Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know

Travakian posted:

All good. Slight change to my last post-- you don't need a third-party tool, it just simplifies things.

If you're concerned about potentially giving access to your account to an outsider, download Thunderbird and bring all your email in via IMAP then find a plugin or tool that can make a backup/archive of everything from there.

That is an even better idea as I had planned to switch to Tbird. I have seriously dreaded doing this and have been putting it off for months. The sheer amount of time it was going to take to archive all that data was nearly giving me the bends. Thanks again. :)

I should wander over to the 'Post things that make you feel old' thread to post about how I turned from a complete nerd with mastery over applications all and sundry, into... this old thing that feels lost in a sea of poo poo she doesn't understand anymore. :sun:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?
I've been reading technical documentation recently and noticed that sometimes when a number is mentioned, its numeral is used first and then a spelled out version of the number (i.e. The environment contains four (4) web front end servers).

Is there a point to doing this? The reason I ask is because I'm writing some similar documentation and have been using that same convention, but am not really sure WHY I'm doing it. I want to avoid looking stupid by using it wrong.

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

Dudebro posted:

What's the medical name for the therapeutic treatment where adhesive pads are placed on the skin in various spots to stimulate muscles through gentle electric pulses?

You're looking for tens pads / electrode pads. I can't recommend a specific brand over another, but a friend of mine worked as a physio aide for a few years-- I can ask for a brand name later today, if you'd like.

Jeffrey Colon posted:

I've been reading technical documentation recently and noticed that sometimes when a number is mentioned, its numeral is used first and then a spelled out version of the number (i.e. The environment contains four (4) web front end servers).

Is there a point to doing this? The reason I ask is because I'm writing some similar documentation and have been using that same convention, but am not really sure WHY I'm doing it. I want to avoid looking stupid by using it wrong.

From my understanding, if your grasp on English isn't the greatest chances are you'll still recognize (12) even if you won't be able to grok 'twelve'-- also, easier to pick up at a quick glance, if you're skimming it.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
Also, I imagine that, for technical and legal and commercial documents, writing a number twice in different formats makes it much more glaring in case you write it incorrectly. If you fat finger a zero, having written "We would like to order ten (100) units" is a lot easier to notice a problem with than "We would like to order 100 units". Likewise, "This must be within a tolerance of thirty five (38) millimeters". While you might mess up a digit, you're very unlikely to mess up the text, and you're much more unlikely to mess up both.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Silver Alicorn posted:

Any space goons out there that can tell me if I have this right? Orbital maneuvers don't exactly make front page news.

NASA used to have a java applet on its website called J-Pass that would track satellite and spacecraft transits, but I can't seem to find it anywhere now. It definitely did space shuttle and ISS passes, so it's possible that they'd include the Progress M-14M as well if it's still around. Difficult to say, but I guess it's possible. It was launched at about 3PM on the 25th PST, but they're apparently doing some engine testing between then and when they dock with the ISS. I kind of doubt that you would be able to see rocket thrusters from that distance, however.

It could have been some satellite or another though, since you can clearly see those on a dark night. They can be quite bright when the sun is reflecting off of them, and then suddenly wink out when they get behind the earth's shadow. If it was traveling in a generally westerly direction then that would make sense, since the sun would be rising a ways to the east at that time.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

A while back I saw a post on either Kelly's Cool Tools, Lifehacker or similar about what amounted to professional film-industry blu tak. The post mentioned that they used it to hang heavy paintings and decorations in historic or rented properties where nails and permanent marks were a no-no.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about or what this product is called? I remember that it was fairly expensive but VERY useful.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
I have personally used this to hang paintings on film sets:

http://www.filmtools.com/joststclbual.html

remember, our stuff isn't permanent though, so if you intend to leave it up for a long time this isn't your solution.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
A young friend has a business plan of moving out to a podunk town in a super-conservative area of the state to start her own pot-growing operation. She's lived in San Francisco her entire life and knows next to nothing about the area.

Is there a serious reason to try to dissuade her from this, and what would I even say? She's my friend, but she's the kind of young adult that would probably just ignore it.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

This question is about the recent (2007) MS Office switch to Calibri/Cambria. I used to be upset/confused that they were using a sans-serif font for body text, but then I saw this - interesting!

Wikipedia posted:

In print, sans-serif fonts are used for headlines rather than for body text. The conventional wisdom holds that serifs help guide the eye along the lines in large blocks of text. Sans-serifs, however, have acquired considerable acceptance for body text in Europe.

Sans-serif fonts have become the de facto standard for body text on-screen, especially online. This is partly because interlaced displays may show twittering on the fine details of the horizontal serifs. Additionally, the low resolution of digital displays in general can make fine details like serifs disappear or appear too large.
So I guess their thought is, folks don't print stuff no more, so why not adapt for screen use and use sans-serif for body. Okay, I'll accept it.

So my ongoing question (rant?) is this: Why did they abandon super-established the fonts Arial and Times for these fonts? Every computer ever has arial. Why not use arial.
I'm not under the illusion that microsoft ever gives a gently caress about backwards/universal compatibility, but, well, shouldn't they consider other computers possibly not having these new (and IMO kinda crappy) fonts?

Side-question: when the hell did helvetica stop shipping with windows?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

alnilam posted:

Side-question: when the hell did helvetica stop shipping with windows?

I don't know that it ever has. The default sans serif font in Windows used to be Arial, which is very similar to Helvetica. Calibri is the default now, though Arial is still available.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
There are people who can go deep, deep into typography - I work with one - but the simplest answer is: Microsoft owns Calibri/Cambria. They don't have to pay royalties to anyone when they ship with it, like they did with Helvetica.

My typography buddy says that Calibri/Cambria were designed to be good "generic" fonts. They look good on-screen and on paper, if you print them out. They're about as boring of fonts as you can get, but work surprisingly well in a number of different situations.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

KittenofDoom posted:

A young friend has a business plan of moving out to a podunk town in a super-conservative area of the state to start her own pot-growing operation. She's lived in San Francisco her entire life and knows next to nothing about the area.

Is there a serious reason to try to dissuade her from this, and what would I even say? She's my friend, but she's the kind of young adult that would probably just ignore it.

If she intends to do it legally (i.e. be a medical-marijuana supplier), she needs to be aware of the hundreds of hoops she'll need to jump through in order to stay on the right side of the law. Violations of the legal-marijuana regulations lead to fines way larger than the profit she'll be making. I just saw something on the absurdity of the regulations surrounding medical marijuana; if I can remember where I'll edit the link in.

If she doesn't intend to do it legally, make fun of her for getting her life plans from Weeds and Breaking Bad remind her that when she gets caught, she's going to be charged with a ridiculously-large count of possession with intent to distribute and will probably go to jail. Also, no, seriously, remind her that Weeds and Breaking Bad have protagonists that win only because they're fictional characters and have scriptwriters, which is why it's not "if she gets caught" but "when she gets caught", especially in a conservative podunk town.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

RaoulDuke12 posted:

I have personally used this to hang paintings on film sets:

http://www.filmtools.com/joststclbual.html

remember, our stuff isn't permanent though, so if you intend to leave it up for a long time this isn't your solution.

That's the stuff! Thanks.

It's for hanging stuff on my office door which is plain painted, non-metallic metal.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

alnilam posted:

Sans-serif fonts have become the de facto standard for body text on-screen, especially online. This is partly because interlaced displays may show twittering on the fine details of the horizontal serifs. Additionally, the low resolution of digital displays in general can make fine details like serifs disappear or appear too large.
Where are there interlaced displays on computers (or even HDTVs) any more? That seems outdated.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS

helopticor posted:

Copying the text in your post into google verbatim suggests it's either TENS or maybe EMS.

Thanks. I'll just use EMS or NMES. It's not for me buying any product. I just have to put on a form what kinds of treatments I'm getting and no one ever mentions the name of it at the therapist's office.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

change my name posted:

Has anyone had any experience with taking zinc for acne? I've heard it works and I really want to help my sister out so she can stop ordering all this proactive poo poo

I take zinc for mild acne and it doesn't get rid of it completely but there is definitely a noticeable difference in the size and duration of breakouts so I say go for it.

She really should see a dermatologist though if she hasn't already. There are all kinds of medications (not just the dangerous ones that make you suicidal) and it may just be a matter of taking an antibiotic for 12 weeks.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
Does the TSA not allow S&M gear as carry-on? Like, say, whips and chains and such. Just... curious...

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/06/17/TRHF1JL2NM.DTL#ixzz1Pq7dW3sP

Yes.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

what do you call the + shaped tool for tightening and loosening the bolts on a tire

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Black Noise posted:

what do you call the + shaped tool for tightening and loosening the bolts on a tire

Tire iron?

wikipedia: " The term is occasionally mistakenly used to refer to a lug wrench"

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Lug wrench.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Black Noise posted:

Tire iron

e: I don't care what wikipedia says. :colbert:

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

Besesoth posted:

If she intends to do it legally (i.e. be a medical-marijuana supplier), she needs to be aware of the hundreds of hoops she'll need to jump through in order to stay on the right side of the law. Violations of the legal-marijuana regulations lead to fines way larger than the profit she'll be making. I just saw something on the absurdity of the regulations surrounding medical marijuana; if I can remember where I'll edit the link in.

Was it from this Cracked article?
http://www.cracked.com/article_19609_5-horrible-things-nobody-tells-you-about-legally-growing-pot.html

Black Noise posted:

Spider-type lug wrench.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

So you mean that yes, they do allow it on

Kritzkrieg Kop
Nov 4, 2009
You probably have to look them in the eye and tell them what you use the stuff for.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
Anyone use Chrome and have a stream of web articles that you want to read, but need an easy way to open a page, store it, retrieve it, and then after reading, have the option to file as having been read? The last part isn't necessary, but would be nice. I don't like keeping a bunch of tabs open and I'd like to be able to have a streamlined process for going through my backlog of internet reading. What's the best way to do this? The articles generally come from my twitter feed and also links from other articles.

Dudebro fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jan 28, 2012

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Check out readability, it lets you build a reading list for later

http://www.readability.com/addons

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Dudebro posted:

Anyone use Chrome and have a stream of web articles that you want to read, but need an easy way to open a page, store it, retrieve it, and then after reading, have the option to file as having been read? The last part isn't necessary, but would be nice. I don't like keeping a bunch of tabs open and I'd like to be able to have a streamlined process for going through my backlog of internet reading. What's the best way to do this? The articles generally come from my twitter feed and also links from other articles.

Instapaper works nicely, too. Except when you hit the wrong bookmarklet and find a bunch of stray threads and amazon pages in your reading list.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Are there any good threads or external guides about backing things up?

I have recently been thinking a lot about what I do not want to ever loose and what I should be making backups of however I know there will be a guide or thread around that will have thought of things I didn't or better ways to do it.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010

El_Elegante posted:

Check out readability, it lets you build a reading list for later

http://www.readability.com/addons

Zenostein posted:

Instapaper works nicely, too. Except when you hit the wrong bookmarklet and find a bunch of stray threads and amazon pages in your reading list.

Great. Thanks for the quick responses, guys. I'll try it readability first and if it's unsatisfactory, I'll try out Instapaper. I love everything about the readability design.

Hmm, trying readability but clicking "read later" from the little couch icon doesn't do anything to my readability account. Sending e-mail links does work. "Read now" doesn't do anything either. Does this work on all operating systems?

edit: Oh, apparently I was doing it wrong :doh: I have to use the bookmarklets. What's the couch icon for then?

Dudebro fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jan 28, 2012

Coffee Wolf
Oct 12, 2007

Mmmmm Banana

Xandu posted:

Lug wrench.

The correct name is "Where the gently caress is that drat loving thing I swear I had it in here!!"

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

No, because I remember seeing the Cracked article and thinking "hey, I just read about that!"

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
edit never mind

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

The Aphasian posted:

That's the stuff! Thanks.

It's for hanging stuff on my office door which is plain painted, non-metallic metal.

I don't know what this non-metallic metal you speak of is, but again, it's not a permanent solution. You will at some point arrive to your office in the morning to find all your stuff on the floor. We use it because it leaves no residue or marks and is generally reliable over the course of a film shoot, which is generally less than a week if it's on location.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

RaoulDuke12 posted:

I don't know what this non-metallic metal you speak of is, but again, it's not a permanent solution. You will at some point arrive to your office in the morning to find all your stuff on the floor. We use it because it leaves no residue or marks and is generally reliable over the course of a film shoot, which is generally less than a week if it's on location.

I meant non-magnetic. I am a moron.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
How do vending machine economics work? Do you generally buy one and put it up on your own property and take care of it yourself? Or do people rent out the space to a company that refills/collects from them on some sort of schedule?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ShadowHawk posted:

How do vending machine economics work? Do you generally buy one and put it up on your own property and take care of it yourself? Or do people rent out the space to a company that refills/collects from them on some sort of schedule?

Often, the vending machine company pays you to have it on site, but then you don't get the money from it directly - and outsiders will handle refill.. Other times, you own the machine and order stock for it yourself, restock it yourself, and keep all the money payed in less the cost of ordering the stock.

Caerus
Sep 23, 2003

Hold aces!
This is going to sound stupid because I don't know anything about video cameras etc, but why is is that really high quality video can look better than looking at the same thing in real life? Is it mostly because they make the colors more "rich" or something else?

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Caerus posted:

This is going to sound stupid because I don't know anything about video cameras etc, but why is is that really high quality video can look better than looking at the same thing in real life? Is it mostly because they make the colors more "rich" or something else?

Well high quality video is a combination of a good camera but also good conditions: perfect lighting suited exactly to the camera's needs, with all the settings and filters applied to make the colors perfect and not washed out.

Your eyes are capable of seeing things as prettily as the camera presents them, but you don't have someone spending hours setting up ideal lighting conditions for you everywhere you go. Also, yeah, there's color enhancement and other tricks for making a pretty video prettier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT
I saw a TV commercial for this keyboard:

Something stirs inside me, desiring this ugly keyboard and its phosphorescent, large-fonted yellow glory.

It's quite a deal, at $15 for two keyboards and 2 mice ($30 shipped), with the bonus feature of Cheetoe dust and Mountain Dew being almost invisible against the high contrast.

Surely someone here has dropped the cash and bought one of these. Was it worth it?

Here's the website (Beware a video that autoplays):
https://www.getezeyes.com

For that matter, I'll take any other equally-cheap and equally-ugly keyboard suggestions. I'm sick of black, beige, and grey options.