Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

genredleader
Jan 30, 2012
First of all, thank you every one for all the hard work you're doing! Nothing makes the World better like Arino in English! :D I only wish I could help, but my Japanese is below amateur level so...

Anyway, has anyone watched the Jake Hunter episode yet? I played the DS game last night and watched the episode today and... I'm a little confused... The DS version only took me three and a half hours and it pretty much leads you by the hand the WHOLE way. I couldn't imagine them giving Arino a game he could kill in three hours without ever getting stuck or anything. So I watched the episode and it seems to have more characters and locations than the DS version but I couldn't follow it well (the different character names and designs didn't exactly help either). Is the DS version really that much simpler than the original?

Edit: How's that?
V

genredleader fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jan 30, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demostrs
Mar 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

genredleader posted:

Gah! I couldn't take living on the outside anymore! So, I paid my ten bucks. XD

First of all, thank you every one for all the hard work you're doing! Nothing makes the World better like Arino in English! :D I only wish I could help, but my Japanese is below amateur level so... ^^;

Bomberman made me go right to VC to download it. Except they don't have it. ;_; Just the two TG-16 versions and an N64 version. :\ And I already have one of those TG-16 versions. And I'm stuck on the stupid crab boss. -_-;;

Anyway, has anyone watched the Jake Hunter episode yet? I played the DS game last night and watched the episode today and... I'm a little confused... The DS version only took me three and a half hours and it pretty much leads you by the hand the WHOLE way. I couldn't imagine them giving Arino a game he could kill in three hours without ever getting stuck or anything. So I watched the episode and it seems to have more characters and locations than the DS version but I couldn't follow it well (the different character names and designs didn't exactly help either). And Arino didn't even finish it. Seems like it's going to be a two parter. Is the DS version really that much simpler than the original?

Typically, we don't like people introducing themselves on the Forums, plus those types of emotes (ie: ^^) are frowned upon as well. Just a heads up.

NE: Removed a snarky comment, probably more appropriate for the Can of Worms thread.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Demostrs posted:

I don't think you get SA Typically, we don't like people introducing themselves on the Forums, plus those types of emotes (ie: ^^) are frowned upon as well. Just a heads up.

On the contrary, it is you that does not get SA. We welcome people introducing themselves, especially on threads such as these. You paid your $10 fee, welcome to the family.:D

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

genredleader posted:

Anyway, has anyone watched the Jake Hunter episode yet? I played the DS game last night and watched the episode today and... I'm a little confused... The DS version only took me three and a half hours and it pretty much leads you by the hand the WHOLE way. I couldn't imagine them giving Arino a game he could kill in three hours without ever getting stuck or anything. So I watched the episode and it seems to have more characters and locations than the DS version but I couldn't follow it well (the different character names and designs didn't exactly help either). And Arino didn't even finish it. Seems like it's going to be a two parter. Is the DS version really that much simpler than the original?

I watched about half the episode as I was eating dinner earlier and I have to agree. The DS remakes are dramatically different from the FDS Detective Saburou Jinguuji game. Right off the bat there was that overhead park exploration section where he was helping a woman find a lost dog; there's nothing like that in the DS version. I could see where some bits of the remake fit with the old version but it's extremely different.

:siren: The Game Center CX Threat Level Has Been Raised to Deluge :siren:

Please seek shelter immediately.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jan 30, 2012

Demostrs
Mar 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Vlaphor posted:

On the contrary, it is you that does not get SA. We welcome people introducing themselves, especially on threads such as these. You paid your $10 fee, welcome to the family.:D

Okay, yeah that was stupid of me to post, considering it wasn't an entire thread dedicated to an introduction or a low-content post. Just a knee-jerk reaction, sorry :kiddo:

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Someday I will see the episode where Arino challenges such "strange" Western games like Comix Zone. It must be really odd for him to play through that game left to right.

genredleader
Jan 30, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

I watched about half the episode as I was eating dinner earlier and I have to agree. The DS remakes are dramatically different from the FDS Detective Saburou Jinguuji game. Right off the bat there was that overhead park exploration section where he was helping a woman find a lost dog; there's nothing like that in the DS version. I could see where some bits of the remake fit with the old version but it's extremely different.

Yeah, it looked in the episode that you could move around freely and do whatever you wanted. The DS version reminded me a lot of Hotel Dusk. The story is broken into chapters and you can only do what you have to. You can't get lost or screw up. And you're quized at the end of the chapter, just like in Hotel Dusk. All in all, the DS version isn't bad, but it's definitely different. Maybe someone will do a translation patch for the FDS one someday?

WHAT?! AGAIN! Oh, CRAP! The last time this happened, I lost 2/3rds of my house, the car, and three cats! And my insurance REFUSED to pay! Said they don't cover Acts of Arino! Gah! Head for the hills everyone! It's happening again! :aaa:

Demostrs: You made me jump a little but it's fine. You just reminded me how careful I have to be if I don't want to get busted.

Demostrs
Mar 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

genredleader posted:

Demostrs: You made me jump a little but it's fine. You just reminded me how careful I have to be if I don't want to get busted.

Honestly, you don't have to watch yourself that much when posting on SA if you don't want to get a poor rap sheet. Hell, I'm sure some mods wouldn't even give a poo poo if you used those emotes on the forums, but I guess it is better to be safe than sorry.

You have to actively try to be a bad poster to get punished.

Anyway, I probably should mention I'm a big fan of everyone's work on this show too to atone. You guys are awesome and I'm gonna watch Bomberman right now! :buddy:

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

Oh no! :ohdear:

What should we do, Hitoshi Matsumoto?

Dog Toggle Switch
May 16, 2006

Nipponophile posted:

Oh no! :ohdear:

What should we do, Hitoshi Matsumoto?

God drat there are few things I want in my life more than that translated Yoiko episode of Lincoln.

(as a total sidenote, if you're using the established Red/Blue subtitles for Matsumoto and Hamada, I think I may just love you a little bit)

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
I don't know how established it is, but I matched the on-screen Japanese subs. Hamada is blue, Matsumoto is red, Arino green, and Hamaguchi orange.

I'm back on track with this after letting it sit for a long time, so it will be coming out, no matter how many deluges Random Stranger (and friends) throws at us. I just don't want to give out a time or date because I don't want to get people's hopes up then get distracted for a while playing Minecraft or whatever instead of finishing it.

I'd originally planned on not mentioning anything about the project at all until it was ready for release since I am painfully aware of the tendency for my interest to wander, but I forgot to swear our favorite translator to an oath of silence, and she brought it up when someone asked about the episode.

Once I'm done, I'll crosspost to your Japanese TV thread, since I'm sure there'll be some interest there.

Nipponophile fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jan 30, 2012

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Nipponophile posted:

no matter how many deluges Random Stranger (and friends) throws at us.

Don't dismiss them as "and friends". There's zari-gani and Nagoyan working hard on translations along with Gutcruncher, univbee, and miscellaneous14 doing editing and timing. Everyone is putting a lot of effort into these episodes and people have been going non-stop for a couple of weeks now on some of the most challenging episodes that have been done so far. Zari-gani is taking on some of the trickiest stuff to translate, Nagoyan is currently working on an episode that's surprisingly huge, Gutcruncher's been working like a maniac, and univbee and miscellaneous14 have both been going at episodes that are particularly hefty on the overlay work.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Any chance we will see more of Season 3 so we can knock that one out? Especially the Mario ones from that season.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

Don't dismiss them as "and friends".

Believe me, that was not my intention. I had originally slipped that in as an offhand comment with just your name, then I realized that I should acknowledge everyone else, but I didn't know all the names. :(

You're 100% correct that everyone deserves credit. This is easily the most impressive fansub project I have seen in more than 15 years, and every team member has helped make it so. I am constantly impressed with the quality of translation, text layout, and overall consistency of every release.

Random Stranger, zani-gani, Nagoyan, Gutcruncher, univbee, miscellaneous14, you are all doing great work, and if you ever find yourselves in my neck of the woods, the beer's on me.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Vlaphor posted:

Shut the gently caress up and get out.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Silentman0 posted:

See? Just like family.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Wendell posted:

See? Just like family.

You leave your brother alone.

No that's my cooking sherry.

Now we're like family.

Also the Mario Kart episode was pretty funny but nowhere near the levels of awesome the Bomberman episode brought us.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
I like that Arino was holding the second controller imitating what's on the screen while the AD was driving. I've had a few friends who used to do this back in the day. :3:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Nipponophile posted:

Believe me, that was not my intention. I had originally slipped that in as an offhand comment with just your name, then I realized that I should acknowledge everyone else, but I didn't know all the names. :(

I'm a bit touchy on that because in the past there were people who were giving me all the credit and that's the last thing I want. But no harm done.

Regarding episode 134 Arino did finish the game. He won after just 7 hours though that seems to be around when he finished anything but the hardest games these days.

I was trying to figure out what the next game was based on the King's clue but I have no idea. Roughly the clue is "initially starred A.K."

And the light bulb just came on.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Nipponophile posted:

I don't know how established it is

Very. Those colors have stuck with them for a long, long time and some of the earliest stuff I've seen(when Matsumoto had hair!) had those colors for on-screen subs. Even outside of the on-screen subs, any time Downtown(or in extension Cocorico and Yamasaki in any Gaki project) do something, those colors will almost certainly be used. In the Absolutely Tasty series they wear aprons and the colors are indeed red and blue.

It's great that you're sticking to them. It's not only a nice touch but any time people start talking over each other or the camera isn't on the face it can sometimes be hard to discern who said something when the subs are just in white. Usually not a big issue and I'd love you either way for translating this piece but again, it's just a step up in quality subbing work so kudos.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Jan 30, 2012

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I've been meaning to actually try one of the Bomberman games, and this episode pushes that incentive further.

What is generally considered the best Bomberman game, regardless of platform?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Primoman posted:

I've been meaning to actually try one of the Bomberman games, and this episode pushes that incentive further.

The snes one, I think. But that just might be because it's the one that the most people have played, while the ones after that were on unpopular consoles like Saturn or were simple old-fashioned cute games overshadowed by X-TREME releases in the playstation era.

genredleader
Jan 30, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

I'm a bit touchy on that because in the past there were people who were giving me all the credit and that's the last thing I want. But no harm done.

Regarding episode 134 Arino did finish the game. He won after just 7 hours though that seems to be around when he finished anything but the hardest games these days.

I was trying to figure out what the next game was based on the King's clue but I have no idea. Roughly the clue is "initially starred A.K."

And the light bulb just came on.

Yeah, I got a little confused on that. I was only half watching the episode and realized after I had posted that [spoiler] he had finished but the ending looked so different (plus I was skipping around in the video and missed the English completion screen) from the DS one that I assumed it wasn't done. I tried to correct my post but it was already too late. Anyway, I guess they decided Arino needed a break after Battletoads...

Silentman0 posted:

Look, I already told you! I didn't know she was your girlfriend! You never introduced her to us, how was -I- supposed to know, brother?! :cry:

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

You kids stop fighting or I'll get the belt. :bahgawd:

The Bomberman episode was absolutely excellent. There weren't too many points where I didn't have at least a big grin on my face.

Meowsdower
May 25, 2005

Primoman posted:

Super Bomberman 2 is the best, with a multitap and a million (4) controllers.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
I always read good things about Saturn Bomberman. 10 player mode looked like a blast.

Jimmy Colorado
Apr 16, 2010

Shlapintogan posted:

The Bomberman episode was absolutely excellent. There weren't too many points where I didn't have at least a big grin on my face.

Bomberman was top shelf. I think 53 Stations is my favorite, but Bomberman is right there. Right at the beginning, when Arino is describing the challenge when he reveals he's played the game before, with his friend and eventual Yoiko partner Masaru Hamaguchi, during a wake for Hamaguchi's grandfather. (They were still kids then, so it wasn't as disrespectful as it sounds.) Arino starts laughing, a little ghoulishly, but his laugh is so infectious the staff starts laughing as well, and of course so am I. It's all so morbid, but hilarious at the same time.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Whats that, Random Stranger? No new episode today? hahahahah HAHAHAHAHAAHAH!!!!!!!

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAAH

Takeshi's Castle! Translated by Zari-gani and timed by Gutcruncher

http://depositfiles.com/files/1y3uzquq1
http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=torrentinfo&tid=281819

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
This one caused a bit of a double take when I first saw it. "Takeshi's Challenge? That's already been done...oh, Castle. Alright then. Awesome.".

makere
Jan 14, 2012

Gutcruncher posted:

Takeshi's Castle! Translated by Zari-gani and timed by Gutcruncher

http://depositfiles.com/files/1y3uzquq1
http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=torrentinfo&tid=281819
Thanks! Although Nyaa seems to be down atm, so could you/someone mirror the torrent file to somewhere (mediafire)?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

makere posted:

Thanks! Although Nyaa seems to be down atm, so could you/someone mirror the torrent file to somewhere (mediafire)?

Well that sucks. Here ya go http://depositfiles.com/files/qmp81kfib

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
I think Mediafire has file size limits, doesn't it?

makere
Jan 14, 2012

Gutcruncher posted:

Well that sucks. Here ya go http://depositfiles.com/files/qmp81kfib

Thank you!

Bocc Kob posted:

I think Mediafire has file size limits, doesn't it?

Yes it has its limits, but wanted only the torrent-file, which is only few kilobytes.

genredleader
Jan 30, 2012
Takeshi's Castle?! "Majide?!" I wonder if he's going to wonder if he did anything to anger the staff enough to make him play ANOTHER Beat Takeshi game. :xd:

Well, the torrent is going fast for me so I think it's working fine. Anyway, thanks for the grub! I only wish I could watch it now but I have to go out and earn money... :cry:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I know the US got the TV show Takeshi's Castle in the form of MXC, but I remember it being aired in the Philippines well over a decade before MXC showed up. First time I saw MXC, I was like "I remember that from the PI!" and nostagia'd the hell out.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

genredleader posted:

Takeshi's Castle?! "Majide?!" I wonder if he's going to wonder if he did anything to anger the staff enough to make him play ANOTHER Beat Takeshi game. :xd:

Wait, how many games has Beat Takeshi made? Wouldn't mind seeing a remake of that for Kinect, though.

That Ring Ring Tactics section was just full of surprises.Leaving the obscene phone call aside, was that a British number or does Vodaphone provide service outside of GB and India? Pity they didn't answer.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Wow, seriously speedy torrent with some 70+ seeds. Now to power through today's work and get down to watching this. Thanks a lot!

eta: Vodafone is a mobile provider in Japan, too.

Dog Toggle Switch
May 16, 2006

Man, it's crazy seeing a Power Pad after all these years. Also, it's good to see Arino stumbled on the "kneel and slap the pad with your hands" technique that many of us lazier children used to achieve ridiculous scores.

Plus, we totally had that frog flick game in our local arcade. I took a little nostalgic trip right back to the late 80's when I saw that thing.

Awesome job as always guys. This episode and Bomberman stand to make this one of the best set of releases you guys have done.

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster
Just want to say that I love you all and this torrenting is awesome. I can now get these episodes about 10 times faster than before! Hooray!

Also, Bomberman was just such a great episode. The 5-player tournament at the end was a nice end for the episode.

Enentol fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jan 30, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egregious
Oct 29, 2011
Much thanks again to the team. These were fantastic episodes to watch!

Arino's reactions reminded me of my days playing EA Active on the Wii. Running in one place used to kill my legs.