Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

Jesus, Nemo you alright?! Spaz! .... Stop Smiling!

Mike_V posted:

Hm, apparently Skream and Benga are touring the US this spring. While I don't particularly care if I see either of them DJ, Jackmaster and Plastician will be opening for them and I think I might drop $25 to see those two.

Really sucks they aren't coming to Texas. I can't afford to make that drive out to Denver.

Don't you live in Houston, though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
No, I live in Lawrence, KS. I really hope the crowd isn't lovely because this is probably the only time I'll get to see proper bass acts for a while.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

Mike_V posted:

No, I live in Lawrence, KS. I really hope the crowd isn't lovely because this is probably the only time I'll get to see proper bass acts for a while.

Hey who needs a massive crowd. Are the speakers big? Is the bass booming and rattling your chest? Pint of something in one hand (bonus points for Red Stripe), fag/cheeky spliff in the other. Close your eyes and just have a pure proper skank out down speaker boxes. Heaven on bloody earth. You're safe and sound and in for a good time if it's a proper sound system too, 18 inch Turbomaxes in every handmade bin. None of this Funktion One things as decent as they are. If the guys have dreads - even if they're white - you're cushty.

The thing I love when it turns out to be a small crowd is the good DJs know that "yeah, these folks are the real deal" and always pull out something special out the bag. Something folks that know the script can really brock out to.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

Hey who needs a massive crowd. Are the speakers big? Is the bass booming and rattling your chest? Pint of something in one hand (bonus points for Red Stripe), fag/cheeky spliff in the other. Close your eyes and just have a pure proper skank out down speaker boxes. Heaven on bloody earth. You're safe and sound and in for a good time if it's a proper sound system too, 18 inch Turbomaxes in every handmade bin. None of this Funktion One things as decent as they are. If the guys have dreads - even if they're white - you're cushty.

The thing I love when it turns out to be a small crowd is the good DJs know that "yeah, these folks are the real deal" and always pull out something special out the bag. Something folks that know the script can really brock out to.

Think he means that it isn't full of Skrillex-loving raver kids, not that there aren't many people there haha

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

Tokyo Slutty Gal posted:

Think he means that it isn't full of Skrillex-loving raver kids, not that there aren't many people there haha

Well that's what I get for thinking lovely crowd = lovely attendence. I guess I'd normally describe a bad crowd using the words gently caress, loving, bastards and cunts more. But you know if there is one thing about me it's that I'm very subtle and understated.

I still say you still gotta stake your claim at the speakers though. Best spot. Muscle in there and claim it. Go on, do us proud! Don't let those skinny jeans and band t-shirt crowd get their own way!

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

Well that's what I get for thinking lovely crowd = lovely attendence. I guess I'd normally describe a bad crowd using the words gently caress, loving, bastards and cunts more. But you know if there is one thing about me it's that I'm very subtle and understated.

I still say you still gotta stake your claim at the speakers though. Best spot. Muscle in there and claim it. Go on, do us proud! Don't let those skinny jeans and band t-shirt crowd get their own way!

I always get to the speakers...it's the only way to go.

Decline
Apr 20, 2001

steal your face
Looks like Redlight is touring the US in May. I noticed the large venues on the list so I found the one nearest to me and it looks like he's opening for Rusko. Might be worth it to hear Misquito Riddim though.

Kraxis
May 14, 2007

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

So much wisdom in this post. I don't understand why Red Stripe tastes so good when your insides are being sonicly assaulted yet so bad all the other times?

Chouffe
Jan 31, 2005
Fuck you with a rake

Kraxis posted:

So much wisdom in this post. I don't understand why Red Stripe tastes so good when your insides are being sonicly assaulted yet so bad all the other times?

Whoa, weird. I had never drank red stripe until I went my first bass music party. I was feeling mad awkward (it was also my first club party ever; my new bass-music-scene-party-creator roommate had dragged me along) and I drank a bunch of red stripe and that party kind of changed my life. So I've personally associated red stripe with bass parties, but I didn't realize it had a reputation.

So: Low End Theory SF on February 3rd. RWINA edition with Eprom, Nastynasty, Kramphaft. Holy poo poo.
Edit: this was real great. Eprom is really something else.

Chouffe fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Feb 4, 2012

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004
Yeah, I'm psyched to see Krampfhaft. Making Magic has been my jam for months now. I've been rinsing Eprom's edit of Going Back to Cali as well. NastyNasty is usually a little too aggressive for me but I really liked his edit of The Weeknd - High For This so I'll give him a chance too. It should be a fun night.

edit: might I know your roommate?

Dopo fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jan 28, 2012

Chouffe
Jan 31, 2005
Fuck you with a rake

Dopo posted:

Yeah, I'm psyched to see Krampfhaft.
Again: holy poo poo.

Dopo posted:

edit: might I know your roommate?

Judging from your twitter account, you've probably met her, but you're not actually connected to her.

Also I moved out of Bernal and back to the Mission in October! Since we're not roommates anymore, I don't get random party invitations all the time, but walking to SOM and Public Works is fantastically easy now.

I did kind of lose my connection to underground happenings, though. I was lazy and just let her tell me about them rather than forging my own relationships. Please hit up my AIM with anything cool?

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004
I don't use AIM nowadays but I assume you're on twitter?

edit: gotcha

Dopo fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jan 28, 2012

qwako
Sep 11, 2009
Got phatty drummer, disco rekah and exothermic reaction in the post today giving them a thorough working over with the help of a zoot or three

some links for the unknowing bass is needed
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KandVSZbZAM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tl7j8hVdi0Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo2Ed9zWj68

edit: also hex big tune http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7CUTdqgXwc

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

qwako posted:

Got phatty drummer, disco rekah and exothermic reaction in the post today giving them a thorough working over with the help of a zoot or three

some links for the unknowing bass is needed
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KandVSZbZAM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tl7j8hVdi0Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo2Ed9zWj68

edit: also hex big tune http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7CUTdqgXwc

Ah so Disko Rekah has been repressed? That had better not effect the value of the original! Papa wants a pension worth millions funded from original pressings of the singles. Loefah apparently doesn't actually like that song but it did tear up the place back in the day. And that Youtube video description is just depressing - "very oldskool tune" - I'll old skool 'em those youn' whippersnappers! :argh:

More fun stuff out this week. LuckyMe does what it does best and we get a new EP by Canadian producer Ango. For those who like some more R&B vibes in their thing.

Also for LE0N, They!Live seems to be out, at least in vinyl. So go get 'em! Though I guess it should be trickling into other stores in CD or digital form as well right about now.

I'm also kinda digging Makoto's new single on 7even. For those who like their breakbeats at that 130-140bpm level. I know he had a new album out just last year, but I kind of wrote it off simply as a D&B thing (not that I don't like Makoto's D&B stuff) but apparently it's a mix of stuff, well there's a thing. People in the know what are your verdict on the LP? Sounds decent from the samples, but you gotta live with some stuff first before you really know if you click.

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

After going through Hackman's discography I found this awesome Shifting Peaks comp that seems like it's the entire catalog for the label thus far and that's feeding that Randomer fix I have going right now. Especially with this Tessela guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgjz0GQDuB8

Emvee and Graphics are pretty solid too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aq_u4i-Nd_k

That bass pulse in Blue Top weirds me out but it's hard not to pay attention to it.

HatchetDown fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jan 29, 2012

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004
Here is the recording of my show from yesterday. Big thanks to everyone who caught it live!

http://soundcloud.com/grape-guts/grapeguts290112

Xesis
Jul 11, 2002

BUTTERWORBS posted:

Which one of you guys is petey? I talked to him about hihats in turntable once.

Petey is trill rear end on here, what's kinda funny tho is I have you on my aim list from some game years ago

Vamperon posted:

Sup dude, I just helped get your EP online. I work with AJ at seed in Williamsburg, we digitally distribute Party Like Us, Body High, and a bunch of other awesome labels. Not gonna lie, surprised to see you guys on here. Seeeing you on turntable was awesome enough heh.

That's what's up, the Body High dudes are homies. SA never really ceases to surprise me, we've met goons at several different shows already

dk2m
May 6, 2009
Let me know if this is against the rules but I'm trying my hand at making some bass music. I made a pretty conventional dubstep tune ala Skream (the name of the song kind of gives it away) or that mid 2000's jump up vibe. Looking for some feedback from you guys!

http://soundcloud.com/stosz/stosz-scream

As a side note, I'm absolutely loving Distal's remix of Jason Burn's See Through You. The original is massive but this is just another level. It's a little old but still worth checking out!

Chouffe
Jan 31, 2005
Fuck you with a rake
Hey Xesis: in an interview that accompanied his Frite Nite podcast, Distal mentioned he would routinely get thrown out of clubs for playing gabber and breakcore. Is he really as hilariously awesome as this anecdote indicates?

PS y'all are great, thank you for your things. If you've made it to SF ever, I missed it and that was wrong of me.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Are any of you on the This Is My Jam beta? I'd be interested in following relevant bros in case they're vibesin to something that flew under my radar.

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

Are you on there or are you just asking around? I'd love to get an invite if you're able to.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

HatchetDown posted:

Are you on there or are you just asking around? I'd love to get an invite if you're able to.

I just went in and signed in with facebook and I now have an account. As far as I know I've not been invited.

Odd.

e: http://thisismyjam.com/BellendS

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007

Mike_V posted:

Are any of you on the This Is My Jam beta? I'd be interested in following relevant bros in case they're vibesin to something that flew under my radar.

Never even heard of it.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Bellend Sebastian posted:

I just went in and signed in with facebook and I now have an account. As far as I know I've not been invited.

Odd.

e: http://thisismyjam.com/BellendS

It works like how Turntable.fm did at first, where if you have a friend that already has an account, you sign in and you're in.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

dk2m posted:

Let me know if this is against the rules but I'm trying my hand at making some bass music. I made a pretty conventional dubstep tune ala Skream (the name of the song kind of gives it away) or that mid 2000's jump up vibe. Looking for some feedback from you guys!

http://soundcloud.com/stosz/stosz-scream

I know this isn't the first time I've said this here, but if you aren't checking out what's coming out on Black Box records(and it's Box Clever sublabel) then you really should be. Especially if you're making music in this kinda style.

Mike_V posted:

Apparently a couple of people I know are on it, but man I'm telling you, I'm getting too old for these all new fangled things. I guess I just don't really see the point in the whole thing really. I'd just go crazy and do it old skool and actually just simply tell people what you're digging, that always used to work pretty well. Maybe better than some weird befriend as many as you can thing this'll probably end up being, with your favourite song which is actually your on track you're ineptly trying to plug.

But hey, what do I know? I'm just a jaded simpleton really. I just put the needle on the record and that keeps me happy, like a kitten with a ball of string. I also do it all while wearing my tartan blanket and with a packet of Werthers Originals in my hands.

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Why is the sun always bullying me?

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

I also do it all while wearing my tartan blanket and with a packet of Werthers Originals in my hands.

This might have been posted elsewhere on the forums, but it seems appropriate now:

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/arts-%26-entertainment/djs-fabio-and-grooverider-announce-residency-in-rave-retirement-home-201112094656/

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

quote:

Nurse Emma Bradford said: “Sometimes the residents can be challenging as they are mostly quite doddery and insane.

"But it's so rewarding when the DJ drops a big tune like the VIP dubplate mix of Champion Sound and they all hold their lighters in the air.”

This had better drat well be a thing in 40+ years when I retire because this would so amazing. I wonder if we'll all be like Michael Caine in Children Of Men. Your granpa might've had his old 78 of Benny Goodman playing on the viktrola while we'll be busting out out 12 inches of Benny Ill, much to the annoyance of the grandkids who're ultraloading their new fangled music onto their neuro-3D musical holographic iPod v89.1 super mega limited made out of solid space rock from Pluto edition.

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

My Mom specializes in def education and next time I get a chance I'm going to make a CD for on of the def people she works with since the only part of music they listen to is the Bass section. It's the most sensory for them so I imagine some of them might get a kick out of a lot of UK Funky or anything with heavy kick jabs.

Any suggestions?

Something that has basslines along the line of Ringworm

drat I didn't think 12th Planet had anything like this, glad I looked into him a little bit more.

12th Planet - 68

HatchetDown fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Feb 2, 2012

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

I did a near-total rework of my General Levy remix for Lejal Genes sister label 'Lejal Globe'. After this gets mastered apparently this is the version that's gonna be on the CD and digital:

Def Räädu & General Levy - Give It To Dem (CHUMP CHANGE VIP REMIX)

http://soundcloud.com/djchumpchange/def-r-du-general-levy-give

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

HatchetDown posted:

My Mom specializes in def education and next time I get a chance I'm going to make a CD for on of the def people she works with since the only part of music they listen to is the Bass section. It's the most sensory for them so I imagine some of them might get a kick out of a lot of UK Funky or anything with heavy kick jabs.

Any suggestions?

Something that has basslines along the line of Ringworm

drat I didn't think 12th Planet had anything like this, glad I looked into him a little bit more.

12th Planet - 68

I'd be more worried about scaring anybody with anything too aggressive. Actually I'd put forward some more Broken Beat flavoured stuff. Now I know I always put forward more Broken stuff, but this time it's for a reason.

It's generally a bit more on the 'musical' side I guess. Not really the term I'm wanting but it's not smash yer face in aggressive with a fair amount of complexity and generally has a more jazzy thing going on which might make it that bit more understandable and enjoyable. There's lots going on in most of them, it's not grindingly repetative (not that that's neccessary a bad thing!). The rhythms have plenty of kick so the bass end you want is there, and the drums and all the other instruments for that matter can also be pretty complex and varied which again might be fun to listen to. Well obviously not listen to exactly but er... you get what I mean!

Anyway it depends I guess, I'm just automatically assuming if she's dealing with the deaf or hard of hearing you might be dealing with older folk (for all I know all ages) so having stuff that they can relate to would be important and I think a lot of broken stuff could do that. I mean if people have heard the likes of say Brubeck, or gently caress even Herb Alpert they could maybe make some kind of a link or understand the concepts and ideas behind the songs. Or maybe not but hey, just an idea.

Maguro posted:

I did a near-total rework of my General Levy remix for Lejal Genes sister label 'Lejal Globe'. After this gets mastered apparently this is the version that's gonna be on the CD and digital:

Def Räädu & General Levy - Give It To Dem (CHUMP CHANGE VIP REMIX)

http://soundcloud.com/djchumpchange/def-r-du-general-levy-give

Incredible.

I've actually not heard much from the label and actually I think I only know they existed from you talking about them, but looking at their website just reminds me that Eastern Europe - despite being technically on the same continent I guess - may as well be an entirely different world. The sheer amount of releases they've had over the years that've never seen the light of day outside the Baltics is pretty cool. How did you end up doing remixes for them?

Actually Estonia seems a pretty cool place overall. And I say this only on the basis our newly signed hotshot forward is from Estonia (it makes me happy there is no money in Finnish football as it lets us group talent like Ojamaa for nothing).

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

Incredible.

I've actually not heard much from the label and actually I think I only know they existed from you talking about them, but looking at their website just reminds me that Eastern Europe - despite being technically on the same continent I guess - may as well be an entirely different world. The sheer amount of releases they've had over the years that've never seen the light of day outside the Baltics is pretty cool. How did you end up doing remixes for them?

Actually Estonia seems a pretty cool place overall.

Thanks a lot man.

Yeah Lejal Genes and Lejal Globe have had dozens upon dozens of releases. I think the label head started Lejal Genes about 15 years ago. They have released everything from deep house, to hip hop, to 2-step, dubstep, juke, etc. They help organize a lot of the larger parties in Tallin.

And Estonia is a great country. It has its problems like any other but the EDM scene there is loving fantastic and being a tourist in Estonia is very cheap. I hope to go back sometime soon.

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Also were you saying "Incredible" as a General levy joke so you could secretly make fun of me?!?!?!? :(

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

Maguro posted:

Also were you saying "Incredible" as a General levy joke so you could secretly make fun of me?!?!?!? :(

Haha I was wondering how long it'd take for someone to catch on. I wasn't making fun of you though so don't worry! I do like it! I do! The set up was just too perfect though to ignore.

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Thats cold man, real cold.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

Maguro posted:

Thats cold man, real cold.

Hey you remix General Levy you get some wicked and massive puns.

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Maguro posted:

Thanks a lot man.

Yeah Lejal Genes and Lejal Globe have had dozens upon dozens of releases. I think the label head started Lejal Genes about 15 years ago. They have released everything from deep house, to hip hop, to 2-step, dubstep, juke, etc. They help organize a lot of the larger parties in Tallin.

And Estonia is a great country. It has its problems like any other but the EDM scene there is loving fantastic and being a tourist in Estonia is very cheap. I hope to go back sometime soon.

They hosted the first dubstep event I attended, Cluekid. Haven't heard of him lately.

Actually it wasn't my first dubstep party since I had seen Benga, Eddy Woo and Youngsta a couple of months before, but was blackout drunk and hardly remembered even being there. Turns out Youngsta was in the same condition as me - he passed out drunk in the club's toilet and didn't play his set.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium
Friday means new records day! Sometimes Monday means new records day too, but today it's Friday. Some highlights of mine that are out now are:

New Scuba single! The Hope/Flash Addict. Keywords: Berlin, pretty drat good, Berlin, new album out later in the month, Techno, Berlin.

Funkystepz EP/Maxi-Single thing is out on 12 inch on Hyperdub. I swear this has been out for half a year already but apparently it's a new release in an actual format at least, and even Cargo itself is confirming it so there we go. You've all heard this before anyway so you know it's good and let's be honest it's on Hyperdub so it'll probably be an automatic bag for half of you. I'm still digging the whistles in Trouble. Very Hacienda Summer of '88-ish.

I've been liking the sound of the new Gongon EP on Well Rounded. Especially Cactus Banger which has a great wee beat going, and the ultrathin panpipe synthy things just plain groove. Kinda reminds me of the weird South American folks who play traditional music here down Buchanan St way. Only your better off spending a fiver on this single than the weird Peruvian lots CD that they're trying to flog. It's probably either blank or copied from some actual group you've never heard of anyway.

Nocturnal Sunshine (aka Maya Jane Coles Dubstep alter-ego) is back. Well that's not true really. When I say back I really mean that Can't Hide The Way I Feel b/w Broke has got a repress. If you didn't pick this up a year or so ago when it first dropped well now you've got another chance as this really was a great release.

And it may be more on a more Housey/Dub Techno tip but whatever, we're all friends here right? DJ F & Jose Rico have a new single on Eleve. Personally really digging the sounds of the first track Le Verdad, kinda laid back, dubbed out tropical trouble in paradise rhythm going on. Actually Eleve is starting to sound like a decent wee label. Their first release even caught my ears, and for something that pretty heavily Dub Techno-ey (never my favourite sound) that's really not an easy thing to do, but I found the songs pretty solid.

Speaking of Dub Techno since I know some of you guys really love it. Echospace has some kind of new anniversary 4x12" pack of unreleased stuff out now, and a whole bunch of re-issues and some new stuff. Again not really my thing but I know some of you like it.

Oh and the Goth-Trad album is out next week too.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

Actually, I just ended up getting the Japanese release which has been out for near a month now. I just couldn't wait! I enjoyed how polished this album felt and it was easy to see that reocurring theme of "a new beginning," especially in terms of going back to the roots of deeper sub bass. Large variety too, moving from laid back and very subtle to really heavy tracks.

RA had a good interview with him recently too:
http://www.residentadvisor.net/feature.aspx?1510

Decline
Apr 20, 2001

steal your face

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

Funkystepz EP/Maxi-Single thing is out on 12 inch on Hyperdub. I swear this has been out for half a year already but apparently it's a new release in an actual format at least, and even Cargo itself is confirming it so there we go. You've all heard this before anyway so you know it's good and let's be honest it's on Hyperdub so it'll probably be an automatic bag for half of you. I'm still digging the whistles in Trouble. Very Hacienda Summer of '88-ish.

The Funkystepz single was supposed to be out in September or October I think - I've had it pre-ordered this entire time. I've also got the new Scuba and Goth-Trad on the way.

Also Teddy Music's new compilation is out.

Decline fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Feb 3, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Teddy's comp is really good. It's mostly older tracks (especially the Ghetts ones), but there's still some nice remixes and newer tracks. While he's annoying on Twitter, Teddy is a really good producer.

• Locked thread