Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
Basically I think people want Wiz to just release a mod that fixes EU3, similar to MiscMods.

After all, since we've shelled out like $150 to Paradox, Wiz should build the game for us for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

EvanSchenck posted:

The OTL Cherokee Nation is actually the main historical example of a Native American nation attempting to survive and resist US expansion by becoming more like whites; they formed a constitutional republic, practiced the same agriculture as their Georgian neighbors, even to the point of owning slaves, they created a written language, many among Cherokee elite converted to Christianity, etc. etc. It didn't save them when the time came, although if you read up on the treaty process and so forth, they had succeeded in making it harder than it would otherwise have been (e.g. the Supreme Court actually sided with them against Georgia, and Congress barely approved the bullshit treaty that provided for their removal).

The big difference is that in this timeline, the Cherokee have been "westernized" for a long period of time, control a large land area, and were apparently capable of competing with and even frustrating British colonial designs. They lost a war against the British some decades back, but they only gave up the province of Chickasaw. They even have official alliances with European powers and New England itself, so it's likely that they're seen as a legit country rather than as a mere tribe.

Something that people need to remember is this though: westernized in EU3 is not the same thing as civilized in Vicky 2. Basically to be civilized in Vicky 2 you have to have certain techs researched. So an EU3 country can be westernized and "caught up" in several techs, but if the others lag then they might not start Vicky 2 as a civilized country.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Wiz posted:

I'd love it if you guys post some maps once a century or so, so I can see how things tend to develop.

1506, so not quite the century, but close enough! Both Mutapa and Kanem Bornu stretches down as far as they can without colonizing, having removed all opposition.

Sibir stretches from here..

.. To here. That grey selected bit up in the left corner is the rightmost border of Sibir.

India and Indochina

Better look on the Chinese territories. Qing is doing well!

And a huge picture of the part of Europe that matters according to Paradox. Most important thing going on here is Polish Golden Horde.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I have decided on Bulgaria for my run. MAXIMUM STEPPE WOLFE.

Mirdini
Jan 14, 2012

AtomikKrab posted:

I have decided on Bulgaria for my run. MAXIMUM STEPPE WOLFE.

Damnit I was planning the same

now to doubleBulgaria or not to doubleBulgaria

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I've played a few Azerimod games for maybe 50 years apiece so far and the one thing that has always happened is Poland becoming a scary GP. I assume this is because there's conquest missions for Ruthenia/Belarus/Crimea and they have land/offensive sliders making their armies pretty strong, plus there's a nice ablative shield of Russians which usually soak up the GH offensive for long enough for them to get a tech lead. It's really fun seeing the AI actually play effectively for a change.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Wiz posted:

I'd love it if you guys post some maps once a century or so, so I can see how things tend to develop.

One 1500 world map hot off the presses.

Thoughts:
Armenia is gobbling up Anatolia again.
Azerbaijan was doing much better than it is now but the Golden Horde stomped on them, and on that note holy hell is the Golden Horde doing well.
Poland is having a lot of trouble
Portugal is the premiere Iberian power.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

uPen posted:

Thoughts:
Armenia is gobbling up Anatolia again.
Azerbaijan was doing much better than it is now but the Golden Horde stomped on them, and on that note holy hell is the Golden Horde doing well.
Poland is having a lot of trouble
Portugal is the premiere Iberian power.

I was wondering what was different about England and then I realized...

:stare: IS THAT MANN??? :stare:

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Terrifying Effigies posted:

I was wondering what was different about England and then I realized...

:stare: IS THAT MANN??? :stare:

No one Mann should have all that power.

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.
I can't wait until the Mann civil war.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Mirdini posted:

Damnit I was planning the same

now to doubleBulgaria or not to doubleBulgaria

MAXIMUM BULGARIA ALWAYS

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Whizbang posted:

No one Mann should have all that power.

Why not? It is SuperMann.

:suicide:

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.

Triskelli posted:

Why not? It is SuperMann.

They've already Mannhandled Scotland. Where will they go next?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Dr. Not A Doctor posted:

They've already Mannhandled Scotland. Where will they go next?

I need to invade continental Europe so I can dismantle the HRE and proclaim the Imperium of Mann, which is obviously the goal for anyone playing Mann.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

uPen posted:

I need to invade continental Europe so I can dismantle the HRE and proclaim the Imperium of Mann, which is obviously the goal for anyone playing Mann.

Don't forget to establish the CoT, Mann Co. "We sell products and get in fights."

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
I started a new Batavian game, but the crash issue came back after about 60 years of playing; here is the file (zipped now!). Hopefully you'll be able to fix this bug in a save-compatible manner, but if not I'll just give my game a postmortem. Game settings AI Hard and lucky nations off.

The World 1460:

Eastern Europe: In the first year of the game the Golden Horde completely collapsed due to simultaneous invasions from both Moscow and Khwarizm; this the result. Although Muscowy looks terrifying its also completely focused on Central Asia, so it hasn't moved a single space westward in about 30 years. Poland fell apart when it got invaded by me, Hungary and Bohemia at the same time, but before that it was the strongest force in Eastern Europe. Bohemia was the Holy Roman Emperor for a long time, but the last election went to Franconia.

Western Europe: There was a schism in the Catholic Church, and it ended up with England vassalizing the Pope but Italy being the controller. Everyone got the 'Papal Desecration' Casus Belli on England and its just been downhill for them. Burgundy shattered early on and no French power has replaced them. Netherlands formed early and is the richest country in Europe.

Southern Europe: Al-Andalus has been slowly advancing through Iberia, although Portugal has taken a bit of ground back. Italy has been mostly stable with a single bad Peasants War. Old Great Bulgaria and Nicaea are the winners in Asia Minor.

Middle East: Jamilids used to be stronger but broke apart. Armenia is done for, and Azerbaijan looks to be in a good position to pick up the pieces.

Some issues: At one point Sweden invaded and conquered Estland, but then it rebelled against them with about 13k rebels. They couldn't break it by themselves, so they called in Novgorod and Finland to help. Together they stormed and captured the area but instead of re annexing it Sweden just let it go. This was good for me, but I'm wondering why they didn't just reannex it. Do countries get infamy reduction when dealing with nations that rebel against them?

Also the first time I fought Polond they were also at war with Hungary; as soon as I entered the fight they sued for peace, losing three provinces, and moved every single unit into my territory. Is the AI supposed to be so 'Anti-Player' or was it just some esoteric AI calculation?

Hyord
Aug 24, 2011

uPen posted:

I think you meant to say disManntle.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

I played STEPPE WOLFE as Vatican City.

Following the death of Pope John Paul II, the Cardinals elected the corpse of Pope Pius VII to fill the throne. Under his wise rule, the Swiss Guard was able to modernize from Napoleonic Arms to Tanks and conquer the DUCHY of San Marino. To celebrate this victory, the Pope converted to Judaism.

The attention of the Vatican was soon turned to the mysterious lands to the north. What strange things lay north of the city of Viterbo was anyone's guess. Still, a Spanish conquistador was hired and an expedition was made into the wild north. Through their travels, the Vatican discovered the country known only as 'Switzerland'. Unfortunately, the group was forced to flee following the Swiss conquest of Alsace-Lorraine. The expedition ended up in Liechtenstein, which they hastily conquered.

With three microstates under his belt, the Pope decided it was time to take on Italy itself. The Italian Army was bogged down in Florida and was not expected to return for some time. On December 25, 2010 war was declared. The Vatican managed to conquer vast swathes of Italian land including Rome itself.

Victory would have been assured had Bulgaria not intervened in the conflict. Their armies quickly marched across the Mediterranean and into Italy. Their armies layed waste to the landscape and soon only the Vatican itself was left unscathed. Thanks to the valiant efforts of the corpse of Pius VII, the Vatican held out for four days before falling to the mighty Bulgarian armies.

Thus ended the pontificate of the corpse of Pius VII.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jan 31, 2012

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
Any suggestions on starting with a smaller nation in Wizmod? It seems like some of the sources of cash for building infrastructure and armies that I've grown used to are lessened quite a bit and I'm still trying to get used to this. Are there any advisor picks that are worthwhile for a smaller country? Its hard to justify the cost when your annual balance is like +9 ducats.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Wiz posted:

It's to keep nations from declaring war in the first year before alliances have time to form. They get stability back after that.

Playing as the Batavian Order, Sweden and Finland declared war on me day one, and Norway and Thuringia joined. Amazingly, my war against all of Scandinavia is going well; Muscovy offered me an alliance, and even before then I could beat their soldiers even if they had a 2000 soldier advantage, but the war is forcing me into early game debt :(.

E: Oh, the CB was Conquest of Livland

E2: Meckleberg has joined the war. A lot of good it did them, I still crush anyone they send over. Honestly, I was posting this because I thought it was giving me an early game disadvantage, but now I think the countries I'm at war with are suffering from this far more.

Oh, and I'm playing with all default settings (hard mode, aggression normal, though I did turn lucky nations on)

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jan 31, 2012

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)

QuoProQuid posted:

I played STEPPE WOLFE as Vatican City...

History as it happened.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

Hyord posted:

I think you meant to say disManntle.

They'll run out of Mannpower first. :v:

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Kersch posted:

Any suggestions on starting with a smaller nation in Wizmod? It seems like some of the sources of cash for building infrastructure and armies that I've grown used to are lessened quite a bit and I'm still trying to get used to this. Are there any advisor picks that are worthwhile for a smaller country? Its hard to justify the cost when your annual balance is like +9 ducats.

Either you trade and mint, or you beat up smaller nations than you for their lunch money.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.
I started a game as proto-Greece and quickly restored the Byzantine Empire, because I am a shameless Byzantiphile. Two comments I wanted to share.

1) The new siege pace is nice. I was dubious hearing about assaults being removed when I only had vanilla to compare to, but this works well.

2) Superior Seamen is awesome. Almost frighteningly so. I was punching way over my weight class and managed to secure the annexation of the Latin Empire starting with a 1400 war with Italy and all its allies simply because my starting fleet was nigh unbeatable even without an admiral.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

1. Poland is overpowered.
2. 100 galley fleets in 1400 :stare:

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Is there a way to make Orthodox countries less.... eager to ally with me? My two biggest allies are Novgrod and Muscovy, and I am using their help to wage war against Catholics. I am not a good Catholic military order :saddowns:.

Ninja E: Still Batavian Order

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
The Wold of Mann as of 1600:

North America

Only 2 colonizers, England and Friesland. Friesland only has a single province and England is getting it's rear end handed to it repeatedly by the westernized Huron, Iroquois and Creek. The majority of it's territory is always occupied by one of the three, usually Huron.

South America

Four colonizers here, the majority of it including the Carribean is Portugal with a scatting of Castillian and Italian colonies. The light green block of colonies on the north coast is Brabant. Lookit all that GREEN. Also the Inca are kicking rear end.

Europe

Bohemia dominates the HRE with Franconia and Anjou being the runners up. Burgandy is blobbing up on whatever it can snag from the Empire, Portugal is bullying Castille around and Italy is getting driven off the mainland onto the peninsula. In the East it's Courland, Poland and Bohemia facing off against the Orthodox Kiev and the Musowy that gobbled up the entire golden horde in about 20 years. Thessalonica decided being purple was cool and formed Byzantium and is now in the process of rebuilding the empire on the corpses of Nicaea and Armenia. Azerbaijan would be doing great if it weren't sandwiched between two superpowers, so it's really just a matter of time until one of them gobbles it up.

Africa

Portugal in the South, various native Kingdoms blobbing up. I'm interested to see if a European power can get a real foothold here.

Asia

Persian superblob, Qin got a lucky inheritance and is looking to unite China but the rest is fairly normal. Mann is 3 naval range from colonizing India.

I love this mod.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
If someone were to port this to the historical scenario it'd be my go-to game like Miscmods is now. A seriously excellent mod.

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
Had a bug playing as the Batavian Order. While besieging Swedish Estland all of my infantry troops would just vanish. I'd sent 5,000 fresh infantry and they would end up in Estland then disappear.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
If a European nation moves it's capital to the New World you get a colonialism CB on their European holdings, not sure if it's a bug or not but it's interesting.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

uPen posted:

If a European nation moves it's capital to the New World you get a colonialism CB on their European holdings, not sure if it's a bug or not but it's interesting.

That's actually kinda awesome. I would justify it by the Europeans saying the nation 'went native', and they've already renounced their right to the provinces by moving the capital.

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.

Conskill posted:

I started a game as proto-Greece and quickly restored the Byzantine Empire, because I am a shameless Byzantiphile. Two comments I wanted to share.

1) The new siege pace is nice. I was dubious hearing about assaults being removed when I only had vanilla to compare to, but this works well.

2) Superior Seamen is awesome. Almost frighteningly so. I was punching way over my weight class and managed to secure the annexation of the Latin Empire starting with a 1400 war with Italy and all its allies simply because my starting fleet was nigh unbeatable even without an admiral.

I did the same thing, but I started as Nicaea. You don't even need Superior Seamanship, my starting fleet of 16 Galleys and 4 Cogs held off the navies of Italy and all its vassals. It kind of cheapens the restoration of the Empire, but I don't know what to do about it.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Kersch posted:

Tech investment advisors are usually my goto for small countries considering the return is 1 tech per 0.1 spent + whatever other bonus they give.

You'll want to trade - the penalty for having lots of merchants placed means that even non-trade countries can usually sustain merchants in at least one COT.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Servant posted:

The entire reason Christiania revolted in the first place was due to the colonies being overrun by Catholic zealots. The idea of the Christania revolting due to religious reasons, and then converting to another faith is absurd. You have to have some sort of compromise, possibly an "Anti-Pope Catholicism" religion that is a sect of Catholicism but still not Protestant/Reformed.

So, like the Old Catholics or the Sedevaticanists?

Would be nice to have an antipope in the New World.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
WizMod: only one more option for "Comet Sighted"? 3/10

But really, it's a very different change of pace from usual EU3, and I think I like it. The killer infamy limit means nations blob less quickly, and subsequently any territory (usually one province without a valid CB) feels more hard-won. Playing through as Carinthia, after a couple of false starts I've learned Wizmod requires a lot less wanton DoWs and more opportunistic wars to do well in. Will post some maps as I get further through, only in 1447 by now.

edit: Also, Wiz, what is NIT? It rebelled out from Hungarian Italy and was then taken from Bohemia. There might be in localisation, their separatists are called "NIT_ADJ Separatists".

The Narrator fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Jan 31, 2012

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011

Reveilled posted:

Would be nice to have an antipope in the New World.

Only if it's this antipope.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

uPen posted:

How do you get world map screens like this?

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Press F12. A map of the world is saved to your screenshots folder. Hold shift and press F12 for a map marking just your territories.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Here is a teaser of Bulgaria's progress so far. Byzantium and myself toy with each other by answering alliance call to arms' then white peacing out. Gotta start raiding and releasing some minors to de-blob things. There is only one blob and it is BULGARIA.

Click here for the full 5616x2160 image

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
Cranked out some fixes during lunch. Here's AzeriEU3 1.01. Should be save game compatible (no guarantees though).

quote:

1.01:
- Added an option on game startup to play with AI restraint always on. This will make the AI refrain from taking any territory they do not have a casus belli on, making for far more realistic borders at the expense of the AI's ability to blob.
- Cilli now properly has Slovenian as its primary culture.
- Reduced war exhaustion growth from being at war.
- Removed the war blocking from the first year of gameplay since it wasn't working very well anyway.
- Increased tax income from COT level.
- Removed pop growth bonus from COT level (replaced by growth bonus from extra tax).
- Reduced the number of cannons on Big Ships.
- Fixed some issues with duplicate events.
- Fixed a problem in form Spain decisions that gave Portugal/Aragon the wrong decisions.
- Fixed a potential bug where islands could spawn endless rebel stacks.
- Fixed missing localisation for Nitra.
- Fixed a freeze caused by patriots enforcing their claims on a country of the same culture.

It's worth noting that I played for most of the EU3 part of the LP with AI restraint always on. Turned it off near the end to help the AI nations consolidate faster.

• Locked thread