Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I've noticed Resident Evil likes to have a lot of those "fake ad" commercials for their products, such as the movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

reminds me of that RE4 one with the breast fed baby. They're pretty random aren't they?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Policenaut posted:

I've noticed Resident Evil likes to have a lot of those "fake ad" commercials for their products, such as the movies.

The ones for the movies at least make sense though, doing things like Umbrella made beauty products or tech stuff. I have no idea how yogurt is even tangentially related to Resident Evil or anything contained therein.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Right now bit into any copy of any of your Resident Evil games. What's that you taste? That's right loving yogurt. Capcom so amazing.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Right now bit into any copy of any of your Resident Evil games. What's that you taste? That's right loving yogurt. Capcom so amazing.

Unfortunately, Capcoms initiative for flavored, edible game discs as a solution to combat used game sales never caught on with the rest of the industry :(

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
So I actually got around to playing through RE5 this weekend after buying the Gold Edition for a tenner. Died so many times on the last boss because Sheva kept running across the area when he was doing the tentacles out of the ground attack and being one shotted. When I finally did it I had died 21 times and only 1 of those was actually me dying, failing the drill QTE just to see what would happen.

I really enjoyed the rest of the game though. Replaying the first couple chapters with my crazy weapons made me wonder how the gently caress I did it the first time though because I keep getting killed on easy stuff, maybe because I'm trying to rush.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jan 31, 2012

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

thebardyspoon posted:

So I actually got around to playing through RE5 this weekend after buying the Gold Edition for a tenner. Died so many times on the last boss because Sheva kept running across the area when he was doing the tentacles out of the ground attack and being one shotted. When I finally did it I had died 21 times and only 1 of those was actually me dying, failing the drill QTE just to see what would happen. I really enjoyed the rest of the game though. Replaying the first couple chapters with my crazy weapons made wonder how the gently caress I did it the first time though because I keep getting killed on easy stuff, maybe because I'm trying to rush.

What you want to do for replays is buy the unlimited ammo magnum and give it, and only it, to Sheva. then crank the difficulty up as high as it goes, and enjoy the game without having to worry about her dumb rear end.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

TheJoker138 posted:

What you want to do for replays is buy the unlimited ammo magnum and give it, and only it, to Sheva. then crank the difficulty up as high as it goes, and enjoy the game without having to worry about her dumb rear end.

Oh that sounds like heaven, how many points does it cost? Like 50000 or something I bet. Probably should have waited until I had that before I started buying the figures.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Giving Sheva an infinite ammo magnum turns her into an unstoppable angel of death.

What you really want to do now is fire up The Mercenaries Reunion and discover the joys of Barry and Josh. Although upgrading the weapons in RE5 is super satisfying, because they turn into absolute killing machines when they're maxed out.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
I just beat the remake of the original on GC with Jill. Should I bother going through it again with Chris? Does he get a different set of areas or is it basically the same. I'm either going to go straight into 2 or replay 1 again if theres a lot more content on the other side.

Does 3 have the same concept of 2 character playthroughs, or is it just Jill?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Cardboard Fox posted:

I just beat the remake of the original on GC with Jill. Should I bother going through it again with Chris? Does he get a different set of areas or is it basically the same. I'm either going to go straight into 2 or replay 1 again if theres a lot more content on the other side.

Chris is alot harder, you don't meet Barry at all or at least not as much so you have to solve alot of the problems that for Jill Barry just gets you out of. He hangs out with Rebecca alot as well which could be a good point or a bad point but is at least something new. He does have a really awesome defense weapon instead of the taser, grenades that he just shoves into opponents mouths.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Cardboard Fox posted:

Been a while since I played remake but if I remember right when you play as Chris you solve certain puzzles differently, there are times when you must control Rebecca (this was definitely true in original, not sure if this carried over to remake), Chris can't use certain weapons that Jill could, and there are different character interactions.

Resident Evil 3 does not have different character paths. You play as Jill for most of the game, but there is a brief period where you play as a different character but then it is back to Jill.

Ein Bear
Mar 26, 2010

Oh Sirrah, how deliciously absurd!
The worst part of Resi 5 solo is that bit where you have to hide from Wesker for seven minutes. loving Sheva screams "I'LL HANDLE JILL!!!" and keeps running out into the open and dying - you have to literally keep mashing the 'C'MON' button the entire time to keep her from pissing off. :argh:

As a co-op game RE5 is amazing, but the single player experience is inexcusably bad.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Cardboard Fox posted:

It's not different enough. I would move to 2. WHat did you think of it compared to RE4 and 5 now that you beat it?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Ein Bear posted:

The worst part of Resi 5 solo is that bit where you have to hide from Wesker for seven minutes. loving Sheva screams "I'LL HANDLE JILL!!!" and keeps running out into the open and dying - you have to literally keep mashing the 'C'MON' button the entire time to keep her from pissing off. :argh:

As a co-op game RE5 is amazing, but the single player experience is inexcusably bad.

I just shot Wesker with a rocket and then shot the rocket when he caught it. That made him gently caress off, then me and Sheva did wrestling moves on Jill until we broke her mind control. Definitely didn't take 7 minutes.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

The trailer for Res 6 just about blew my tiny little mind. Resident Evil 2 still holds a special spot in my mind in terms of "true" survival horror, but the ludicrously (in terms of the series) over-the-top action seen in #6 has me drooling. Seeing civilians in-game, a cover system (that hopefully won't suck), and (hopefully) more melee attacks? Count me in.

I just hope the title sees release in 2012.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Super Ninja Fish posted:

It's not different enough. I would move to 2. WHat did you think of it compared to RE4 and 5 now that you beat it?

To be honest, I really enjoyed the survival aspect - limited ammunition, creepy mansion, puzzles that could kill you and the sense of isolation. 4 was a great game, but I never felt that I had to survive and I never had to really pick battles since I knew ammunition was never an issue. 5 moved even more away from the survival aspect than before. It feels like a slowed down version of Gears of War.

Not that 4 or 5 are bad games. I enjoyed the hell out of both, but playing the originals again really makes me miss how Resident Evil used to be. The feeling of isolation and sometimes true helplessness really adds to the mood of the early games.

[edit]
One other thing I would like to mention as a negative in the original is all the backtracking. A lot of my time was spent going back to rooms that I forgot to unlock or going to the 3 safety rooms in the mansion to save. I liked the limited inventory system because I felt it added to some depth to what items you could carry, but I didn't like having to go all the way back to a safety box just so I could grab these 2 gems or this crank to move on the the next area. Someone that has played the game before would know which items to have at which time, but as someone new it felt like I was guessing most of the time.

Cardboard Fox fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jan 31, 2012

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Cardboard Fox posted:

To be honest, I really enjoyed the survival aspect - limited ammunition, creepy mansion, puzzles that could kill you and the sense of isolation. 4 was a great game, but I never felt that I had to survive and I never had to really pick battles since I knew ammunition was never an issue. 5 moved even more away from the survival aspect than before. It feels like a slowed down version of Gears of War.

Not that 4 or 5 are bad games. I enjoyed the hell out of both, but playing the originals again really makes me miss how Resident Evil used to be. The feeling of isolation and sometimes true helplessness really adds to the mood of the early games.

Yeah the survival part of survival horror was done really well in the first two Resident Evil games. Even Silent Hill never really had that part down, the first three Silent Hill games let you carry as much stuff as you wanted and they practically poo poo health items and ammo on you. Silent Hill 4 tried the limited inventory system and making you store items in your apartment but that game had other problems that brought it down anyway.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Cardboard Fox posted:

[edit]
One other thing I would like to mention as a negative in the original is all the backtracking. A lot of my time was spent going back to rooms that I forgot to unlock or going to the 3 safety rooms in the mansion to save. I liked the limited inventory system because I felt it added to some depth to what items you could carry, but I didn't like having to go all the way back to a safety box just so I could grab these 2 gems or this crank to move on the the next area. Someone that has played the game before would know which items to have at which time, but as someone new it felt like I was guessing most of the time.

Dont play Resident Evil Zero. The inventory poo poo is probably the worst part about that game.

In fact, if they were to actually get rid of that stupid inventory system in it and added the storage boxes back in, I would probably play it again/a lot more.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Bring back the item boxes, take out the stupid 2 weapon slot poo poo and take out the hookshot.

Resident Evil 0 is now playable.

SusanosWrath
Jan 3, 2012

This Unit Will Self-Destruct Upon Termination of Target
How long has Ian Sider been dead? And how did I not notice?

SusanosWrath fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Feb 1, 2012

SusanosWrath
Jan 3, 2012

This Unit Will Self-Destruct Upon Termination of Target

Cardboard Fox posted:

Since February is looking rather thin for games I may as well get back into the Resident Evil series. I've always wanted to play through all the good games, but only managed to beat 4 and 5. I have most of them lying around somewhere, but I wanted to ask you guys what order I should play them in. I'm thinking:

1. Resident Evil remake
2. Resident Evil 2
3. Resident Evil 3: Nemesis
4. Resident Evil 4
5. Resident Evil 5

Where does Code Veronica and 0 come in? Are there any others that I don't know about that are worth playing? And are there any remakes on 2 and 3 I'm not aware about? It's going to be a little weird going from the GC version of 1 to the PSX versions of 2 and 3.
0 comes first and Code Veronica goes along side 3. Fun fact: Code Veronica is the real sequel to RE2 but due to an exclusivity contract with Sony, they couldn't bring the major RE titles to any other system. So they made Nemesis the RE3 for Sony so they could make the true sequel on Dreamcast.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Alteisen posted:

Bring back the item boxes, take out the stupid 2 weapon slot poo poo and take out the hookshot.

Resident Evil 0 is now playable.

Hookshot is fine once you get rid of the other 2 problems.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
Replaying RE5, and I heard a pretty random conversation between Chris and Sheva after waiting around Chapter 1-1 for 10 minutes. (It's the first one in that video.)

Guess Chris isn't a fan of CAPITALISM, huh? Speaking of which, if the game had more dialogue like that in the beginning I'd love it.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Ein Bear posted:

A few possible frustrating moments does not make it "inexcusably bad". Most games have their fair share of those. I managed to enjoy it, honestly I don't quite understand the theatrics on this forum about the single player mode, I suppose I didn't play it on the hardest difficulty though.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

The Wesker/Jill fight on Professional is mindblowingly awful, Sheva just constantly dies.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

:siren: Resident Evil 6 demo news :siren:

If you buy Dragon's Dogma, you get it first on July 3rd. Everyone else gets it in September.

I was already considering buying DD, since it sounds like a not-as-soul-crushingly-brutal Dark Souls, so I guess this seals it.

timeandtide fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Feb 1, 2012

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.

Policenaut posted:

The Wesker/Jill fight on Professional is mindblowingly awful, Sheva just constantly dies.

You pretty much need to spam the follow button to keep her by your side if you're playing with the AI. Absolutely ruins that fight. You need to do the same thing on the next Wesker fight.

I also had a really tough time fighting that giant on the turret. :saddowns:

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Schlegel Mach posted:

Sheva :saddowns:

It took me longer than expected to keep from giving her any healing items. I'd stub my toe, and she'd be all "HOLY SH*T CHRIS LEMME GIVE YOU THAT RED/GREEN HERB COMBO FIX YOU RIGHT UP." Playing with a buddy is the only way to go, IMHO.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

timeandtide posted:

Guess Chris isn't a fan of CAPITALISM, huh? Speaking of which, if the game had more dialogue like that in the beginning I'd love it.

I guess he really is a REDfield.

I saw a trailer for Operation Raccoon City that had two distinct squads, the Umbrella one, and what looked like either the RCPD or a ragtag bunch of survivors, do we know if they will both feature in the campaign, or if it's just a versus thing, or even if it was just for the trailer?

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

Tiggy Sawdust posted:

I guess he really is a REDfield.

I saw a trailer for Operation Raccoon City that had two distinct squads, the Umbrella one, and what looked like either the RCPD or a ragtag bunch of survivors, do we know if they will both feature in the campaign, or if it's just a versus thing, or even if it was just for the trailer?

You apparently fight them in some multiplayer mode and they probably pop up in campaign as the "bad guys." There's a DLC coming out where you play as them, and based on the fact that it comes with 20 achievements it should be pretty sizable.

Edit: They're guys from the US military, too, but I think they probably team up with some survivors.

Edit 2: I hope if the game does well they release a "heroes" campaign where you play as Leon, Jill, etc. Hell, remake RE2 or 3 in this game's engine. It's not like they're particularly long games, especially if you cut out puzzles or just do really simple ones.

timeandtide fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Feb 1, 2012

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This is Dragon's Dogma, by the way, and these are gameplay snippets if anyone wants to see what game you buy to get the RE6 beta.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foHapGAlK30

A new characters trailer for RE:ORC. It also briefly gives us the names of the Spec Ops characters (Echo Six) although I think we heard them already from elsewhere.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:
With an original name like Party Girl you just know that is the go to character for the 12 year olds.

I really want to try out Four eyes, and Bertha, though Vector and Beltway look pretty drat fun to toy around with.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
This game could land anywhere between loving terrible and really good.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Like some other people are doing here, I've started replaying the series, starting with the REmake, and working my way up. The REmake and RE2 are still fantastic and I had a ton of fun playing them again for the first time in years (though the latter is really easy). Playing them back to back makes me yearn to see RE2 redone in the classic style. But...

I'm about fifteen minutes into RE3, and I'm reminded of why it's my least favorite in the numbered series. There's just so many little things that annoy the gently caress out of me. Key items always impact your inventory (so long being able to count on a lockpick or lighter, you have to sacrifice a loving slot for poo poo you need no matter what), the dodge system is so crappy and I'm getting really tired of aiming at dogs only to have one jump right as I'm able to shoot and Jill just jumps to the side and out of a decent position and gets loving surrounded you stupid rear end in a top hat I just wanted you to shoot I'm just holding down R1 to aim I didn't even press anything else arrrrgh

Having to make your own ammo just feels loving tedious and the reloading tool is just another thing either taking up an inventory space or sitting back in an item box waiting for the game to spring some gun powder on you to force you back to a safe room eventually to make some bullets or shells or whatever the gently caress. I like that they tried some things different, but by the end of the day, gently caress just give me some plain ammo god drat it.

I really hope this game starts to get better, but the more I play it the more I just want to move on to Code Veronica which I have far better memories of.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

I pull down the curtain, wantin to do me some dirtin aint nuthin better then jerkin my gerkin so I start with some flirtin

But my magic find aint working so I can't do no spurtin its got Wirt's feelins all hurtin, and his wooden leg stops all perking
For whatever reason, I always considered CV more of a "real" RE3 than Nemesis. I didn't play Nemesis until much later, and I didn't like it at all.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Can you get the older games on Xbox 360?

I have RE5 and enjoyed that enough to want to play the older ones, but I can't seem to find most of them. I have a wii too but the controls on the wii are just terrible in general and I've only played Xbox since last summer so :effort:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

So Capcom of Japan dated ORC over there, it's coming in April. Something I noticed though.

Japan gets a (slightly) less stupid cover.

Fraction posted:

Can you get the older games on Xbox 360?

I have RE5 and enjoyed that enough to want to play the older ones, but I can't seem to find most of them. I have a wii too but the controls on the wii are just terrible in general and I've only played Xbox since last summer so :effort:

On 360? Nope. The Wii has access to most of the franchise though, thanks to the GameCube support.

You can get Zero and REmake (1) on Wii itself and RE2, 3, and CVX on GameCube. You can play the Wii ones with a Classic Controller I think and the GameCube ones with a GameCube controller if you don't like the Wiimote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

timeandtide posted:

Replaying RE5, and I heard a pretty random conversation between Chris and Sheva after waiting around Chapter 1-1 for 10 minutes. (It's the first one in that video.)

Chris and Sheva talk a lot more if you play solo, and these little dialogues change depending on which of the two you're controlling. If you play as Sheva, Chris gets a few good one-liners.