Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Well, by establishing she's dead right away, he immediately assigns himself the role of only available divine caster who can do the ritual. He could probably tell Xykon he killed her because he felt like it and to deal with it, he needs Redcloak right now.

Colon V posted:

Then again, we are talking about a series where one of the second (?) book's major climaxes is a riddle contest with a sentient runaway train, solved by a much less classy "what's in my pocket".
Not only climax, a cliffhanger between book three and four. I would call it the shittiest resolution in the history of literature but then as you were saying there's the last book.

... there's got to be a thread for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Not only climax, a cliffhanger between book three and four. I would call it the shittiest resolution in the history of literature but then as you were saying there's the last book.

What series are you talking about?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

My Lovely Horse posted:

I forgot about that- probably because I was six when Wizard and Glass came out.

maltesh posted:

What series are you talking about?
The Dark Tower series. It starts... interesting, and kind of spirals into crazy batshit land from there. Stephen King is a good storyteller, but kind of a terrible writer.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jan 31, 2012

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Colon V posted:

At the end, when the last strip is the same as the first strip, except Roy has a magic horn, it will be a good and fulfilling ending, and not at all a copout.

What, am I the only person who likes New Game+ ?

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

My Lovely Horse posted:

Well, by establishing she's dead right away, he immediately assigns himself the role of only available divine caster who can do the ritual. He could probably tell Xykon he killed her because he felt like it and to deal with it, he needs Redcloak right now.

Not just this, but he could also turn the tables on Xykon and said he killed her because he knew Xykon was trying to use her to replace him.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

Pope Guilty posted:

A short-lived character who was a parody of self-insert fantasies would likely be funny.

He's done that already... kinda.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Colon V posted:

Then again, we are talking about a series where one of the second (?) book's major climaxes is a riddle contest with a sentient runaway train, solved by a much less classy "what's in my pocket".

I really liked the scenery of the hosed up world going by them in that part though. v:shobon:v

Also the ending is much more acceptable when you remember that Stephen King thinks that hell is repetition.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

MildShow posted:

Not just this, but he could also turn the tables on Xykon and said he killed her because he knew Xykon was trying to use her to replace him.

Xykon might respect that sort of answer, but he'd still probably follow it up by killing Jirix just as a polite tit-for-tat "hey, just remember I'm the boss".

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Dolash posted:

Xykon might respect that sort of answer, but he'd still probably follow it up by killing Jirix just as a polite tit-for-tat "hey, just remember I'm the boss".

Disagree. 'Polite tit-for-tat' is about as far away from Xykon's character as it's possible to get. It's more like something Tarquin would do.

Xykon either reacts with maximum force or he just shrugs and goes "Whatever". That's his charm.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Eesh. 8 hours ago, the funding was at $260,000, now it's $1500 $500 away from the $300,000 Mystery prize!

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Eesh. 8 hours ago, the funding was at $260,000, now it's $1500 $500 away from the $300,000 Mystery prize!

$300K now. I guess all he has to do is keep adding prizes and new pledge rewards and people will keep coming back.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

And we're there :stare:. Burlew's running out of things to throw at us!

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I'm probably going to pay my bills, see if I can afford it and then throw 138dollars at him for all the books in colour.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

So, to recap, what does $10 currently buy you?

• The Roy fridge magnet
  • O'Chul story
  • Julio Scoundrél story
  • Dim Sun
  • 3x short stories about characters chosen by three large donors
  • Mystery prize #3

Did I get everything?

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

NihilCredo posted:

• The Roy fridge magnet
  • O'Chul story
  • Julio Scoundrél story
  • Dim Sun
  • Mystery prize #3

Did I get everything?

Yup. It is insane. And 138 gets you all that along with ALL THE BOOKS (except for Start of Darkness, Origins and Snips/snails)

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I'm actually surprised at how few backers there are (comparatively) - I would have expected more than 4,500 considering how much money this has made.

Right now it's averaging out to a ~$65 donation per backer.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.
Just to make sure, is there a way to get snips/snails anymore through that kickstarter? All the donations that mention it say sold out, but I don't know if that means for limited editions/signed copies or any old copy of the book.

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.

The $67 donation comes with all 3 "print-only" books, including Snip, Snails, and Dragon Tales.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

As I write this there's exactly one SS&DT left at $35 (probably someone backed out), go get it!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Really tempted to buy all the books at once, even though it would be wildly irresponsible.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Affi posted:

Yup. It is insane. And 138 gets you all that along with ALL THE BOOKS (except for Start of Darkness, Origins and Snips/snails)

Anyway to get all the books and stories including SoD, Origins, and S/S?

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Colonial Air Force posted:

Anyway to get all the books and stories including SoD, Origins, and S/S?

The $222 reward is all 7 books, if you're feeling that feisty.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.
For some reason I was under the impression that SS&DT was sold out through conventional means, but it's still in stock in Ookoodook so I'm just going to order that and cough up $10 for all the pdfs.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

NihilCredo posted:

• The Roy fridge magnet
  • O'Chul story
  • Julio Scoundrél story
  • Dim Sun
  • Mystery prize #3

Did I get everything?

Anyone who likes OotS and doesn't pledge $10 (if they have it around of course) would be a sucker. That pdf is likely to be over 100 pages of stick figure goodness. Also, who doesn't love Julio Scoundrel and O'chul the consummate rear end-kicker?

I've been re-reading the archives and I've got to say I think I am going to miss Belkar when he goes. I bet he's going to get a really sad ending as well.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I'm definitely pledging $10, but I'm going to wait until the last day or so to see if he adds any more goodies to the pot.
What I don't get is, even if I live in Mexico, will he ship the magnet free of charge? I ask because further down he asks Canadian/Mexican pledgers to add $7 for S&H.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Calaveron posted:

I'm definitely pledging $10, but I'm going to wait until the last day or so to see if he adds any more goodies to the pot.
What I don't get is, even if I live in Mexico, will he ship the magnet free of charge? I ask because further down he asks Canadian/Mexican pledgers to add $7 for S&H.

e: Yes.

Do I need to pledge more for just magnets if I live outside the US? posted:

No. The magnets will be mailed regular First Class, rather than Priority Mail, and the difference between the domestic and international rates is under a dollar. We're just eating that cost to keep things simple. One caveat, though: First Class is a lot slower than Priority Mail, so people who order a book and a magnet will get their package before people who order just a magnet—even though the magnet-only packages will probably be mailed first!

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
I am trying to convince myself not to pull all 7 books for $223.

That's only $31 each... :suicide:

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

sfwarlock posted:

I am trying to convince myself not to pull all 7 books for $223.

That's only $31 each... :suicide:

Also, shipping on each book if you were to order them individually is like $6 each, so it's probably cheaper to just binge on all 7 here than to order piecemeal.

Wait, you said you wanted HELP? None of that here, we want our Mystery Prizes #4-infinity, damnit.

Kimitsu
Jan 11, 2012

Bear with me for a moment.
Same here. I did the math and getting them all from the store, shipping not included, is around $171.

But they don't come with a spiffy Roy magnet or the other goodies...

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Vorgen posted:

Where do I have to throw my money to get PDF versions of everything Rich Burlew has ever made?
This is also what I want to know.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I think I'm going to pledge $29. I read Start of Darkness once before (friend bought it), and it absolutely blew me away, so having it myself would be great. Plus, the $10 pledge by itself would be a great purchase, so the way I see it, I'm paying $20 for a book I already wanted.

EDIT: Unfortunately, it seems my credit union's site is down for maintanance, so I can't make the transfer from saving to checking that I'd need to keep up my respectable buffer. When does the thing end?

EDIT2: Alright, made the payment promise. Now I just need to make sure not to forget.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Feb 1, 2012

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Colon V posted:

I think I'm going to pledge $29. I read Start of Darkness once before (friend bought it), and it absolutely blew me away, so having it myself would be great. Plus, the $10 pledge by itself would be a great purchase, so the way I see it, I'm paying $20 for a book I already wanted.

EDIT: Unfortunately, it seems my credit union's site is down for maintanance, so I can't make the transfer from saving to checking that I'd need to keep up my respectable buffer. When does the thing end?

February 21st. Start of Darkness is easily the best of the books, and I think anyone who enjoys OotS owes it to themselves to read it, if not own it outright.

Also, the new mystery prize has been announced!

Rich posted:

Sir Francois and the Dragon (featuring his herald, Elan!) Readers of On the Origin of PCs will know that before Elan traveled with Roy, Haley, and the others, he served as the (un)trusty herald for stalwart knight Sir Francois. When the pair find themselves in a village where young women are sacrificed to the local dragon, they are determined to put an end to the beast's depredations...and with a premise THAT clichéd, something is bound to go horribly, painfully wrong.

No more story rewards, but the next milestones are probably going to be merchandise.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Colon V posted:

You won't be charged until February 21st, so there's plenty of time to get the transfer to go through.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I already have all the books, but I put up my $10 when I just thought I was getting the O-Chul PDF. Now it's a crazy bargain.

There's practically enough free bonus material that he could make a book out of a compilation of that alone, although if he put that up as a goal to aim for, the whole thing would probably just go fractal.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Redcloak just completely lost me. I thought the whole point of having the wights completely consume Tsukiko and each other was to hide her body and cover up her murder. Is he going to lie about where he killed her, perhaps? Or is this just so that the only easy way to rezz her is to do one of those impossibly-expensive True Ressurection spells that reconstruct the body from nothing, and thus Xyklon won't bother?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Speedball posted:

Redcloak just completely lost me. I thought the whole point of having the wights completely consume Tsukiko and each other was to hide her body and cover up her murder. Is he going to lie about where he killed her, perhaps? Or is this just so that the only easy way to rezz her is to do one of those impossibly-expensive True Ressurection spells that reconstruct the body from nothing, and thus Xyklon won't bother?

quote:

This spell can even bring back creatures whose bodies have been destroyed, provided that you unambiguously identify the deceased in some fashion (reciting the deceased’s time and place of birth or death is the most common method).

I don't think Xykon could pull that one off.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
I think the purpose was just to make it impossible for either Tsukiko or any of the wights to tell Xykon what was discussed then and there.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Cabbit posted:

I don't think Xykon could pull that one off.

Wouldn't "The Mystic Theurge that I had researching an arcane ritual for me" be unambiguous in that context? There's only one of those.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Speedball posted:

I'm thinking that is exactly it....and the fact that only Redcloak can cast True Resurrection, so if Xykon says to do it he can go through the motions then shrug and say, "Sorry, spell failed."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie McCoy
Oct 22, 2005
looking for the king of 42nd St...
I thought he had them eat her because people who die to a wights touch attack come back as wights, so they ate her to prevent that from happening. Then he had the others eat themselves because he doesn't want to have to deal with a bunch of wights.