Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon

Iviv posted:

What would someone like the WWE need to do to actually get across that a life threatening injury is not actually an angle, but a real, legit injury? The only way I can see it getting across is through third party news sites, like the wrestling observer or similar reporting it.

I think they would not mention the severity of the injury unless it was truly a life threatening one, or if the performer died. When Mark Henry's knee bent backwards on Smackdown they basically cut away and made no mention of it. An injury would have to be incredibly serious for them to break kayfabe and announce it. I was watching the PPV where Owen died live and after some backstage promo it cut to shots of the crowd and JR began saying something like "I apologize fans, this is live television, sometimes things don't go according to plan" and I immediately thought that Owen was stuck in his harness and they couldn't get him down, and it was something silly. JR then made it clear that he had fallen from the rafters, and it was not part of any story line. He started talking about how Owen was playing the character of the Blue Blazer and was to descend from the rafters to the ring, which was a big break of kayfabe as the Blue Blazer was a comedy character who supposedly nobody knew the true identity of. There were no shots of the ring and the constant repetition of "this is not a storyline" and the genuine looks of despair on their faces and just how Lawler sounded was enough. I tried to check the Internet and every smarky website was crawling or down due to the amount of people checking them for updates and any news about Owen.

It has only happened once, but they made it abundantly clear that it was not fake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Seems like someone forgot this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtDVp3T3t9s

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon

bobkatt013 posted:

Seems like someone forgot this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtDVp3T3t9s

Well yeah, but that was spectacular, and WCW. I think the WWE also showed replays of Joey Mercury's face being exploded by a ladder, but that wasn't life threatening. I guess it depends on how noticeable the actual injury is to the crowd in attendance and the viewers at home.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

That was a gimmick leg he was giving the thumbs up and dancing around shortly after the show went off the air.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Mr. Carlisle posted:

That was a gimmick leg he was giving the thumbs up and dancing around shortly after the show went off the air.

Then he attacked a stunt granny.

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

What a better world it would be if Jarrett had been playing the Blazer that night instead.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Hirams Bitch posted:

What a better world it would be if Jarrett had been playing the Blazer that night instead.

We don't agree on much but I'm onboard with this.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

AtomicDrop posted:

In the case of Owen's fall, Jim Ross said something along the lines of "this is not part of the show", and that was back in 99 when kayfabe still mattered a little more than today.

So I'm guessing if something really serious happened that's how they would get it across.

I'm sorry, I know I'll get a few people disagreeing here, but Vince McMahon is still a horrendous piece of poo poo for continuing the show after someone died in the ring. There's a difference between "send the fans home happy when someone is injured/doesn't show up" and "send the fans home happy when someone was killed because of gross negligence."

EDIT: Also, I was just watching the pre-1999 Royal Rumble interviews and something struck me as really funny and sad. Apparently, in order to better endear themselves to the hip culture at the time, almost every wrestler got themselves face piercings, especially eyebrows. Watching the entire show, this wasn't just for the interviews, these guys (Road Dogg, Undertaker, etc) actually went out and wrestled with all this poo poo in their faces. Now that I think about it, this isn't an actual question, just an observation on how desperate wrestling is sometimes at keeping up with what's "cool".

Pope Corky the IX fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jan 29, 2012

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I'm sorry, I know I'll get a few people disagreeing here, but Vince McMahon is still a horrendous piece of poo poo for continuing the show after someone died in the ring. There's a difference between "send the fans home happy when someone is injured/doesn't show up" and "send the fans home happy when someone was killed because of gross negligence."

EDIT: Also, I was just watching the pre-1999 Royal Rumble interviews and something struck me as really funny and sad. Apparently, in order to better endear themselves to the hip culture at the time, almost every wrestler got themselves face piercings, especially eyebrows. Watching the entire show, this wasn't just for the interviews, these guys (Road Dogg, Undertaker, etc) actually went out and wrestled with all this poo poo in their faces. Now that I think about it, this isn't an actual question, just an observation on how desperate wrestling is sometimes at keeping up with what's "cool".

Football games continue after players die from injury and while wrestling is not a sport it is comparable. It is hard to blame anyone for what they decided minutes after a man plunged to his death.

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

MassRayPer posted:

Football games continue after players die from injury and while wrestling is not a sport it is comparable. It is hard to blame anyone for what they decided minutes after a man plunged to his death.

I think this is the thing - it's a much easier decision to make in hindsight. Vince may have gone on with the show regardless, but it's not fair to act like it was an easy decision when it happened.

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Hirams Bitch posted:

I think this is the thing - it's a much easier decision to make in hindsight. Vince may have gone on with the show regardless, but it's not fair to act like it was an easy decision when it happened.

I think once it happened he was backstage asking everyone if they wanted the show to go on. I think the general consensus was 'Hey, it's what Owen would want.'

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Hirams Bitch posted:

As well, I don't think they knew for sure he was dead until they gave up trying to revive him at the hospital. Granted, it was pretty unlikely that he would have survived a fall like that; maybe if he had landed in the ring instead of the turnbuckle he would have had a better chance.

EDIT: ^^ Also probably that.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Joeslop posted:

As well, I don't think they knew for sure he was dead until they gave up trying to revive him at the hospital. Granted, it was pretty unlikely that he would have survived a fall like that; maybe if he had landed in the ring instead of the turnbuckle he would have had a better chance.

Nah, he was dead in the ring. I still don't give them poo poo about the decision to keep the show going because I'm sure nobody was thinking straight and that's just kind of the default thing to do.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I used to work at a food packing plant. I remember the time i was sent back to work shortly after the drunk Polish guy driving a forklift ran over and severed the foot of the Puerto Rican guy behind him. We just went on with our day.

Not sure what my point is, I'm sorry.

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

I used to work at a food packing plant. I remember the time i was sent back to work shortly after the drunk Polish guy driving a forklift ran over and severed the foot of the Puerto Rican guy behind him. We just went on with our day.

Not sure what my point is, I'm sorry.

Did they put his foot back on?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Burt Buckle posted:

Did they put his foot back on?

No, his foot was severed from the arch down.

Two years later, the woman I was assistant manager to was killed.

Huffington Post - Vodka Sauce Death: Yolanda Gonzalez, Packing Plant Worker, Killed By Falling Bottles Of Vodka Sauce

Pope Corky the IX fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jan 5, 2015

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

No, his foot was severed from the arch down. The president of the company made sure he went with him to the hospital, being that he spoke almost no English, in order to "straighten things out". Which basically amounted to "Simply an accident, don't sue us, everything's fine."

Two years later, the woman I was assistant manager to was killed.

[rul=http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/06/03/vodka-sauce-death-yolanda_n_598916.html]Huffington Post - Vodka Sauce Death: Yolanda Gonzalez, Packing Plant Worker, Killed By Falling Bottles Of Vodka Sauce[/url]

Wtf? You must have two Co-workers here because that story was posted twice in the strange ways someone you know has died thread in gbs.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Wtf? You must have two Co-workers here because that story was posted twice in the strange ways someone you know has died thread in gbs.

My friend, who also worked at the same place, has an SA account as well. So I'm assuming we both found "killed by a falling pallet of vodka sauce" strange enough to post in that thread.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
What are some famous actual shoot promos in wrestling?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

crankdatbatman posted:

The quisi shoot one with Vince Russo about Hogan

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

crankdatbatman posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Is0oHPL-nis

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

crankdatbatman posted:

Are you asking like shoot promos at a promotion that wasn't supposed to happen or just any shoot promos? Because there are dozens and dozens of shoot promos done for radio and for companies like RF Video and Kayfabe Commentaries.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

crankdatbatman posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waBUA6Vfxt8

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Where has Black Ref (Justin King?) been?

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Lone Rogue posted:

Are you asking like shoot promos at a promotion that wasn't supposed to happen or just any shoot promos? Because there are dozens and dozens of shoot promos done for radio and for companies like RF Video and Kayfabe Commentaries.

In the promotion itself, like on TV. Sorry.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

crankdatbatman posted:

No it's cool.

Doug Gilbert is likely one of the best due to the sheer absurdity.

This is my personal favourite because it was planned but not. Pillman got WCW to get him out of his contract to create the "real-ness" of it all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bzzm-RjCuIg

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

crankdatbatman posted:

In that case, none.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

KildarX posted:

Why didn't the following Gimmick ever work out?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyjLbH33kR8

edit: Phantasio's gimmick.

That guy wrestled forever in Memphis as The Spellbinder. He was the definition of mediocre. There was nothing about that left any kind of impression.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Joeslop posted:

Where has Black Ref (Justin King?) been?
Undisclosed surgery in December.
Not work related.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

Deadpool posted:

That guy wrestled forever in Memphis as The Spellbinder. He was the definition of mediocre. There was nothing about that left any kind of impression.

Are we watching the same thing? Did you see all the string he pulled out of his mouth, the thrilling underwear removal of not one but two men?

As for shoots, I think the one Paul even did at one night stand counts simple because he told JBL the only reason he was champion was because Triple How didn't want to work Tuesdays.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

maniacripper posted:

As for shoots, I think the one Paul even did at one night stand counts simple because he told JBL the only reason he was champion was because Triple How didn't want to work Tuesdays.

That particular line was unplanned, but it still qualifies as a worked shoot.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Joey Styles, who is a terrible human being, was told to write his own promo when he quit Raw. Still a worked shoot. There are degrees to this stuff and the best we'll ever really get is "Go out there and say whatever's bugging you." like Heyman has, like Joey Styles did, and like Punk did over the Summer.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Just curious, what makes Joey Styles a terrible human being? I've read a lot about ECW's history and the people involved and never really heard much of anything bad about him.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Cardboard Box posted:

Just curious, what makes Joey Styles a terrible human being? I've read a lot about ECW's history and the people involved and never really heard much of anything bad about him.

I can't remember the exact details, but basically when ECW was going up the shitter, a couple of guys walked out on the company because they needed the money badly. During one of the reunion shows he said about some wrestler during a match: "He goes for the Suicide Dive! Pitty he didn't commit suicide for real" or something like that, and who ever it was ended up killing himself a few years later.

I think, from memory it was Mike Awesome.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Oh, I remember that vividly since I've watched the first One Night Stand many times. It was about Mike Awesome, he said "Mike Awesome with the suicide dive! And it's a drat shame he didn't succeed in taking his own life" or something to that effect. That was pretty harsh, but I wouldn't call him a horrible person over it. I'm sure he probably felt horrible when Awesome actually did end up doing that a couple years afterwards, however.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Cardboard Box posted:

Oh, I remember that vividly since I've watched the first One Night Stand many times. It was about Mike Awesome, he said "Mike Awesome with the suicide dive! And it's a drat shame he didn't succeed in taking his own life" or something to that effect. That was pretty harsh, but I wouldn't call him a horrible person over it. I'm sure he probably felt horrible when Awesome actually did end up doing that a couple years afterwards, however.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Vn25hxBltA
The match vs Tanaka (sound's really out of sync). Styles rips him for the entire first half of the video but the quote in question's about two and a half minutes in.

It occurs to me that this particular segment of commentary is where Cole learned his anti-Bryan character.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Memphis was a very strange place, and I wouldn't even think twice if it were a worked shoot, to be honest.

Cardboard Box posted:

By the end of the match, Joey Styles had mellowed out, and I think I had read that both Awesome and Styles had apologized to one another before he committed suicide.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
He's also one of the IN YOUR FACE conservatives who announces in public he is going to idle his SUV all day on Earth Day. This isn't even hypothetical, this is what he's tweeted. He's dumb AND unoriginal.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Haha, wow. Well, I'm not too hung up over that. I accepted a long time ago that most people in the wrestling business are assholes. I just liked his commentary back in the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier

Cardboard Box posted:

Haha, wow. Well, I'm not too hung up over that. I accepted a long time ago that most people in the wrestling business are assholes. I just liked his commentary back in the day.

Also he stood up to, and knocked out, JBL back when Layfield was being a dick to everyone backstage.