Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

abbic posted:

The Useful Windows Software site seems to be down so I figured I'd try asking here.

Does anyone know of any free and not full of malware ftp programs? Is FileZilla any good or is there a better option out there?

I've used FileZilla a little bit (very little, like maybe twice in my life). One was per-recommendation of a System Admin, though we used to transferring files for user-created content for a game. The second time I used it was when I was on "trial" for a job opportunity, they had me use that to connect to their server and pull down a few files to try and complete.

So, given I have little experience, I can see it's recommended by professionals so I'd say they must be doing something right.

e; Towards the other problem of Enterprise -> Ultimate..

http://www.jasdhaliwal.com/microsoft/how-to-upgrade-windows-7-enterprise-to-windows-7-ultimate/
http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/downgrade-windows-7-enterprise-to-ultimate-professional-or-home-premium-edition/

I found these on Google. Personally, it sounds pretty iffy changing registry values to make it think you're running a lesser version, then upgrading from there. I wouldn't try it, personally.

But if she's crazy desperate and says you won't be responsible if and when her laptop explodes, well then... for great science!

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jan 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

xie posted:

I have a user who has a laptop running an unlicensed copy of Win 7 Enterprise.

She would like to purchase a retail copy of Windows 7 and enter the key to license the software. Obviously she cannot do this with Enterprise, since there are no personal licenses.

Can we Windows Anytime Upgrade this to Ultimate? I want to avoid a reinstall, as that adds a lot of work for me, and this is her personal machine.

This chart doesn't mention Enterprise -> anything though so I'm afraid this may be a hassle :(

Does Windows not allow you to enter a valid license key if your copy is unlicensed or if WGA pitches a fit over it? Or do you guys just not have an enterprise license to use?

Sleepstupid
Feb 23, 2009
Is it still possible to find Win7 32-bit laptops that are reasonably priced? I just got a call from a sales rep who was trying to find one for a customer and he told me the 32-bit ones were 2x as much as the 64-bit models. I initially didn't believe him but after a quick check on cdw, neweggbusiness, etc. it appears he's correct :confused:

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
I know this is a long shot, but are Digital River links available for Vista? My old laptop came with Vista, but I replaced it with 7, and now I have a usable Vista key collecting dust.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Sleepstupid posted:

Is it still possible to find Win7 32-bit laptops that are reasonably priced? I just got a call from a sales rep who was trying to find one for a customer and he told me the 32-bit ones were 2x as much as the 64-bit models. I initially didn't believe him but after a quick check on cdw, neweggbusiness, etc. it appears he's correct :confused:

Why are you trying to find them? You can hardly even find 32 bit netbooks these days, because it's 2012 not 2002.

Edit: Are you aware that you can install 32 bit Windows 7 with the same key from 64 bit Windows 7, although you'll probably find driver support lacking?

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 26, 2012

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:

stubblyhead posted:

Does Windows not allow you to enter a valid license key if your copy is unlicensed or if WGA pitches a fit over it? Or do you guys just not have an enterprise license to use?

This is her personal computer, we are not allowed to license it for her. She had it from her previous place of employment & has their copy of Enterprise, but it obviously tried to phone home and failed.

So she definitely needs to buy Windows, but since it's a personal PC I really don't want to rebuild it for her, it's going to be a nightmare getting all of her other software back on.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

xie posted:

This is her personal computer, we are not allowed to license it for her. She had it from her previous place of employment & has their copy of Enterprise, but it obviously tried to phone home and failed.

So she definitely needs to buy Windows, but since it's a personal PC I really don't want to rebuild it for her, it's going to be a nightmare getting all of her other software back on.

If it's her personal computer then it's her personal problem.

Sleepstupid
Feb 23, 2009

Install Gentoo posted:

Why are you trying to find them? You can hardly even find 32 bit netbooks these days, because it's 2012 not 2002.

Edit: Are you aware that you can install 32 bit Windows 7 with the same key from 64 bit Windows 7, although you'll probably find driver support lacking?

We need to use them with a proprietary hardware peripheral that doesn't have 64-bit drivers available.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Sleepstupid posted:

We need to use them with a proprietary hardware peripheral that doesn't have 64-bit drivers available.

Then as I said, just buy regular computers and wipe+reinstall Windows 7 from 32 bit media.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

Mak0rz posted:

CCleaner can clean your registry and lets you make a backup before every cleaning to boot. It also comes with a ton of other things, like an installed programs list that's way better than Windows'.

Also you might want to consider getting a newer operating system.

Galler posted:

Seconding CCleaner and the suggestion that dump XP. Every time I have to support a XP machine at work I realize how great (or at least better) Windows 7 is.

Flipperwaldt posted:

Thirding CCleaner, I guess. I haven't really felt the need for one since Windows 7 :v:

Thanks for the help. CCleaner it is.

I plan to upgrade to Win 7 eventually, but :effort:

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:

stubblyhead posted:

If it's her personal computer then it's her personal problem.

Uh, thanks for telling me my job's policies and procedures, I guess? I'm not retarded, if I could hand it back and say "gently caress off" i would have.

She has enough klout that we support personal machines up to a certain point. This is getting done, I'm just trying to avoid the complete windows re-install.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

xie posted:

Uh, thanks for telling me my job's policies and procedures, I guess? I'm not retarded, if I could hand it back and say "gently caress off" i would have.

She has enough klout that we support personal machines up to a certain point. This is getting done, I'm just trying to avoid the complete windows re-install.

For fucks-sake man, you could have used Easy Transfer to back up all her data, re-installed and had all of her data back on it in in less than a couple of hours. It's not a big deal.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

xie posted:

I wasn't trying to be a jerk, just that supporting users' private property as a part of my job is totally contrary to my nature. If you have to do that and can't reasonably refuse then you have my sympathy.

Sleepstupid
Feb 23, 2009

Install Gentoo posted:

Then as I said, just buy regular computers and wipe+reinstall Windows 7 from 32 bit media.

:sigh: Because the customer is buying them not me, but thanks for totally not answering the original question though :bravo:

I was just looking for a sanity check, not workarounds as I couldn't believe 32-bit machines were so expensive these days.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Sleepstupid posted:

:sigh: Because the customer is buying them not me, but thanks for totally not answering the original question though :bravo:

I was just looking for a sanity check, not workarounds as I couldn't believe 32-bit machines were so expensive these days.

There's no need to be a dick. His suggestion was perfectly helpful based on the information you gave. You need to specify if you need things to be perfect straight from the box or not.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Is there a command I can run from cmd that will dump the directory names into a txt file?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

GreenNight posted:

Is there a command I can run from cmd that will dump the directory names into a txt file?
Basically this:
code:
dir *.* /s/b/ad > file.txt
Drop the /s if you only want the folders found in the folder where you are at that moment, not their subfolders too.

You can put a path before *.* and before the output filename if that helps somehow. Like:
code:
dir "C:\Program Files\*.*" /s/b/ad > "C:\Users\Billgates\Documents\List of Program Folders.txt"
Please note the need to put those in quotes if there are spaces.

There's also:
code:
tree > file.txt
if you're more visually oriented :v:

EDIT: Correction for edge cases where folders have a period in their name. Dir has the /ad switch for that. Expanding that to /adhs might be necessary to see hidden and system folders.
EDIT2: Clarification: method before the edit would not list folders with a period in their name and would list files without extension.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jan 27, 2012

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

GreenNight posted:

That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!
Please, check the edit above!

VVVV Well, it might have made a difference if you were using it in a batch script that got deployed in a corporate environment permanently or something. I had no way of knowing how mission critical it was and how foolproof it had to be. So I thought: better safe than sorry.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jan 27, 2012

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

All good man. Just archiving about 10,000+ engineering folders to DVD's and need to make a top level Word doc. This is much easier.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
So is there a better free alternative to Orb for streaming video? Last time I used it Orb was buggy as poo poo, and I'd rather not pay for TVersity if I can help it. :(

xie
Jul 29, 2004

WorkingStiff posted:

For fucks-sake man, you could have used Easy Transfer to back up all her data, re-installed and had all of her data back on it in in less than a couple of hours. It's not a big deal.

Programs are not data. I'm not concerned with moving her data, but as this is a personal machine I do not have access to all of the stupid software she has downloaded/purchased over the year or so she's owned it.

You're acting like it's my machine and I control all of the software. I got hosed on this ticket and I'm looking for a way to salvage it.

stubblyhead posted:

I wasn't trying to be a jerk, just that supporting users' private property as a part of my job is totally contrary to my nature. If you have to do that and can't reasonably refuse then you have my sympathy.

We provide limited (best effort) personal PC support to a specific class of users.

xie fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jan 27, 2012

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Ribbon tabs are a religion rather than a Deity, you may find Zeus/Apollo in Greek and Roman mythology or God in Judaism, Islam or Christianity, but if you are searching for Jesus, there’s only one tab you would go to. It is also possible to find Jesus in any application in life, but only through Christianity.

:eng99:

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

xie posted:

Programs are not data. I'm not concerned with moving her data, but as this is a personal machine I do not have access to all of the stupid software she has downloaded/purchased over the year or so she's owned it.

You're acting like it's my machine and I control all of the software. I got hosed on this ticket and I'm looking for a way to salvage it.

We provide limited (best effort) personal PC support to a specific class of users.

You can recover all the license keys with Belarc Advisor. Then you have a list in front of you of all her latest & greatest programs to re-download & install. You can dump the list into a .txt file on her desktop and let her do it or do it yourself if you are feeling charitable.

All I'm saying, is that sometimes it doesn't pay to make mountains out of molehills. I'm sure everyone here who works in IT has done what you are describing countless times. Work is work.

Have you tried to rearm her install? Last I looked, MAK and KMS Volume License Keys can be rearmed three times.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

WorkingStiff posted:

You can recover all the license keys with Belarc Advisor. Then you have a list in front of you of all her latest & greatest programs to re-download & install. You can dump the list into a .txt file on her desktop and let her do it or do it yourself if you are feeling charitable.

All I'm saying, is that sometimes it doesn't pay to make mountains out of molehills. I'm sure everyone here who works in IT has done what you are describing countless times. Work is work.

Thanks for the Belarc tip, that'll help with the main issue since I'm almost positive she's lost all of her serials.

Since this is a personal PC, I can only work on it when I have spare time, and nobody's going to stop giving me regular tickets while I'm doing so. It's also a complicated machine with a lot of research software and other one off programs. I'm not talking firefox/itunes/steam/skype when complaining about software.

We're an academic institution. :\

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I moved today. Either I am retarded, or my password isnt working on my win7 box. What boot cd do I need to reset the drat thing. I work on computers all day at work, hate fixing my own.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:
Is this the correct thread for questions about Windows 7 deployment, Sysprep, and ImageX/GImageX? I need some help ASAP.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Terpfen posted:

Is this the correct thread for questions about Windows 7 deployment, Sysprep, and ImageX/GImageX? I need some help ASAP.

It has been before, so I'm pretty sure yes.

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008
I'm looking for a Pdf to Jpg converter so I can read some books I have on pdf on my phone. Can anyone help me out? I can just find any old one after googling, but I'd rather go with something someone's tried and knows for sure works well. Bonus points if it's free.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Polsy posted:

It has been before, so I'm pretty sure yes.

Okay then!

I'm trying to create a Windows 7 32-bit image via ImageX, place that on a USB stick, and then install that image on 30 other computers by the end of the week. Here's what happens.

1. Create local admin named thsystem.
2. Install all drivers and software.
3. Create unattend.xml with commands to wipe and reformat the hard drive in NTFS, install on the new partition, and to configure some system and IE settings.
4. Run Sysprep with the /generalize /oobe /shutdown /unattend:unattend.xml flags.
5. Capture image to USB stick via GImageX.
6. Reboot PC. PC follows unattend script perfectly, takes me back to the Windows login screen within minutes.
7. Attempt to install image on a second computer with the same hardware. When booting the new image, I get to the "Windows is starting services" screen and… nothing happens. It stays there eternally.

I've found that if I reformat and repartition the hard drive via diskpart before installing the image, then it'll work, but then what the hell are my hard drive format settings in unattend.xml doing? And will I have to manually partition 30 machines? Ugh.

I just need help figuring out why this is happening and how to fix it.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Terpfen posted:

Is AV pre-installed in the base .wim? This is usually the problem.

Edited to add: I just noticed that you are installing from USB. It will probably be much easier to just use an image you've made with Acronis True Image or using FOG as an alternative to Sysprep.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

WorkingStiff posted:

Is AV pre-installed in the base .wim? This is usually the problem.

Edited to add: I just noticed that you are installing from USB. It will probably be much easier to just use an image you've made with Acronis True Image or using FOG as an alternative to Sysprep.

No, antivirus is not installed on the image.

I looked at FOG briefly but not very closely. Can I boot it off a USB stick? Can I install images from a USB stick? Is it sector-based or partition-based? I need to wipe partitions off the computers that need the image deployed (my repartition commands in unattend.xml are not being followed, apparently) and just slap the image on there as we've been doing with Ghost and Windows XP.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
I bought Windows 7 Pro like 1.5 years ago when they had it on sale for $30 for students. Anyway my computer that I installed it on was robbed from my house a few months back, if I call in to activate is there any chance that is a good enough reason to reactivate? Or will they basically tell me "tough poo poo" and make me buy another copy.
If it matters it was an Upgrade version, not an OEM. So I don't know if it was permanently attached to that PC or not.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Meta Ridley posted:

I bought Windows 7 Pro like 1.5 years ago when they had it on sale for $30 for students. Anyway my computer that I installed it on was robbed from my house a few months back, if I call in to activate is there any chance that is a good enough reason to reactivate? Or will they basically tell me "tough poo poo" and make me buy another copy.
If it matters it was an Upgrade version, not an OEM. So I don't know if it was permanently attached to that PC or not.

Don't even waste time worrying. Just call the automated number Windows tells you to. You don't actually speak to a person, you just put the numbers in, it gives you the code to activate.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

What's the best, smallest torrent software out there nowadays?

Armourking
Dec 16, 2004

Step off!
Step off!

THS posted:

What's the best, smallest torrent software out there nowadays?
Still uTorrent.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
Just to clarify, yes, it looks more bloaty, and you do have to turn off a few features, then turn back on the fields with useful data, but yep, the μtorrent you love and need is still there.

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

Hello thread. After about a week of digging through old boxes I managed to find this little gem:

It's a USB controller converter for PS2, GCN, and Xbox (model number FT8D91). The good news is that it still works. The bad news is that whenever I try to install the drivers for this thing, I am told that they are not signed my Microsoft and I can't use them. The driver that is needed, MAC607.sys, on my Win 7 64bit PC will not load properly. How would I go about forcing this driver to load/function disregarding if it's signed or not?

Atltais
May 21, 2004
And there was much rejoicing.

Green Puddin posted:

Hello thread. After about a week of digging through old boxes I managed to find this little gem:

It's a USB controller converter for PS2, GCN, and Xbox (model number FT8D91). The good news is that it still works. The bad news is that whenever I try to install the drivers for this thing, I am told that they are not signed my Microsoft and I can't use them. The driver that is needed, MAC607.sys, on my Win 7 64bit PC will not load properly. How would I go about forcing this driver to load/function disregarding if it's signed or not?

You don't, or at least you shouldn't. However, all hope is not lost. Use makecert and signtool to self-sign (here's a guide) your driver. It won't work on any other machine, or at least, it'll only work on machines that have your certificate. But it's a way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Terpfen posted:

Okay then!

I'm trying to create a Windows 7 32-bit image via ImageX, place that on a USB stick, and then install that image on 30 other computers by the end of the week. Here's what happens.

1. Create local admin named thsystem.
2. Install all drivers and software.
3. Create unattend.xml with commands to wipe and reformat the hard drive in NTFS, install on the new partition, and to configure some system and IE settings.
4. Run Sysprep with the /generalize /oobe /shutdown /unattend:unattend.xml flags.
5. Capture image to USB stick via GImageX.
6. Reboot PC. PC follows unattend script perfectly, takes me back to the Windows login screen within minutes.
7. Attempt to install image on a second computer with the same hardware. When booting the new image, I get to the "Windows is starting services" screen and… nothing happens. It stays there eternally.

I've found that if I reformat and repartition the hard drive via diskpart before installing the image, then it'll work, but then what the hell are my hard drive format settings in unattend.xml doing? And will I have to manually partition 30 machines? Ugh.

Someone? Anyone?