Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Rhyno posted:

GLC just goes to HC first, the SCs are later, like all DC HCs.

Where later can be a year or two

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

wildlele posted:

Fantagraphics seems reasonably safe against this sillyness but time will tell.

Between Locas and Locas II, they changed the width of the books (from spine to edge) and Locas sticks out 1/2" further than II when on the shelf. That's way more annoying than any logo change.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
DC Source has modified their list of the New 52 trades/hardcovers. It looks like all the books that are getting canned will end up collecting all 8 issues instead of the first 6, as well as a few titles getting their issue count bumped up to 7.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Space_Butler posted:

DC Source has modified their list of the New 52 trades/hardcovers. It looks like all the books that are getting canned will end up collecting all 8 issues instead of the first 6, as well as a few titles getting their issue count bumped up to 7.

I'm really shocked they're collecting the canceled books. I'll be even more shocked at the retailers that actually order them.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Rhyno posted:

I'm really shocked they're collecting the canceled books. I'll be even more shocked at the retailers that actually order them.

I suspect that a lot of those collections will never make it to shelves.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

In the long run most of them will probably sell much better as collected editions than the solo issues ever did. Maybe not as much in comic shops, but bookstores (and Amazon) will probably do ok with them. And if DC is really gung-ho about the new 52 being a fresh start it's a good idea for them to be consistant in making everything available for future readers, in case the material in the cancelled books make future appearances.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Rhyno posted:

I would buy an OMAC trade...

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Apparently the Xombi TPB is coming out tomorrow, so I have some faith if they're collecting a low selling series with 0 chance of being referenced.

It's like they took the guy who was in charge of trades and shuffled him off into some corner where he could do no further harm...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

StumblyWumbly posted:

Apparently the Xombi TPB is coming out tomorrow, so I have some faith if they're collecting a low selling series with 0 chance of being referenced.

It's like they took the guy who was in charge of trades and shuffled him off into some corner where he could do no further harm...

New comics and trades come out on Wednesdays.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Rhyno posted:

New comics and trades come out on Wednesdays.

It's one of those weeks

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
The first Chew Omnivore edition had this really great sewn binding and opened flat, just bought the second vol and they changed the binding to the regular glue kind. It's not necessarily bad there's not a lot of gutter loss, but drat compared to the first volume it's pretty bad.

Just thought i'd share that with you guys if any of you were thinking about buying it.

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006
Is it time to be an android not a man
THE 52 OMNIBUS HC
Writers: Geoff Johns, Grant Morrison, Greg Rucka and Mark Waid
Artists: Keith Giffen, Joe Bennett, Ruy Jose, Jack Jadson, Chris Batista, Jimmy Palmiotti, Ken Lashley, Eddy Barrows, Rob Stull, Shawn Moll, Tom Nguyen, Todd Nauck, Marlo Alquiza, Dale Eaglesham, Art Thibert, Patrick Olliffe, Drew Geraci, Ray Snyder, Phil Jimenez, Andy Lanning, Rodney Ramos, Dan Green, Tom Derenick, Jay Leisten, Jamal Igle, Keith Champagne, Andy Smith, Giuseppe Camuncoli, Dan Jurgens, Norm Rapmund and Darick Robertson
Collects: 52 #1-52
$150.00 US, 1216 pg

solidrooster
Apr 8, 2009

Glenn Danzig posted:

THE 52 OMNIBUS HC
Writers: Geoff Johns, Grant Morrison, Greg Rucka and Mark Waid
Artists: Keith Giffen, Joe Bennett, Ruy Jose, Jack Jadson, Chris Batista, Jimmy Palmiotti, Ken Lashley, Eddy Barrows, Rob Stull, Shawn Moll, Tom Nguyen, Todd Nauck, Marlo Alquiza, Dale Eaglesham, Art Thibert, Patrick Olliffe, Drew Geraci, Ray Snyder, Phil Jimenez, Andy Lanning, Rodney Ramos, Dan Green, Tom Derenick, Jay Leisten, Jamal Igle, Keith Champagne, Andy Smith, Giuseppe Camuncoli, Dan Jurgens, Norm Rapmund and Darick Robertson
Collects: 52 #1-52
$150.00 US, 1216 pg

Yes! Although highly doubtful, it would be great if they included the two page origin stories that were included in the weekly singles.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.
52 is well worthy of an Omnibus but I'm so very wary of DC's massive omnibuses and the too-tight binding they use. Have a look at the Masterworks Messageboard thread for some pictures of how much art is lost in the recent "new 52" omnibus

http://marvelmasterworksfansite.yuku.com/topic/19150/Binding-Books-Laying-Flat--related-DC-Hardcover-Complaints

Some other highlights (for me) coming later in the year from DC...

quote:

SHOWCASE PRESENTS: AMETHYST, PRINCESS OF GEMWORLD VOL. 1 TP
Writers: Dan Mishkin and Gary Cohen
Artists: Ernie Colon, Ric Estrada, Pablo Marcos, Alex Saviuk, Bob Smith, Gary Martin, Romeo Tanghal, Kurt Schaffenberger and Karl Kesel
Collects: LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES #298, AMETHYST, PRINCESS OF GEMWORLD #1-12, AMETHYST ANNUAL #1, DC COMICS PRESENTS #63 and AMETHYST #1-11
$19.99 US, 648 pg

I'm buying it. :colbert:

quote:

LEGENDS OF THE DARK KNIGHT: ALAN DAVIS HC
Writer: Mike W. Barr
Artists: Alan Davis, Paul Neary, Mark Farmer, E.R. Cruz, Terry Beatty, Carmine Infantino, Dick Giordano,
Collects: DETECTIVE COMIS #569-575, BATMAN: FULL CIRCLE #1 and a story from BATMAN: GOTHAM KNIGHTS #25
$39.99 US, 272 pg

An awesome (and much overlooked) little run from Barr and Davis, very highly recommended but it's maybe a little slim for the price point. Whatever, I'll be buying it.

quote:

STORMWATCH VOL. 2 HC
Writer: Warren Ellis
Artists: Tom Raney, Oscar Jimenez, Bryan Hitch, Paul Neary, Randy Elliot and others
Collects: STORMWATCH #48-50 and #1-11
$29.99 US, 384 pg

Never read Ellis' Stormwatch but I've heard good things.

quote:

ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN: GIL KANE HC
Writers: Martin Pasko, Bob Rozakis, Marv Wolfman, Gil Kane, Cary Bates, Roy Thomas and Joey Cavalieri
Artist: Gil Kane
Collects: SUPERMAN #367, 372, 375, ACTION COMICS #539-541, 544, 545, 546 and 551-554, SUPERMAN SPECIAL #1, 2 and DC COMICS PRESENTS ANNUAL #3
$39.99 US, 392 pg

Looks like they're doing for Superman what they've done for Batman with the Colan/Newton/Rogers books, and I do love me some Gil Kane.

quote:

DEADMAN VOL. 3 TP
Writers: Bob Haney, Arnold Drake, Paul Levitz, Cary Bates, Martin Pasko and Gerry Conway
Artists: Dick Dillin, Mike Grell, Fred Carrillo, Jim Aparo, Kurt Schaffenberger, Romeo Tanghal and others
Collects: WORLD’S FINEST COMICS #223, 227, PHANTOM STRANGER #33, 39-41, THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD #133, SUPERMAN FAMILY #183 and DC SUPER STARS #18
$16.99 US, 176 pg

Amazed that these classic Deadman trades are continuing but I'm not gonna look a gift horse in the mouth.

quote:

KAMANDI, THE LAST BOY ON EARTH OMNIBUS VOL. 2 HC
Writer: Jack Kirby, Gerry Conway and Paul Levitz
Artists: Jack Kirby, D. Bruce Berry and Mike Royer
Collects: KAMANDI, THE LAST BOY ON EARTH #21-40
$49.99 US, 416 pg

Full list here:

http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/2012/01/30/dc-comics-fall-2012/

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Shameless posted:

KAMANDI, THE LAST BOY ON EARTH OMNIBUS VOL. 2 HC
Writer: Jack Kirby, Gerry Conway and Paul Levitz
Artists: Jack Kirby, D. Bruce Berry and Mike Royer
Collects: KAMANDI, THE LAST BOY ON EARTH #21-40
$49.99 US, 416 pg

All over this one, had a blast with the first omnibus.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Shameless posted:

An awesome (and much overlooked) little run from Barr and Davis, very highly recommended but it's maybe a little slim for the price point. Whatever, I'll be buying it.
Well drat, I was planning on doing that one myself since those comics are so drat good and I got tired of waiting on DC to get around to it. Mandatory Bat-reading right there, folks.

CBR's in-depth look at 'em

redbackground fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jan 31, 2012

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Chalk up another Amethyst Showcase purchaser.

The thing I find really odd on that list is this:

quote:

THE DC COMICS ART OF AMANDA CONNER HC
Writers: Barbara Kesel, Chuck Dixon, Jai Nitz, Terry Moore, Geoff Johns, Jimmy Palmiotti, Judd Winick,
Artists: Amanda Conner and Jimmy Palmiotti
Collects: SUPERMAN: LOIS LANE #1, BIRDS OF PREY #47-49, JSA CLASSIFIED #1-4, SUPERGIRL #12, WEDNESDAY COMICS #1-12, and stories from SECRET ORIGINS 80-PAGE GIANT #1, JOKER: LAST LAUGH SECRET FILES #1, the GREEN ARROW/BLACK CANARY WEDDING SPECIAL #1 and WONDER WOMAN #600
$39.99 US, 304 pg

I like Amanda Conner but that's a strange grab bag of stuff and I didn't think she was high profile enough for this kind of collection. Is this DC going, "See! We have a woman drawing comics for us!"?

I'm probably going to order that bronze age GL collection too.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I am so down for that Gil Kane Superman book. I hope it turns into a series and they stop just short of when he started inking everything with a Sharpie.

Fight My Dad!
Mar 9, 2008

I wish I had Paul Newman's eyes
That would be nice.

Random Stranger posted:

Chalk up another Amethyst Showcase purchaser.

The thing I find really odd on that list is this:

I like Amanda Conner but that's a strange grab bag of stuff and I didn't think she was high profile enough for this kind of collection. Is this DC going, "See! We have a woman drawing comics for us!"?

I'm probably going to order that bronze age GL collection too.

She's got enough fans to justify collecting previously uncollected work. The grab bag of stuff is basically necessary - apart from Terra and Power Girl, has she got any long-form work for DC?

What I find weird is the inclusion of Wednesday Comics. I know her story was hardly Wonder Woman, which absolutely couldn't be shrunk, but it's still pretty designed for the big pages.

Takei is Okay
Sep 3, 2011

quote:

STORMWATCH VOL. 2 HC
Writer: Warren Ellis
Artists: Tom Raney, Oscar Jimenez, Bryan Hitch, Paul Neary, Randy Elliot and others
Collects: STORMWATCH #48-50 and #1-11
$29.99 US, 384 pg

Uh oh. No WILDCATS/ALIENS?

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006

Takei is Okay posted:

Exactly, what a worthless collection. Should have had everything in 1 single oversized volume, not 2 regular sized hardcovers that are missing the finale.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Takei is Okay posted:

That threw me as well. That's uh, kind of necessary. I'm hoping it's just a sloppy solicit.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

redbackground posted:

That threw me as well. That's uh, kind of necessary. I'm hoping it's just a sloppy solicit.

The article does say "Please note, this information is not final and may be subject to change. For more complete information, please check the upcoming solicitations in Previews or online."

DC have changed contents in the past between announcements like this and actual solicits (well I'm pretty sure they have...)

Shameless fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jan 31, 2012

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They probably have to re clear the rights to print the Aliens again. That's what held up the original softcover.

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006

Rhyno posted:

They probably have to re clear the rights to print the Aliens again. That's what held up the original softcover.

I almost hope it does not get cleared. What a stupid move putting this run in 2 standard hardcovers. loving DC, TAKE MY MONEY!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

paulnewmanseyes posted:

She's got enough fans to justify collecting previously uncollected work. The grab bag of stuff is basically necessary - apart from Terra and Power Girl, has she got any long-form work for DC?

But that's just it. I'm not sure she does have enough fans to justify it. It's not like Power Girl was burning up the sales charts when she was working on it. She's one of the many brilliant creators out there who consistently do great work but haven't been on something with a high enough profile to become one of the stars of the industry.

It makes it seem like this is DC attempt to clumsily deal with the complaints about the lack of women in creative positions. They're practically saying, "See, even if we were complete dicks about this issue before we celebrate the chicks working for us!"

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Glenn Danzig posted:

I almost hope it does not get cleared. What a stupid move putting this run in 2 standard hardcovers. loving DC, TAKE MY MONEY!
Is the problem that they're not oversized?

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006

redbackground posted:

Is the problem that they're not oversized?

The problem is the run is split between 2 books and as of now, does not include the finale.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Glenn Danzig posted:

The problem is the run is split between 2 books and as of now, does not include the finale.

Actually, WildC.A.T.s/Aliens took place before the two final issues of Stormwatch, #10 and 11. #11 ended with the funeral of the team members killed by the Xenomorphs and led directly into The Authority #1.

EDIT: drat, we're almost up to two years without a seventh and final Booster Gold TPB. Screw you, DC.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Feb 1, 2012

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Actually, WildC.A.T.s/Aliens took place before the two final issues of Stormwatch, #10 and 11. #11 ended with the funeral of the team members killed by the Xenomorphs and led directly into The Authority #1.

It's presented in the trade in the correct reading order:

Stormwatch #10
"Chaper One: No Reason

WildC.A.T.s/Aliens One Shot
"Chapter Two: WildC.A.T.s/Aliens"

Stormwatch #11
"Chapter Three: No Direction Home"

If someone was to read that without the middle chapter, WildC.A.T.s/Aliens, it would be pretty crappy. Wildstorm themselves titled WildC.A.T.s/Aliens "Chapter Two" of this 3 part story.

Let's put it this way, if I bought this collection and then later found out that there was a one shot explaining why everyone was dead and it wasn't included in the hardcover, I would be pissed.

Glenn Danzig fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Feb 1, 2012

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I stand corrected, but I knew it wasn't the final chapter.

It's funny, I've found a handful of cheap copies of WildC.A.T.s/Aliens in dollar bins and even quarter bins over the years, and I always flip them on Amazon Marketplace in the $15-$25 range. I don't own a copy anymore, since I can't resist that. That one-shot is easier to find than the corresponding Stormwatch: Final Orbit TPB nowadays!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Why in the gently caress is there a Geoff Johns omnibus for the Flash, but not a Mark Waid one? Not that the Geoff Johns stuff is bad, but isn't Johns' stuff essentially just building on Waid's legendary run?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Why in the gently caress is there a Geoff Johns omnibus for the Flash, but not a Mark Waid one? Not that the Geoff Johns stuff is bad, but isn't Johns' stuff essentially just building on Waid's legendary run?

Geoff Johns basically is in control of the DC Universe Waid is writing for Marvel and I am sure Waid pissed people off

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Johns Omnibus is to diffuse how overpriced some of the trades had gotten I think.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

El Gallinero Gros posted:

As much as I'd rather have the Waid run I'm not objecting to an omnibus that costs as same as some of the OOP trades.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

^burtle posted:

Johns Omnibus is to diffuse how overpriced some of the trades had gotten I think.

Nevermind that there's what, 1 Waid Flash trade?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Rhyno posted:

Nevermind that there's what, 1 Waid Flash trade?

I am not sure how many in print but there is
Born to Run
The Return of Barry Allen
Reckless Youth
Terminal Velocity
Dead Heat
Race Against Time
Future Perfect
The Wild Wests

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

I am not sure how many in print but there is
Born to Run
The Return of Barry Allen
Reckless Youth
Terminal Velocity
Dead Heat
Race Against Time
Future Perfect
The Wild Wests

Sorry, I meant in print. But I was wrong, the only Mark Waid Flash book still available new from the publisher is the Flash/GL Brave and the Bold mini.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

I know a bit bit of a petty old man when it comes to these sort of things but DC really know how to piss me off. Two trades, released on the same day: Catwoman has the covers in all the right places, Resurrection Man? Covers all bunched together at the back.

Dicks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Shameless posted:

I know a bit bit of a petty old man when it comes to these sort of things but DC really know how to piss me off. Two trades, released on the same day: Catwoman has the covers in all the right places, Resurrection Man? Covers all bunched together at the back.

Dicks.
:rant::hf::reject: Nothing bugs me more (collected editions-wise) than when the covers aren't placed before each issue. Luckily, it's much more rare now then it used to be.