Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

b0g
Jul 18, 2003

No sex and it wad pink not bright red according to her. It looks like it wad an isolated wipe though. She went to the bathroom about 5 more times and nothing on the tissue. She's been feeling fine but she did mention she wad sore diem there like she did a bunch of splits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
My OB gave me two criteria for worrying and immediately going in if I experienced bleeding: if there was cramping accompanying it, or if the bleeding was enough to soak a pad or tampon. If it was neither, she said to just rest for a day or overnight or whatever, and see if it went away on its own. This pregnancy, I haven't experienced any (so far), but I did with my last one and it did just go away on its own pretty quickly. It was just enough to see on the toilet paper, not enough to soak anything.

The soreness could be worrisome, or it could be just usual pregnancy sensitivity-- women have something like 40% more blood when they are pregnant than when they are not. I know that has made most of my body a lot more sensitive both pregnancies. If I was experiencing what she is, I would watch for increases in the soreness and if I felt like it was getting worse, I would go in to be safe.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
Oh God is it catching? Wednesday night I was sitting with my husband, discussing dinner plans and I went to the bathroom. I wiped and there was dark red blood. We went straight to the ER because I had bleeding late-term with my 9 year old so I was worried. Got there and the Triage nurse (male) and the guy that drew my blood work both basically said "You're having a miscarriage, there's nothing we can do about it, you know that right?" So of course I got hysterical.

Yeah, it was a little random placental bleed. Had two ultrasounds (vaginal and external), some morphine for the tear induced migraine, and was sent home. Not bled since! Between that, the ovarian cyst, vomiting, nausea, and rapid water weight gain this kid's going to be grounded till it's 18 for all the trouble it's put me through.

yawnie
Jul 29, 2003
lollerz.
I would file a complaint against that triage nurse. That is absolutely terrible.

As far as taking stuff to the hospital, I found my Boppy useful, though when I got home I much preferred using the My Brest Friend until he was a little bigger. I was DYING to get a nice shower after delivery and took one the next morning, I also brought my most luxurious toiletries since I felt like if I ever deserved to feel pampered, this was the time. But the hospital did have most of what I needed in that area so it wasn't necessary. They also had everything the baby needed including little shirts, but you definitely need a going home outfit and warm blanket and like someone else said, possibly a pacifier for the ride home (it saved us!).

I pretty much over-packed because I wanted to be more than prepared, which was fine with me, but the one thing I wish I'd thought to bring was more bedding for my husband. All he had from the hospital a flat pillow on an uncomfortable, hard "couch" and a thin blanket. I did bring my huge birth ball and was very glad that I did (the hospital didn't have one).

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
Report both of them. I work at a hospital, that poo poo would not fly, especially from a lab tech.

FretforyourLatte
Sep 16, 2010

Put you in my oven!
I also could not wait to get a shower after giving birth. It's the first step to feeling human again. I brought trial sizes of my usual shampoo and body wash, our hospital only has that combo HAIR & BODY WASH crap and I could not get a comb through my hair afterwards when I had my first born. I wish I'd thought to bring a decent sized towel, theirs are only about the size of normal hand towels and they only gave me two. I would absolutely bring the Boppy, it's a lifesaver. Oh, and as far as diapers - this varies by hospital but ours only supplied a size 1 which was gigantic on my 6lb 12oz baby, so I did bring some of the newborn size. Especially considering you can't cover up the cord, the size 1's needed to be folded practically in half to fit properly, it was easier to just use the smaller ones and take home the size 1's they had for use when she got a bit bigger. She's 4 weeks now and 8lb and JUST now beginning to fit the size 1's properly.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
My wife is at 22 weeks, so we're still gearing up the preparation for all this stuff; I've been mentioning things off and on from this thread.

When I mentioned bringing our own towel, though, she said a resolute no. She apparently thinks she's going to be bleeding a bunch (postnatal) and she doesn't want to get blood on the towels.

Is that a common thing after birth, bleeding that much? I'd have thought it stopped by the time you recover enough to want to take a shower.

FretforyourLatte
Sep 16, 2010

Put you in my oven!
Nope, she's right about that. She'll be bleeding heavily for days, moderately for a few weeks. Mine lasted about 3 weeks.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

FretforyourLatte posted:

Nope, she's right about that. She'll be bleeding heavily for days, moderately for a few weeks. Mine lasted about 3 weeks.

So you just dealt with having to clean a bloody towel, I guess?

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

b0g posted:

No sex and it wad pink not bright red according to her. It looks like it wad an isolated wipe though. She went to the bathroom about 5 more times and nothing on the tissue. She's been feeling fine but she did mention she wad sore diem there like she did a bunch of splits.

Sounds stupid, but I managed to scare myself with it a couple of months ago. I was wiping and must have scratched myself internally with my fingernail and it bled pretty much the way you described. Is it possible she was just a bit rough with herself? Also, pregnant women have more blood and a faster heartbeat, so a little cut can bleed quite nastily.

As for the 'doing the splits' feeling, it could be mild SPD. Tell her to keep her legs closed!

Of course, you should always see a doc if you're concerned.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Axiem posted:

I didn't keep bleeding so much that I bloodied up a towel in the time it took me to turn off the shower and dry myself. It's not like there's a blood firehose up there or anything. It was heavier than a normal period, but reasonable enough that my towels were safe. Besides, even if she does get blood on a towel, you can either throw it away (buy one specifically for this purpose maybe?) or wash it with all the underwear she's going to be leaking onto - maternity pads help, but there's going to be some collateral damage in the first few days.

FretforyourLatte
Sep 16, 2010

Put you in my oven!

Axiem posted:

I didn't bring a towel to the hospital, I was saying I WISH I had because their towels suck. Once we were home obviously I was using my own towels, as she will too. We have black towels anyway though so it wasn't an issue for us.

FretforyourLatte fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 28, 2012

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
If blood on towels is a concern, use home towels to dry everywhere else, and hospital towels to dry the ladybits. Hospital towels are the worst. Or go buy some black towels.

edit \/\/\/ Yeah, those things are scratchy as hell. I didn't give birth vaginally, but drying my boobs with them was a nightmare. Buy a towel with irregular red splotches from Anthropologie or something.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jan 28, 2012

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

What does she do when she's on her period? Honestly most of the major blood coming from after the birth is going to just kinda go down the drain. The residual will probably be about what you'd see after wiping during a period.

Hospital towels are more often than not, really abrasive, WHITE, and about half the size of hotel towels. I actually plan on bringing a fluffy beach towel because being able to snuggle up in a towel after a shower AFTER giving birth would have been lovely.

bamzilla fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jan 28, 2012

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009

FretforyourLatte posted:

I also could not wait to get a shower after giving birth. It's the first step to feeling human again. I brought trial sizes of my usual shampoo and body wash, our hospital only has that combo HAIR & BODY WASH crap and I could not get a comb through my hair afterwards when I had my first born. I wish I'd thought to bring a decent sized towel, theirs are only about the size of normal hand towels and they only gave me two.

My hospital made me get up and shower, partly because it would wet the Steri-Strip over my incision and make it easier to remove. They didn't provide any toiletries, though, so I was very happy that I brought some travel-size toiletries. Also once I started getting up and around the shower really helped relax me and relieve pain.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher
Also you can easily get blood out of things with peroxide.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
Seconding your own towel. And your own pillows! The shower I had the morning after delivery was probably the best-feeling shower I've ever had.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
Is there some secret to keeping my maternity pants from falling down? They're fine if I stand still, but within 5 steps they've migrated downwards. I have two different pair (different brands) and both are doing the same thing. I've tried with the panel up and over my belly or folded down as an extra "belt" to hold the hip area up. Folding them over seems to work better than up-and-over the belly, but they're still driving me nuts.

EDIT: Google directed me towards these: http://www.amazon.com/Bellyups-Belly-Maternity-Suspenders-BLACK/dp/B0053EC7HC
but that looks pretty uncomfortable.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

Mnemosyne posted:

Is there some secret to keeping my maternity pants from falling down? They're fine if I stand still, but within 5 steps they've migrated downwards. I have two different pair (different brands) and both are doing the same thing. I've tried with the panel up and over my belly or folded down as an extra "belt" to hold the hip area up. Folding them over seems to work better than up-and-over the belly, but they're still driving me nuts.

EDIT: Google directed me towards these: http://www.amazon.com/Bellyups-Belly-Maternity-Suspenders-BLACK/dp/B0053EC7HC
but that looks pretty uncomfortable.

After a certain point I just hated maternity pants and didn't find them comfortable at all (except for my maternity overalls). I bought yoga pants to wear instead. They sat under my belly.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
Mine only stayed up for a very very limited time. At first my belly was too small, then later the elastic was too worn out from only buying one pair. I wore a belly band over the maternity pants and that worked perfectly! It was uncomfortably tight earlier on, but now that I'm closer to the end it feels great.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
By the time I was in maternity pants, none of them would stay up. I just wore them around my hips with long shirts. Maternity shirts worked great for this before I technically needed them, because they tend to be longer. I also wore a lot of skirts with elastic waists that could just sit wherever. I've heard good thing about the belly bands from plenty of women, too.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

The maternity pants I got this time around have a draw string. I learned my lesson last time.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
Why don't they redesign the damned things if this is a chronic problem that everyone has? I thought maybe I was just shaped funny.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
While we're on the subject of clothing, I need a bit of advice. With my first three pregnancies I was in my early to mid twenties and never showed or needed maternity clothes until my fourth month. I'm not sure if it's because I'm in my 30's now or not, but I'm 13 weeks and really REALLY need to get some maternity clothes. I'm down to one pair of pants that still fit without feeling like I'm cutting my belly in half, and it's very awkward.

What I want to know is, is this normal with older women? I've been feeling very full and pregnant now for over a month, and I'm a bit worried because it seems too early for that. Could this be a side effect of the bleeding/ovarian cysts I've had, or what?

As for ideas for you guys who can't keep your britches up, try maternity leggings or opaque tights and cute dresses. You'll look younger and fresh and you won't have to fear exposing yourself in public. Even if your leggings fall, you're covered by the dress itself!

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!

Mnemosyne posted:

Why don't they redesign the damned things if this is a chronic problem that everyone has? I thought maybe I was just shaped funny.

I just tuck mine into the band of my bra and it stays pretty well.

Helanna
Feb 1, 2007

Stairs posted:

What I want to know is, is this normal with older women? I've been feeling very full and pregnant now for over a month, and I'm a bit worried because it seems too early for that.

I heard the increased belly growth is more to do with having had multiple previous pregnancies, rather than with your age.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Helanna posted:

I heard the increased belly growth is more to do with having had multiple previous pregnancies, rather than with your age.

Heard the same thing. I'm also showing earlier (last time I showed at 5 months, this time it was at 3). My first was when I was 29, almost 30, now I'm 32 and will be 33 in October. I also get fuller quicker and pee a lot more.

bamzilla fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jan 29, 2012

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

Stairs posted:

While we're on the subject of clothing, I need a bit of advice. With my first three pregnancies I was in my early to mid twenties and never showed or needed maternity clothes until my fourth month. I'm not sure if it's because I'm in my 30's now or not, but I'm 13 weeks and really REALLY need to get some maternity clothes. I'm down to one pair of pants that still fit without feeling like I'm cutting my belly in half, and it's very awkward.

What I want to know is, is this normal with older women? I've been feeling very full and pregnant now for over a month, and I'm a bit worried because it seems too early for that. Could this be a side effect of the bleeding/ovarian cysts I've had, or what?

As for ideas for you guys who can't keep your britches up, try maternity leggings or opaque tights and cute dresses. You'll look younger and fresh and you won't have to fear exposing yourself in public. Even if your leggings fall, you're covered by the dress itself!

Second pregnancy here, at 33. Definitely showing early this time. I'm just under 13 weeks and already poking out. I remember the same thing with my sister with her second pregnancy.

I also adore leggings. I got the two pack of maternity ones from ON and they are so ridiculously comfortable. I always do under the belly pants, though (I wore yoga pants pretty much my entire last pregnancy), so if you don't, that might take some getting used to.

limegrnxj
Apr 24, 2004
My own towel at the hospital would have been glorious! Live and learn.

Speaking of post natal bleeding, when did that stop for most folks? I'm at 4 weeks now and ready to be done, but it just keeps going.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

limegrnxj posted:

Speaking of post natal bleeding, when did that stop for most folks? I'm at 4 weeks now and ready to be done, but it just keeps going.

Most people are stopped at 6 weeks, I think. I stopped at 4 weeks.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
I brought a towel and it was glorious. I actually brought two, one for me and one for my husband. They were dark green and dark brown, so no worries about bloodstains. The hospital towels are barely useful for wrapping your hair up.

Pinkmetallic
Jul 1, 2005
First pregnancy here...but I read to bring your own pads with you to the hospital for the postnatal bleeding and even some Depends Underwear because they are more comfortable than wearing a pad the first day.

Eia
Nov 5, 2003

Pinkmetallic posted:

First pregnancy here...but I read to bring your own pads with you to the hospital for the postnatal bleeding and even some Depends Underwear because they are more comfortable than wearing a pad the first day.

The hospital I birthed at gave me endless enormous maternity pads, plus the first day they gave me coldpacks and mesh panties that were very soothing.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Eia posted:

The hospital I birthed at gave me endless enormous maternity pads, plus the first day they gave me coldpacks and mesh panties that were very soothing.

Yeah, my hospital also provided mesh panties and enormous maternity pads. I bought a pack of Depends pads for after I got home, but I think they were a waste. I only used a few of them and then I had this giant open pack of Depends pads I didn't need. I could have easily just used super maxi pads and changed them frequently (and they crammed me so full of fluids while I was in the hospital that I was in the bathroom anyway to pee every hour for a few days, so maxi pads would have worked anyway.) Man, I loved those mesh panties tho. They also sent me home with Dermoplast spray and witchhazel pads for soothing the area - I had no tearing but I had one hell of a friction burn from the nurse/doctor's exam gloves during the actual birth.

limegrnxj
Apr 24, 2004
I think Depends would have been overkill. While in the hospital, what they gave me was fine and at home, overnight pads worked fine. Dermaplast and witchhazel were immensely helpful, get some extra of that from the hospital if you can.

yawnie
Jul 29, 2003
lollerz.

limegrnxj posted:

Just shy of 8 weeks for me.. It stopped for a week, came back as very light flow/spotting for another week, the finally disappeared for good.

legbeard
Jun 13, 2006
Aurora came home last week after 6 weeks in the NICU! She's overcome so much and she is still not even supposed to be out of my belly yet.

It's been a tough first week home. I didn't want to take my eyes off her at all, but I eventually found that I had to sleep. Here's a picture of her six weeks ago and another from a few days ago! She's up to 7 lbs 2 oz now!

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
She's just beautiful! Look at those cheeks!

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
Goons have the cutest babies. Welcome home Aurora! I'm glad to see she's doing so well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
Yay, Aurora! She's darling.
Bleeding for me stopped after four weeks, then five weeks blood free before my first period. I miss not having periods, that was my favorite side effect of pregnancy.

Edit; If anyone is in the mood for some baby pictures, here's Gavin http://gavcav.tumblr.com/
He and Aurora are long-distance BFF's already.