Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Surfingelectrode posted:

Sold it to raise some money for New Years in OKC.

I woulda ate it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Marijuana brain sounds nasty to me.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Surfingelectrode posted:

Sold it to raise some money for New Years in OKC.

At this point I honestly believe they should just give you some kind of job.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
Was Zaireeka released in the 4 disc format on record, or is it the stereo mixdown?

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.

Ron Burgundy posted:

Was Zaireeka released in the 4 disc format on record, or is it the stereo mixdown?

It never got an official vinyl release. The one I've got is a bootleg mixdown, which doesn't sound too bad.

CPL593H posted:

At this point I honestly believe they should just give you some kind of job.

They actually made me a mod on their official site when it relaunched a few months ago.

LtTennisBall posted:

How much of your collection is Flaming Lips, would you guess? Cause that's some (awesome) dedication.

The Lips stuff is maybe around 1/11th of my collection.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Just starting up my vinyl collection and have picked these up over the past few days.

Been looking for some Sunn O))) on vinyl but couldn't find any at Cheapies in Hamilton, ON. Anyone in the area know where I might find some or am I going to have to mail order it from Southern Lord?

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

Le Saboteur posted:

Just starting up my vinyl collection and have picked these up over the past few days.

Been looking for some Sunn O))) on vinyl but couldn't find any at Cheapies in Hamilton, ON. Anyone in the area know where I might find some or am I going to have to mail order it from Southern Lord?

Your best bet would be to mail order from Southern Lord, but I've seen Sunn records (Monoliths and Dimensions) in record stores near me (Baltimore, MD), so it's not as if they don't exist.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Speaking of Southern Lord, just put this on:

Found it in Bellingham a month or so ago, fantastic album. I'm super excited to hit up the album release show for Angels of Darkness, Demons of Light II. Haven't seen Earth live since 2008.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

Le Saboteur posted:

Good choice with the Wild Flag! That was my album of the year.

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

I'm a little sad that I'll never have that much Flaming Lips vinyl. I picked up the debut EP for a steal on ebay the other week but it's the purple variant which is a later pressing I think.

In new vinyl news I managed to get the repress of the blue album which is just lovely.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

FancyMike posted:

Speaking of Southern Lord, just put this on:

Found it in Bellingham a month or so ago, fantastic album. I'm super excited to hit up the album release show for Angels of Darkness, Demons of Light II. Haven't seen Earth live since 2008.

When I saw them at Hopscotch people talked the whole fuckin time :(

Any idea where I can pre-order II on vinyl?

edit: VVV maybe they should have left :)

alg fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jan 26, 2012

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

alg posted:

When I saw them at Hopscotch people talked the whole fuckin time :(

In defense of the crowd, Earth were boring as poo poo compared to the other bands that played before them at Kings that night.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

alg posted:

Any idea where I can pre-order II on vinyl?

It's listed as "coming soon" on Southern Lord's website, though I can't remember if they do preorders. They probably do, but they aren't up as of yet.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

alg posted:

edit: VVV maybe they should have left :)

I mean, that's what I did. It was a poor scheduling call by the festival, I think-- maybe old-school Earth would have fit the lineup that night, but after the intensity and dynamics of Liturgy, they just sounded puny.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

chime_on posted:

I mean, that's what I did. It was a poor scheduling call by the festival, I think-- maybe old-school Earth would have fit the lineup that night, but after the intensity and dynamics of Liturgy, they just sounded puny.

Yeah, I agree, but I think people should also not talk during a show. For some reason Kings became 'the place to be' for folks who weren't at the festival to listen to music :(

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

I saw Earth open for Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds. Not quite what a lot in the crowd were expecting, but nobody around me was really talking, though to be fair I was real close to the front. It was also in pretty much the worst venue in the city and when Godspeed played there were a ton of people in the bar chatting it up and since that's about where I was it turned out to be a pretty unremarkable show.

As for pre-ordering the new Earth record I guess there's this:
http://www.amazon.com/Angels-Darkness-Demons-Light-Purple/dp/B006OW0OMW/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1327599480&sr=8-7
Seems expensive, but I didn't get a colored edition of 1, mine's only black. I'll probably just pick up the new one at the release show.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

What is the etiquette for asking people to shut the gently caress up at a concert? I was seeing a show once and it seemed like the entire audience was made up of early 20s kids and they all had their phones out and were texting the entire time which is irritating but I can ignore it as it doesn't interfere with hearing the band. There was a group of people behind me talking for a solid 15 mins about what party they were going to after the show and I finally turned around and asked them to go outside if they were going to talk all night. I definitely got a "gently caress off grandpa" look from them.

I'm not that guy that wears the "Shut Up When The Band Is Playing" shirt but seriously, you paid for this show. Why are you talking the whole time?

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

I Might Be Adam posted:

What is the etiquette for asking people to shut the gently caress up at a concert? I was seeing a show once and it seemed like the entire audience was made up of early 20s kids and they all had their phones out and were texting the entire time which is irritating but I can ignore it as it doesn't interfere with hearing the band. There was a group of people behind me talking for a solid 15 mins about what party they were going to after the show and I finally turned around and asked them to go outside if they were going to talk all night. I definitely got a "gently caress off grandpa" look from them.

I'm not that guy that wears the "Shut Up When The Band Is Playing" shirt but seriously, you paid for this show. Why are you talking the whole time?

This reminds me of a funny story from the Grinderman show I was at last year. The back half or so of the theater was normal theater seating with the floor/pit being standing room or whatever and right in the middle of the seated area a couple folks decide to stand to watch the show. The person behind took exception to this and tried to get them to sit back down and not block the view. I'm not sure who started the actual aggression but there was some pushing and I think a few punches thrown. I didn't pay a ton of attention but it was pretty hilarious watching actual adults act that way.

I can't really recommend a good way to ask people to be quiet at a show, but being all quiet and angry about it until you can't take it then snapping at someone to 'shut the gently caress up' probably isn't the best. Most folks aren't going to react positively to that kind of confrontation and it's probably best to be polite about it if it's an actual distraction. Alternatively, go see louder bands.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Yeah, I didn't snap or anything. It was a pretty loud show so it's weird when you're enjoying a band and you can hear the people behind you shouting to each other about what to do after the show.

Some friends of mine had the awkward experience of seeing two really hosed up people trying to gently caress each other in the assigned seating of a NIN show. Someone else finally complained and they got kicked out apparently.

Another friend of mine finally called it quits on stadium sized shows because he and his gf got into an argument at a U2 show with the people behind them. U2 was playing a crowd pleaser and the majority of the people in their section stood up from their seats so they did as well to you know "be a part of the show and enjoy the concert" and the people behind them got all bitchy because they were blocking their view of the giant screens or something. I don't understand why most people bother going to concerts. If you're just going to sit and drink beer and watch the show on a giant screen, just wait until the concert DVD comes out.

Love Like Blood
Sep 9, 2009
Things like these mean I hardly ever really enjoy larger shows. Best thing about punk shows is that everyone is stood up and drunk and covered in lager and bootmarks by the end of the night.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Unfortunately, for the past 15 years, my response to increasingly lovely crowds is to just not go to concerts anymore. For the price of the tickets, the high (almost 100%) potential for aggravation just isn't worth it to me.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I Might Be Adam posted:

Yeah, I didn't snap or anything. It was a pretty loud show so it's weird when you're enjoying a band and you can hear the people behind you shouting to each other about what to do after the show.

Some friends of mine had the awkward experience of seeing two really hosed up people trying to gently caress each other in the assigned seating of a NIN show. Someone else finally complained and they got kicked out apparently.

Another friend of mine finally called it quits on stadium sized shows because he and his gf got into an argument at a U2 show with the people behind them. U2 was playing a crowd pleaser and the majority of the people in their section stood up from their seats so they did as well to you know "be a part of the show and enjoy the concert" and the people behind them got all bitchy because they were blocking their view of the giant screens or something. I don't understand why most people bother going to concerts. If you're just going to sit and drink beer and watch the show on a giant screen, just wait until the concert DVD comes out.

Yeah, the last few concerts I went to have kind of put me off concerts. I saw Roger Waters during the Wall tour last year and this dickhead behind me was playing with his phone, talking to his friends the whole time, and just generally being a distraction to anyone around trying to watch the show while also not paying attention to the stage. Oh and the tickets were 142 dollars. The guy sitting next to me asked him to quiet down and during the intermission his friends had to talk him down from fighting the man who reasonably asked him to not be a douche. It's also worth noting that these weren't a kids, these guys were in their loving 40s. The concert I went to before that was just a gallery of cunts and I had people purposely blocking my view for no other reason than I was shorter than them and I politely asked if there was room near them so I could see. At this point I pretty much judge if should go by considering if my love for whatever band is playing outweighs the awful people who go to concerts.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

I'm really tall so I always feel bad about going to small standing room only shows. I have a rule that I follow that may or may not relieve me of being a jerk. If I show up late, I try not to push in front of anyone as to block their view. I'll chill at the back. If I want to be closer to the stage, I wait for the audience to clear out between bands and I move forward. If you stand behind me, I'm sorry but I was there long before you walked in and decided that you needed to be close to the stage right as the band is going on. I get a lot of dirty looks when people get behind me. I had one girl ask me to move aside so I wouldn't block her view. There was no where to go and if there was, I would have just blocked someone else's. I feel bad but I paid for a ticket too. I'll gladly let you get in front if there is room but I'm not going to move behind you and your 8 friends.

:words: Concerts...

I'm on track to getting every Deerhoof record but to be a completist, I'll need to buy up all of these collaboration 7in records they've been putting out. I bought one with Xiu Xiu and it didn't get more than 1 listen from me. I don't know how I feel about buying something just to have the whole collection.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Yeah I always keep my tallness in mind when I'm at a show :shobon:

I really don't go to large shows, the one I was talking about was maybe 200 people but it was at the end of the night so there were a ton of drunk girls just talking.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

I Might Be Adam posted:

I'm on track to getting every Deerhoof record but to be a completist, I'll need to buy up all of these collaboration 7in records they've been putting out. I bought one with Xiu Xiu and it didn't get more than 1 listen from me.

That's a killer collaboration (as in, they used/sang each others songs) so I don't get this at all :colbert:

In fact, the new Xiu Xiu album was going to be like that when Zac Pennington (of Parenthetical Girls) and Sam Mickens (of The Dead Science) joined Xiu Xiu: All three of them (well, four with Angela Seo) singing and writing, but that fell through after they apparently had a large falling out after a recent tour together, prompting Zac and Sam to leave the band (quietly, with only a single tweet saying they left the band between them). Supposedly this was after the completion of the album, but after they left they wanted their part in the album (singing, perhaps some of the songs) taken off the record.

The new Xiu Xiu album sounds like Jamie Stewart and Angela Seo made new versions of the songs they'd made as a four piece band and it kinda shows. Which sucks because that Deerhoof/Xiu Xiu collab had that song where all four of them sang and it was brilliant. I love that song.

What could've been :(

I really want to make a Xiu Xiu thread for the new album, but I don't think there's enough interest.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Dissapointed Owl posted:

That's a killer collaboration (as in, they used/sang each others songs) so I don't get this at all :colbert:

Oops, I should have explained that it only got one listen out of me because I'm not a big fan of 7"s and I can't be bothered to put one on due to the need to flip it/change it every 3 mins. The song is good. I'll probably end up buying them but for me to buy them and put them in a box and rarely listening to them is weird but I guess that's part of collecting.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

I Might Be Adam posted:

Oops, I should have explained that it only got one listen out of me because I'm not a big fan of 7"s and I can't be bothered to put one on due to the need to flip it/change it every 3 mins. The song is good. I'll probably end up buying them but for me to buy them and put them in a box and rarely listening to them is weird but I guess that's part of collecting.

I feel the same way. I've got a lot of Xiu Xiu 7" splits and I've only listened to them once or maybe twice. Which is a shame because I'm sure the songs would grow on me were it not for the fact that... well, as you said. 7" singles are a nuisance to me.

Wronkos
Jan 1, 2011

Watch out SHAQ ATTACK IN THE BARGAIN BIN

It was right behind Illmatic :)
Picked it up along with some Joy Division

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I've got a few extra bucks laying around and I'm probably going to get one of these:
http://www.soundstagedirect.com/walker-audio-proscenium-black-diamond-turntable-III-vinyl-lp-turntables.shtml

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

CPL593H posted:

I've got a few extra bucks laying around and I'm probably going to get one of these:
http://www.soundstagedirect.com/walker-audio-proscenium-black-diamond-turntable-III-vinyl-lp-turntables.shtml

Looks good. I'll go raid the couch and the small compartments in my car.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Im gonna see if my wife will let us add a second mortgage so I can snag one.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

RizieN posted:

Im gonna see if my wife will let us add a second mortgage so I can snag one.

I'm sure the both of you can get by on one kidney apiece.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
Not if you intend to get a comparable cart.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The second thing I would do after I bought that piece of beauty would be to plug it into a TV with some lovely speakers and take pictures, and post those pictures to every audiophile forum I could find, just to watch them flip out.

The first, of course, would be to drive home to my mansion in my Lambo with my wife, Scarlett Johannson.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

Yoshifan823 posted:

The second thing I would do after I bought that piece of beauty would be to plug it into a TV with some lovely speakers and take pictures, and post those pictures to every audiophile forum I could find, just to watch them flip out.

The first, of course, would be to drive home to my mansion in my Lambo with my wife, Scarlett Johannson.

Make sure you proclaim it to be 'useless for scratching' for added effect.

adjective_noun
Jan 5, 2007

Antony played guitaaaaaaaaar!!

klonkadonk posted:

It was right behind Illmatic :)
Picked it up along with some Joy Division

Joy Division and Illmatic in the bargain bin? I wanna visit your record store.

I just ordered the new Cloud Nothings and it doesn't arrive for another two weeks! Guess it's a manufacturing thing cause it just came out. I wanna hear me some Albini produced vinyl!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Yoshifan823 posted:

I don't think it's meant to play records. I think you're supposed to place it on a golden altar and masturbate in front of it.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.

CPL593H posted:

klonkadonk posted:

Gentlemen, we have a mission :clint:

e. love the new thread title

MIDWIFE CRISIS fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jan 28, 2012

Wronkos
Jan 1, 2011

Admiral Goodenough posted:

Gentlemen, we have a mission :clint:

I don't really want it anymore, mission aborted :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
I'm picking up my newly renovated player tomorrow (:woop:), but it's too wide to put in the bookshelf with the rest of the stereo so I need to put it somewhere else. Are there extension cords for this purpose? I was going to ask in the store, but I thought it would be better if I had a look-around online first.

e. something like this should work right?

MIDWIFE CRISIS fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jan 28, 2012