Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Splizwarf posted:

Turns out I should have listened to myself and everyone else and done... I don't know, something. Should I have just quit?

I still can't afford a decent chair and work's still not buying anyone anything special, but I have a slipped disc now; please advise.
Just checked on your previous posts... This is a chair made for people 6'7": http://www.ergocomfortwest.com/Office-Master/Paramount-Value/PTYM-TALL-(Yao-Ming)-p85.html

No, it's not cheap. No specialty ergonomic chairs are. But you NEED a specialty chair or you'll continue to have severe medical issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
... They named it after Yao Ming but didn't make it strong enough to support his weight? The limit on that one is 300 lbs. :(

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

The weight capacities have a little leeway in them - they generally exceed the durability needed to accommodate 300 lbs. As long as you're within about 25 lbs it should be fine.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
I'm between 335 and 340 depending on the week.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I think you should be alright. I've seen ~375 lb people using 300 lb capacity chairs and they seem to hold up. It just technically breaks the 12 year warranty, but you don't have to tell anyone that.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Oh my god. I thought I got such a good deal at Office Depot getting the Realspace Calusa chair for half off ($99 instead of $195), and I put this whole drat thing together (it's heavy as poo poo by the end of it), sat down, and four of the loving wheels popped off.

I have never been this pissed off and exhausted. gently caress you Office Depot :argh:

e: nevermind, just needed to put more force into it :negative:

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jan 10, 2012

Ben Murphy
Sep 9, 2001

I like him in spite of the fact that he's not me.
?

Ben Murphy fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Sep 30, 2014

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

grady posted:

To those wondering about the long term durability of Steelcase chairs, particularly Think, my pneumatic cylinder finally started to give out last week. I purchased the chair brand new in 2005. I picked up a $30 replacement on Ebay, changed it out myself, and ignoring the shoe marks I leave on the base legs, it's back to like new.
If it's still within the warranty (might be 7, 10, or 12 year) Steelcase should replace the cylinder free of charge. Find a local rep and give them a call.

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

2005? My Aeron's gas cylinder just gave out. It was made in 1997. :smug:

I'm planning on ditching my Aeron to pick up an Embody. I tried an Embody today and it was really nice.

Anyone have suggestions for Balance vs Rhythm fabric? I tried them both, but only briefly. The balance fabric seemed a bit more springy and I think the rhythm was a bit softer to the touch. Which is actually more comfortable on your rear end and back over time?

Protagonist
Apr 2, 2004
[b]text[/b]
I'm about 4 years into a pair of Steelcase Leaps and love the things. I was basically like everyone else here and buying stationary store poo poo yearly until I got these.

I ordered them directly from steelcase and paid for that pleasure. But the poo poo did show up fully assembled in big rear end boxes like 3 days later. It's a small thing, but not having to put together a chair I bought was the most amazing thing ever at the time.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Does anyone know of any techniques or hack to get rid of lateral side-to-side movement in chairs? It feels like it is play where the cylinder goes into the chair itself. I've flipped it over and tightened down the tilt tension and added some torque on all the bolts, but the thing is still wobbling like a $100 cheapo. I'm thinking perhaps like a nylon collar or something that goes between the cylinder and chair itself.

At this point I'm not too impressed with Aeron, as this is the second one we've had which has started to wobble.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

WorkingStiff posted:

Does anyone know of any techniques or hack to get rid of lateral side-to-side movement in chairs? It feels like it is play where the cylinder goes into the chair itself. I've flipped it over and tightened down the tilt tension and added some torque on all the bolts, but the thing is still wobbling like a $100 cheapo. I'm thinking perhaps like a nylon collar or something that goes between the cylinder and chair itself.

At this point I'm not too impressed with Aeron, as this is the second one we've had which has started to wobble.

If they're Aerons, call up Herman Miller and bitch, they've always been really good about taking care of problems for us.

ilovemyducks
Nov 1, 2006
HI MOM!
Z

ilovemyducks fucked around with this message at 04:59 on May 31, 2023

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
Anybody know an office supply liquidator in the Montreal area?

peanut gallery
Aug 15, 2006
I got a big rear end lazy boy chair, and surf in total bliss.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Echo_ posted:

Soma chairs are pretty popular in Silicon Valley. http://somaergo.com/ The chairs are modular, so you if you want a different back or armrests, you can just buy that part.

Some of those look kinda like Sigmund Freud's chair.

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

Reposting to try to get the attention of jerks with Herman Miller Embody:

titaniumone posted:

Anyone have suggestions for Balance vs Rhythm fabric? I tried them both, but only briefly. The balance fabric seemed a bit more springy and I think the rhythm was a bit softer to the touch. Which is actually more comfortable on your rear end and back over time?

Dimitri ExZemos
Aug 9, 2006
Dimitri
I contacted a local vendor to see if we'd be able to get a group discount on Mirra chairs. Obviously the discount would depend on the number of people ordering. The gentlemen said he'd get a quote on a low amount of chairs and work with us from there when we find out how many are interested.

These are the chairs, fully loaded:

http://www.hermanmiller.com/Products/Mirra-Chairs

This is the vendor:

http://www.stamfordofficefurniture.com/contact.htm

They ship to private residences and offices. Someone must be available to accept the delivery as well. We'd have to iron out the details of payment prior to ordering. Maybe start a group Paypal account and have everyone put money in, place the order, and confirm individual shipping status.

This is a huge hypothetical so let me know how much interest there is.

Thanks!

paradigmm
May 28, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'd be interested in a few if they are cheap.

I just picked up an Embody for $700 and it is excellent.

Chow-King
May 24, 2003

"I could kiss you on the nuts."
I'd be interested as well.

MacDeuce
Oct 23, 2010
Probably interested if I could get one to Canada (Montreal).

Dimitri ExZemos
Aug 9, 2006
Dimitri

MacDeuce posted:

Probably interested if I could get one to Canada (Montreal).

I would likely have to ship it to myself then ship it to you. Not sure what that would be cost wise but add a considerable amount.

I'm working two different fronts, one on the USED chairs and one on NEW chairs. I'll post back here when I can get numbers back from the vendors.

trinary
Jul 21, 2003

College Slice
I'd definitely be interested.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

When I was first looking for a nice chair one of the ones I considered was a Humanscale Freedom, but I wasn't able to try one out at the time so I went with a Mirra instead. Now I've managed to try one I really want one, however when I was trying it I didn't find a way to raise or lower the arms - does anyone know if one can do that?

Dimitri ExZemos
Aug 9, 2006
Dimitri
Fully loaded chairs usually have the adjustable armrests. You may have sat in one that did not have the option.

As an update to my previous post regarding ordering chairs in bulk, I received an initial quote from the first vendor for NEW fully loaded chairs. Cost per chair would be $755.21 and would include shipping to any location in the US.

I am waiting to hear back from the used office furniture vendors to see what their bulk ordering discounts are and at what quantity it would apply. Unfortunately, for the NEW chairs, the bulk discount wouldn't apply without ordering at least 100ish chairs.

Post in response or PM me if you are interested in buying in with us and I'll flesh out the details further. I'll likely start an SA Mart thread and just link to it from here so as to not clutter this discussion.

I can recall a few other cases where goons banded together to purchase items in bulk. In particular, there was a Lenovo thread where people got a ridiculous cost per laptop price for ordering around 50ish laptops. If we can get the same thing going here, I'm sure I can coordinate it.

Jack_tripper
Jun 7, 2009

Dimitri ExZemos posted:

As an update to my previous post regarding ordering chairs in bulk, I received an initial quote from the first vendor for NEW fully loaded chairs. Cost per chair would be $755.21 and would include shipping to any location in the US.

Unfortunately, for the NEW chairs, the bulk discount wouldn't apply without ordering at least 100ish chairs.

just to be clear, the $755 is with the bulk discount? $45 off seems pretty meh

also there are a couple of office furniture stores in the city I live in that have online stock of used chairs, upon calling 2 of them both said their sites aren't really updated so they probably didn't have any of that inventory in-stock anymore

thanks for taking the time to photograph and categorize all that stuff I can't buy...

Jack_tripper fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jan 27, 2012

Dimitri ExZemos
Aug 9, 2006
Dimitri

Jack_tripper posted:

just to be clear, the $755 is with the bulk discount? $45 off seems pretty meh

also there are a couple of office furniture stores in the city I live in that have online stock of used chairs, upon calling 2 of them both said their sites aren't really updated so they probably didn't have any of that inventory in-stock anymore

thanks for taking the time to photograph and categorize all that stuff I can't buy...

$755 is without a bulk discount, just their reseller discount. Buying direct from HM will be approximately $919 fully loaded + $29 for shipping.

Mind you, I'm not saying $755 is cheap by any means, that's just one data point and it's about $200 less than ordering direct from Herman Miller. I'm still waiting on a used furniture reseller to give me a better and cheaper quote on fully loaded USED Mirra chairs.

Edit: Here is the quote I got back from them, the first price is for a non-loaded basic Mirra chair. It would be like buying an OfficeDepot chair for 5 times the price though...

Dimitri ExZemos fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jan 27, 2012

Dimitri ExZemos
Aug 9, 2006
Dimitri
Used ones are firm in price, no bulk discounts available. Fully loaded $400 with free shipping:

http://www.nationalofficeliquidators.com/products/herman-miller-mirra-fully-featured-mesh-seat

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Dimitri ExZemos posted:

Used ones are firm in price, no bulk discounts available. Fully loaded $400 with free shipping:

http://www.nationalofficeliquidators.com/products/herman-miller-mirra-fully-featured-mesh-seat

This is loving awesome, I've been looking for a Criterion for months on craigslist and the like!

Dimitri ExZemos
Aug 9, 2006
Dimitri
$400 is a pretty solid price for a fully loaded Mirra. I was trying to get references from the company before I ordered one myself. I did manage to speak to a sales rep from there so it seems legit.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Dimitri ExZemos posted:

Son of a bitch, why didn't I know about this site earlier. Better prices here than local stuff. Wonder if they have a minimum quantity.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Every time I read that truncated link, I keep seeing "turd mesh seat", which sounds like we're looking at a pretty high-end Goonthrone.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
Anyone ever use one of these? I sat on one and it seemed pretty okay.

http://www.staples.com/Tempur-Pedic-TP8000-Ergonomic-Mesh-Mid-Back-Task-Chair-Black/product-nr_324599

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Looks pretty bad; I sat in one yesterday and it was really uncomfortable. Pick up a used Steelcase Leap V1 off of CL for 125-175 and thank your back later.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
Will do, thanks.

edit: I'm kind of nervous about putting down money on something I've never sat in. I found this: http://www.nationalofficeliquidators.com/products/steelcase-leap-charcoal-gray-task-chair

Seems like a great price, as my local CL doesn't have anything listed. Are they really that good?

epic Kingdom Hearts LP fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jan 30, 2012

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Dimitri ExZemos posted:

Fully loaded chairs usually have the adjustable armrests. You may have sat in one that did not have the option.

I am waiting to hear back from the used office furniture vendors to see what their bulk ordering discounts are and at what quantity it would apply. Unfortunately, for the NEW chairs, the bulk discount wouldn't apply without ordering at least 100ish chairs.

Post in response or PM me if you are interested in buying in with us and I'll flesh out the details further. I'll likely start an SA Mart thread and just link to it from here so as to not clutter this discussion.

I can recall a few other cases where goons banded together to purchase items in bulk. In particular, there was a Lenovo thread where people got a ridiculous cost per laptop price for ordering around 50ish laptops. If we can get the same thing going here, I'm sure I can coordinate it.

How much would the Embody be?

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

titaniumone posted:

Reposting to try to get the attention of jerks with Herman Miller Embody:

Jerk with an Embody here. I have black balance fabric on mine, and it's very comfortable and springy. It's also much smoother than the rhythm fabric.

Dimitri ExZemos
Aug 9, 2006
Dimitri

Duck and Cover posted:

How much would the Embody be?

You can give them a ring and find out :)

They don't mind doing 1 offs.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Has anyone ever bought one of these? I really dig the original, but there's no way I can justify $1400-1900 for a real one. Hell, for the maybe 10 hours a week I'd actually use the chair, it's hard for me to convince my cheap rear end to even spend $200+ on one, but I really need something to replace the falling-apart 6 year old $20 Ikea chair I've got now.

A lot of the chairs linked in this thread look awfully bulky and, uh, office-y, but the room I'm turning into an office is pretty small. I want something with as little bulk as possible, so the room feels bigger. Is there anything else out there that might fit and isn't massively expensive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

dur posted:

Has anyone ever bought one of these? I really dig the original, but there's no way I can justify $1400-1900 for a real one. Hell, for the maybe 10 hours a week I'd actually use the chair, it's hard for me to convince my cheap rear end to even spend $200+ on one, but I really need something to replace the falling-apart 6 year old $20 Ikea chair I've got now.

A lot of the chairs linked in this thread look awfully bulky and, uh, office-y, but the room I'm turning into an office is pretty small. I want something with as little bulk as possible, so the room feels bigger. Is there anything else out there that might fit and isn't massively expensive?

We had one of the knockoffs in our office for a while and while I thought it looked nice, it wasn't very comfortable. That said, I've got a Steelcase Leap (not in use) in my office and think it's a piece of junk. I'm waiting on a Steelcase Criterion for my home office.