Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I can't believe anyone's upset about Bad Box Art Mega Man, this is an awesome joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

SamBishop posted:

Wait, how has this not made it into the thread already?

Capcom announced the exclusives for Street Fighter X Tekken if you pick up the PlayStation 3/Vita versions: Mega Man in all his pudgy glory from the NES cover, Cole and the cat mascots you probably already knew about, and Pac-Man driving a Mokujin-style robot.

No, really:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0YOOmU1Jko&hd=1

Hahaha YOU FUCKERS WANT MEGAMAN IN MVC3 FINE

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Orzo posted:

I'd like to play Resistance 3. Do I need to play the first two to get it?

Its a video game where you shoot aliens with large guns. You don't need a master's degree in literature to understand the complexities of the plot.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

From what I understand Resistance 3 is divorced from the whole Nathan Hale plot of the first two games and is its own thing.

vvv See, there you go. Shoot mans.

Policenaut fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jan 28, 2012

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Policenaut posted:

From what I understand Resistance 3 is divorced from the whole Nathan Hale plot of the first two games and is its own thing.

Hale dies. Shoot things.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Policenaut posted:

The single player is also really, really good I thought. No regenerating health at all (except a cheat code). You don't really need the others two to enjoy it either.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Surlaw posted:

I can't believe anyone's upset about Bad Box Art Mega Man, this is an awesome joke.
Yeah, seriously. I mean I guess I can understand about the Megaman series being tossed out in general but deal with it, Inafune left.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, seriously. I mean I guess I can understand about the Megaman series being tossed out in general but deal with it, Inafune left.

The best part about it was that it was Inafune's idea. Ono talked with him a year ago about SFxT and he suggested it!

I love it!

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
I just finished all of God of War Origins. All platinum on all God of War games for me. :hellyeah:

Ghost of Sparta is a great game and anyone that enjoyed the past God of War games should play it. Even without the high-resolution updates, I don't know how Ready At Dawn managed to make some of those environments on a PSP.

Thera's Bane, adding flames, sticky bombs and more damage with the blades, was the best God of War weapon I've used. It made it possible to follow every parry with an instant sticky bomb. Then when they try to attack you again, the bomb explodes, and some of them get knocked out for a few seconds. The Spartan shield and spear were also great weapons, but the game never mentioned that they were more powerful than the blades. I found that out after reading a guide.

There was some talk in here about how Kratos was always angry in other God of War games. He wasn't always angry in this game. He was very calm throughout his walk through Sparta, even thanking some soldiers for their loyalty. After Kratos freed Deimos, Deimos started beating up Kratos for taking too long to save him. Kratos just gave a blank stare at Deimos, not wanting to hurt him while getting beat up. After Deimos dies in the end, Kratos slowly carries Deimos to a grave near the entrance to Olympus.

I didn't like that the game teased co-op play with Deimos, but it was only with the final battle. I would have loved to replay the game with co-op.

The game finally revealed who the grave digger from God of War really was: Surprise, it was Zeus. But this was only shown after getting all the items in a unlocked temple and grabbing a relic underneath it.

Chains of Olympus was okay, but it was easy. At least it showed why Persephone was dead in God of War 3.

Also, someone asked when the PSP games exist in the God of War timeline. It goes like this:
Chains of Olympus (Kratos: "I am just a slave to the gods :(")
God of War
Ghost of Sparta (Sparta soldiers: "All hail Lord Kratos, the god of war!")
God of War 2
God of War 3

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Anybody been looking forward to Ninja Gaiden 3? http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-ninja-gaiden-3-preview/17-5597/

They're playing some preview code which is apparently what was at E3. I have never been a huge fan of this series, but this just looks bad. It looks like they stripped out everything from the fighting engine that people actually liked about these games. Not to mention the story and atmosphere is completely stupid. I mean I know that's kind of goes hand in hand with these types of games, but if you're going to make a shallow button masher you could at least put in the effort to make the story interesting so people have a reason to keep playing.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ninja Gaiden 1 and 2 were really good games, but NG3 looks terrible.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I'm working on beating Assassin's Creed 2 before I start Yakuza 4. I enjoyed AC1 despite its fault but for some reason the story and atmosphere of 2 doesn't grip me. The Assassin's Creed series is starting to feel like a chore and I have only gotten to the 2nd one.

Anyways, are there any side quests that are dire for story or just really cool experiences? Like the armor from the assassin's tomb? I want to know what is worth doing as I am basically just drilling on the main missions. I'm just starting sequence 8.

Once I'm done this game I'm not sure if I will play brotherhood and revelations until they are bargin bin and I have lots of time...or hope that AC3 will have a nice recap video.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
It's been awhile since AC2 but I don't think any side quests contain much important data. You might want to find all the glyphs and do the puzzles, but the reward for that is a really short video and that's about it.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

EC posted:

You might want to find all the glyphs and do the puzzles, but the reward for that is a really short video and that's about it.

It was pretty fun trying to figure out what the final video would be when unlocking the short clips, though. Much better than the crap that was in Brotherhood.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

blackguy32 posted:

By all accounts, I hear that Yakuza 4 is better than 3 and after playing 2, I found 3 to be mediocre.

Its a solid game though, so if you're ever bored for some more Yakuza goodness, then 3 is worth a play. But if you have to choose between the two, then get 4.

Yakuza 3 does have some awesome missions and substories in it, like the Cafe Alps Murder investigation and one incredibly badass fight towards the end. But more importantly it's another diplomacy-by-fists simulator and that's never a bad thing.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

notZaar posted:

They're playing some preview code which is apparently what was at E3. I have never been a huge fan of this series, but this just looks bad. It looks like they stripped out everything from the fighting engine that people actually liked about these games. Not to mention the story and atmosphere is completely stupid. I mean I know that's kind of goes hand in hand with these types of games, but if you're going to make a shallow button masher you could at least put in the effort to make the story interesting so people have a reason to keep playing.

Ninja Gaiden 2 was absurdly over-the-top, but it was definitely slightly tongue-in-cheek. Remember near the end, where Ryu is ascending the cursed mountain to enter the volcano lair of the ancient demon-gods? And he's stopped half-way up because he forgot his box lunch? After all, he can't go to work (and he probably does this poo poo every day) without his lunch!

I'm not seeing anything like that in the new one. Tecmo have made a lot of noise about 'feeling' for the people you're killing, having them beg and scream, etc. Because y'know - grimdark.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Team Ninja's recent output has proven that while he might be an rear end in a top hat, Itagaki is a really good game maker who was the sole reason that Team Ninja was any good.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I know the new NG isn't very NGey but it still looks fun to me. Bloody dude chopping with the usual 60fps solid polished NG gameplay sounds like a good time.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

axleblaze posted:

Team Ninja's recent output has proven that while he might be an rear end in a top hat, Itagaki is a really good game maker who was the sole reason that Team Ninja was any good.

Hey now, Dead or Alive: Dimensions was pretty good, though I understand it was basically a port of Dead or Alive 2, so that may not be the best example.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Kilometers Davis posted:

I know the new NG isn't very NGey but it still looks fun to me. Bloody dude chopping with the usual 60fps solid polished NG gameplay sounds like a good time.

That's just the problem though, it's not the same gameplay. If you watch the quick-look video the dude specifically comments that most of the time he's just mashing light attack and the game does all those combos for him, it sounds like DMC's easy-automatic mode.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Just got an email on my PS3 from Sega letting me know that Daytona USA was just $4.99. I grabbed that game so fast.
My daughter and I have been having a blast with it. It was one of the reasons I got a Sega Saturn.

Are there any fun, arcade-like racers like it? Are there any with LOCAL multiplayer??

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

notZaar posted:

That's just the problem though, it's not the same gameplay. If you watch the quick-look video the dude specifically comments that most of the time he's just mashing light attack and the game does all those combos for him, it sounds like DMC's easy-automatic mode.

Even that isn't the problem. The big problem is the glowy-death-arm charge attack which gives you an invincible win-button cutscene attack. When I played it at E3, that utterly ruined any chance the game had of being fun.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Even that isn't the problem. The big problem is the glowy-death-arm charge attack which gives you an invincible win-button cutscene attack. When I played it at E3, that utterly ruined any chance the game had of being fun.

How is it different than Ninpo?

I haven't paid attention to 3 since E3 when it became obvious that Team Ninja didn't know what they were doing, but I'm actually morbidly curious. I remember Ninpo was a special magic attack that (I think) you were invincible for that was more or less a panic button that players had to earn by defeating enemies and still had to gauge the risk/reward of because of the loss of the end stage bonus (and didn't Ninpo-killed enemies not drop essence?)

Is it like literally a cutscene where Ryu Hayabusa like uses his new stupid looking arm to kill dudes? Also does he still get his sword stuck in guys if he hits them "too hard"?

WOLF KIDULT MAN
Jun 13, 2008
After my original 80GB was stolen and pawned by a junkie roommate, I recently reacquired a used PS3, same model, and took advantage of the recent B2G2/1 offers from retail to rebuild my library. Among them, Bayonetta, which I have been attempting to install for the better part of the morning after patching but every time I try the installation fails and the system directs me back to the XMB to delete the game data and try again. Is my game disc hosed? I don't think I have the receipt anymore. Sheeit.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Have you checked the back of the disc to see if its clean? Like any dirt or weird stuff on it? Blu-ray is a lot more sensitive than DVDs and it throws a shitfit if it gets dirty. I remember buying Dragon Age new and had the same problem where the game wouldn't install, only for me to check the back and see a huge rear end thumbprint on the disc. Cleaned it, installed fine.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

WOLF KIDULT MAN posted:

After my original 80GB was stolen and pawned by a junkie roommate, I recently reacquired a used PS3, same model, and took advantage of the recent B2G2/1 offers from retail to rebuild my library. Among them, Bayonetta, which I have been attempting to install for the better part of the morning after patching but every time I try the installation fails and the system directs me back to the XMB to delete the game data and try again. Is my game disc hosed? I don't think I have the receipt anymore. Sheeit.

I've had similar problems with certain games doing this. What works for me is to disconnect the PS3 from the internet, install, then reconnect and download the patches. Strange workaround but it works!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Policenaut posted:

I haven't paid attention to 3 since E3 when it became obvious that Team Ninja didn't know what they were doing, but I'm actually morbidly curious. I remember Ninpo was a special magic attack that (I think) you were invincible for that was more or less a panic button that players had to earn by defeating enemies and still had to gauge the risk/reward of because of the loss of the end stage bonus (and didn't Ninpo-killed enemies not drop essence?)

Imagine if Ninpo was something you could use every fight and (at least in the demo) didn't get any penalty for using. The red-arm bullshit is more like an upgrade to the Ultimate charge attacks you could do in previous games but even moreso. Maybe the final version will be different, but every fight in the demo was "kill a couple dudes, ARM IS GLOWIN' RED, Ryu kills everyone else in an uncontrollable attack sequence."

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
What is the proper way to have PSEye on a Windows 7 machine? It's 100% not plug and play, and there's so many different methods I'm confused. I just want to use it as a webcam.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

What is the proper way to have PSEye on a Windows 7 machine?

You'll want the CL-Eye driver from here. It won't work natively otherwise.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
So just how bad is Splatterhouse? It's $10 at K-Mart which is really poking my impulse buy button.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

RichterIX posted:

So just how bad is Splatterhouse? It's $10 at K-Mart which is really poking my impulse buy button.

Personally, I think I got at least $10 worth of enjoyment out of it, and I was not a Splatterhouse fan back in the day. Jim Cummings does some good voice work as the Mask, and there is a perverse thrill from hearing the voice of Winnie the Pooh and Darkwing Duck spout some really raw poo poo in that role. It's fairly bloody and brutal (as you'd imagine), but that stuff isn't really as shocking now as it was back in the NES days. (Also, if you did like those TG16/Genesis Splatterhouse games (1, 2, and 3 that is), those are all unlockable and playable in this.) The story, such as it is, isn't really anything to write home about (or really very good), but its not super-duper terrible either, and there are some mildly amusing one-liners. Also: I hope you like metal.

Mechanically it's fairly par for the course for that kind of God of War style game, with combos and new moves unlocking with whatever they call experience points or whatnot. The game will sometimes go into side-scroller mode to mix it up some, though that can be a little frustrating. The rare times when the game lurches into 3D platforming are probably the worst moments, as they usually are in God of War and such.

The game is probably about 6-10 hours or so, depending on difficulty level and how many collectibles (pieces of nudie/scantily clad photos of your girlfriend, natch) you go for. If you're into that kind of God of War style action game, you could probably do worse for $10.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Oh hey, we're getting a Syndicate and Twisted Metal demo tomorrow.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

RichterIX posted:

Splatterhouse is worth $10. It's fun but for most of the game it's too easy, until the end where it becomes pure bullshit. The game essentially has a instant heal button that also hurts enemies. You can recharge it pretty quickly to. By the end of the game they start throwing so many enemies at you that it cancels out this move. It also cancels out almost anything else you can do against them.

It also has the single worst boss of the game I've ever seen in a game. I say this without exaggeration. I'm still stunned when I remember how bad that boss was.

Overall it's a standard GoW clone, in that it's no where near as good as GoW, but it's still fun. I also might be the only person that had no problems with the sidescrolling levels and found them to be a highlight, so be warned about that I guess.

Still, it's fun enough for ten bucks. Getting the three original Splatterhouse games alone is worth ten bucks.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Harlock posted:

Would rather have a HD remake of Syndicate Wars.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

I would say that Splatterhouse is worth the $10 they're asking for. I enjoyed it when I played it but the only thing that bugged me was that for all the brutal melee in that game, the hits just didn't sound very satisfying. Oh well, it's only :10bux:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Anyone get Syndicate Wars off the PSN from Europe? Is it any good?

I'm kind of interested in Syndicate for PS3, maybe the demo will be decent? No way in hell am I picking it up day one but maybe it'll be worth playing.

Skittle Wood
Dec 10, 2005

Harlock posted:

My roommate and I are huge Twisted Metal fans, we've been waiting on this game for way too long. That demo's gonna get the poo poo played out of it.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Same here. My friends and I are huge Twisted Metal fans and have been drooling over the gameplay videos of the game ever since it was revealed at E3. It really does look like an incredible game.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I hope Syndicate is good, but I haven't seen any hype on it at all, and it was just barely announced and then given a release date.

Twisted Metal I don't care about, it just doesn't look that good, but nothing to lose by playing the demo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skittle Wood
Dec 10, 2005

I heard the Black download is coming without the cutscenes. I'm going to a Twisted Metal event thursday, if I get a chance I'll ask Jaffe about it.

• Locked thread