Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

IRQ posted:

Roy Kahn's voice, like many, many others, is processed a bit on the albums, but I've heard him live many times and he is quite good and not reliant upon computer processing to sound good. Recently? I don't know. I really didn't care for their last album at all so I don't know, but the guy does have a great voice.
That's really the part that bothers me: he doesn't need it, and yet they do it anyway. Ghost Opera seems particularly bad about it.

Sexbomb posted:

Did anyone else see them on the tour with Fabio? I almost got to interview them, but their label never got back to my editor.
I saw them a few months back; obviously Fabio has a bit of a different style from Roy Khan, but still a great show. Apparently they're already writing their next album even before they pick a new lead singer, which may be interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Packard Goose posted:

A co-worker said Wintersun is pretty good, confirm/deny?
Wintersun is loving ace.
The opening track on the (only) album is pretty straightforward but still awesome, and after that the songs get bigger and longer one after another.

As for Amorphis, I personally have never noticed their use of autotune. I'm not denying it because I have wooden ears, but it's certainly not the over-the-top robot singing as it's often used in pop music.
Give albums like Eclipse or Silent Waters a go, maybe the autotune is low-key enough to go under your radar. And if not, well, a lot of their old stuff is good too.

And folk metal, well, Korpiklaani are pretty boring as far as I'm concerned. I wanna heartily second the recommendation for Moonsorrow, and other great bands under the folk metal label would be:
-Finntroll. Especially the first two and last two albums, Midnattens Widunder, Jaktens Tid, Ur Jordens Djup and Nifelvind, respectively.
-Ensiferum. Somewhat more serious and "epic" as Finntroll, but they have their "hey-ho let's drink loads of beer" moments.
-Turisas. Now, while these guys are usually classed under "folk metal", I think that's a tenuous label at best. I think "soundtrack metal" would be more descriptive. Some guys here have given their latest album a lot of flak (for not being metal enough or someshit, I dunno), but I think it's a loving blast and has some goddamn dramatic stuff. And the two previous albums are awesome as well.

Lastly, as a closing wildcard, I wanna mention Arch Enemy. Dunno what to class them as, melodic death metal or something. At any rate, they have some kickass guitar leads and a hot blonde chick doing growling and screeching vocals.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Packard Goose posted:

Thanks! I wrote those guys down and will stay a while, and listen! I forgot to mention I also dig Novembers Doom, which is apparently aptly named because they're Doom Metal! I like the sound and tonality but the emo lyrics can take a hike.

If you like the sound, but not the lyrics maybe check out Swallow the Sun? Also a little self-indulgent in places, but their first three albums are really solid.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Radio Paranoia posted:

If you like the sound, but not the lyrics maybe check out Swallow the Sun? Also a little self-indulgent in places, but their first three albums are really solid.

Also Barren Earth (I will use any excuse to recommend them).

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Sexbomb posted:

Huldra - Also on the bill for Localized, these guys play really great post-metal in the vein of Rosetta and ISIS without sounding derivative.

Let me know what you guys think. I'll post more if there's interest.

Oooh, I like this a lot. Thanks for posting. I'm definitely on the lookout for more great stuff like this.

Sexbomb
Jul 22, 2007
This bomb's for lovin' - you can shoot it far.

Incoherence posted:

I saw them a few months back; obviously Fabio has a bit of a different style from Roy Khan, but still a great show. Apparently they're already writing their next album even before they pick a new lead singer, which may be interesting.

Yeah, I thought Fabio did a fantastic job live. He does have a different style, but I felt like it worked very well for them, especially on the duets with Simone Simmons. I remember them teasing once that they might ask Fabio to join the band as the new singer, but I think they later went on to say they weren't planning on it. Hopefully they use him for part of the new album.

Spergio Leone posted:

Oooh, I like this a lot. Thanks for posting. I'm definitely on the lookout for more great stuff like this.

Glad you liked it. SLC doesn't have much in the way of post-metal (I think it's mostly just them and a couple of bands up in Ogden), but definitely check out Dustbloom (if you haven't already). They're not quite as metal-oriented, though. If you want some more recommendations in the genre, though, let me know. I know the bassist of Huldra and he's pretty much an encyclopedia of post-metal knowledge.

Here are a couple of local Black Metal bands/projects in the area:

Yaotl Mictlan - Hispanic Aztec-themed black metal with Spanish lyrics. Probably my favorite local black metal act, but apparently their side project Xolotl is worth checking out too.

Winterlore - They play more straightforward black metal, and because they are so troo and kvlt, the only music I can find online are lovely cameraphone recordings of live shows. They have another release coming out soon. I'll post a link when I can find one that doesn't make me want to scratch my ears off.

Gallowbraid - This is a solo project started by a good friend of mine. He would probably be pissed to know I'm showing it to people (he's since distanced himself from the project and the genre at large), but it's seriously good stuff. He's hinted that another album might be happening soon.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Packard Goose posted:

I'd like to point out that Slayer won two grammys without ever having one of their tracks played on the radio. I hate Metallica for what they did with Napster and suing fans, and if Slayer can win a grammy with no air time then I don't know where that puts Metallica. Sure, Slayer had maybe a few songs on movie soundtracks, but that provides far less exposure than radio play.

While this may be true, the Grammy's are all about politics, and Slayer have been a part of huge music labels that are owned by Universal, Warner Brothers, and Sony. If you're going to tell me that none of those gigantic parent companies have ever spent any money to try and get one of their biggest metal artists some love from a group of whom most wouldn't know good heavy metal if it bit them in the rear end would be a bit naive, to say the least. Not to mention that Slayer hasn't written anything of real worth in nearly twenty years, so their two Grammy wins are from "Christ Illusion," which was one of their more commercially accessible albums. Just saying. </Slayer conspiracy>

Chalupa Joe posted:

Wow, you weren't kidding.

All I've heard so far is embarrassingly trite lyrics, and butt-rock nu-metal chugging.

Their first couple of albums may have had terrible lyrics, but at least the music was somewhat good (and there were solos!), their newer material is just awful.

I alerted Non Serviam to this very fact at how cringe-worthy the lyrics were. After showing him Andrea Ferro's horrific lyrics on "Give Me Something More," I remember saying to him, "A grown-rear end 38-year-old man wrote these with all seriousness in tact. Holy poo poo."

Like you, I actually enjoyed their previous albums, especially "Comalies," but "Dark Adrenaline" failed spectacularly in so many parts, even though there were a couple of good songs.

A TURGID FATSO fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jan 30, 2012

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Sexbomb posted:

Gallowbraid - This is a solo project started by a good friend of mine. He would probably be pissed to know I'm showing it to people (he's since distanced himself from the project and the genre at large), but it's seriously good stuff. He's hinted that another album might be happening soon.

Gallowbraid is loving ace and has been mentioned in this thread before. I know a few people who really dig his stuff. I liked the EP enough to play it on my show and am looking forward to any new releases a lot. It seems he's tapped something Agallochy but more heroic that I really dig. The contrasts between the acoustic and distorted, along with the clean vocals/growls really works.

skudmunky
Apr 28, 2010

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Also Barren Earth (I will use any excuse to recommend them).

I saw Barren Earth opening for Finntroll and Ensiferum last year and they blew me away. Awesome band.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

Nordick posted:

Wintersun is loving ace.
The opening track on the (only) album is pretty straightforward but still awesome, and after that the songs get bigger and longer one after another.

Oh, that reminds me, it's time for my bi-annual check on the release date of Time!!!

Well, the last update was in May of 2011 and their messageboards are down. http://wintermadness.net/messageboard/index.php

I guess I can wait another 2 years.

skudmunky posted:

I saw Barren Earth opening for Finntroll and Ensiferum last year and they blew me away. Awesome band.

I saw Barren Earth too, they were really good live and the singer is very good. Normally switching from growling to clean vocals suffer the most in a live setting but he did wonderful. That being said, I wasn't blown away by them mostly because I really really wanted to see Ensiferum.

I Brake For MILFs fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jan 30, 2012

Leopold N. Loeb
Apr 26, 2010

by XyloJW

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

Are there any band's doing music like Carcass' Swansong? Like hard rock with death metalish vocals. Still one of my favorite albums, and I haven't really heard anything much like it. Multiple cowbell solos are a plus.

Oh, yeah, there's also "Reflections," the 2nd full-length from Convulse.....

Stoo
Dec 29, 2004
SHART MY JORTS

420 shart jorts everyday

Sexbomb posted:

I loving love Gallowbraid. Tell your friend to hurry up with another album - it's fantastic stuff :)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Sigh are one of my guilty pleasures. "The Transfiguration Fear," a track from their upcoming album, In Somniphobia, is streaming a bit after the 16min mark in this BBC radio program webcast.

God they're so weird, I love it. They've gone... weird, Megaman-congo-fusion, or something.

edit-- not to mention they just have the best album covers:

rargphlam
Dec 16, 2008

Packard Goose posted:

I've heard a few folk metal bands, Korpiklanni being one of them and it's not too bad. If anyone can suggest more bands to check out based on the handful I have I'd probably hug you IRL.

On the subject of folk metal, I'm surprised no one has mentioned Windir yet. I'm not too clear on the hard definitions, but I want to say they're black-folk (Gr31lly please don't kill me).

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

rargphlam posted:

On the subject of folk metal, I'm surprised no one has mentioned Windir yet. I'm not too clear on the hard definitions, but I want to say they're black-folk (Gr31lly please don't kill me).

For all the noise created around Windir I've never found then that interesting. It feels like proto-folk without the melodic sensibility. Please tell me I'm doing something wrong.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

QPZIL posted:

Sigh are one of my guilty pleasures. "The Transfiguration Fear," a track from their upcoming album, In Somniphobia, is streaming a bit after the 16min mark in this BBC radio program webcast.

God they're so weird, I love it. They've gone... weird, Megaman-congo-fusion, or something.

This rules so hard.

In other news, it looks like "Corpsegrinder" is going to collaborate with Adam D. of Killswitch Engage and Shannon Lucas of The Black Dahlia Murder. I fear this is going to suck.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Radio Paranoia posted:

For all the noise created around Windir I've never found then that interesting. It feels like proto-folk without the melodic sensibility. Please tell me I'm doing something wrong.

black viking space techno

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

QPZIL posted:

poo poo, you really weren't joking about Megaman. I'm really excited to hear what the rest of this is going to sound like. I've only listened to Scenes from Hell by Sigh. What else is worth checking out?

burzum karaoke fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jan 30, 2012

Dooz
Jun 12, 2008

Mithras is a wonderful lesser-known band that plays spacey atmospheric death metal. Definitely one of my favorite recent finds.

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
On behalf of the Serbs, we're very sorry for the Hillary Clinton sniper incident. Next time, we'll aim better.

Packard Goose posted:

If anyone can suggest more bands to check out based on the handful I have I'd probably hug you IRL.

I don't know if I missed the recommendation fest, but I have the flu and am ranging between slightly and very feverish. However if it's not too late, I'd like to recommend Haggard for anyone who likes Epica, Nightwish, Leaves' Eyes or other symphonic metal.

These guys are based out of Germany and combine metal instrumentals and death growls with classical male and female vocals and instruments. My favorite song is probably Chapter 1: Tales of Ithira It's not as metal as the other song, but the bridge beginning at 5 min is really good, but the part at 5:52 is spine tingling.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

aliencowboy posted:

black viking space techno

I always get out my laser harp whenever someone posts this in this thread.

RIP Valfar you'll never be forgotten.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Dooz posted:

Mithras is a wonderful lesser-known band that plays spacey atmospheric death metal. Definitely one of my favorite recent finds.

Mithras is the best. Can't wait for the new album to drop

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

aliencowboy posted:

poo poo, you really weren't joking about Megaman. I'm really excited to hear what the rest of this is going to sound like. I've only listened to Scenes from Hell by Sigh. What else is worth checking out?

I think Scenes From Hell was too wacky for me. Hangman's Hymn (click) is probably my favorite album by them, it sounds like a really manic and orchestral Absu to my ears. Also, their earlier album Hail Horror Hail is really good, it's a little more old school and British sounding - you can really hear their Venom influences on it.

Enjoy! I'm always happy when I can help someone get into Sigh :)

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

QPZIL posted:

I think Scenes From Hell was too wacky for me. Hangman's Hymn (click) is probably my favorite album by them, it sounds like a really manic and orchestral Absu to my ears. Also, their earlier album Hail Horror Hail is really good, it's a little more old school and British sounding - you can really hear their Venom influences on it.

Sigh is always fun.

Dooz
Jun 12, 2008

QPZIL posted:

As a long-time fan of Sigh I must admit that I was not a big fan of any song from Hangman's Hymn except for David Harrow's remix of The Tranquilizer Song. I like weird metal and Gallows kind of regressed in that category.

Dooz fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jan 31, 2012

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

This past weekend we had our annual Metal4Africa Summerfest and the one band that really impressed me was Megalodon. It was their first live show, but the anticipation from the crowd was palpable. It helps that they put on a good show too.

It's blatant Meshuggah worship, a little too much so in places, but they make up for that by being the only band in South Africa doing that style. The recordings are alright except for the vocals, where I think the guy was trying to imitate Jens Kidman instead of doing his own thing (which he did on Saturday).

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Dooz posted:

As a long-time fan of Sigh I must admit that I was not a big fan of any song from Hangman's Hymn except for David Harrow's remix of The Tranquilizer Song. I like weird metal and Gallows kind of regressed in that category.

I think you got Hanman's Hymn mixed up with Gallows Gallery, which preceded it. Coincidentally, Gallows Gallery is probably my favorite Sigh album. Or at least it's the only one I ever listen to twice in a row.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Nordick posted:

And folk metal, well, Korpiklaani are pretty boring as far as I'm concerned.

Korpiklaani are boring in your living room and fantastic in concert. Plus, I have an enormous and frankly embarrassing crush on their new violinist. :allears:

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Oh man the new Sigh track sounds like they took Imaginary Sonicscape to hell. :woop: Official twitter linked to a youtube reupload so everyone who can't get at iPlayer can hear this.

Also as long as psychedelic black metal is on the table, Oranssi Pazuzu is a lot of fun.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Mammal Sauce posted:

Oh man the new Sigh track sounds like they took Imaginary Sonicscape to hell. :woop: Official twitter linked to a youtube reupload so everyone who can't get at iPlayer can hear this.

Also as long as psychedelic black metal is on the table, Oranssi Pazuzu is a lot of fun.

Well your avatar is certainly applicable to this discussion. It's also an awesome picture.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I gave Gallowbraid a listen and I fell in love, and it's total blue-balls that there is only one relatively short EP. :smith: I don't even normally like this kind of metal but God drat it's just good.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Mithras reminded me how much I want Darkspace to make a new album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVGUjSHQmlA

If you like Petrychor or Gallowbraid, a goon recommended to me this band Oskoreien as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh4dZscI9xA

Stay Safe fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jan 31, 2012

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008
Read that post too fast. Thought it said Gallowbeard. Was excited for Viking doom metal. Oh, well. For folky stuff, still diggin' Skalmold.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Hellwuzzat posted:

Read that post too fast. Thought it said Gallowbeard. Was excited for Viking doom metal. Oh, well. For folky stuff, still diggin' Skalmold.

Gallowbeard is a pretty awesome name for a metal group.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Stripper Nipple Tassel posted:

Gigantour was pretty good in Lowell tonight. The crowd was not very large, unfortunately. Lacuna

Coil opened and played for like 30 minutes, not really my thing but Cristina Scabbia has an incredible voice live. The bass was insane for most of the set.

Volbeat was surprisingly good live, I didn't really like anything I'd heard from them but they put on a really fun show. They were egging on the pit that started and the singer was swigging from a bottle of Jack Daniels, so you've got to respect that. I thought my little brother was going to cream his pants with joy when they played Reign in Blood, though

Motorhead was loud like always, but pretty low energy and Lemmy looked pissed off at the mosh pit and just in general when he got out. But then again, Lemmy always looks pissed off. Mikkey Dee did an amazing solo and really kind of stole the set. God drat dude went for like 10 minutes.

Megadeath was Megadeath, I've seen them twice before and didn't go away disappointed but they didn't really wow me. I was way up front getting pushed around in the crowd with every one else and got some lovely phone pictures. When they did A Tout La Monde with Cristina, you could barely hear her over the crowd, but it was probably the highlight of the show, that or Hangar 18. Or Peace Sells..but for personal reasons.

Man I was completely let down by sunday's show. Motorhead PLAYED well, but their set list sucked and it seemed to me they got a really short set. No surprises for songs and the ones they did play were songs anyone who's seen them before has heard already. Mikkey Dee did play his loving rear end off though, that was great.

Megadeth loving sucked. Another bad set list. I couldn't believe how much new poo poo they played.

And like the other guy talking about this tour, we almost got in a fight with 3 assholes in hunting hats and chinstraps.

I have never been disappointed with motorhead before :(
They still beat megadeth's rear end though.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Mammal Sauce posted:

I was kind of on the fence about this sound at first, but now I can't stop mashing the play button to listen to it again. It has an organ solo followed by a sax solo followed by a guitar solo and ends on a whistle chorus. :stare:

burzum karaoke fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 31, 2012

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008

Mammal Sauce posted:

As someone who has only heard Hangman's Hymn before this, I'm at a loss for words. This poo poo is wild. Also, Britney Spears being in the suggestions column is pretty hilarious.

e: Okay. On second click, she isn't there, but that :tinfoil: Loose Change documentary is...

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Ghost was loving awesome and holy poo poo they are touring with Opeth and Mastodon soon

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

DEAR RICHARD posted:

Ghost was loving awesome and holy poo poo they are touring with Opeth and Mastodon soon

That tour is coming to Charlotte, NC on May 10th and I can't wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yeah, contemplating going to that show but it's at a seated venue. And I'm not a fan of Mastadon nor any recent Opeth stuff. $50 for seeing Ghost... eh, tough one.