giant Endermen Beholder plotting the end of the world while maybe some dwarves or something try to negotiate with redstone and gold. Then you've got that dude on the far left just going, "oh man, what the poo poo?" and that'd probably be the player. Note the testicle-headed "dogs" in the foreground, which are very original and are also not dumbass cats or dogs.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jan 27, 2012

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Allen Wren posted:

And then you die once because you weren't expecting it, so you respawn next to your bed, without arms or armor, and they're already in your house, so you die again, maybe take one out trying to get to your dropped gear, but by the time you can reequip poo poo, you've already taken enough damage that you die again and drop all your poo poo again and oh hey your bed got broken by a rampaging goblin (you said they could break walls, why not beds?) so you respawn at the original spawn point, some umpteen-zillion blocks away. And then your items despawn before you can pick them up again. And you still have the rest of the invasion to deal with.

Serves me right for not being prepared for the impending blood orgy :black101:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Notch mentioned how he wanted to have a Zombie/Skeleton invasion mode. He never made it.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Pretentious Turtle posted:

Notch mentioned how he wanted to have a Zombie/Skeleton invasion mode. He never made it.

It was a stupid idea like his plan to make torches burn out.

HallsK
Mar 22, 2005

I just downloaded the newest snapshot version and, holy crap! It turns out jungle biomes are actually a lot more fun than I thought they'd be. I wish I could find some decent jungle ambiance to play in the background for my tarzan adventures though...

I spawned right on the edge of a massive jungle and decided to dig a shelter below the underbrush instead of building a survival shack.

The leaf canopy makes it easy to see when the sun is coming up, which is good because at night the jungle is lousy with spiders. I try not to think about what other insects could be crawling all over me in my sleep down here.

There was some iron directly below my hole-house, so lucky me! Having shears means free ladders with all the vines around. I begin carving a path through the jungle with my new machete-shears.

What's this? A mysterious cave entrance with a convenient little vine ladder? Don't mind if I do!

Not very deep...

..not actually cave at all, but the secret entrance to a hidden clear-water pool! Filled with cats! :3:

Cannot wait to build a treetop village around my newly discovered fountain of youth. Bravo, Jeb, bravo... :golfclap:

EDIT: If anyone wants the seed, it's 3203005277693909192 and the hidden pool entrance is around x:-80, y:80, z:20

Also, here I found this and it's close enough to jungle sounds. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGEHYY8c8VM&annotation_id=annotation_573782&src_vid=43yvlrNl3Xc&feature=iv

HallsK fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jan 27, 2012

KrautHedge
Dec 5, 2008
It appears the snapshot also added skeleton musical chairs (without the music).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4H0Bb2MQ2s0

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

It looks like Jeb will have to finally implement more sensible light propagation rules, which is a good thing.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
I for one am more excited about the larger trees. I've been waiting for more tree variation since I bought the game.

Now I just wish that they'd update the other tree biomes to have just as much variation. Even better would be a mechanic where trees grow.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I'd love it if there was a calendar. Regular days of the week, or made up ones, I don't care. But along with this calendar, there would be hidden (from the player) events, one of many being that mobs are ultra-vicious one night, and try to invade. Or a specific, very terrible mob shows up one day to wreck your poo poo, but you don't know when it'll happen, or even if it will at all.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Danzou posted:

Yeah, I think Jeb understands how important this is. I'm glad, because I think everyone can agree, a powerful API would be absolutely amazing.

This is based on absolute assumption and pure gut feeling, but I'm going to go ahead and call it and say Jeb is contracting out the API work with the bukkit team and the new API will consist of nothing but lovely hooks into events. This way, people get an API so they can check it off as developed but all the good mods will still have to rely on deobfuscated code plus people matching classes to obfuscated class and method names.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

Awesome Welles posted:

That doesn't sound fun at all.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

YOURFRIEND posted:

That doesn't sound fun at all.

Sounds fun if you have made the necessary preparations due to failed defenses in the past, and this time, you get the bastards... this time...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

KrautHedge posted:

It appears the snapshot also added skeleton musical chairs (without the music).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4H0Bb2MQ2s0

Willie Trombone posted:

It looks like Jeb will have to finally implement more sensible light propagation rules, which is a good thing.

No, this will probably be a bad thing, since, judging by the video, those dancing mobs are playing with the weird half-block light/liquid physics. If Jeb "fixes" that, it means that mobs will likely be able to spawn on half-blocks. Their not spawning there has been a feature forever and is used very very heavily in the cities in a server I frequent, and if it's "fixed" poo poo is going to be horrible forever.