Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

I'll reattach your arm when I hit fucking Level 2!

jng2058 posted:

fan reaction to Haley killing Crystal as "murder"

This is dumb. Those fans are dumb. Why are those fans dumb?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumppell
Nov 9, 2007

BrainWeasel posted:

Greedo shot first.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

BrainWeasel posted:

Beats me. I bailed out of the official GitP forums years ago. I needed a place to get less knee jerking and more reasonable discussion so I came HERE.

Make of that what you will. :rolleyes:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

BrainWeasel posted:

They can't think of events as anything other than discrete D&D 3.5 actions or points on a rigid alignment grid.

e: I was on the GitP forums for a few weeks, couldn't stand the place and I never even went into comic discussion because I knew what madness lurked yonder way.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
I really want to read the Dragon Tales book, and I already have the first four, so when he came out with a package of Dragon Tales and War and XPs, I figured I might as well give him money. If there's a three pack with those two and Don't Split the Party, I'll probably upgrade to that.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

BrainWeasel posted:

Honestly? Because kicking down the door of someone when they're naked and defenseless and shooting them dead in cold blood is pretty much murder, even if you don't like that person. Even if that person has tried to kill you before, and will again. Crystal wasn't threatening Haley. Crystal was under a truce and sworn not to try and hurt her. I understood why Haley did it, but that was loving murder.

Does Burlew have a Twitter or anything he responds to? I wanna beg for online versions of the books.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

CapnAndy posted:

Honestly? Because kicking down the door of someone when they're naked and defenseless and shooting them dead in cold blood is pretty much murder, even if you don't like that person. Even if that person has tried to kill you before, and will again. Crystal wasn't threatening Haley. Crystal was under a truce and sworn not to try and hurt her. I understood why Haley did it, but that was loving murder.

Does Burlew have a Twitter or anything he responds to? I wanna beg for online versions of the books.

Chaotic good people can murder every now and then. Not just because alignment systems are worthless. Not wanting to get killed by someone who will try to kill you the first chance they get is good enough.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

terminal mehmet posted:

Chaotic good people can murder every now and then. Just sayin'.

That isn't the argument, the argument was over whether it was murder or not.

Burlew didn't want it to seem like cold-blooded murder. He added strips to make Crystal even less sympathetic because he didn't want people to perceive Haley as a murderer. It has nothing to do with alignment at all.

I'm also surprised that no on has brought up the massive, massive argument that erupted on GitP for years over if Roy's attack on Miko after she murdered Shogo was justified. That delved into a level of crazy I've never seen, and I think its still a bannable offense to post a topic on "Is X morally justified?".

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Zore posted:

Burlew didn't want it to seem like cold-blooded murder. He added strips to make Crystal even less sympathetic because he didn't want people to perceive Haley as a murderer. It has nothing to do with alignment at all.

I'm also surprised that no on has brought up the massive, massive argument that erupted on GitP for years over if Roy's attack on Miko after she murdered Shogo was justified. That delved into a level of crazy I've never seen, and I think its still a bannable offense to post a topic on "Is X morally justified?".
Mentioning "Miko" and the words "alignment" or "justified" in the same sentence is basically a bannable offense there.

I avoid the GitP forums for the same reason I avoid the MSPA forums. Because the people who frequent them scare the ever-loving gently caress out of me. Say what you will about the mods being a bit trigger-happy, but SomethingAwful is by far my favorite forum. The community is dumb, but, with the exception of a few people and places, in much more managable ways, that actually encourages discussion, rather than makes you want to cleanse the servers with holy fire.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Zore posted:

I'm not allowed to say it doesn't matter?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

terminal mehmet posted:

Chaotic good people can murder every now and then.
Has there been either evidence or Word of God that Haley is CG? I always thought she was CN, though leaning good (giving a double meaning to her "I'm not good enough" hand-wringing when she was pining over Elan).

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
$194K so far. Good lord.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
RPG nerds can continue to indulge in their favorite past-time: Making the numbers go up. For $500 you can get a lot of swag.

Closing in on $200k, if the drive hits $300k then all the books will be in print, plus some more mystery prizes.

Edit: Beaten.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

NihilCredo posted:

Has there been either evidence or Word of God that Haley is CG? I always thought she was CN, though leaning good (giving a double meaning to her "I'm not good enough" hand-wringing when she was pining over Elan).
She has described herself as Chaotic Good(ish). So, she probably toes the line.

Z.S. Ghost
Jan 1, 2008

Odd Fire Wolf Gang
Pretty tempted to up my pledge to $26/29 (from $10) for Origin of PCs or Start of Darkness. Anyone know (a) if they'd be cheaper to buy back in print or (b) wanna recommend one over the other?

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Z.S. Ghost posted:

Pretty tempted to up my pledge to $26/29 (from $10) for Origin of PCs or Start of Darkness. Anyone know (a) if they'd be cheaper to buy back in print or (b) wanna recommend one over the other?

Start of Darkness is a fantastic book and will help explain a LOT about what's going on in the comic right now. Origin of PCs is also a good book, but I enjoyed Start of Darkness way more.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Colon V posted:

Saying you are chaotic good-ish is exactly what I figured a chaotic good rogue would say.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Z.S. Ghost posted:

SoD all the way. OoPC explains a bit but isn't actually all that interesting outside of Roy and his dad.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
What book is snips snails and dragon tails? Is it standalone or?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Agreed. On the Origin of PCs has some fun stuff, but is ultimately a bunch of single character vignettes. Start of Darkness, on the other hand, tells one long story about Xykon and Redcloak and includes some serious bad-assery.

if you're only getting one, get Start of Darkness.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Affi posted:

What book is snips snails and dragon tails? Is it standalone or?

It's a standalone out of continuity book that reprints the OOtS strips from Dragon Magazine. There's fun stuff in there, including a Julio Scoundrel story, the members of the main cast telling their versions of fairy tales, and especially the 3E vs 4E strips, but it has no impact on the main story.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

1: Start New Game
2: Start New Game
3: Start New Game

:aaa:
I just tossed in ten bucks. The comic has been on a roll lately and I'll read any extra stuff rich puts out. The man tells a hell of a story

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
SoD is definitely the best choice if you're picking up one book. OOTS is a series I knew about for awhile but the stick figure art turned of off of reading it. That changed really quickly when one of my friends showed me his copy of SoD.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Colon V posted:

I cannot properly express how happy I am to see that panel become an avatar.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Cabbit posted:

I cannot properly express how happy I am to see that panel become an avatar.
Thank 7c Nickel for making the gif. All I did was pay $5.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
How high do you figure the Kickstarter will go? I mean its still a whole (almost) month until we see the end. Is 300k possible?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Affi posted:

How high do you figure the Kickstarter will go? I mean its still a whole (almost) month until we see the end. Is 300k possible?

I'll be surprised if it doesn't reach 300k before the end of the weekend

Z.S. Ghost
Jan 1, 2008

Odd Fire Wolf Gang
Yeah, I mean, at some point we'll hit diminishing returns but I could easily see this hitting about $500k at the end.

e: During the writing of this sentence another $200 was raised and Mystery Prize #2 was hit.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Rumda posted:

I'll be surprised if it doesn't reach 300k before the end of the weekend

It's going up fast, but not that fast.

We'll have to wait until much later to find out what the mystery $222,222 prize is, though.

Rich Burlew posted:

New update will come later tonight; I need to go out and do real-life-type errands now. I thought I had at least until 6 pm today! FYI: There will be no new limited reward packages added today, so no one needs to wait around until then just to try to snag something.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Christ, the most successful Kickstarter comic drive from last year stopped just shy of $110k. The OotS drive has already blown it away twice over.

Maybe you've seen this, a graph of comic Kickstarters from last year by dollars and % of goal.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

IMJack posted:

Christ, the most successful Kickstarter comic drive from last year stopped just shy of $110k. The OotS drive has already blown it away twice over.

Maybe you've seen this, a graph of comic Kickstarters from last year by dollars and % of goal.

That is absolutely insane. Also I got a reply from Rich saying there were probably going to be reward levels where you could pick all the books except for Start of Darkness and Origins (for those of us who only had them)

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

IMJack posted:

This doesn't even include poorcraft.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

HKR posted:

This doesn't even include poorcraft.

Presumably that's because Poorcraft is from December 2009, which is not 2011 (or 2010!)

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Niton posted:

Presumably that's because Poorcraft is from December 2009, which is not 2011 (or 2010!)

jesus has it been that long?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

HKR posted:

jesus has it been that long?

I figured Poorcraft would be out by now.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
Welp, in for $35. Once I realized the orders included shipping, it felt like a much easier choice since the books wind up cheaper than if you ordered them + the PDFs seperately!

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Just in case you needed more incentive to throw in :10bux: than O-chul's freakin' backstory AND a special, high-detail story featuring Julio Scoundrel, you should know that the second Mystery Prize has been unlocked.

Now alongside those stories everybody with at least a $10 pledge will get to read Dim Sun, an copyright-friendly alternate universe story where the Order of the Stick adventure in a desert land that hates all that is good and living. And Durkon has no beard. And V is a...bug...thing.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

DrakePegasus posted:

Just in case you needed more incentive to throw in :10bux: than O-chul's freakin' backstory AND a special, high-detail story featuring Julio Scoundrel, you should know that the second Mystery Prize has been unlocked.

Now alongside those stories everybody with at least a $10 pledge will get to read Dim Sun, an copyright-friendly alternate universe story where the Order of the Stick adventure in a desert land that hates all that is good and living. And Durkon has no beard. And V is a...bug...thing.

Also, that :10bux: buys you the 3 other stories that are going to be chosen by the $1,250 donors, so you'll wind up with a total of six (6!) stories - it's an insane deal. We don't know what those stories are going to be, but I would place money on Tsukiko being one of them given how the comic's gone recently.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

DrakePegasus posted:

This is a variation on the old Dark Sun universe where everything is meaner and more violent. V is a Thri-kreen, a race of sentient bug warriors. Thri-kreen are probably the best thing about the Dark Sun setting, so I'm pleased by this revelation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Niton posted:

Also, that :10bux: buys you the 3 other stories that are going to be chosen by the $1,250 donors, so you'll wind up with a total of six (6!) stories - it's an insane deal. We don't know what those stories are going to be, but I would place money on Tsukiko being one of them given how the comic's gone recently.

Sorry but it's going to be Tarquin, Malack and probably like Miko. (first two are cool)