Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
toenut
Apr 11, 2003

fourth and nine

Toad on a Hat posted:

Thursday night league. You in Wednesday?

I'm in the Tuesday Twisters league. We should try and get a summer league team going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
I'm down with that :) I usually do no tap in the summer because I'm cheap (and want pizza) but I'd be down for joining a league too.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

mattfl posted:

Alright this took forever to edit in iMovie, on my freaking phone so you guys better watch it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bPjt0L3g9o

This is my 219, 4th game of the day, 8th game in 2 days. I was kinda tired at this point and I somehow deleted one of my strikes in the 10th, but, there I am.

Critique, comments, should I just give up now? :)

I'm using like I said an Ebonite Evolve and it is a 15pound ball I weighted it the other day.

Also, it takes less than 5 minutes to bowl a complete game, lol.

Ok, couple things I'm noticing. And before I go all super critical you actually look not that bad and a couple fixes will get you a lot more consistent.

1. As said before, get comfortable with the fit of your thumb hole. You want to be able to relax your hand and have a snug fit in the thumb hole. If you're using a shitload of tape (more than five pieces) get a slug put in to tighten the thumb hole if needed. This will loosen up your swing. Thumb hole.

2. See how you step to the right after every shot? Your balance is way off. This is a timing issue. You mentioned bringing the ball back in the middle of your third step, this seems a little late to me. If you're using a four step approach you should be pushing the ball forward in unison with your first step. Pretend your ball hand is attached to your right foot with a string, they should move in unison. This will get your timing on track and you will be much more balanced at the line. In the best case you should be able to hold your release pose until the ball passes the reflection of the bottom of the masking unit on the lane. That's about 40 feet down or so. Don't worry about the length of your backswing, it's different for everyone. It might get a little longer but go with what feels right.

3. Your miss is always to the left. This is because your elbow flares out to the right and you can't get back into a leverage position. A good thought is to keep your elbow behind the ball throughout the swing. This will keep your hand to the inside of the ball, giving you more accuracy, a few more revs and a lot more consistency.

That may seem like a bunch of poo poo, but you do seem to have a decent base and more practice with a couple of tweaks will get you going nicely.

As for my poo poo, I bowled on Turnpike tonight. gently caress that pattern. I shot 199-193 my middle two and those were the highest games in the league tonight. I'd rather be loving waterboarded.

Critical fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jan 21, 2012

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Critical posted:

Ok, couple things I'm noticing. And before I go all super critical you actually look not that bad and a couple fixes will get you a lot more consistent.

1. As said before, get comfortable with the fit of your thumb hole. You want to be able to relax your hand and have a snug fit in the thumb hole. If you're using a shitload of tape (more than five pieces) get a slug put in to tighten the thumb hole if needed. This will loosen up your swing. Thumb hole.

2. See how you step to the right after every shot? Your balance is way off. This is a timing issue. You mentioned bringing the ball back in the middle of your third step, this seems a little late to me. If you're using a four step approach you should be pushing the ball forward in unison with your first step. Pretend your ball hand is attached to your right foot with a string, they should move in unison. This will get your timing on track and you will be much more balanced at the line. In the best case you should be able to hold your release pose until the ball passes the reflection of the bottom of the masking unit on the lane. That's about 40 feet down or so. Don't worry about the length of your backswing, it's different for everyone. It might get a little longer but go with what feels right.

3. Your miss is always to the left. This is because your elbow flares out to the right and you can't get back into a leverage position. A good thought is to keep your elbow behind the ball throughout the swing. This will keep your hand to the inside of the ball, giving you more accuracy, a few more revs and a lot more consistency.

That may seem like a bunch of poo poo, but you do seem to have a decent base and more practice with a couple of tweaks will get you going nicely.

As for my poo poo, I bowled on Turnpike tonight. gently caress that pattern. I shot 199-193 my middle two and those were the highest games in the league tonight. I'd rather be loving waterboarded.

Thanks for all the advise! I will definitely be trying all those things today. I think my base comes from bowling since I was about 5. My dad has been bowling for 25+ years and always had me and my brother in leagues when we were kids, I wish I would've kept with it through high school.

All those things seem pretty straight forward to fix, hoping to join some leagues this spring with him so thanks again for the advise!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

You guys like video right? Cuz here's some more!

Ok so I went to a different alley this morning because the one I went to yesterday was booked with leagues until 9:30 tonight! The other ones only 10 mins away so no biggie.

Here you can watch me throw 4 in a row.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkMHJxuD6Tw

I can see a noticeable difference in everything I did today, and the results were much improved from yesterday. Scores constantly above 190 every game.

Things I did/concentrated on today.

1) Having a smoother ball motion. I forced myself so that when I made my first step with my right foot I pushed the ball out and started my back swing a lot earlier than I was.
Result - Smoother and bigger backswing, increased ball speed. I've been in the 14-16mph range, today I was 18-20mph. This allowed kept me on balance for just about all my shots. I wasn't falling off to the right immediately after releasing the ball today.

2) Starting farther back on the approach. I was starting on the dots closest to the pins, today I tried starting farther back.
Result - Smoother approach, this seemed to give me more time to get a nice pendulum back swing going, increasing the speed and allowing me to better hit my target.

3) Keeping my elbow behind the ball.
Result - Ability to hit my targets better. The lanes were completely different at this alley, my ball wasn't moving nearly as much as it was yesterday, my first game I had 0 opens, but I couldn't find the pocket for poo poo. But just keeping my elbow behind the ball, I was able to hit my targets to pickup all my spares.

4) Finding the right fit for my thumb hole. Went to 2 pieces of tape and my grip felt even better and I have very little pain in my hand/wrist/arm area today.

Now, the only thing I had a problem with today, and I'm not sure if it's because of the 13 games in 3 days. But my slide leg, my whole quad was in pretty bad pain after the 4th game and for about 30 minutes after I was done bowling. I'm not sure if it's because I've suddenly put all this extra stress on it, or what, but that poo poo sucks man.

Anyways, I'm gonna rest for a day or two, and probably go at lunch sometime next week for some more practice. It's nice to go and make changes and see results right away though. Thanks again for everyone's advise!

buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin
As for the whole balance thing, one thing I do (and a lot of the pros) is I intentionally walk from right to left. Not a lot, just 5 boards or so. This puts the momentum of your body towards your posting leg instead of away from it, making you less likely to fall off to the right. Some coaches will tell you to step into your shot, meaning to take your last step to the right. I suppose it's a personal preference thing. Just something to think about or try next time you bowl. All I know is that 5 or so years ago I went to a 5 step approach and started walking right to left and it made a huge difference in my bowling.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

buffto posted:

As for the whole balance thing, one thing I do (and a lot of the pros) is I intentionally walk from right to left. Not a lot, just 5 boards or so. This puts the momentum of your body towards your posting leg instead of away from it, making you less likely to fall off to the right. Some coaches will tell you to step into your shot, meaning to take your last step to the right. I suppose it's a personal preference thing. Just something to think about or try next time you bowl. All I know is that 5 or so years ago I went to a 5 step approach and started walking right to left and it made a huge difference in my bowling.

You know, I used to do that, and didn't seem to have the balance issue. I don't know when I stopped doing it, but, I'm going have to try that. The g/f wants to go tomorrow, so, I'll give it a shot I guess. Will be going to another alley tomorrow, I think there's 4 alleys within 20-25 mins of me.

buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin

mattfl posted:

I think there's 4 alleys within 20-25 mins of me.

Lucky. I have one in my town and then 3 others 30-40 min away. Mid Missouri isn't exactly the epicenter of bowling.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

buffto posted:

Lucky. I have one in my town and then 3 others 30-40 min away. Mid Missouri isn't exactly the epicenter of bowling.

There used to be one like 10 minutes from me, on the river, but they tore it down like 4 years ago to build condos. :(

The condos were never built and now there's a big empty spot. :(

buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin
There was a second one in Columbia, MO. However, back in August 04, some dude paid a bunch of money for it and tore out all of the lanes. Since then he has done dick with the building. Building is still there and has had nothing in it for 7 years.

PendingForaBending
Dec 30, 2005

How Bout Them Cowboys.
That sucks that there is such a lack of bowling around you guys. How un-american. :911:

Started bowling last night after about a month off and shot my lifetime high series. 257, 254, 236 for 747 total. 1st and 3rd game came down to about 10 pins for total too so I needed every bit of it for the points sweep last night.

Lets keep up the good bowling guys...for America. :)

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

So I have a problem, I just ordered a sweet 2 ball roller bag from bowlingball.com (which is based out of my town, hello 2nd day shipping for free!) and yet I only have one ball. So I'm pretty sure I need to order a new ball. So here is where you guys recommend me something!

flacoman954
Nov 9, 2009
Punch up a spare ball for corner pins .. Cheap investment and will raise your average quicker .

PendingForaBending
Dec 30, 2005

How Bout Them Cowboys.
It depends on what you already have. Its good to have a change of pace ball for sure. But like the above poster said, a good spare ball goes a long way and is generally dirt cheap.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

PendingForaBending posted:

It depends on what you already have. Its good to have a change of pace ball for sure. But like the above poster said, a good spare ball goes a long way and is generally dirt cheap.

Right now I have an 15 pound Ebonite Evolve. I would like something a little different, or change of pace as you say.

I know the Storm Nano series of balls are highly rated as are the DV8 Hell Raiser balls.

So many dam choices, wish there was a way to test out these balls before I buy one, kinda like you can hit golf clubs before you buy.

flacoman954
Nov 9, 2009
DV8 gear looks to be awesome , Brunswick coverstock IIRC

toenut
Apr 11, 2003

fourth and nine
580 series last night with the new Epidemic. I'm really liking this ball so far.

buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin

mattfl posted:

So many dam choices, wish there was a way to test out these balls before I buy one, kinda like you can hit golf clubs before you buy.

Actually, there is. Many companies have what they call a "Demo Day." They bring all of their latest balls with various, but generalized drillings with interchangeable thumb slugs and finger grips. You can get them very close to your hand size and try them out usually for about the price of the lineage.

Here is Storm's event calendar. Look for ones labeled "open house" and click the link to get info on where it is. The ones that also say it is a seminar usually means you have to be a pro shop representative to attend.

http://stormbowling.com/news/events

And here we have Ebonite's demo days calendar. Keep in mind that this also includes Columbia 300, Hammer, and Track since they are all owned by Ebonite.

http://eboniteinternational.com/news-events/demo-days

Brunswick runs some as well I do believe. I just couldn't readily find info on it. They suck anyway.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Shot a 223, 232 and for some reason decided to shoot a 170 my last game. The lanes were completely schizophrenic last night. They seemed to have three personalities.

I somehow won that 170 game though. I was stuck at a 150 on an open in the 9th, and my opponent was at 147 with a spare on the 9th. All he needed is a strike to beat me, and wouldn't you know, he leaves a 4-6-7. He was furious and I was gobsmacked, I'll tell you that! He ended up with a 161 and I just barely beat him.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Went today at lunch and concentrated more on not falling off the shot and hitting my spot better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dewL40GSLjE

Slowly but surely I can see improvement in my overall form

Groveling Toast
Jun 2, 2008

When it comes to getting a new ball, should I buy it online and take it to be drilled, get fitted at a shop and let the place I order it from drill it, or buy it at a shop and let them drill it? I'm gonna call around and get prices tomorrow, but I can't imagine pro shops selling the ball for internet prices.

Why is it so hard to buy a ball :mad:

I'm thinking DV8 Hellraiser if it matters.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
Pro shops don't sell at internet prices, but if you buy on the internet it's going to cost you anywhere from $50 to $100 to drill it at the shop. So keep that in mind while you're pricing things out.

I prefer buying from shops because I can guarantee I'm not getting a funky pin placement or anything like that.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Devo posted:

$50 to $100 to drill

Wow. I live in a pretty big bowling town and the guy I go to charges $40. I have never seen $100 anywhere close to me ever. Its usually always cheaper to buy online and go in with the ball. I've never experienced anything with funky pin placement either, just make sure you go to someone well recommended for your area I guess. But maybe this is because the city I bowl in is a pretty big bowling area and the people who drill know what they are doing.

e: But of course, check prices with local shops first.

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Feb 1, 2012

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Devo posted:

Pro shops don't sell at internet prices, but if you buy on the internet it's going to cost you anywhere from $50 to $100 to drill it at the shop. So keep that in mind while you're pricing things out.

I prefer buying from shops because I can guarantee I'm not getting a funky pin placement or anything like that.

I was in my local pro shop yesterday asking the same thing. I too want a DV8 Hellraiser or a Storm Nano. He said he really can't compete with online stores at all, but he said by the time I order it and bring it in for drilling vs him ordering it and drilling it I would only be saving $10-20, so, there's that. However, one of the other pro shops in town is owned by bowlingball.com. I'm going to go check them out today or tomorrow and see if they match their online price and what it would be to get it from them.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

The Hellraiser and Nano are both a whole lotta ball. I'm personally not comfortable throwing that much ball on most typical house conditions but ultimately it's up to you to see what you like to do. I put way more revs on the ball than most people but I can't get my speed up to where I could in my younger days so YMMV

buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin
I don't know about mattfl's house, but at mine the house shot is really thick because everyone gets the strongest stuff and then bitches about there not being enough oil. Therefore everyone who doesn't have top end equipment (or a lot of hand) is struggling to get the ball to wrinkle. And then it just keeps escalating...

By the way, mattfl. Your approach looks a lot better.

flacoman954
Nov 9, 2009
630 last night , but only two opens . Was able to mark and strike on the 10th frame and got them won by 2 and 6 pins . On to the third quarter!

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Ugh third straight 570 series and I just couldn't get anything going. Rest of the team is bowling like poo poo too; only took 9 points. We've got a date with the first place team next week so if we want to get this ball rolling again we need a good week. About 35 points out of first right now and I'd like cut that down by about 12 or 13 if we can.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
216 - 192 - 206.

And we still split the 4 points for 2 a piece :\

PendingForaBending
Dec 30, 2005

How Bout Them Cowboys.
Shot 541 on Monday night coming off my career high series. Kinda figured that would happen. Funny thing is that my friend got a new ball and wanted to practice with it a bit after league. Shot 680 right after league. :downsgun:

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

buffto posted:

I don't know about mattfl's house, but at mine the house shot is really thick because everyone gets the strongest stuff and then bitches about there not being enough oil. Therefore everyone who doesn't have top end equipment (or a lot of hand) is struggling to get the ball to wrinkle. And then it just keeps escalating...

This sounds like where I play. On non-league nights, the lanes are what i would consider medium oil. 2 hours before the league play, they flood them, because all the top teams on the league crank the hell out of the ball, and can't play if the lanes are the slightest bit dry. It's pretty frustrating to go from an average of about a 550-580 series, to barely a 350 series on league night.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

That's why you become an addict like me and own 5 or 6 balls. And bring some Abralon pads. Going 500-1000-2000 on a Nano before putting it on the lane will make it move through anything and as a bonus soak up all the oil so the crankers can't use it.

I'm punching a Too Reckless from DV8 when I finally get my tax check and might be grabbing a lesson as well. My axis is getting increasingly more vertical for some reason and I can't seem to fix it. Witching my ball spinning like a top does not inspire confidence and I've been bowling like garbage.

Edit: My bloated arsenal as of next week. From weakest to strongest. Everything is 15lb.

TZone - Spares. Duh.

Ebonite Cyclone - Drilled negative (pin is almost under my index finger) for really torched lanes. Very situational.

Victory Road - First out of the bag. Breaks late and hits like a truck.

Too Reckless - Probably going to take the place of my Nano in a more consistent rotation. Going to have it break about the same as the VR but with about 5-7 boards more hook if needed.

Nano - Getting it ovened and resurfaced when I punch the Too Reckless. For flooded conditions. It would be awesome for what I'm bowling on now but it's soaked up so much oil I can't do that much with it.

I'm probably going to pick up something between the Cyclone and VR (possibly a DV8 Misfit) and I'll be set for any condition I have to bowl on. And I won't have to buy anything for a year.

Obviously if you bowl on house every week this is kind of overkill. But you would be surprised how much I wish I had a different piece when bowling on 6 different sport patterns a year.

Critical fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Feb 3, 2012

buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin
Was given a couple of balls today. Got a Storm Prodigy and a Storm 2Fast. Shot 278-268-247 for a 793 series with the 2Fast. Not bad for the first series on the ball. The guy who gave them to me has pretty much the same span, so I just replaced the grips and thumb slug and I was good to go. That ball is going to be great when the lanes get toasted.

Edit: Hah, I just got around to watching the 2012 Masters finals. Chris Barnes is such a choke-artist bitch. Funny how that smarmy motherfuck went from :smug: to :smith: in 2 frames flat.

buffto fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Feb 3, 2012

toenut
Apr 11, 2003

fourth and nine
Hey Toah, I meant to say hi to you tonight, but you disappeared after that one guy bowled a 300. I was taking advantage of the unlimited bowling for $10 tonight and then ripped a huge blister on my thumb. Went 150ish-208-210ish before destroying my thumb. If I keep bowling multiple times a week, I might need to keep some super glue in my bag.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Going to the local pro shop today that's owned by bowlingball.com to pick out a new ball. Probably from the DV8 or Storm line. Hopefully they won't be busy and can maybe drill it today.

flacoman954
Nov 9, 2009
Critical : did you give the Nano the hot water & dish soap treatment ??

PendingForaBending
Dec 30, 2005

How Bout Them Cowboys.

buffto posted:

Was given a couple of balls today. Got a Storm Prodigy and a Storm 2Fast. Shot 278-268-247 for a 793 series with the 2Fast. Not bad for the first series on the ball. The guy who gave them to me has pretty much the same span, so I just replaced the grips and thumb slug and I was good to go. That ball is going to be great when the lanes get toasted.

Edit: Hah, I just got around to watching the 2012 Masters finals. Chris Barnes is such a choke-artist bitch. Funny how that smarmy motherfuck went from :smug: to :smith: in 2 frames flat.

Good series man. I wish I would have seen the Barnes thing, that rules.

Ha, heres the whole thing. Skip to about 14:00.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkQhSjfTP6s

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Yay new ball!

So went up there and picked up the Storm Frantic. Loving it so far! The pro shop guy really knows what he's doing too. When he was measuring my span he took a look at my old ball and noticed right away the span wasn't right. Said it was way to small and that's why I was having issues with the ball. Drilled up the Frantic right and 20 minutes later I was using it.

Wow what a difference the correct span makes! He also came down and watched me bowl for a bit and was giving me some very very good pointers which helped immensely. Told me to slow way down in my approach and to cut the ball out of my hand a little later in my release. Immediate improvement when I did those things. Also, this ball hooks pretty dam hard. He watched me a few times and then mentioned the lanes were completely soaked in oil, the only line I was getting good results with was putting it inbetween the 1st and 2nd arrow and letting it come in from there. When I hit that spot, the ball hit hard and destroyed the pins. A few times I put it out to far, almost along the 1 and 2 boards and it still came back right in. Can't wait to try this ball out on properly oiled lanes.

I've got some video I'll post up in a bit of a few shots. All in all, I paid $149 for the ball and drilling and the awesome advise he was able to give me it was definitely worth it. This alley is doing a demo day in March and recommended I come to it to throw some higher end balls that really hook as he sees my next purchase sometime down the road to be one of these balls. $20 and most of the manufactures will have their balls there. If you buy a ball you get $20 off, if not you get a $15 gift cert for the pro shop. So basically it's gonna cost $5 to bowl for a few hours with some of the nicer balls out there.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

toenut posted:

Hey Toah, I meant to say hi to you tonight, but you disappeared after that one guy bowled a 300. I was taking advantage of the unlimited bowling for $10 tonight and then ripped a huge blister on my thumb. Went 150ish-208-210ish before destroying my thumb. If I keep bowling multiple times a week, I might need to keep some super glue in my bag.

Well poo poo, I didn't even see you there! Sorry about that. :shobon:

Yeah, luckily he was playing against the guy I'm tied with in points, so we're still tied. On to another week!

I shot sorta terrible this week - 180, 247, 202. It was all over the place, only won 1/3. Nice job on your games though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

flacoman954 posted:

Critical : did you give the Nano the hot water & dish soap treatment ??

Multiple times. It gives it a few boards more hook but nothing major. They say to give it a rejuv about 200 games in or so, and I know I'm getting close to that, so it will be worth the money. Solids are really rough to keep in shape these days.

• Locked thread