Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Ein Bear posted:

On the EU side of things, does anyone else's copy of Revelations look kinda cheaply printed? I got the CPP bundle if that makes any difference, but the boxart looks like it's come off a lower-quality printer than usual or something.

They had to save on costs somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martian Buddy
Jun 4, 2010

Are you ready to swear
right here,
right now,
before the devil

Cardboard Fox posted:

Since February is looking rather thin for games I may as well get back into the Resident Evil series. I've always wanted to play through all the good games, but only managed to beat 4 and 5. I have most of them lying around somewhere, but I wanted to ask you guys what order I should play them in. I'm thinking:

1. Resident Evil remake
2. Resident Evil 2
3. Resident Evil 3: Nemesis
4. Resident Evil 4
5. Resident Evil 5

Where does Code Veronica and 0 come in? Are there any others that I don't know about that are worth playing? And are there any remakes on 2 and 3 I'm not aware about? It's going to be a little weird going from the GC version of 1 to the PSX versions of 2 and 3.

Code Veronica comes after Nemesis, and is pretty good, all in all. 0 pretty much sucks so feel free to pass over it. 2 and 3 did get a port to the GCN a couple years back but they're exactly the same as their PSX counterparts.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Cardboard Fox posted:

Since February is looking rather thin for games I may as well get back into the Resident Evil series. I've always wanted to play through all the good games, but only managed to beat 4 and 5. I have most of them lying around somewhere, but I wanted to ask you guys what order I should play them in. I'm thinking:

1. Resident Evil remake
2. Resident Evil 2
4. Resident Evil 4
5. Resident Evil 5

Where does Code Veronica and 0 come in? Are there any others that I don't know about that are worth playing? And are there any remakes on 2 and 3 I'm not aware about? It's going to be a little weird going from the GC version of 1 to the PSX versions of 2 and 3.

I'd just play the core franchise in order like that and see where it takes you, although Code: Veronica is kind of like RE3.5 and has a bearing on RE5, so make time for that. If you're still chafing at the bit for more Resident Evil at that point, check out some of the side games.

Of those, RE: Survivor is absolutely skippable and has never been ported to another system, RE: Dead Aim isn't that bad but is kind of clunky to play and has a goofy James Bond story, the Outbreak games were designed for multiplayer on servers that are no longer running, and RE: Gaiden is just flat-out terrible.

RE0 is a pretty polarizing game that has since not turned out to matter at all to anyone, but it's got the highest production values of any of the side games and is probably worth checking out just so you can say you've tried it.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Cool, thanks for the info guys. I'll be starting out with the GC remake first anyways.

How do 2 and 3 hold up these days when it comes to controls? I'll be playing the PSX games on an emulator to make them look a little more crisp, but I heard the tank controls can be infuriating when coming from 4 and 5.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Cardboard Fox posted:

Cool, thanks for the info guys. I'll be starting out with the GC remake first anyways.

How do 2 and 3 hold up these days when it comes to controls? I'll be playing the PSX games on an emulator to make them look a little more crisp, but I heard the tank controls can be infuriating when coming from 4 and 5.

Eh, it's alright. You will spend like 30 minutes to get perfectly used to it, but after that, you will amaze yourself when you will dodge 4 zombies in row like it's nothing. At least that how it is for me.

BTW, do not hesitate to play these games on hard (or medium for RE2) since that's how they were meant to be played. As long as you do not gently caress up and think before rushing into the action, it won't be hard.

Now, just a few tips, because you might need them :
- Kill zombies only if you definitely have to, like if they are in a tight corridor you have to go through. A lot of zombies can and should be dodged, especially in RE2 and RE3, and it will save you a lot of ammo over time.
- Nemesis ain't that tough, but if it's your first time, it's alright to run away. You actually only have to fight him like 3 times anyway.
- Explore everything. There's tons of ammo/health somewhat "hidden" in thoses games, but it takes basically 2 brain cells to stockpile enough ammo to make final bosses regret messing with you. That especially applies to Code Veronica (and I'm putting this here just in case, but explosive bolts make the last fight so easy it's laughable.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Cardboard Fox posted:

1. Resident Evil remake
2. Resident Evil 2
4. Resident Evil 4
5. Resident Evil 5

If you do play 0 (and you should, because not everyone hates it) you should probably play it after C:V but before 4.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I've been playing Darkside Chronicles on the Wii again and it is still fun if you enjoy lightgun games.

Some of the level designs are a bit dull, but places like the RE2 police station chapters are great.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Son Ryo posted:

If you do play 0 (and you should, because not everyone hates it) you should probably play it after C:V but before 4.

But it's technically the first game in the chronology. Plus there is something to be said for starting with a weaker title and working your way up. I am a fan of REZero but I know a lot of people hate it while an equal number of people love REmake and consider it the best entry in the franchise. So why not start with a lesser title and not at the peak of RE goodness?

Either way I would definitely recommend you at least try RE0, CF.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jan 28, 2012

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

NikkolasKing posted:

But it's technically the first game in the chronology. Plus there is something to be said for starting with a weaker title and working your way up. I am a fan of REZero but I know a lot of people hate it while an equal number of people love REmake and consider it the best entry in the franchise. So why not start with a lesser title and not at the peak of RE goodness?

Either way I would definitely recommend you at least try RE0, CF.

Fair enough, but it should at least be played after RE2-- it really only works if you already know all about Wesker and Birkin, otherwise there are too many scenes and files you just won't get.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Cardboard Fox posted:

If you can, try playing the N64 version of RE2. It's a pretty unbelievable port in its own right (two discs on one cartridge with voiceovers and FMV's intact, albeit a bit pixelated, with superior sound and graphics blew my mind when it came out) but also has a bunch of extra files to pick up that aren't in any other version.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Awesome Welles posted:

If you can, try playing the N64 version of RE2. It's a pretty unbelievable port in its own right (two discs on one cartridge with voiceovers and FMV's intact, albeit a bit pixelated, with superior sound and graphics blew my mind when it came out) but also has a bunch of extra files to pick up that aren't in any other version.

Not to mention unlike every other version it has an alternate control scheme that gets rid of tank controls making your character move in the direction you push, which is far superior in every way.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Reive posted:

Not to mention unlike every other version it has an alternate control scheme that gets rid of tank controls making your character move in the direction you push, which is far superior in every way.

gently caress, I had forgotten about this, I'm regretting losing my copy of it even more now.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Reive posted:

Until the camera angle changes and you end up running in a tight circle while trying to run away from a zombie. The whole reason for the tank controls is so that forward is always the character's forward, left on the control pad is always the characer's left, and right is always right, no matter what angle you're looking at him from.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

First 10 minutes of ORC's first mission. its really 9 but "first 10" is a popular game journalism "thing" sooooo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0rEq2bF3yw&hd=1

It's actually kind of boring because it's the first mission and they, for some reason, decided not to introduce BOW's at that point. So it's just HUNK and his merry band of cosplayers gunning down UBCS and Government soldiers at Birkin's Lab. Yeah for some reason the game opens with that.

I noticed that the team squad powers activated a few times, what with the incendiary rounds and all. Got a good laugh out of that bug where HUNK rushed into a room and his mini-cutscene had him ending standing at the ready with an idle UBCS troop directly in front of him. Overall this would just seem more exciting if they were actually fighting zombies and stuff instead of faceless mooks, I mean I appreciate HUNK and RE history and all that but come on, level one should have a lot of zombies to shoot! Then again it's only 10 minutes so maybe when they get up that funicular (thanks DX: Human Revolution!) they fight zombies.

The characters in ORC talk a lot too, they're all just going back and forth like whatever. "Hey guys we're kind of in a life threatening situation but WHOA check out THAT crazy poo poo!". I think I'm a broken human being though, I recognized who the hell HUNK's talking to at the end of the video (like in who they're supposed to be). God drat you RE rail shooters.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

stratdax posted:

Until the camera angle changes and you end up running in a tight circle while trying to run away from a zombie. The whole reason for the tank controls is so that forward is always the character's forward, left on the control pad is always the characer's left, and right is always right, no matter what angle you're looking at him from.

Devil May Cry got around this by allowing the direction you were holding before the camera changed to move you forward, and switching it to normal the moment you let off the stick. So there are ways around it.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Oh, well poo poo, hey Dan Didio I think you were right about the Spec Ops in Operation Raccoon City.

20 new achievements/trophies added to ORC with the "Echo Six Expansion Pack" DLC

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Policenaut posted:

Oh, well poo poo, hey Dan Didio I think you were right about the Spec Ops in Operation Raccoon City.

20 new achievements/trophies added to ORC with the "Echo Six Expansion Pack" DLC

I'm pretty confident that this game is going to have a significant amount of playtime attached to it.

S+ rank on professional for all missions though? I'm going to guess there's no infinite rocket launcher on this one heh

Shut up and JAM!
Sep 3, 2011
The equipment they are using in ORC seems way too high tech for 1998.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Shut up and JAM! posted:

The equipment they are using in ORC seems way too high tech for 1998.

It's not in 1998 anymore. Sliding timeline. RE6 takes place 10 years after Raccoon City, and is set in 2012, so Raccoon City now took place in 2002. Also Umbrella are a crazy sci-fi tech company, so they probably give their operatives some cool poo poo.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.
Pretty much that, except less intentional and more Capcom not giving a gently caress.

I mean, the Chinese government had an orbital laser that could lock onto a microchip under someone's skin in like 2005. Umbrella having future guns isn't much of a stretch.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

TheJoker138 posted:

It's not in 1998 anymore. Sliding timeline. RE6 takes place 10 years after Raccoon City, and is set in 2012, so Raccoon City now took place in 2002. Also Umbrella are a crazy sci-fi tech company, so they probably give their operatives some cool poo poo.

Is it really a sliding timeline? I thought the "10 years after" was just a typo in the press release.

Shut up and JAM!
Sep 3, 2011

Crowetron posted:

Is it really a sliding timeline? I thought the "10 years after" was just a typo in the press release.

I was under the same impression.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Yeah, I thought it was a typo too because Capcom seems intent on saying "Hey ORC's in 1998"

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Hunk: Lupo, try to remember the basics of CQC.

That video was terrible. And I'm sure that whole "All players must be present to proceed" thing won't be used to grief at all.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

Alteisen posted:

Hunk: Lupo, try to remember the basics of CQC.

I remember them :smugbert:

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

I don't think the basics of CQC are going to help you much against BOWs.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

SnakesRevenge posted:

I remember them :smugbert:

drat it! I spent like five minutes trying to figure out how to put KNIFE. GUN. KNIFEGUN into a Resident Evil quote and then you went and posted with that avatar :argh:

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Schlegel Mach posted:

If anything, the BOWs need CQC. Show me a Tyrant who can retract his tenta-spikes and disassemble a customized shotgun. Birkin would have wanted nothing less.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Schlegel Mach posted:

Resident Evil 4 and 5 say otherwise. Chris punching a dude is like a shotgun attached to the end of his wrist.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Resident Evil 4 and 5 say otherwise. Chris punching a boulder is like a shotgun attached to the end of his wrist.

Don't count Leon out. Man knows his way around a suplex.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Resident Evil 4 and 5 say otherwise. Chris punching a dude is like a shotgun attached to the end of his wrist.

CQC works fine against boulders but try punching a giant tentacle monster and what do you get?

Nothing good.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
Resident Evil ORC talk: that does look boring, but I'm betting actually playing, especially with three other bros in brotiplayer is much more interesting than seeing a feed. Some games just work like that.

Plus, I heard there are zombies and G Birkin to fight later in the mission. I'm betting you spend a lot of it running the gently caress away, though, if Birkin is anything like he is in RE2.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

timeandtide posted:

Resident Evil ORC talk: that does look boring, but I'm betting actually playing, especially with three other bros in brotiplayer is much more interesting than seeing a feed. Some games just work like that.

Plus, I heard there are zombies and G Birkin to fight later in the mission. I'm betting you spend a lot of it running the gently caress away, though, if Birkin is anything like he is in RE2.

Why would we run when WE KNOW CQC.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Well I don't think CQC would work against Tyrants.

Perfect World
Jan 16, 2009

timeandtide posted:

Yep, a lot of running.

http://www.relyonhorror.com/latest-news/resident-evil-news/new-operation-raccoon-city-footage-shows-off-entire-g-birkin-boss-fight/

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Policenaut posted:

Well I don't think CQC would work against Tyrants.

Knifegun kicks the poo poo out of Nemesis, I'm sure it can handle some puny tyrants.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Policenaut posted:

Nailed it.

By the way, that effect on the guns to show that you're using incendiary ammo looks balls to the wall awful. Just add a symbol near my gun on the UI or something, Capcom.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Schlegel Mach posted:

Pretty much that, except less intentional and more Capcom not giving a gently caress.

I mean, the Chinese government had an orbital laser that could lock onto a microchip under someone's skin in like 2005. Umbrella having future guns isn't much of a stretch.

Pretty much. At this point in Resident Evil canon, Umbrella had human cloning in the mid-1980s, functioning cryogenic storage facilities in the 1990s, and custom-built pretty much all their weapons and hardware. In Code Veronica, the gun you use to kill the final boss is a man-portable plasma caster, and there's a working railgun in RE3. (I always wondered, given what's established by other games/movies with railguns in them: what happened to the slugs from that railgun in RE3? Did Jill knock down any buildings on the East Coast?)

The ORC team using slightly more advanced weapons and gear than what they'd ordinarily have had in 1998 isn't even a big deal. Umbrella being well ahead of the technology bell curve is pretty well-established in the games by now.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
Who could resist Resident Evil Revelations now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

...:what: