Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Did someone hit it on the rear quarter panel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Ingraman posted:

Some more pictures of the new Ford Fusion. Looks really good, but unfortunately it seems the US isn't getting the wagon:

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/news/ford-mondeo-auf-der-detroit-motor-show-2012-fusion-als-mondeo-vision-1903535.html

A few pages back, but that Fusion/Mondeo wagon looks killer. I'd love an AWD ecoboost one.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Cream_Filling posted:

Looks like Hyundai is coming out with an Elantra coupe. Maybe a more conventional alternative to the Veloster?

I love coupes, but it seems that every time Asian manufacturers attempt it on a car that already had four doors (Civic and Accord specifically suffer from this problem) that it just turns out looking like they didn't have a loving clue what to do with anything behind the door, other than to turn it into a giant expanse of nothingness. It ends up looking worse than the sedan, as well as having less utility.

What I don't get is Hyundai got the coupe/sedan platform sharing near-perfect with the Genesis; why take a massive step backward?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

PT6A posted:

What I don't get is Hyundai got the coupe/sedan platform sharing near-perfect with the Genesis; why take a massive step backward?

The Genesis coupe and sedan may share the basic platform but they are far different in size. That Elantra looks like it has the similar (or the same) wheelbase to the sedan version.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

rscott posted:

Did someone hit it on the rear quarter panel?

Sure looks like it. I wonder if having a crease on the body like that makes it easier to damage.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

PT6A posted:

I love coupes, but it seems that every time Asian manufacturers attempt it on a car that already had four doors (Civic and Accord specifically suffer from this problem) that it just turns out looking like they didn't have a loving clue what to do with anything behind the door, other than to turn it into a giant expanse of nothingness. It ends up looking worse than the sedan, as well as having less utility.

If it were my guess, it's because there's too much rake on the beltline to look "sporty". The problem being that the rear quarter window gets so small that you get a big mass of paneling there.

Not that other designers don't have such issues, but:

You might as well ask why they make the Accord coupe at all. I really can't think of a single reason.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

CharlesM posted:

Sure looks like it. I wonder if having a crease on the body like that makes it easier to damage.

No easier to damage, much harder to fix.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Creases in sheet metal also cost more money to make. Yay!

Evanauto
Jul 27, 2007

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God.

Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed among cocktails.
Pray for me now, and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.
Amen.

Cream_Filling posted:

Looks like Hyundai is coming out with an Elantra coupe. Maybe a more conventional alternative to the Veloster?

Does anyone else thing that the majority of sub compact cars that are coming out now look like the past generation (2006-2010) civic?

to be fair though, that Elantra coupe does look good.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Yeah that to me looks like a creased Civic Coupe.

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
I don't think that looks like a civic at all.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

It has a very similar profile to the 8th and 9th generation coupes.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Sorta, but not nearly as much as the Forte Koupe:

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Personally I think these Korean versions look better than the Civic. The Kia Forte Koup is pretty drat sexy. Drop the 270hp turbo engine Hyundai has in there and I would be really interested.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

All I see is a Korean take on the mid-90s Avenger

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
To be fair, it came out before Kia's Optima styling debuted and started migrating to the rest of the lines.

It also had unfortunate timing. It was good for 2009 before the Elantra, Focus, and Cruze showed up with new styling. Now it's behind but is due for a restyling soon. It seems like it'll be a mini-Optima like these supposedly leaked images:

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

He died from watch-in-ass disease
Kinda weird that it has the Serron wheels from the 2012 VW GTI

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

jeff8472 posted:

Kinda weird that it has the Serron wheels from the 2012 VW GTI

Well, considering that that picture dates back from 2009, it's actually the other way around. Though, to be fair, black painting wheel with machined accents has been a thing for awhile.

"mod sassinator posted:

Personally I think these Korean versions look better than the Civic. The Kia Forte Koup is pretty drat sexy. Drop the 270hp turbo engine Hyundai has in there and I would be really interested.
I agree, but apparently the upcoming Koup turbo will have power only in the ~200 hp range, according to vague rumors.

Evanauto
Jul 27, 2007

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God.

Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed among cocktails.
Pray for me now, and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.
Amen.

Thwomp posted:

To be fair, it came out before Kia's Optima styling debuted and started migrating to the rest of the lines.

It also had unfortunate timing. It was good for 2009 before the Elantra, Focus, and Cruze showed up with new styling. Now it's behind but is due for a restyling soon. It seems like it'll be a mini-Optima like these supposedly leaked images:

If that's what the new Optima looks like, I will eat my hat.

and then I'll buy one...

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

kimbo305 posted:

The roofline on the Hyundai is more like the Civic, but otherwise, I agree.

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?

Evanauto posted:

If that's what the new Optima looks like, I will eat my hat.

and then I'll buy one...

Isn't that pretty much what it does look like, though?

Kia have made some loving stunning cars of late, but my understanding is that they need a new set of tyres to be fun to drive.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GlenMR posted:

Isn't that pretty much what it does look like, though?

Kia have made some loving stunning cars of late, but my understanding is that they need a new set of tyres to be fun to drive.

That's a fantastic looking vehicle. KIA needs to get some AWD going on that and it would be a viable option for me.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I can't stand how plain the grille is, though. If they moved the logo off the hood area and onto the grille I'd like it much more. Right now it's just this big span of empty space with a shiny frame around it to highlight the awkward shape. I have the same problem with the Optima.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
So the 2012 C&D Lightning Lap is up. There's not much really new or surprising in this years although the new Chryslers have all become much faster.

EDIT: Also the X5M gets a better time because it's a truck and just drives on the grass instead of the track? What kind of bullshit is this?

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jan 25, 2012

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I can't stand how plain the grille is, though. If they moved the logo off the hood area and onto the grille I'd like it much more. Right now it's just this big span of empty space with a shiny frame around it to highlight the awkward shape. I have the same problem with the Optima.

I think they designed in that way partially so that people couldn't just swap off the grill to debadge. People still don't yet take KIA/Hyundai seriously enough for people to want to advertise that they drive one. In fact, just today I saw somebody driving like a jackass in one that had badges that looked like a Chinese knockoff of a Lexus badge.

I actually like the design of the car a lot. I'd consider a turbo version if they gave it some performance upgrades and a manual transmission. But that will never happen.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Throatwarbler posted:

So the 2012 C&D Lightning Lap is up. There's not much really new or surprising in this years although the new Chryslers have all become much faster.

EDIT: Also the X5M gets a better time because it's a truck and just drives on the grass instead of the track? What kind of bullshit is this?

The X5M has a shitload of power (555HP) and a shitload of technology doing what it can to make a rather tall 5,300 lb beast handle as close to a car as it can. It's also $90k+ and should compared against the Cayenne and not really the Jeep.

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

Yea...this is pretty much the smartest thing I have ever done.
I never thought car advertising had too much influence on me. Being pretty into cars, it would take a lot more than a cool slogan or ad to get me to buy one car or brand over another...

But this new Audi ad actually makes me feel dirty...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw9ZeXB2uKs

I'd think I could see past a lovely ad, but this may actualy keep me from buying an Audi for a long time. At least until I forget this ad exists.

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's

ynotony posted:

I never thought car advertising had too much influence on me. Being pretty into cars, it would take a lot more than a cool slogan or ad to get me to buy one car or brand over another...

But this new Audi ad actually makes me feel dirty...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw9ZeXB2uKs

I'd think I could see past a lovely ad, but this may actualy keep me from buying an Audi for a long time. At least until I forget this ad exists.

I kind of like it.

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

Yea...this is pretty much the smartest thing I have ever done.

LTBS posted:

I kind of like it.

I like the concept, but if they had made it creepier and eerie rather than a comedy piece it would get a lot more respect from me.

This Audi new spot is much better:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=IGmCKxTgSrI

ynotony fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jan 26, 2012

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

ynotony posted:

The vampire one isn't bad, it's just sort of bland, but that one is brilliant.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

So BMW's diesel M car is a straight six with TRIPLE turbos. What?

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

A5H posted:

So BMW's diesel M car is a straight six with TRIPLE turbos. What?
From everything I've read, that's been the confusion but it's actually just a single twin scroll turbo or whatever it's called. Two exhaust input things, one boost output thing. Words are failing me right now.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Lowclock posted:

From everything I've read, that's been the confusion but it's actually just a single twin scroll turbo or whatever it's called. Two exhaust input things, one boost output thing. Words are failing me right now.

Triple turbos would be simpler than the ludicrous compound sequential setup the 35ds have right now.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

Lowclock posted:

I heard two smaller and one larger turbo, but whatever the configuration you have to wonder if it's more of a technology showcase/prototype for the rumored triple turbo six for the new M3. Can't be more efficient than a twin turbo six with high boost.

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE

ynotony posted:

I like the concept, but if they had made it creepier and eerie rather than a comedy piece it would get a lot more respect from me.

Being into fishing, I thought this commercial was amazing! I laughed pretty good the first time I saw it. Made me want to go buy a Quattro right then and there!

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001
I drove a 2012 Mercedes E550 the other day, with the new 4.7L biturbo V8. It's almost as fast as my 2004 E55 AMG, and with a tune/chip it'd undoubtedly be faster. 402hp/450lb-ft of torque stock, and the car is absurdly loving fast for a non-AMG that starts at $59k. Compared to the BMW 550i, I'd say the MB is far ahead in luxury and ride quality, but not quite as fun to drive.

I can't wait for them to depreciate to $40k in a couple of years. Incredible car for an incredible value. The 3.5L V6 is supposed to be replaced with a biturbo V6 for the MY13s as well, so that'll make even the base E350 a quick car.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Honda put out this ad which pays homage to Ferris Bueller's Day Off by giving Matthew Broderick a CR-V.

There's probably a metaphor for Honda's own middle age in here, in that they mostly just say "remember the 80s?" now while wistfully looking off into the distance and burping out inoffensive soft-edged garbage like this.

I have to give kudos to them allowing the car to bottom out and spark on the road, though.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Honda put out this ad which pays homage to Ferris Bueller's Day Off by giving Matthew Broderick a CR-V.

There's probably a metaphor for Honda's own middle age in here, in that they mostly just say "remember the 80s?" now while wistfully looking off into the distance and burping out inoffensive soft-edged garbage like this.

I have to give kudos to them allowing the car to bottom out and spark on the road, though.
I'm firmly in the camp of "Nice idea, well executed, should've waited for the new NSX".

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

More like "remember the 90's?" in terms of Honda's heyday.

The commercial was a great idea, however the idea of him replacing a Ferrari with a CRV is just plain stupid. CRV's are an appliance and are in no way shape or form a fun vehicle to drive. A Civic Si would have worked better, though marginally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I really hate it. John Hughes would never have signed off on that and shame on Broderick for doing it.