Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dodecahardon
Oct 20, 2008

Dickeye posted:

Is anybody else having troubles with SANZB fetching links from nzb.su?

It was working fine an hour ago and now nothing.

I'm guessing you hit the daily limit. From the web site:

nzb.su posted:

> Free Registration - User
You're allowed 10 nzb downloads per day and 80 API hits.
Good for: If you're not a heavy downloader and use Sickbeard by itself. Web use, or light downloading of nzb's occasionally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

adocious posted:

I'm guessing you hit the daily limit. From the web site:

Well at least now I know. Thanks.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

WINTER IS COMING posted:

In regards to SABNZBD - how do you figure out what the missing article is?

Quite frustrating after a 4gb download

Are the separate files in your INCOMPLETE folder? If so, can you see which file is missing, or too small compared to the rest of the splits?

WINTER IS COMING
Oct 6, 2011

kri kri posted:

Why don't you just disable metadata in CP and use xbmc?

WINTER IS COMING posted:

Edit- I have the meta data unchecked in CP.

WINTER IS COMING posted:

Couchpotato is not doing any scraping on its own.

NEXT DAY EDIT: SABNZBD + SB + CP run on my WHS v1 where the files are also stored - I think the issue could lay in the shared drives as when I take the same unplayable files and FTP them direct onto the Revo's internal HDD /home/xbmc/Videos these files now play!

WINTER IS COMING fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jan 29, 2012

Hurp Durp Master
Oct 10, 2011
I've been using my friends usenet account little over a year now, hes using astraweb and imo its an amazing service. I'm thinking of investing into the $96 per year special offer they have going on so I don't keep leeching off him.

Just to be clear in terms of "safety", is it apparently so that users/downloaders are not being targeted as oppossed to those who upload/post nzbs? I'm just a little paranoid of using usenet at my uni because they have an active anti-copyright policy and have pulled up and fined students in the past who have left their torrents running on the laptops using the uni's internet. If I were to use usenet downloading files I want should I be weary of facing similar retribution or am I relatively safe now due to the nature of usenet? (assuming I don't post/upload files)

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

Well, do you use SSL? If so, you are not in danger from big brother seeing what you are doing. If you do not use SSL, then they can easily see and it could raise flags.

That said, if you are making a severe dent in the internet connection they will likely take interest in you. The school could merely lookup and block the IP addresses that the traffic is coming from, it would not take much effort to figure out that they belong to a usenet provider. It is a possibility but it is not exactly likely, unless you are maxing out a gigabit ethernet port or something.

Lusername
Sep 22, 2005
The truth is just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Suppose you download the .nzb file in the open (i.e. not through https), and then you download the contents of the nzb from your usenet provider, using SSL. Would it be possible for them to catch you that way? Presumably, they see you download a .nzb file for a 1.8GB video, and then see your computer making an encrypted connection to a usenet server, downloading 1.8GB worth of encrypted data.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

Lusername posted:

Would it be possible for them to catch you that way?
That's pretty poo poo circumstantial evidence, and way more effort than any ISP would put forth. Your ISP would have to be tracking all things downloaded through all indexers, analyze the nzb itself for the size of the payload, and be ready to do some math based around transfer from your usenet host, which would end up fuzzy because SABnzbd doesn't download 100% of the data supplied by an NZB.

So, like, you might download a 1.8Gb NZB from an indexer in the clear. But that gets added to your Queue that's already 23Gb. And of that 23Gb SABnzbd only actually moves 20GB due to all the parity stuff it already has. At what point did you download the 1.8Gb they "saw"?

It's more likely that -- if anything -- the kind of "retribution" you'll face regarding Usenet is "hey you downloaded like, just a complete assload of stuff all at once and brought our network to its knees, quit that". And maybe they'll throw in a threat of "and we saw it was all going to a usenet server, we can't prove what you were downloading, but seriously quit that".

inpheaux fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jan 29, 2012

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Yeah, Comcast called me last year and just said "you are downloading a lot, and if you continue to do so during peak hours then you might be banned for a year. That was with the caveat that after 6 months the threat goes away and then will just call with a warning again. The guy didn't even mention anything about what I was doing and was generally really cool about it.

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010
ISPs can not legally monitor or view what you are downloading anyways, so it would not hold up in court, so the paranoia over ssl or no ssl is a little unfounded. If you have to use it because of throttling so be it but i dont think it is worth it beyond that. Usenet veterans got along without SSL for years without problems.

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

I'm a freakin' blur here!
Does anyone have a good recommendation for an Android app that will let me add nzb links from, say, NZBMatrix directly to my home PC running sabnzbd? Not many of the ones on the Market are free and I'd rather keep my sabnzbd/NZBMatrix API keys secure instead of trying half a dozen free apps.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

Sunblood posted:

Does anyone have a good recommendation for an Android app that will let me add nzb links from, say, NZBMatrix directly to my home PC running sabnzbd? Not many of the ones on the Market are free and I'd rather keep my sabnzbd/NZBMatrix API keys secure instead of trying half a dozen free apps.

I'm not sure if there's an easier trick right now than having the sabnzbd black hole folder be a dropbox folder, and when downloading your nzbs, just put the download in that folder. The obvious advantage to this is it working from anywhere, not just your phone.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006

wattershed posted:

I'm not sure if there's an easier trick right now than having the sabnzbd black hole folder be a dropbox folder, and when downloading your nzbs, just put the download in that folder. The obvious advantage to this is it working from anywhere, not just your phone.

I do this. Works great.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Sunblood posted:

SAB Sheep has SAB queue management and NZBmatrix searching. I use it and it's fantastic.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

SlipperyNipple posted:

ISPs can not legally monitor or view what you are downloading anyways, so it would not hold up in court, so the paranoia over ssl or no ssl is a little unfounded. If you have to use it because of throttling so be it but i dont think it is worth it beyond that. Usenet veterans got along without SSL for years without problems.

Sure they can. In the US and probably in most other countries as well.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

SlipperyNipple posted:

Err, yes they can.., especially in the US

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

Biowarfare posted:

Note that while they CAN do this, they don't go out and actively police what's being downloaded. Under current law, any actual litigation would have to be initiated by a rights holder. With torrents it's easy for a rights holder to roll on into a torrent with several thousand peers and send out blanket requests to all the ISP's they find to initiate the process. With Usenet there's no way for a third party to see what you're doing, so there's no one available to bitch at your ISP.

Still a good idea to use SSL, though.

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.
So I have Sabnzbd 6.9.0 running on my Windows Home Server as a service.
My problem is that as soon as a download goes into verifying/repairing/unpacking it brings the whole system to a standstill until it is done. It is a hassle because I use the server for streaming videos and music.
Is it possible to set the amount of processing threads for the various process involved, or in other ways limit it?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

therunningman posted:

So I have Sabnzbd 6.9.0 running on my Windows Home Server as a service.
My problem is that as soon as a download goes into verifying/repairing/unpacking it brings the whole system to a standstill until it is done. It is a hassle because I use the server for streaming videos and music.
Is it possible to set the amount of processing threads for the various process involved, or in other ways limit it?

How many cores do you have?

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.
2, it is a Core i3.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Home server v1? I remember having these issues because of drive extender, I am on 2011 now and no disk issues.

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

Biowarfare posted:

Really? How will that work out with their legal common carrier status? They can't have there cake and eat it too. That isnt to say that deep in the network at some ISP some techy nerds arent looking at everything you do without the ISP as a company knowing, but they can not say we saw you looking at CP last night we are sending the cops after you.

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002
Here to blow my own horn.

inpheaux posted:

Note that while they CAN do this, they don't go out and actively police what's being downloaded. Under current law, any actual litigation would have to be initiated by a rights holder. With torrents it's easy for a rights holder to roll on into a torrent with several thousand peers and send out blanket requests to all the ISP's they find to initiate the process. With Usenet there's no way for a third party to see what you're doing, so there's no one available to bitch at your ISP.

Still a good idea to use SSL, though.

More importantly, they actually have an active incentive not to inspect your traffic.

DMCA safe harbor and other provisions for an ISP hinge on the fact that they are little more than a 'dumb pipe.' When they start moving to content inspection for one type of content, they become liable for all content. This is why Comcast cable doesn't inspect your downloads for NBC/Universal content. Because once they have actual knowledge of what the content is, they become just as responsible as the user. This is why torrents are so easy to check, they don't have to inspect the pipe, they go to the source and pool the swarm for the 10,000 IP's that are on the Hurt Locker or whatever. From there, it's robosubpoena time.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

KennyG posted:

More importantly, they actually have an active incentive not to inspect your traffic.

DMCA safe harbor and other provisions for an ISP hinge on the fact that they are little more than a 'dumb pipe.' When they start moving to content inspection for one type of content, they become liable for all content. This is why Comcast cable doesn't inspect your downloads for NBC/Universal content. Because once they have actual knowledge of what the content is, they become just as responsible as the user. This is why torrents are so easy to check, they don't have to inspect the pipe, they go to the source and pool the swarm for the 10,000 IP's that are on the Hurt Locker or whatever. From there, it's robosubpoena time.
What's the legality of live datastream modification? Mediacom/ATT has replaced existing site ads with their own, tried to MITM, and other fun things like loading their own javascript on each non-https page (see perftech). They also intercepted all 404 statuses (from any valid site - like somethingawful.com/asfjiaofjq would result in
http://assist.mediacomcable.com being loaded), using anything non encrypted (wget, etc, using other dns servers)

And literally every single 'big boy' US ISP does dns hijacking and returning false records.

Impotence fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jan 30, 2012

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

SlipperyNipple posted:

Really? How will that work out with their legal common carrier status? They can't have there cake and eat it too. That isnt to say that deep in the network at some ISP some techy nerds arent looking at everything you do without the ISP as a company knowing, but they can not say we saw you looking at CP last night we are sending the cops after you.

Simple, they don't have common carrier status. They're a data service which is a new class that lets them have cake and eat it.

KennyG posted:

Incorrect. Active monitoring and other forms of proactive responses do not remove safe harbors despite lawsuits to the contrary.

Biowarfare posted:

And literally every single 'big boy' US ISP does dns hijacking and returning false records.

Comcast had to stop doing that when they implemented DNS-SEC. The others will have to do likewise.

jarito
Aug 26, 2003

Biscuit Hider
Running into some problems that I hope you all can help. I have Sickbeard, SABnzbd and CouchPotato on my Windows box. Two issues have recent cropped up.

1. SickBeard doesn't seem to want to download anything. Shows just pile up as missed, but if I got and manually kick off the search (by clicking next to a particular episode) it seems to find it just fine.

2. Just upgraded to 50 MBits from Time Warner, but my download from Supernews seems to never get higher than 1.6/1.7 MBytes. I don't expect to get the full 6.25, but speedtest shows me running at 50. Should I get a different news provider? If so, which one?

Lastly - To those having issues with CouchPotato. In the settings, it defaults to not downloading anything over 300 days. If you have a longer retention, up it in the settings and it should start finding things.

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

duz posted:

Simple, they don't have common carrier status. They're a data service which is a new class that lets them have cake and eat it.

Incorrect. Active monitoring and other forms of proactive responses do not remove safe harbors despite lawsuits to the contrary.

Do you have a case or citation that illustrates this? Has someone been busted because their ISP has tattle tailed on them?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

jarito posted:

1. SickBeard doesn't seem to want to download anything. Shows just pile up as missed, but if I got and manually kick off the search (by clicking next to a particular episode) it seems to find it just fine.

Config > Search Settings > Search Frequency

Maybe the issue is there somewhere.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

jarito posted:

2. Just upgraded to 50 MBits from Time Warner, but my download from Supernews seems to never get higher than 1.6/1.7 MBytes. I don't expect to get the full 6.25, but speedtest shows me running at 50. Should I get a different news provider? If so, which one?

Also running Supernews. I have 27Mbit service from Cox in AZ. I usually get 2.8 to 3.0 MBytes per second.

Do you have SSL turned on?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

jarito posted:

If you mean the $99 wideband package, last I checked it's actually "up to" 30/3 or 30/5 (expect massive oversubscribing too) with some of those "boost" marketing crap.

jarito
Aug 26, 2003

Biscuit Hider

PirateDentist posted:

Also running Supernews. I have 27Mbit service from Cox in AZ. I usually get 2.8 to 3.0 MBytes per second.

Do you have SSL turned on?

Yep. Using:

server: news.supernews.com
port: 443
connections: 30
retention: 1155
timeout: 120
enabled and ssl checked

jarito
Aug 26, 2003

Biscuit Hider

Biowarfare posted:

If you mean the $99 wideband package, last I checked it's actually "up to" 30/3 or 30/5 (expect massive oversubscribing too) with some of those "boost" marketing crap.

Understood. However, speedtest wise, I'm hitting 50 and I would expect to see some fluctuation if it was congestion related, but I'm seeing a pretty steady 1.6 / 1.7 which is what I had before I upgraded the speed.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

jarito posted:

Understood. However, speedtest wise, I'm hitting 50 and I would expect to see some fluctuation if it was congestion related, but I'm seeing a pretty steady 1.6 / 1.7 which is what I had before I upgraded the speed.

the 'boost' doesn't really apply to usenet or ssl traffic I think?

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Do other kinds of downloads or FTP hit closer to 6.25MB/s? If so, you may be being throttled by your provider or might be throttling yourself with QoS on your router.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

jarito posted:

If it's anything like Charter's boost or whatever you call it, you only get the boosted speed for a few megabytes or something.

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

Biowarfare posted:

The $99 wideband package with TW is 50/5...the 30/5 package is called RR Extreme and it is $10 more a month than turbo, which is $10 more a month than standard. I believe those are the only standardized speed tiers across the TW footprints.

jarito
Aug 26, 2003

Biscuit Hider

bort posted:

Do other kinds of downloads or FTP hit closer to 6.25MB/s? If so, you may be being throttled by your provider or might be throttling yourself with QoS on your router.

Downloaded something from dropbox and jumped on a popular torrent and reached 3.5 MB. Better, but still not great.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

jarito posted:

I was having this problem too, and updating SickBeard solved the problem. All of a sudden 17 downloads got queued up in SAB after the update.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

jarito posted:

Downloaded something from dropbox and jumped on a popular torrent and reached 3.5 MB. Better, but still not great.

3.5MB is pretty drat good, geez you spoiled people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Nitr0 posted:

3.5MB is pretty drat good, geez you spoiled people.

It's actually really loving horrible once you realise that the only reason it isn't 10.0MB+ is because of greed, monopolies, and taxpayer money being used as C-level bonuses