Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

NihilCredo posted:

Any particular reason you're not considering Logitech mice?

I used a G9x before my sidewinder, I wasn't hugely impressed, and it didn't last as long as it should have. Logitech gear strikes me as the cheap and cheerful kind. None of their current mice grab me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Never used a G9x, but all my logitech gear has been retired before breaking. Can't help with none of their mice grabbing you, though.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Dogen posted:

Never used a G9x, but all my logitech gear has been retired before breaking. Can't help with none of their mice grabbing you, though.

The G9x is pretty much the best mouse Logitech makes. It was decent, but when I upgraded from my G9x to my sidewinder, it felt like a significant step up in every respect.

When I retired my G9x, after around 2 years of use, the surface of the wide grip had begun to peel. I didn't like the smaller grip, although my friend did, and so I gave my G9x to him.

My sidewinder has never shown any signs of wear and tear on the surface, but as I mentioned earlier I'm sick and tired of the lacklustre charging cable attachment. Going back to a G9x would be a step down, so therefore I need to find a non Logitech mouse which would be a step up.

I suppose I could be convinced to get a wireless mouse with a recharging system again if it had a proper mini USB slot instead of the sidewinder's lovely magnetic clip; and also if it had a proven track record of being a high quality wireless mouse with no latency.

Unfortunately very few wireless mice meet all the necessary criteria - gaming features, recharge system, etc. The Logitech M950 has a great shape, and a great surface finish, but lacks gaming functionality like selectable DPI; and I've heard bad things about the build quality of razer mice, so I'm left with choosing a wired mouse.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

The G700 actually fulfills every single one of your criteria.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!
Not to mention Logitech will replace most warranty issues no questions asked. The issues you had with the G9X? They would have replaced it.

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Highly trained by the US military at expedient semen processing.
Looking at replacing my mx518 with another mx518. But I need a replacement mousepad. Hoping to get one bigger than the standard size you see at walmart. Plus one that doesn't slip on glass so much.

http://www.amazon.com/SteelSeries-QcK-Gaming-Mouse-Black/dp/B000UEZ36W/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1327172940&sr=1-6

I had this in mind. Is this recommened for a glass desktop?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

HClChicken posted:

Looking at replacing my mx518 with another mx518. But I need a replacement mousepad. Hoping to get one bigger than the standard size you see at walmart. Plus one that doesn't slip on glass so much.

http://www.amazon.com/SteelSeries-QcK-Gaming-Mouse-Black/dp/B000UEZ36W/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1327172940&sr=1-6

I had this in mind. Is this recommened for a glass desktop?

Just so you know, don't get another mx518. Get a G400. It's the mx518's replacement and it's got the same body style but with better features in every way. For what it's worth, the opinion of at least one random dude on the internet is that I've tried almost every mouse in this thread and I think the G400 beats them all. It's super comfortable and supports all types of grips (palm, claw, etc.) and the included software is awesome and lets you completely customize everything about it. It's amazing.

Plus it's only like $50.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jan 21, 2012

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy
MX518 was discontinued last June. Any units still in the channel are being sold at inflated prices or are used.

For those who care, G400 units with PIDs higher than LZ13333 have had angle snapping removed. This makes it actually more accurate (or easier to be accurate with) than the MX518, because the sensor is not trying to help you draw straight lines anymore.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

NihilCredo posted:

The G700 actually fulfills every single one of your criteria.

Thought about that, I don't like the position of those buttons crowding the left mouse button.

Gristley Bear
May 16, 2007

METAL
In a previous post you said you liked a rubberized finish on your mouse. I noticed you also didn't mention the Razer Deathadder. Is there a specific reason for this? The current version has 3500 dpi and a rubberized shell. It also has no angle snapping.

Edit: I just went back and read that you heard razer mice aren't durable but I think that was before this current generation of mice. I've had a Deathadder since late 2009 and it still works perfectly. If that whole on-the-fly dpi switching is really important to you I'm not sure how you'll feel about the DA though, as you'd have to turn it over to hit the "on-the-fly" which I find quite counter-intuitive. However, it does fit every other criteria you have.

Gristley Bear fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Jan 23, 2012

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Gristley Bear posted:

In a previous post you said you liked a rubberized finish on your mouse. I noticed you also didn't mention the Razer Deathadder. Is there a specific reason for this? The current version has 3500 dpi and a rubberized shell. It also has no angle snapping.

Edit: I just went back and read that you heard razer mice aren't durable but I think that was before this current generation of mice. I've had a Deathadder since late 2009 and it still works perfectly. If that whole on-the-fly dpi switching is really important to you I'm not sure how you'll feel about the DA though, as you'd have to turn it over to hit the "on-the-fly" which I find quite counter-intuitive. However, it does fit every other criteria you have.

I will look into the Deathadder. A switch on the underside is adequate, I don't change DPI within a single game, only moving from a modern game to an older game that doesn't support modern higher resolutions.

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...

The Lord Bude posted:

SteeSeries Sensei: Everyone raves about this mouse, but the body doesn't seem sculpted enough for optimum comfort. My biggest concern is the slippery, shiny plastic surface, and the lack of on the fly DPS switching, though this isn't a dealbreaker, I only switch to lower dps when I'm playing an old game in DOSbox.

The top isn't slippery. It does however accumulate hand cheese like nothing I've ever seen before. The mouse also does have on the fly DPI switching. By default the DPI switcher is the triangular button below the scroll wheel but you probably want to bind it to a side button, since its not easy to click without taking your finger off the scroll wheel.

If you have ever used an Intellimouse 1.1 it feels like a wider, flatter version of that. If you imagine a 1.1 made of putty and you press a book down on it to flatten it a bit, then thats kind of what the Sensei is like. I prefer the taller, smaller 1.1 but you get used to the shape pretty easily by adjusting your grip. It happens naturally the more you use it.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

WanderingKid posted:

It does however accumulate hand cheese like nothing I've ever seen before.

Congrats. That made me giggle tremendously.

Huh...what you say
Jun 7, 2011

1-800-Hows-My-Incoherent-Rambling
Quick questions regarding logitech mice--is the g500 similar in shape and size to the g5? And would one conclude the g500 is a "claw" mouse or a "palm" mouse?

Huh...what you say fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jan 26, 2012

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I've been using a Logitech Performance MX at work for about half a year now. It's pretty good for the most part, but I was kinda looking for ergonomics, and I have a major problem with the mouse in that department.

When it comes to mice, I'm a palmer. My Razer Naga that I use at home has a chunk of plastic on the right side, a sort of "shelf" for your ring and pinky fingers to rest on. The Performance MX doesn't have this, and so I find myself either curling my ring and pinky fingers for a sort of half-claw grip (with the rest of my hand palming the mouse) or I let them dangle and drag across the desk. Neither method is entirely comfortable, and sometimes I'll find my hand aching a little bit because of this.

Are there any decent wireless ergonomic mice with a similar chunk of plastic (or other finger support) as part of their design?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Sweet Christ I just got a new mousepad and it's great (the gel in my lovely Belkin was crapping out). I got an Innovera gel wrist rest and pad, and the fabric feels much better, it doesn't smell like petroleum, and the laser on my g500 seems to track a bit better in some circumstances on the dark grey (I have heard that it has a problem with black fabric). Most importantly the gel is much better.

I tried using the surface of my galant (desk) and while an even better mousing surface, my hand has become accustomed to the gel rest after only a year and a half of use (compared to 20 years of mousing without one, lousy wrist).

hohoh0
Apr 5, 2003

TEH GRAPPLER
Just got my Steelseries Sensei. Loving it so far! It is much smoother than my G700 and has some of the best pathing I have seen on a mouse. Definitely recommend it if anyone is on the fence. My only criticism is the chrome surface gets kind of sticky if you are prone to hot/sweaty hands.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

hohoh0 posted:

Just got my Steelseries Sensei. Loving it so far! It is much smoother than my G700 and has some of the best pathing I have seen on a mouse. Definitely recommend it if anyone is on the fence. My only criticism is the chrome surface gets kind of sticky if you are prone to hot/sweaty hands.

What grip do you have? I have a fingertip grip, so I'm kind of on the fence.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Anyone have a good suggestion for a mousepad? My old intel hard top one is dying.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

Djarum posted:

Anyone have a good suggestion for a mousepad? My old intel hard top one is dying.

SteelSeries QcK is decent.

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

I bought a func archetype 1030 at least 5 years ago and easily put 1000+ hours on it. It's still working better than any other mousepad I've tried. I plan on getting a new one soon, looks like the only remaining source for them is amazon.

hohoh0
Apr 5, 2003

TEH GRAPPLER

Shogunner posted:

What grip do you have? I have a fingertip grip, so I'm kind of on the fence.

I'm fingertip as well--no problems here, although I find it difficult and awkward to accurately press the right side buttons.

IRSmurf
Mar 27, 2010

I've had the Razer Mamba, Razer DeathAdder, Razer Orochi, Logitech MX Revolution, Logitech MX518 and Microsoft Arc mice.

The Logitech MX Revolution was my favorite office mouse. It's a bit hefty, making it ill suited for gaming. But for everything work, it is incredibly smooth. It has the best wheel on any mouse.

The Logitech MX518 was an excellent mouse, but the DeathAdder was a better fit for my hand.

The Microsoft Arc is very compact and inexpensive. It expands (unfolds) when you use it. If you don't think you have room for a mouse in your bag, this is your mouse.

The Razer Orochi is the best bluetooth mouse I've used. It has an excellent sensor, but it's really only suitable for portable use. Unless you've got the hands of an iPhone assembler, this mouse is too small for gaming.

The Razer Mamba was a huge disappointment for me. The battery dies far too quickly and the body is too long, even for my large hands.

The Razer DeathAdder fits my hand like a glove. The wheel feels crisp for the first year, but loosens up over time. But the click never loses its spring. The mouse is the perfect length, the perfect height and the action is the perfect weight. I bought one in 2006, 2008, and 2011. I always think a new mouse will somehow improve upon the Deathadder, but there simply isn't a better gaming mouse for me. Thankfully, the latest model features a REAL braided cord... it's a noticeable improvement over older models.

The only way you'll find your ideal mouse is to game with it. Buy three mice from Amazon, try them out and then return two. Do yourself a favor and grab a cheap SteelSeries QcK Mini mousepad to go with it.

I ordered a SteelSeries Sensei directly from the manufacturer. They bungled the order very badly. They inexplicably refunded $2 from my $100 one week after ordering. They were out of communication for weeks around Christmas. They never responded to my questions, until a couple weeks later I received a PayPal refund for the rest of the money. I would have loved to have tried their mouse, but the experience defeated my interest.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
Does Logitech sell a mouse that's very similar in size and feel to the old MX1000 wireless mouse? It was like a La-Z-Boy for my goony hand :smith: I got one in 2004/5 I think and it was unbelievably good up until last year. Though the thing was a dream just a tad heavy and the wireless interference in my area is huge so it bugs out frequently. Do new wireless mice deal with that better?

I have a g500, but it's tiny for my hand and I have to claw the whole mouse, which is tiring after some time. Also the weird texturing captures hand oils very, very well and makes the thing feel greasy and no amount of hand washing or cleaning fixes it.

Unfortunately MX revolutions seem to be in short supply online and go for $200.

Torpor fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jan 29, 2012

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

I think the G500 is unfortunately the biggest mouse currently in production. I tried a G700 once and it wasn't bigger, although it felt a little taller.

You could try looking for a MX1100, it's more recent than the MX Revolution so you should have better luck (also it doesn't have any of the issues of the Rev), and it was quite bulky.

Fake edit: I actually found a comparison picture:

Real edit: I found several on eBay for 40-60€. There's a German guy with an auction ending in 18 hours for a used one, you might be able to score a nice price.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 29, 2012

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

NihilCredo posted:

I think the G500 is unfortunately the biggest mouse currently in production. I tried a G700 once and it wasn't bigger, although it felt a little taller.

You could try looking for a MX1100, it's more recent than the MX Revolution so you should have better luck (also it doesn't have any of the issues of the Rev), and it was quite bulky.

Fake edit: I actually found a comparison picture:

Is the Performance MX the same size as the revolution?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Looks like it. Note that the MX1100 and the Performance MX are two different mice, just in case you were confusing them.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Isn't the G9x bigger than the G500?

Zidrooner
Jul 20, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm looking for a new gaming mouse. Currently I have a Logitech G7, which I love, but it's starting to die. What I want is this, in order of importance:
-Wireless (I hate hate cord drag in games)
-Fast-swap batteries, like the G7 has. Do these even exist anymore? I haven't found a mouse that has them
-Fits in palm
-At least 1 thumb button
-I don't need DPI buttons. If the mouse has them they should be programmable
-Hopefully doesn't accumulate hand cheese like the G7

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Dogen posted:

I haven't used a G500, but the G9x is fairly small. Like a beefed up laptop mouse basically.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Dogen posted:

Quite the opposite.

This picture doesn't show it, but the G500 is also a lot taller.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Huh! I always just sort of assumed since usually the higher the model in Logitech, the bigger they are.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Well 9 < 500 so you weren't entirely wrong :v:

Sidone posted:

I'm looking for a new gaming mouse. Currently I have a Logitech G7, which I love, but it's starting to die. What I want is this, in order of importance:
-Wireless (I hate hate cord drag in games)
-Fast-swap batteries, like the G7 has. Do these even exist anymore? I haven't found a mouse that has them
-Fits in palm
-At least 1 thumb button
-I don't need DPI buttons. If the mouse has them they should be programmable
-Hopefully doesn't accumulate hand cheese like the G7

You can get a Marathon M705 mouse, it uses AA batteries, but it's a little on the small side so if you have big hands you won't palm it. The Performance MX and G700 are bigger, and while they don't have fast-swap batteries you can keep using them while the charging cable is connected - Google should tell you how long it takes for a full recharge.

Zidrooner
Jul 20, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NihilCredo posted:

You can get a Marathon M705 mouse, it uses AA batteries, but it's a little on the small side so if you have big hands you won't palm it. The Performance MX and G700 are bigger, and while they don't have fast-swap batteries you can keep using them while the charging cable is connected - Google should tell you how long it takes for a full recharge.

Thank you, the Performance MX seems to be what I'm looking for.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

NihilCredo posted:

Ha! Well, I chalk that up to the update being labeled G9x instead of G900, unlike the rest of the G series. I wonder if the G9 is going to get another update, seems like the top model mouse has been stagnant for a while. Although I am pretty happy with my G500.

falen55
Mar 15, 2006
Just wanted to throw in another +1 for the G500.
I went from using random $10 mice when I was younger to an MX510 with my last computer build. I loved the mouse dearly but had to pass it onto my parents when I gave them that computer. I replaced the MX510 with the G500, hoping that it would be as good as the 510. It surpassed it in every way and is my hands-down favourite mouse. The shape is perfect for my hand and, if you don't use any of the weights included, is very light.

However, in the last few weeks, after owning it for 2+ years, the left click button started intermittently double clicking during single clicks. I called up logitech support and they sent me a brand new replacement as it was still under warranty (3 years).

Anyways, I've tried other mice at stores and other places, but I just can't find anything better than the G500 for me. My friend owned a few razor mice, but I couldn't stand the shape and they broke on him after about 1 year of use.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Yeah it's been pretty much all downhill for me since I got my first MX518, I had a G5 for a while and got mad at its thumb button configuration and got a G500. It's been a pretty long run with the same basic mouse.

Raphiki
May 25, 2005

Political Gladiator
This is a review of my current mouse, why I want to replace it, and considerations for replacement.

Review

I currently have a Razer Diamondback. I have had it for a couple of years now, and I have to say that I freaking hate it, and I often want to break it against the wall.

I just want to list a few (probably known) pro's and con's for anyone wanting to buy this specific model or other Razor mice. (These are my opinions and observations)

Pro's (to be fair)
1. I have used and abused this mouse for the better part of 3 to 4 years now. It still works as well as it did the day I bought it.

2. Long Cord. This has been a very nice feature with the way I have arranged my tower/desk over the years.

3. I do like how my index and middle fingers lie on the mouse.

Con's
1. (My chief complaint) I have toggled every setting I can think of and experimented with it, when I move from one point to another, it goes quickly and smoothly, but when I try to go for a specifically smaller area, fine positional adjust, it always overshoots my target causing misclicks. I have been known to miss the x when closing a window. I have owned many other mice. This is the only one that does this. I used to think that it was a DPI or accelerator thing, but toggling them doesn't seem to solve the problem. This mouse sucks for FPS or other twitch gaming. It also sucks if working on photoshopping.

2. This mouse is a dirty whore. No really. I have never had a mouse collect so much dirt and grime as this mouse. The dirt and grime really hard to get off its gummy surfaces on the side and the rubber coating on the buttons. No matter how hard I try, I can not make it look nice. It reminds me of a huge green glowing piece of alien poo poo.

3. Razor software sucks a sweaty ballsack. However, it's great if you like feeling 12 again and your dad just bought you an Uber-High-Performance tower that you are never going to fully appreciate. It just doesn't seem clean or professional, and it's annoying to have that craptastic icon on your bar, even if you hide it - it's still there to annoy you later. I am not going to stare at the mouse settings for 2 years. I want to set it and forget about it. I don't need to see snakes on a motherfucking piece of software.

Why I want to replace (and haven't yet)

I hate this mouse with a passion. I wish I hadn't given my Logitech MX310 to my lady who has loved it for quite some time. The only reason I haven't upgraded already is a combo of being picky, not being able to finger gently caress mice before I buy, and fear of getting another piece of alien poo poo.

Now for my considerations for replacement.

I have been considering 1 of a couple of mice.

I like the look and reviews of the G9x. Although, some of the posts here and reviews elsewhere don't make me feel all warm and fuzzy. Especially never have tried it out. It's probably the mouse I am most interested in.

The MX Revolution. I have been able to play with it some, however I just don't see it being that great for gaming. Not to mention that it's wireless, and I don't know if I am ready to make that leap yet. I do really really like the feel of it in my hand and the ratcheting scroll wheel.

I have also been looking at the Cyborg RAT7. If for no other reason than it's so customizable.I wouldn't mind input on the RAT7 performance. (I know the physical features well, every owner with youtube has beaten that dead horse.)

I am still doing reading and watching of online reviews. Right now, I am indecisive.

Gristley Bear
May 16, 2007

METAL
Have you looked into the Deathadder or the Logitech G400?

I know you said you hate your current Razer mouse and hate their software, but with the DA you can set the drivers once and uninstall them as it saves on the mouse. The only downside to this is you can no longer use the on-the-fly dpi switch.

I haven't had a chance to use a G400 but it's gotten good reviews so far. Is there any reason specifically that you like the G9x?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Look around if there's a big electronics chain franchise that will have exposition mice so you can try them hands-on. MediaMarkt in most of Europe does that, there might be something similar elsewhere.