Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your GPS
I'd be a heavenly person today

Electrical Fire posted:

Is there any word about the Prime getting an updated back panel, or is that going to be exclusive to the TF700?

No plans have been announced to alter the back of the Prime.

They pretty much just said to not use the TF201 to navigate and left it at that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

Nannypea posted:

Wireless Trip Report:

I took my Prime with me to the local hospital today while I waiting on my husband. I hooked both my phone and prime to the free WiFi. I had 3 bars on both. I had no with problems the signal anywhere. Looks like it might not be as bad as feared.

I haven't had a single wifi problem since I got mine. So either it was just the first batch of tablets, or it was fixed in an update... or I suppose people are blowing the GPS issue out of proportion and claiming it also affects wifi.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:
Isn't gps kind of useless since it's wifi only and if you're doing any navigating you need a data connection, and the wifi will automatically position you?

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

Does anyone have any insight to why there is a shortage on the Prime's keyboard dock? I want one for mine, but I'm not going to pay the mark-up gouge on Amazon due to impatience.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

AppleCobbler posted:

Isn't gps kind of useless since it's wifi only and if you're doing any navigating you need a data connection, and the wifi will automatically position you?

As has been said numerous times there are connection-less navigation apps, you can also data-tether to your phone & navigate on a bigger screen

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

5er posted:

Does anyone have any insight to why there is a shortage on the Prime's keyboard dock? I want one for mine, but I'm not going to pay the mark-up gouge on Amazon due to impatience.
No insight as to why, but shipments seem to be rolling in now. They've been appearing for a few minutes at a time on Newegg and Tiger Direct, and there are spotty reports of finding them at Office Depot, Best Buy, and Fry's.

DarkFact
Sep 8, 2003

Just as planned!
To chime in, I finally found a Prime at my local best buy and pulled the trigger right away. Where my phone and laptop get a good signal, the Prime's was low and couldn't open streams or youtube videos. This was with ICS and all the latest stuff installed.

They might have fixed most of the issues, but I could see my tablet definitely having some hangups with the wireless reception, even at the maximum performance setting. I'll just wait for the updated Prime or something else to come along - my router is barely a room away, so it wasn't worth holding onto for low media streaming capabilities. Maybe I was just unlucky. :(

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
So I've had my prime for little over a week and I love it. However, recently it seems to be a little sluggish at picking up my input.

When scrolling the screen it can take up half the height of the screen in landscape mode before it'll move. More than half if I happen to place my finger over a link when trying to scroll.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

DarkFact posted:

Maybe I was just unlucky. :(
Exchange it and see if a different one is better?

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Looking to Buy a McLaren, Anyone Selling One .... Cheap?

DarkFact posted:

To chime in, I finally found a Prime at my local best buy and pulled the trigger right away. Where my phone and laptop get a good signal, the Prime's was low and couldn't open streams or youtube videos. This was with ICS and all the latest stuff installed.

They might have fixed most of the issues, but I could see my tablet definitely having some hangups with the wireless reception, even at the maximum performance setting. I'll just wait for the updated Prime or something else to come along - my router is barely a room away, so it wasn't worth holding onto for low media streaming capabilities. Maybe I was just unlucky. :(
Do you have an N band router? When I switched from using my old Lynksis running Tomato to Comcast's combined cable modem and N band router, I noticed significant performance boost on my Prime not to mention all my other wireless devices.

I fear that many of the Prime reported wifi issues may be a combination of over exaggeration and use of old routers. While I'm not denying that there may be an issue, but just that it may also be blown up a little.

VVV Yea that's the same generic case I got too, except mine by Poetic. Minisuit and another 2 or 3 companies have the exact same case. I've had mine for about 2 weeks so far, and it's great except the cover seems to attract finger smudges.

McLarenF1 fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jan 26, 2012

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Ordered this case and got it in today. I really like it. It's got enough slots in the case for camera, speaker, mic, charging, etc so I don't think there's a reason to ever have to remove it. It works great as a stand, and doesn't really add much bulk to the tablet. It's pretty cheap crappy fake leather though, which isn't a big deal since it only cost $10

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006LSCCPG/ref=oh_o01_s00_i00_details

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Looking to Buy a McLaren, Anyone Selling One .... Cheap?
I keep flip flopping between using the stock web browser on my Price w/ ICS and Opera Mobile. I want to use Opera Mobile more, but the fact that it doesn't have a "Request Desktop Site" option like the stock browser keeps me from committing. Are there any other mobile browsers that I should now about?

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Sending my Prime back for RMA... The only service center in the US that services Primes is the one in Grapevine, TX. After reading this thread I called ASUS back ten minutes after receiving my RMA email. Which is when I discovered the aforementioned fact about bing the only repair facility.

I have video documented the packaging of my tablet. I also have photographic documentation of the condition of the tablet and the serial number on both both the tablet and the box.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

McLarenF1 posted:

I keep flip flopping between using the stock web browser on my Price w/ ICS and Opera Mobile. I want to use Opera Mobile more, but the fact that it doesn't have a "Request Desktop Site" option like the stock browser keeps me from committing. Are there any other mobile browsers that I should now about?
dolphin HD is really good, but I haven't found a reason to use it over the default browser yet.

I got my microsd today. Saddened I can't get google music to download to it instead of internal storage. I also don't like that there is always a notification that it's in with the Prime.

NiVRaM88
May 19, 2009

McLarenF1 posted:

In my opinion, nothing trumps the default browser due entirely to Quick Controls. Its the most intuitive and progressive mobile browser control I've seen and probably one of my favorite features of Honeycomb/ICS.

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I can and shall obey

Frozen-Solid posted:

Don't like that there is always a notification that it's in with the Prime.

Same with the "dock connected" notification. Pointless, and just looks messy.

MrMoose
Jan 4, 2003

Happy Happy Joy Joy
Welp, first Prime I got is a giant pile of poo poo. I got my case in today so I started using the tablet. First thing I do is update to ICS.

Few minutes in, lockup. Force reboot. Stuck on the initial screen. Force power off, turn back on. Happens again. Then I do a "cold boot" and it powers back on...

And locks up again after 5 minutes.

Anyone else experiencing this kind of issue? I'm reading some suggestions online that say to run it for a few weeks without apps to 'make sure it works right'. But, well...the tablet is rather useless if I can't install stuff on it. I'm about to take this one back and exchange it for another, though. Hopefully I don't get a second dud.

EDIT: Reading that a ton of people are having issues with theirs too. Wondering if I should just get a refund and wait until all the problems are fixed :( I didn't buy this tablet to be forced into using Honeycomb.

MrMoose fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jan 27, 2012

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

It's worth a try to do a factory reset but if it still experiences freezes/reboots then get an exchange, don't wait until the return period runs out.

MrMoose
Jan 4, 2003

Happy Happy Joy Joy

Rastor posted:

It's worth a try to do a factory reset but if it still experiences freezes/reboots then get an exchange, don't wait until the return period runs out.

Tried that already. Still having issues with mine :(

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

MrMoose posted:

Tried that already. Still having issues with mine :(

Are you sure you're on the latest update? There's at least one update after ICS that might not have a "from factory" update on top of it.

Even when I did have a few force reboots, they weren't anything like you're describing though. I had 2 right after ICS installed, while I was downloading/installing about 50 things at once, and I've had maybe 2 force reboots over the past 2 weeks after that.

I haven't had any reboots since the latest update.

MrMoose
Jan 4, 2003

Happy Happy Joy Joy

Frozen-Solid posted:

Are you sure you're on the latest update? There's at least one update after ICS that might not have a "from factory" update on top of it.

Even when I did have a few force reboots, they weren't anything like you're describing though. I had 2 right after ICS installed, while I was downloading/installing about 50 things at once, and I've had maybe 2 force reboots over the past 2 weeks after that.

I haven't had any reboots since the latest update.

Pretty sure it is the most recent one, as I installed the update about 15 minutes before I made the initial post.

The first crash happened after I opened an application. Wasn't doing anything. Second happened while I was downloading a few apps.

So yeah, going to take it back to the store and exchange. If I have issues with the second one, i'll get a refund.

MrMoose
Jan 4, 2003

Happy Happy Joy Joy
Update: second one hasnt crashed yet. been about 30 minutes. Did the ICS update, downloaded all my apps (could get through 2 or 3 before a crash before).

Next, try to play a game or some such.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

McLarenF1 posted:

For anyone on ICS (tablets and phones included), check out ICS Browser +. It's the stock ICS browser with a few teaks such as an expanded quick menu, more user agent options, and gestures. More features are planned. I'm using it on my Galaxy Nexus and CM9 TouchPad and it's the best Android browser I've tried.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.beansoft.browserplus

ModestMuse
Jun 25, 2011

I can and shall obey
The quality difference between different Primes is shocking. I've seen pictures of people light bleeding where it's coming from 5 or 6 different places. Claims of 4 or 5 dead pixels. The serial unknown issue. Then issues like MrMoose where the software just doesn't seem to want to work... At the same time, there's people like me that don't have any dead pixels, have never seen it re-boot, etc.

Hopefully in another year the dockable tablet will just be standard across all manufacturers. It's such a great feature, but ASUS does't seem to be great at quality...

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

MrMoose posted:

Welp, first Prime I got is a giant pile of poo poo. I got my case in today so I started using the tablet. First thing I do is update to ICS.

Few minutes in, lockup. Force reboot. Stuck on the initial screen. Force power off, turn back on. Happens again. Then I do a "cold boot" and it powers back on...

And locks up again after 5 minutes.

Anyone else experiencing this kind of issue? I'm reading some suggestions online that say to run it for a few weeks without apps to 'make sure it works right'. But, well...the tablet is rather useless if I can't install stuff on it. I'm about to take this one back and exchange it for another, though. Hopefully I don't get a second dud.

EDIT: Reading that a ton of people are having issues with theirs too. Wondering if I should just get a refund and wait until all the problems are fixed :( I didn't buy this tablet to be forced into using Honeycomb.

Take it to the Asus store and get a replacement. You should't have to put up with that on what's supposed to be a "premium" tablet.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

ModestMuse posted:

The quality difference between different Primes is shocking. I've seen pictures of people light bleeding where it's coming from 5 or 6 different places. Claims of 4 or 5 dead pixels. The serial unknown issue. Then issues like MrMoose where the software just doesn't seem to want to work... At the same time, there's people like me that don't have any dead pixels, have never seen it re-boot, etc.

What really baffles me about this is that ASUS's other products are absolutely amazing. I own an ASUS desktop, a 2nd generation EEE PC, a G-series laptop, and now the Transformer Prime. The Prime is the first product that didn't have glowing reviews before buying it.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Well I mean are you surprised? It was shocking when they announced a quad core tablet coming out so soon, and the same goes for the ICS update, and now it's very clear that they rushed both to the market so they could be "first."

It's the same poo poo that happened with HTC in 2010: "Hey, the battery life on the Incredible & Evo is horrible. We should probably work on it a bit m-" "NO!!!!! WE MUST BE FIRST!!!!!!!!!!"

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

32GB 9.7" HP Touchpad is $219 today on Woot. There's an early build of CM7 for this tablet I think so it's a pretty great deal.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

Syrinxx posted:

32GB 9.7" HP Touchpad is $219 today on Woot. There's an early build of CM7 for this tablet I think so it's a pretty great deal.

CM9 alpha is out too. But for that price it might be a better idea to get a first gen HC tablet wit dev support.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Syrinxx posted:

32GB 9.7" HP Touchpad is $219 today on Woot. There's an early build of CM7CM9/ICS for this tablet I think so it's a pretty great deal.

CM9 is working pretty well, but there are a lot of missing hardware drivers that would make it not so great. The biggest being the forward camera/mic so no skype and hardware video (no HD YouTube, Netflix).

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Syrinxx posted:

There have been like 5 of them in SA-Mart in the last week. Just lowball those fools.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

Rastor posted:

No insight as to why, but shipments seem to be rolling in now. They've been appearing for a few minutes at a time on Newegg and Tiger Direct, and there are spotty reports of finding them at Office Depot, Best Buy, and Fry's.

A Best Buy that on Wednesday had no stock near me, had stock Thursday morning. I snapped it up for store pickup, so yeah, vigilance was the key.

MrMoose
Jan 4, 2003

Happy Happy Joy Joy

ModestMuse posted:

Yeah, this second one is FAR better than the first. Everything is amazingly smooth, it hasn't rebooted yet, no backlight bleed (which I had on the first one)... this is what I expected with the first.

From some of the research I've done, it sounds like the big issue with the upgrade is that ICS evidently clocks the processor up a bit higher, and that's causing some tablets to get unstable (not all of them, mind you -- but some are doing better when rooted and underclocked).

Hopefully they get the quality issues worked out before the tablet gets buried in bad reviews. When it works, it is amazing. Downloaded Shadowgun to test it out (returned it since I'm not much for shooters on a tablet) and the game looked ridiculous for a tablet while running exceptionally smooth. Much like the others posting here, I've never had an issue with Asus otherwise. I had an original EEEPC last for a couple of years before I passed it to a computer-less friend, I had an Asus ROG laptop for awhile that I sold to a friend after about 2 years, and no problems whatsoever.

Sounds like the rush to market really was the issue.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Frozen-Solid posted:

What really baffles me about this is that ASUS's other products are absolutely amazing. I own an ASUS desktop, a 2nd generation EEE PC, a G-series laptop, and now the Transformer Prime. The Prime is the first product that didn't have glowing reviews before buying it.

Unfortunately they're slipping as far as netbook quality goes to - I have a not too old 1215b which has a hilariously bad keyboard and shipped with a literally unusable trackpad (easy to fix if you open the case but still inexcusable)

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

dissss posted:

Unfortunately they're slipping as far as netbook quality goes to - I have a not too old 1215b which has a hilariously bad keyboard and shipped with a literally unusable trackpad (easy to fix if you open the case but still inexcusable)

How is Asus still in business when they make such lovely products? And why would you ever put up with a product you have to disassemble to make it functional?

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
I would send that poo poo back so fast it would make their head spin.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

eric posted:

How is Asus still in business when they make such lovely products? And why would you ever put up with a product you have to disassemble to make it functional?

Laziness mainly - it would have been an argument with the store for a refund or an up four week wait for it to be sent in and fixed. I actually used an external mouse for a while until I got annoyed enough to crack it open (yes I am a terrible consumer)

Well known problem too - guess the moral of the story is to read the read the relevant SH/SC megathread BEFORE buying rather than afterwards.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Since the Prime is kind of a cluster gently caress at the moment...are there any other Tegra 3 tablets expected in the next few months? I want to get a tablet, but I'm probably gonna hold out to see how that Vizio is (the one that debuted at CES to some decent previews).

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

BonoMan posted:

I want to get a tablet

iPad3 should be out in March. Quad core processor, retina display, LTE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

eric posted:

iPad3 should be out in March. Quad core processor, retina display, LTE.

Definitely gonna see what's in store there, but I just have a feeling it's gonna be a tad more expensive than what I want. We'll see.