Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Benly posted:

What really got me is her bizarre answer to the "who do you resemble" question. The game itself didn't grab me so much this episode but the tamage, Ring Ring Tactics and Arino/staff interplay were all great.

Yeah - he asked a silly question, and she gave a silly answer. Don't forget that she's a fan of the show. After all, that's why she wrote in, hoping to be part of that particular segment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

hardcore sound gets you hypah

the least weasel posted:

The guy went back on what he said and left it at "It weirds me out that Arino periodically acts like a giant perv. Yes I know it's a joke. It's still kinda creepy. I can think these things and still enjoy the show." and you still felt the need to get this defensive about it. Maybe think about that for a while.

Dude, I think you're kinda completely missing the point about what's bothering me here. I read both that and his followup of 'why is everybody getting on my case for generalizing,' something he didn't go back on, but fair enough. I've already contributed far too much to this horrible derail, and I apologize for that.

To try to get a bit more on-topic and waste less typespace, I'm really liking the torrent setup. I always get faster downloads from them than those filehosting sites, and with all their popunders and constant ads they always put me off a bit.

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.
Thanks to all the goons who are seeding these. I was able to grab the last episode in literally ten minutes. I'll keep seeding tonight, I've got a decent connection.

Das_Ubermike
Sep 2, 2011

www.oldmanmurray.com

Lock posted:

Dude, I think you're kinda completely missing the point about what's bothering me here. I read both that and his followup of 'why is everybody getting on my case for generalizing,' something he didn't go back on, but fair enough. I've already contributed far too much to this horrible derail, and I apologize for that.

To try to get a bit more on-topic and waste less typespace, I'm really liking the torrent setup. I always get faster downloads from them than those filehosting sites, and with all their popunders and constant ads they always put me off a bit.

Well Corridor is a woman, so I'd say she's entirely justified to find the behavior a bit more disconcerting than a meatslinger such as you or I.

Back On-Topic. I really could have gone without seeing Arino pantsless...again. Still a couple of really solid episodes back to back. Thanks SA-Team. You're the reason I paid my 10 bucks.

Das_Ubermike fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jan 31, 2012

taopriest
Oct 25, 2011

"Games Are Like Baths, Without Them, We Would Get Sick" Igarashi Koji
Best parts were indeed the "Tamage" and "Ring Ring Tactics" segments in Episode 12 Takeshis Castle.

Fluffy Tail
Jan 3, 2012

"I am the beginning and the end. The alpha and the omega. The first and the last."

Chaos Dunk
Takeshis Castle just isn't as good for me without Craig Charles's commentary.

I miss watching that show now, it was hilarious.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Dominic White posted:

Yeah - he asked a silly question, and she gave a silly answer. Don't forget that she's a fan of the show. After all, that's why she wrote in, hoping to be part of that particular segment.

You could even say she was asking for it.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Fluffy Tail posted:

After Arino's first run through all I could hear was 'No winners this time on Takeshi's Castle!'

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Hmm... that last chance to see Retro Game Master is a much longer last chance than I would have expected...

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

You think they announced the loss of rights early so as to try and drum up more views to take back as an excuse to extend the rights? Or is that too grassy knoll?

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Allen Wren posted:

You think they announced the loss of rights early so as to try and drum up more views to take back as an excuse to extend the rights? Or is that too grassy knoll?

That's assuming Kotaku cares about something that isn't an underaged anime girl.

ReWinter
Nov 23, 2008

Perpetually Perturbed
I got my copy of the DS game in today, and I'm having a lot of fun with it so far. It would be totally bewildering if I wasn't a fan of the show, but, well, I am, so the references come through decently well even translated. Kid-Arino chewed me out for reading the manual before I got stuck...

The Amazon page is just showing them to be in stock, not almost out of copies anymore, but the price is still only $15, so if you're on the fence you should go for it! It really is a lot of fun.

P.S.: I shooted so many asteroids.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Wandering Knitter posted:

That's assuming Kotaku cares about something that isn't an underaged anime girl.

Seriously.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Allen Wren posted:

They might have done it early to try to squeeze the last few drops of revenue they could get out of the series. But extending the rights is such a long shot that it's just not happening; they'd have to be around $1000 for the lot of twelve for Kotaku to have a chance of making money on re-upping the license.

ReWinter posted:

I got my copy of the DS game in today, and I'm having a lot of fun with it so far. It would be totally bewildering if I wasn't a fan of the show, but, well, I am, so the references come through decently well even translated. Kid-Arino chewed me out for reading the manual before I got stuck...

The Amazon page is just showing them to be in stock, not almost out of copies anymore, but the price is still only $15, so if you're on the fence you should go for it! It really is a lot of fun.

P.S.: I shooted so many asteroids.

Don't forget that there's a whole second game out there when you finish that one. You'll need to import it but it's got more Arino for you.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

ReWinter posted:

Speaking as someone who played Retro Game Challenge before I even knew what this show was, it totally works if you have no knowledge of the show too. It's just a really great game period.

Random Stranger posted:

Don't forget that there's a whole second game out there when you finish that one. You'll need to import it but it's got more Arino for you.

How's the fan translation going for that anyway? I need to play it in English before I die.

ReWinter
Nov 23, 2008

Perpetually Perturbed

absolutely anything posted:

Speaking as someone who played Retro Game Challenge before I even knew what this show was, it totally works if you have no knowledge of the show too. It's just a really great game period.

You're absolutely right. The quality of the games in there is really high and they're a blast to play. What I meant was that the trappings of the game (a digitized Arino forcing you to play classic games) would be really confusing to someone who wasn't aware it was based on a show. But then... tons of games have strange premises, so this isn't really out of the ordinary at all I guess!

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

I totally agree, but it's like trying to get everyone in this thread to watch an episode without subtitles at this point. I've tried different ways to get people to play 2, but it didn't always happen. (This is my indirect way of saying hurry up and buy it even if the fan translation never appears.)

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
I was doing pretty good in Arino's Challenge 2 until I got to the detective game. Having to translate nearly every word kept giving me headaches. :(

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
I've beaten every game in RGC2 on my own except for the 2 Detective games. The GamFaqs page has alot of great help. I wrote 2 of the FAQS an the site. I just wish someone could scan the officail strategy guide and post it on this board. Make sure to watch the episode where he plays RGC1. The link is the first post after the OP.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

rdbbb posted:

I totally agree, but it's like trying to get everyone in this thread to watch an episode without subtitles at this point. I've tried different ways to get people to play 2, but it didn't always happen. (This is my indirect way of saying hurry up and buy it even if the fan translation never appears.)

I'm all for supporting the DS games, but, like, a lot of fans don't know poo poo about the Japanese language. Like me. I wouldn't be able to read word one.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
It might just be my honky showing but I was still thinking "Kenny Blankenship and Vic Romano" the whole time.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

redmercer posted:

It might just be my honky showing but I was still thinking "Kenny Blankenship and Vic Romano" the whole time.

Your not the only one.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Allen Wren posted:

I'm all for supporting the DS games, but, like, a lot of fans don't know poo poo about the Japanese language. Like me. I wouldn't be able to read word one.

Hence GameFAQs. Hence not every game being a visual novel.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Fluffy Tail posted:

Do you know if there's a way of seeing the Craig Charles version? I didn't care for the MXC version myself.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Clips are on youtube though you might have to wade through some European stuff to get to.

Apart from just 'Takeshi's castle UK', try 'Takeshi's castle _____'
skipping stones
bridge ball
gauntlet
avalanche
wipeout
High Rollers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ONpOa2kOeE

These should bring up clips from the Craig Charles version.

Bocc Kob posted:

I was doing pretty good in Arino's Challenge 2 until I got to the detective game. Having to translate nearly every word kept giving me headaches. :(

I managed to get through that but the language in Guardia Quest Saga has me pulling out a dictionary every few words just to discover that the word isn't even in there.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

rdbbb posted:

Hence GameFAQs. Hence not every game being a visual novel.

Hence if 'push start' isn't written in English, I'm not going to know what it says. Hence you're being kind of a dick. Hence knock it off.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Das_Ubermike posted:

Back On-Topic. I really could have gone without seeing Arino pantsless...again. Still a couple of really solid episodes back to back. Thanks SA-Team. You're the reason I paid my 10 bucks.

At least he's not sensually fondling the penis-lamp anymore. :stare:

Joshuadel
Sep 2, 2011

Drop in a token, look at a duck

rdbbb posted:

Anyone know if I'll have any luck playing this on my R1 3DS? I finally caved and ordered myself a copy, but I'm worried I may have been a bit premature in doing so. I can't seem to find any definitive information about region compatibility in regards to non-3DS or DSi titles on the system. I'm assuming that, because regular DS games weren't region-locked, my 3DS should still be able to run it, but that may be wishful thinking.

Joshuadel fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Feb 1, 2012

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

Allen Wren posted:

Hence if 'push start' isn't written in English, I'm not going to know what it says. Hence you're being kind of a dick. Hence knock it off.

Other than Guadia Quest Saga and The Chief Detective, all you really need to do is remember which menu option does what. If you've played the first one it's easy enough to pick up, because the only change I can recall is that now there's a "go to the game store" option on the menu and the rest are the same. All the other games use English/Engrish predominantly, so as long as you can piece together YOUR QUEST IS NOT YET END you'll be fine.

edit: And at the game store the only options are "play the demos", "talk to Arino", and "go home" so again, not really hard to figure out.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Corridor posted:

At least he's not sensually fondling the penis-lamp anymore. :stare:

That lamp leads to so many questions. Was it already at the office? Did someone buy it as a joke for that segment? Did someone own one and said "Hey guys, you have GOT to use my lamp for this segment!" Was it Arino?

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Joshuadel posted:

Anyone know if I'll have any luck playing this on my R1 3DS? I finally caved and ordered myself a copy, but I'm worried I may have been a bit premature in doing so. I can't seem to find any definitive information about region compatibility in regards to non-3DS or DSi titles on the system. I'm assuming that, because regular DS games weren't region-locked, my 3DS should still be able to run it, but that may be wishful thinking.

Your assumption is right; you'll be fine.

Das_Ubermike
Sep 2, 2011

www.oldmanmurray.com

That lamp leads to so many questions. Was it already at the office? Did someone buy it as a joke for that segment? Did someone own one and said "Hey guys, you have GOT to use my lamp for this segment!" Was it Arino?

I wouldn't be surprised if it was Arino's. It's a funny lamp, in a tacky sort of way. The sort of thing you'd expect to find tucked away in the corner of your grandfather's basement once you had to help clean it out after he had died.

Jimmy Colorado
Apr 16, 2010

Das_Ubermike posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if it was Arino's. It's a funny lamp, in a tacky sort of way. The sort of thing you'd expect to find tucked away in the corner of your grandfather's basement once you had to help clean it out after he had died.

I'm reminded of the Seinfeld episode, when Kramer accidentally burns down Susan's grandfather's log cabin, and all that's left was an iron box that contained her father's love-letters to another man.

Oh! I'm also reminded of this Onion article, too!

And deftly segueing from the homoeroticism hinted at above, just once I'd like someone to send in a tip to The Romance Never Ends segment, Arino gets his camera phone ready, and it's like Zangief in a hot tub with a bunch of guys. What a twist!

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Dumping back an episode or two, I wonder if there'd be sufficient goon interest to get a Bomberman tournament going? I'm sure some version could be 'persuaded' to work over the net...

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

FredMSloniker posted:

Dumping back an episode or two, I wonder if there'd be sufficient goon interest to get a Bomberman tournament going? I'm sure some version could be 'persuaded' to work over the net...

Well, there are SNES emulators with netplay, so you could use that.

The Saturn version would be hilarious, but no one is insane enough to code up a functional Saturn emulator, let alone add netplay.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Emong posted:

Well, there are SNES emulators with netplay, so you could use that.

The Saturn version would be hilarious, but no one is insane enough to code up a functional Saturn emulator, let alone add netplay.

There are several perfectly functional Saturn emulators out there these days, actually. Netplay I'm not so sure about.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Or you could... I dunno... just play the XBLA or PSN versions?

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I actually should have specified that I would like to know if any of the PSN/XBLA releases are worthwhile.

If the SNES game is still the "definitive" Bomberman, then I would be interested in the Netplay feature. Never messed with it, but if it's easy to set up, I'm down.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Primoman posted:

I actually should have specified that I would like to know if any of the PSN/XBLA releases are worthwhile.

If the SNES game is still the "definitive" Bomberman, then I would be interested in the Netplay feature. Never messed with it, but if it's easy to set up, I'm down.

10-player Saturn Bomberman is the definitive version. The XBLA/PSN has nothing on this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmaU_Ap7YaQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
Snes9x might support 3 or 4 people connecting over the internet, but it's kinda laggy. Zsnes only supports 2 connections, but you can have multiple uses per computer. Bomberman 2 for the nes supports 4 players, Virtuanes has online and supports up to 4 controllers, but I've never tried it for 4 players online at once.

There are a couple of PC-engine/Turbografx emulators out there, that's the version they used on the show, though I've no idea once again how many players these support, I've never used 'em. You can get atomic bomberman working with hamachi if you enable IPX emulation in your network settings for the hamachi 'adapter' though I've not played this and heard it's still very laggy and unplayable.

Other than Xbox or PSN, it looks like the only way to play with more than 2 people online is Kega Fusion and Mega Bomberman. Or maybe a PSone emulator. I'm not sure how many connections the GBA supports..

Just for the hell of it I sent an email to Hudson a few days ago asking them why there's no PC bomberman.. A shot in the dark I know but there's nothing to lose.