Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax
Any episode recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

whip posted:

The show doesn't have a whole lot of continuity so you can just pick an episode featuring a game you're interested in and go for it.

But if you want recommendations here are five places that you can start from:

023 - Adventure Island - If there was ever a game designed to hurt children this is it. It started out looking so simple and things quickly turn bad.

031 - Umihara Kawase - It's a strange game involving getting around levels with a fishing pole, it has a painfully difficult condition for getting the best ending, and Arino is teamed up with a new assistant whose abilities are really shaky.

041 - Mighty Bomb Jack - It's the first time that Arino played for a live audience and it works to his strengths as a performer. Crew and fans alike pitch in to try to help finish the game. You can watch the dubbed version of episodes 39 and 40 first to get the full context but it's not necessary.

105 - Hokkaido Serial Murders - Arino plays a classic adventure game where he tries to solve a series of murders. An extra special guest shows up to help him out.

Game Center CX in the USA - The shining moment for the original thread was when it was announced that an episode of the series would be taped in the US. A lot of goons appear in this episode.

(I think around February 1 I'm going to have to tweak that section of the OP. There's an episode that has to be on the list that I had to take off of it. No, I can't recommend it now because the version I can point to is not the version people want to watch.)

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Jan 29, 2012

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
Fantastic job as ever, guys! That was one hell of an episode.

I had no issues with the first torrent and didn't notice many syncing problems. I suppose it takes a trained eye.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
Would someone be able to explain the misunderstanding between Arino saying goddess and the former AD saying goddess? Was Arino pluralizing it or was it something else, because while I did find it funny he kept saying it back incorrectly somehow, I wasn't exactly sure in what way it was wrong.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

whip posted:

My favorite episode is probably Lemmings. It's just the perfect game for Arino - it's tough, but he ends up feeling really smart when he beats a stage. It helps if you played it back in the day, however, which really is a good indicator for many of the episodes.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Niggurath posted:

Would someone be able to explain the misunderstanding between Arino saying goddess and the former AD saying goddess? Was Arino pluralizing it or was it something else, because while I did find it funny he kept saying it back incorrectly somehow, I wasn't exactly sure in what way it was wrong.

It's actually fairly close to how it was translated. To break it down a little the character's name was the word "goddess" transliterated to Japanese. That becomes "go-deh-sue" (I'm trying to make the pronunciation simple; I know it's not right). The Japanese "to be" verb is "desu" which is pronounced "deh-sue". So saying "It's 'goddess'" is Japanese is "go-deh-sue-deh-sue" which is fairly confusing though obviously Arino was playing it up a lot.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
This was a very good episode, especially since it contained no Tamage. If it had a good one in it this would probably be one of my top episodes.

Vicco
Sep 13, 2010
This was one of my favourite episodes so far. I hold great nostalgia for Bomberman, and the only thing better than watching five people kill each other in a Bomberman game is being one of those five.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I agree, great episode. The first video game I ever owned was Wario Blast: Featuring Bomberman! for the Gameboy. Got that game and the original grey Gameboy "brick" handheld for an Xmas when I was a kid. Ah the memories....

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

whip posted:

Tokimeki Memorial is one of the funniest episodes out there. It's not a traditional episode, since it is only Arino playing the game, but my god, it will have you rolling on the floor a few times. However, because it isn't a typical, I wouldn't recommend it as your very first episode.

Basically, the episode is Arino's first episode after he gets married, and he's all ready to play a game called "Famicom Jump," but the staff instead begs him to play Tokimeki Memorial, since they want to learn all of his romantic secrets. Basically, Arino's tips are all basically the actions of a wanton psychopath.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Some of my own recommendations, in addition to what's been said before:

Prince of Persia - The time limit is a cool feature and it really adds some tension the further Arino gets in the game.

Quest of Ki - Really interesting game with some unique nuances that make it really fun to watch Arino struggle through it. The Bonk's Adventure episode has the conclusion to this, making it span three episodes.

Ultraman - Another interesting episode because you get to see the nitty gritty of everything that's going on in the game. These are my favorite kinds of episodes - when the audience can really get into the mechanics and see why Arino is struggling. I guess that describes the above two choices, too.

Clocktower - It's a pretty cinematic game, so watching Arino play is nearly as fun as playing it yourself.

Takeshi's Challenge - Introduces the format and is a hilariously terrible game.

Super Mario 64 - It's hard to explain why I like these two episodes, but I guess SM64 is just a great game and this episode really shows why. Arino powers through it so there's not a whole lot of tension, but seeing him discover the many secrets of the game is really fun. Maybe if you don't have any emotional connection to this game it'll be different, but I didn't like the Link to the Past episode and that's like one of my favorite games ever, so I feel it's not just nostalgia speaking for me.

And if you like the parts where Arino walks around and talks to people, then also check out the Korea and Cannes trip specials, because they've got a lot of that stuff and are pretty interesting in general. The North Trip specials are good for that, too.

Just be sure to check who subbed which episodes so you can figure out where to get them. Some of those listed above were subbed by TV Nihon.

Edit: Also just to emphasize that you should watch them, I'd like to second the recommendations for Mighty Bomb Jack (The Kotaku version and then the live one), Adventure Island, and the USA Special.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Bomberman might be THE funniest episode, and it wasn't even made for tv.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right
Abe has the best t-shirt.

Joshuadel
Sep 2, 2011

Drop in a token, look at a duck

whip posted:

I'll second that, after you're familiar with the standard operating procedure of a GCCX episode, Tokimeki Memorial is an absolute blast. I always like when Arino surprises himself getting invested in a game for which he's clearly not the target demographic; TV-Nihon's Angelique Troia segment is a good frame of reference.

I know it's :filez:, but my hope is with Gawker's license expiring, the SA translation of S.O.S. will resurface. That episode made a convert out of my wife, who was as skeptical about the show's premise as anyone could be. I haven't checked out the Kotak version of the episode, but watching Arino yell at a bunch of doomed shipwreck survivors is one of the funniest things I've ever seen in the program.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Random Stranger posted:

Okay, there's a lot going on today so keep up.

Top of the list is something new for the SA Team. It's our first DVD bonus episode: Bomberman. Featuring the greatest player in GCCX history, a huge cast, and multiple twist endings.

Bringing this challenge to you is the woman, the legend, the person behind the shocking announcement at the end of this post, zari-gani!

Item number two: multiupload is still not working correctly so I'm trying something new. I uploaded the video to DepositFiles to give people an easy option for access to it but I also created a torrent. The torrent contains the subtitles as well as the video. This is the first time I've done this so I'm not certain how well it's going to work but I thought it was worth a shot.

Direct Download - http://depositfiles.com/files/fc6drwe1n
Torrent - http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=torrentinfo&tid=281310

Third and finally, as of today 50% of Game Center CX is translated. It's not all finished and ready for public consumption but there are translations for half of everything Game Center CX.

Most of season 9 and the early parts of season 10 exist in HD, but I haven't been able to find many others that are saved at an extremely high resolution.

So I just read this entire thread through and I still didn't find the Bomberman episodes linked. :(

Depositfiles links to Game Center CX NC7 - Mario Kart.avi. It's also slow as molasses at the moment, 110 b/s. Nyaa.eu's database seems to be down as well so I can't torrent it either.

Edit: Apparently the torrent site works now. Still, Depositfiles links to Mario Kart. :iiam:

jyrque fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jan 29, 2012

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Joshuadel posted:

I know it's :filez:, but my hope is with Gawker's license expiring, the SA translation of S.O.S. will resurface. That episode made a convert out of my wife, who was as skeptical about the show's premise as anyone could be. I haven't checked out the Kotak version of the episode, but watching Arino yell at a bunch of doomed shipwreck survivors is one of the funniest things I've ever seen in the program.

That one is on youtube, I watched it a couple days ago. I didn't know it was licensed. I felt so bad for him because the AI being so bad was really no fault of his own. All of them jumping to their deaths at once was the funniest thing ever though.

Also yes yes yes thank you for uploading on torrent, it's so much better than direct downloading. :)

Egregious
Oct 29, 2011

whip posted:

My personal favorites are 53 Stations of the Tokaido, Golgo 13, and Super Mario 64.

The Bomberman episode was amazing. Fantastic effort as always.

"Can you say it with some flair?"

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

Egregious posted:

"Can you say it with some flair?"

D J I

Dear lord, the Bomberman episode WAS great. New episode to put near the top of the recommendations list.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

It looks like Multiupload is back, and while most of the mirrors it uploaded to are dead now, some are still kicking and can be downloaded from, so don't go throwing out those download links!

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Niggurath posted:

In Japanese: "It's Goddess" is Godesu desu (adding desu at the end of a word sentence makes it a polite "it's"). The repetition makes it sound funny so Arino kept saying "Godesudesu was great" like that's the name. Whenever Toujima corrected him saying Godesu! which sounds like "It's Go!" Arino would then reply Ah, Go?

An English equivalent to the exchange would be "It's It's A Wonderful Life." "Oh I love It's It's A Wonderful Life." "No, It's a Wonderful Life." "Oh right, A Wonderful Life." "No, it's It's a Wonderful Life." "It's It's A Wonderful Life?"

In my desperate translation of a "who's on first" moment in a completely different language: Arino keeps pluralizing it as "Goddesses," then says "Go do what?" when Toujima corrects him. When Toujima says "Goddess is the name" Arino goes back to "Goddesses" again.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jan 29, 2012

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Oh my god, the Bomberman episode is one of the best episodes I've seen in a while. Nearly everything they did in this one had me laughing. Seriously, threadgoers, if you haven't seen this one yet, get on that.

It made me look on Ebay for Bomberman NES carts. They're like 15 dollars. Arino, will you cause me to buy a game yet? I know a friend who actually bought S.O.S. because of the episode. He sure, uh... didn't quite like it. But Bomberman is fun!

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Anyone looking to get into some Bomberman action, get Super Bomberman for SNES with Turbo Tap.

Random Stranger posted:

(I think around February 1 I'm going to have to tweak that section of the OP. There's an episode that has to be on the list that I had to take off of it. No, I can't recommend it now because the version I can point to is not the version people want to watch.)

Is it Ninja Gaiden? I think that's the best episode to introduce people to the show with. A fan-fave, and Arino's favourite episode too.

Joshuadel posted:

No episode has made me laugh more than the S.O.S. episode. And yes I bought the game afterwards.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

FreezingInferno posted:

I know a friend who actually bought S.O.S. because of the episode. He sure, uh... didn't quite like it. But Bomberman is fun!

Funny, that episode is what made me NOT buy SOS!

Anyone who wants some Bomberman, theres a couple of the TG16 Bombermans on the Wii Virtual Console for I think 6 bucks. They support 5 players!

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

I found S.O.S. for dirt cheap at a local store, but didn't pick it up explicitly because I had seen the SAGCCX version of the episode. The game is just executed so very poorly even though the concept is pretty sweet.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

It's a bit of a crime that Human translated S.O.S. and not Clock Tower, since that is the far better game. I still love everything about S.O.S. that doesn't involve playing it, though - the concept itself, the multiple endings, the graphics, the music and it has bitching cover art, too. It could've been a great game.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

zari-gani posted:

Anyone looking to get into some Bomberman action, get Super Bomberman for SNES with Turbo Tap.

If you really want to see some chaos, there's a Sega Saturn version that supports ten players using two splitters. We used to play that on the projector after our college anime club showings. It's definitely one of the best party games ever.

Joshuadel
Sep 2, 2011

zari-gani posted:

In Japanese: "It's Goddess" is Godesu desu (adding desu at the end of a word sentence makes it a polite "it's"). The repetition makes it sound funny so Arino kept saying "Godesudesu was great" like that's the name. Whenever Toujima corrected him saying Godesu! which sounds like "It's Go!" Arino would then reply Ah, Go?

An English equivalent to the exchange would be "It's It's A Wonderful Life." "Oh I love It's It's A Wonderful Life." "No, It's a Wonderful Life." "Oh right, A Wonderful Life." "No, it's It's a Wonderful Life." "It's It's A Wonderful Life?"

In my desperate translation of a "who's on first" moment in a completely different language: Arino keeps pluralizing it as "Goddesses," then says "Go do what?" when Toujima corrects him. When Toujima says "Goddess is the name" Arino goes back to "Goddesses" again.

Thanks for the explanation. I'm of the opinion that this kind of localization is precisely what makes the SAGCCX team so awesome. Rather than give us a word-for-word translation (which would still be funny, albeit a bit nonsensical), we wind up with a new reading that keeps the spirit of the original joke intact. (See also: Out of this World and the hysterical "'Sup" moment.)

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Joshuadel posted:

Thanks for the explanation. I'm of the opinion that this kind of localization is precisely what makes the SAGCCX team so awesome. Rather than give us a word-for-word translation (which would still be funny, albeit a bit nonsensical), we wind up with a new reading that keeps the spirit of the original joke intact. (See also: Out of this World and the hysterical "'Sup" moment.)

No, the 'Sup' was a direct translation. You're thinking of 'punch card'.

Joshuadel
Sep 2, 2011

Son Ryo posted:

No, the 'Sup' was a direct translation. You're thinking of 'punch card'.

Gah, you're absolutely right. See, even my post is better adapted and clarified!

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
In the newest Bomberman episode, why do they say 2 million points for those items when they're gaining 20 million points?

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

zari-gani posted:

No way, Mega Bomberman/Bomberman '94 was the best one. Unless Super Bomberman has kangaroos in it.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Bomberman is honestly a viable alternative to open warfare

Throw a couple world leaders in a room with Bomberman and they can vent all their frustrations and disagreements

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Well in a twist that no one saw coming the next episode is Mario Kart.

The original translator this time out is Heran Bago with additional translation work by zari-gani.

Torrent - http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=torrentinfo&tid=281734
Direct Download - http://depositfiles.com/files/fc6drwe1n

This one is much smaller so seeding should go quickly.

Now I have to get back to work if we're going to have another episode released tomorrow.

(We're not having another episode released tomorrow. At least not one that I'm working on.)

jyrque posted:

So I just read this entire thread through and I still didn't find the Bomberman episodes linked. :(

Depositfiles links to Game Center CX NC7 - Mario Kart.avi. It's also slow as molasses at the moment, 110 b/s. Nyaa.eu's database seems to be down as well so I can't torrent it either.

Edit: Apparently the torrent site works now. Still, Depositfiles links to Mario Kart. :iiam:

The download link in the OP was correct but I've changed the one in that post as well.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 29, 2012

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Wasn't Super Mario Kart already translated before? Though now that I look at the file I already have compared to the one I'm downloading, this new one is larger in size. Higher quality video?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mercury Crusader posted:

Wasn't Super Mario Kart already translated before? Though now that I look at the file I already have compared to the one I'm downloading, this new one is larger in size. Higher quality video?

Yes, Heran Bago's translation was done before and he asked zari-gani to review it. Which she did and the new video is the result. I'm not sure if someone used a different video file than I did though I do use different masters than the raws that typically are going around.

rudypooh
Sep 7, 2011
I subscribed to SA a few months ago just to have access to this thread. I discovered GCCX via Kotaku, so that's one good thing about them, but the full episodes are a whole other world that I'm now obsessed with. Thank you to the translators and posters for feeding my fix (especially whoever uploaded the ponkoron ringtone a while back).

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

FreezingInferno posted:

It made me look on Ebay for Bomberman NES carts. They're like 15 dollars. Arino, will you cause me to buy a game yet? I know a friend who actually bought S.O.S. because of the episode. He sure, uh... didn't quite like it. But Bomberman is fun!

gently caress youuuuu for reminding me. I still haven't been able to beat the game. I am literally worse than Arino at it.

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax
These are great

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Mercury Crusader posted:

Heran Bago translated it to English from French subs he found online, and whoever did the initial French translations made a bunch of mistakes which I've fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Well I have a new least favorite segment to time. Poorly miked and the true overlay hell. I thought this segment was going to be rough going but this is even more than I thought.