Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blooshoo
May 15, 2004
I'm a newbie

Noni posted:

I saw a TV commercial for this keyboard:

Something stirs inside me, desiring this ugly keyboard and its phosphorescent, large-fonted yellow glory.

It's quite a deal, at $15 for two keyboards and 2 mice ($30 shipped), with the bonus feature of Cheetoe dust and Mountain Dew being almost invisible against the high contrast.

Surely someone here has dropped the cash and bought one of these. Was it worth it?

Here's the website (Beware a video that autoplays):
https://www.getezeyes.com

For that matter, I'll take any other equally-cheap and equally-ugly keyboard suggestions. I'm sick of black, beige, and grey options.

This made me snicker. Amazon seems to have fair to good reviews on it:
http://www.amazon.com/Maxell-191046-Keyboard-Letters-yellow/dp/B003H3G4JI/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1327766346&sr=1-1

If you don't mind spending some money ($100ish) however you might wanna check out WASD keyboards http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitsch!
Jul 27, 2006

God made Adam and Eve, not Fluffy and Eve.
I was dumb and didn't renew a domain name I had with GoDaddy when it expired. I had a change of heart and want to get it back, but now the domain is parked ("Domains By Proxy, LLC" which is a GoDaddy company) and links to GoDaddy where it's up for grabs for the awesome price of $280. However, the registration expires 06/22/12.

I'm guessing the best bet would be to check back around that date and see if they renew it? It's okay if I don't get the site back, but I'm pretty much screwed in regards to the price right?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Red_Fred posted:

Are there any good threads or external guides about backing things up?

I have recently been thinking a lot about what I do not want to ever loose and what I should be making backups of however I know there will be a guide or thread around that will have thought of things I didn't or better ways to do it.

Sorry to quote my own post but I figured it got lost last page.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
This is the flow for the domain-name registry process:

And here's as site explaining it. If you're within the 1-45+30 period, maybe you can get it back. Otherwise, you're out of luck.

Kitsch!
Jul 27, 2006

Gravity Pike posted:

This is the flow for the domain-name registry process:

And here's as site explaining it. If you're within the 1-45+30 period, maybe you can get it back. Otherwise, you're out of luck.

Ah well, thanks, I figured as much.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Is the proper term for someone who gives money to a charitable organization "donator" or "donor"?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Donor.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Red_Fred posted:

Sorry to quote my own post but I figured it got lost last page.
What are you asking for exactly? Back up your data. All of it, or at least the stuff you can't easily download/replace. And backup often. Get an external USB drive or a Mac Time Machine, or a NAS, or some combination of them all and use the software included in the backup drive and/or windows or OSX to schedule frequent backups. That's pretty much it. If that's confusing to you, consider one of the many automatic backup services like Carbonite.

I can't imagine what a thread about backing up data would be like, to be honest. Maybe just google "back up my data [OS]" replacing [OS] with your operating system? If you have a specific question maybe look for an appropriate thread in SHSC? Sorry I can't really be of any more help than that v:shobon:v

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
Okay, random creepy story. Every night for the past week, at 3:02 A.M., I receive a call from "666". That's it. Just that number. No area code, no nothing. I am not about to pick up because it's freaky to be woken up at that hour by 666. I'm an atheist but seriously... no. I did try calling it back in the day when I was with some friends but it said no such number existed o_o

Help put my mind at ease. What could be going on here? Is somebody pranking me?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

SlenderWhore posted:

Is somebody pranking me?
Yes, of course. Pick up the phone and laugh at your friend you rube.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
Nope, Satan's calling your mobile. Sorry dude. Hope you know a priest. :catholic: :barf:

Nah, it's pretty much trivial to spoof your caller id number.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

SlenderWhore posted:

Okay, random creepy story. Every night for the past week, at 3:02 A.M., I receive a call from "666". That's it. Just that number. No area code, no nothing. I am not about to pick up because it's freaky to be woken up at that hour by 666. I'm an atheist but seriously... no. I did try calling it back in the day when I was with some friends but it said no such number existed o_o

Help put my mind at ease. What could be going on here? Is somebody pranking me?

Could just be a number your cell phone company is using for testing purposes, although I've never gotten a call from that number. Most 3-digit calls or messages I get are reminders or messages from the company coming from 456, for one.

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

How important is gravity to digestion, if at all? Would eating upside down impede the process of food through the esophagus and GI tract, or is it all based on muscular contractions that don't need gravity's assistance?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Torka posted:

How important is gravity to digestion, if at all? Would eating upside down impede the process of food through the esophagus and GI tract, or is it all based on muscular contractions that don't need gravity's assistance?

The esophagus' action works upside down. I believe everything else can work against gravity just fine. It certainly all works in 0g.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Torka posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peristalsis

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Torka posted:

Pooping upside down would be problematic, here's a video about space-toileting https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1wwzwvfsC0 I think with gravity working against you, getting it all out might be difficult. (receiving)

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Torka posted:

I think maybe you didn't think this through. The obvious answer is to do a headstand with some nachos.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

BonHair posted:

I think maybe you didn't think this through. The obvious answer is to do a headstand with some nachos.

Mr. Wizard did this once, although not with nachos. It still worked

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")
Where's the extension/plug-in/script/whatever for chrome that makes imgur thumbnails work properly? The only one I can find through google is the one that used to be at disrespect.me but that doesn't seem to work anymore.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE posted:

Where's the extension/plug-in/script/whatever for chrome that makes imgur thumbnails work properly? The only one I can find through google is the one that used to be at disrespect.me but that doesn't seem to work anymore.

This is the one I have installed https://github.com/thomasboyt/SA-Webkit-Fix

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")

2508084 posted:

This is the one I have installed https://github.com/thomasboyt/SA-Webkit-Fix

Cool thanks that works perfectly.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

ElwoodCuse posted:

Mr. Wizard did this once, although not with nachos. It still worked

Then why is Mr. Wizard dead?

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I am a socially retarded manbaby that wants to get a tan (at a tanning salon). What does this entail? I'm sick of being so pale as to being transparent. I don't want to go super bronze, just enough to have some color on me.

john mayer
Jan 18, 2011

GenericOverusedName posted:

I am a socially retarded manbaby that wants to get a tan (at a tanning salon). What does this entail? I'm sick of being so pale as to being transparent. I don't want to go super bronze, just enough to have some color on me.

Just go investigate a salon. Generally they'll have a price for a package and then you also buy the lotion which is where they get you on price. Start out with a super short session. Otherwise you will likely burn. They're usually pretty helpful and will guide you through how long each session should be. You can also always buy the lotion online to save a little money. You want to make sure you're getting a good one though because moisturized skin tans and dry skin burns. I haven't looked too much into lotions for beds so I can't recommend one. I only ever tan outside.

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?

To avoid the highly elevated cancer risk, find a place that offers spray tans (specifically Versa if you can find it). It's an instant, even tan that lasts about 4 or 5 days. It's sort of expensive, but you can get a reduced rate if you do unlimited monthly.

If you go that route make sure you don't shower for at least 6 hours afterwards or it'll wash off.

Kitsch!
Jul 27, 2006

john mayer posted:

Start out with a super short session. Otherwise you will likely burn.

I can't stress this enough. I'm pale as hell (typical goon pallor) and the gals at the place I went to said I should go in for 20 minutes. Couple days later, my whole front was bright red and doing everything was painful.

That was my first and last tanning session.

Long Wang
Aug 28, 2006

What do those numbers mean alongside the roads? I'm from the UK and I don't see this on the UK maps.

Pympede
Jun 17, 2005

Jeffrey Colon posted:

To avoid the highly elevated cancer risk, find a place that offers spray tans (specifically Versa if you can find it). It's an instant, even tan that lasts about 4 or 5 days. It's sort of expensive, but you can get a reduced rate if you do unlimited monthly.

If you go that route make sure you don't shower for at least 6 hours afterwards or it'll wash off.

Do not get a spray tan. You WILL look noticeably tan and if you're normally pale this is not a good instant transition. Yes there is a there slightly elevated risk of skin cancer from tanning beds but if you just want to put a bit of color on it's not a big deal, the real risk is from the people who use tanning beds to stay bronze all year round. I did the exact thing you wanted to do last winter and I think I went 2 or so times a week for under ten minutes a session and I was satisfied with the results.

Long Wang
Aug 28, 2006

Pympede posted:

Do not get a spray tan. You WILL look noticeably tan and if you're normally pale this is not a good instant transition. Yes there is a there slightly elevated risk of skin cancer from tanning beds but if you just want to put a bit of color on it's not a big deal, the real risk is from the people who use tanning beds to stay bronze all year round. I did the exact thing you wanted to do last winter and I think I went 2 or so times a week for under ten minutes a session and I was satisfied with the results.

As well, if you use a spray tan you spend the next 5 days being asked to give the Umpa Lumpas their face paint back.

vanessa
May 21, 2006

CAUTION: This pussy is ferocious.

Long Wang posted:

What do those numbers mean alongside the roads? I'm from the UK and I don't see this on the UK maps.

House numbers. They go numerically in most of the US, so you'll have the 100 block of Barton, where all the house numbers have three digits and range from 100-199. It doesn't necessarily mean that there will be a building with 100 as the number, just that it will be within the one hundreds. The next block over would be the 200 block, etc.

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?

Long Wang posted:

As well, if you use a spray tan you spend the next 5 days being asked to give the Umpa Lumpas their face paint back.

Spray tan technology has advanced past the Umpa Lumpa look, believe it or not. You risk getting burned in a tanning bed and getting made fun of for being pink as hell anyway. You can also get goggle marks around your eyes and get called a raccoon for the next week.

With spray (Versa), you can also choose 3 levels (light, medium, dark) so that its not a stark difference. I'm not sickly pale, so I can't really comment on how that'd go over for you, but I'm certainly not dark in the winter and it works really well for me. It might help to do a bit of both - start with 2 or 3 sessions of the bed and then start doing spray.

I wouldn't downplay the risk of melanoma from using tanning beds. For the average person, you have a 74% increased risk of cancer on top of the already elevated risk that people with pale complexions have.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I mostly want to get a tan to improve my complexion. I'm talking albino cave creature looking skin. I'm also hoping that maybe it might help my mood a bit, since my schedule doesn't let me see the sun much.

(I am not actually an albino)

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I know UPS doesn't deliver on weekends unless you pay them extra, but do they whip things to/from distribution centers? I.e. will my package move at all over the weekend?

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
Can someone tell me a quick, free method of ripping audio from movie files?

edit:

VVVVV it worked! thanks a bunch!

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jan 30, 2012

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Popcorn posted:

Can someone tell me a quick, free method of ripping audio from movie files?

You can do it with VLC:
http://en.kioskea.net/faq/1266-extracting-the-sound-from-a-video-with-vlc

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

I mostly want to get a tan to improve my complexion. I'm talking albino cave creature looking skin. I'm also hoping that maybe it might help my mood a bit, since my schedule doesn't let me see the sun much.

(I am not actually an albino)
I'd say screw the skin paint/cancer and take some vitamin D supplements. ~2000iu daily if you don't go outside ever.

Zotwoz
Apr 2, 2011
I know this is a decade late, but is Metroid Prime 1 or 2 better?

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I already do take vitamin D :sun:

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Zotwoz posted:

I know this is a decade late, but is Metroid Prime 1 or 2 better?

Metroid Prime 1 is far better.

That doesn't mean Prime 2 isn't awesome. It's just not transcendentally amazing like Prime 1 was. Prime 1 was pretty much a perfect game, a love letter to the Metroid series.

My own question: I recently saw an article on stem cells being used to cure a retinal problem, macular degeneration. I have a retinal problem as well, but different. How does one get on board with trials like this? Do I just ask my doctor about them and see if he has an in with whatever research organization is working on it? Do I contact the researchers directly? Is it even worth the effort and I should just wait 15 years for them to make this available for normal people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

hooah posted:

I know UPS doesn't deliver on weekends unless you pay them extra, but do they whip things to/from distribution centers? I.e. will my package move at all over the weekend?

Yes, UPS/Fedex work 24/7 365.

Your package won't arrive early even if it's at the distribution hub across the street though.