Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
How do I remove an Add-On that is incompatible with the current version of Firefox? I have a Skype addon for some dumbshit reason, but because it's not compatible with 9.0, I don't have any options to activate/deactivate/uninstall or anything. I just want it gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

The Dark One posted:

I saw a couple articles mention that in 10.0, the forward button only shows up when you hit back. I just updated, and my forward button is there regardless of where I am in the history of that tab. :raise:

Do you have any buttons between the 'forward' button and the location bar? If so, it'll stay around.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

astral posted:

Do you have any buttons between the 'forward' button and the location bar? If so, it'll stay around.

Nope, this is what it looks like on my end:

e: disabling SALR doesn't change anything.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Move that reload button out of the way.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

YggiDee posted:

How do I remove an Add-On that is incompatible with the current version of Firefox? I have a Skype addon for some dumbshit reason, but because it's not compatible with 9.0, I don't have any options to activate/deactivate/uninstall or anything. I just want it gone.

Can you uninstall it if you launch FF with admin rights? Also, I seem to remember that you can uninstall the Skype addon through the control panel's add/remove programs.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

YggiDee posted:

Move that reload button out of the way.

Alright, I'm an idiot. My brain ignored the words location bar because I always call it the address bar. Looks pretty, but I'm not giving up on my reload button or moving it to the left.

Gherkin Jerkin
Jan 22, 2006

With great power, comes great crunchability...

Alereon posted:

The first Firefox Extended Support Release, based on Firefox 10, is now available. This is for businesses that don't want frequent Firefox major version updates.

So wait. Mozilla isn't even going to include a MSI wrapper? I mean it's simple enough to make one, but I figured they would try to at least make Firefox easier to deploy.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

"The Dark One" posted:

I saw a couple articles mention that in 10.0, the forward button only shows up when you hit back. I just updated, and my forward button is there regardless of where I am in the history of that tab. :raise:

The conditional forward button only exists if you are using large icons, with no other button between the back button and the URL bar. Not sure if it works with third party themes.

Bah, resoundly beaten.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Feb 1, 2012

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"

Gherkin Jerkin posted:

So wait. Mozilla isn't even going to include a MSI wrapper? I mean it's simple enough to make one, but I figured they would try to at least make Firefox easier to deploy.

You could try these:
http://www.frontmotion.com/Firefox/
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=138033

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
efb

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
What's the status with 64bit?
Is there an official, stable, 64bit build of Firefox yet?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Fangs404 posted:

Can you uninstall it if you launch FF with admin rights? Also, I seem to remember that you can uninstall the Skype addon through the control panel's add/remove programs.

Thanks! I used the add/remove programs option and it's gone now.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

The Merkinman posted:

Unless it's recently changed, no. I think there are 64 bit nightlies, and the third party builds like Waterfox.

Oblivion590
Nov 23, 2010

The Merkinman posted:

There are official 64-bit nightly builds at http://nightly.mozilla.org, but there are no guarantees of stability. I've been running the nightly releases for the past several months with no particular issues of note, but there are no guarantees.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Which release was supposed to be the one where it gets fast?

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
That would be Firefox 4. Although Firefox 9 also had some pretty good javascript performance improvements. And there are some pretty good garbage collection improvements that should be coming in Firefox 12 that will substantially reduce pauses for a lot of people.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Zhentar posted:

That would be Firefox 4. Although Firefox 9 also had some pretty good javascript performance improvements. And there are some pretty good garbage collection improvements that should be coming in Firefox 12 that will substantially reduce pauses for a lot of people.

I'd rather use Firefox than Chrome but Chrome still 'feels' about 50% faster at loading pages at this point.

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"

TOOT BOOT posted:

I'd rather use Firefox than Chrome but Chrome still 'feels' about 50% faster at loading pages at this point.

The only things keeping me from adopting Chrome is my extensions (yeah, I know, it's tough on anyone that's a FF power user) and it just doesn't seem to "behave" well, like I would like it to :|

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Edit: wrong thread

Pooperscooper
Jul 22, 2007
God drat, firefox updates way too often it kills work places.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Pooperscooper posted:

The constant updates won't be an issue come FF 12 when they implement silent updating (like Chrome).

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe

The Dark One posted:

I had the same problem and just fixed it right now.

Right click on empty space at the top, select "Customize...", do nothing and select Done. The forward button should go away after that.

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"

Pooperscooper posted:

Are you using extensions? I find the updates annoying for that reason, mostly

If that's the case, look for an extension called "Add-on Compatibility Reporter"

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Dice Dice Baby posted:

Are you using extensions? I find the updates annoying for that reason, mostly

If that's the case, look for an extension called "Add-on Compatibility Reporter"
They actually fixed that, extensions now default to compatible with new versions unless something actually changed to break them. The ACR extension just reports stats now, since there's no need to change compatibility settings.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Fangs404 posted:

The constant updates won't be an issue come FF 12 when they implement silent updating (like Chrome).

Will the "silent" updates mean Firefox will install to the local user's profile like Chrome?

Issuing a thousands updates won't mean anything if Firefox is still installed to a system location.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Xenomorph posted:

Will the "silent" updates mean Firefox will install to the local user's profile like Chrome?

Issuing a thousands updates won't mean anything if Firefox is still installed to a system location.

I thought that was how they were gonna do it, but this wiki post describes exactly how they're doing it. Basically, they're using an on-demand service to bypass the UAC dialog. It worries me that this is even possible in the first place - what's the point of UAC if a service can bypass it? I guess I need to read more into how they're doing this.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

You'll get a UAC dialog the first time the privileged service is installed. Like Steam.

Chrome's user profile installs is basically a way to give people stuck with IE6 in the enterprise a way to install Chrome without administrator privileges.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

pseudorandom name posted:

You'll get a UAC dialog the first time the privileged service is installed.

Like Steam.

Ok, so basically, it's basically saying, "You've already given this guy elevated privileges once, so we'll remember this and always give it elevated privileges." Is that correct?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Not really, but close enough.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Not really, but close enough.

How exactly does it work then?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Installing services requires administrative privileges. Services have a number of configuration parameters, one of which is the account it runs as, another is whether or not unprivileged accounts are allowed to start that service.

Installing the service will require a UAC prompt. It will be configured to run using a privileged account and allow unprivileged user accounts to start it. Once it is installed, Firefox will be able to invoke the service on demand without any UAC prompts.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Installing services requires administrative privileges. Services have a number of configuration parameters, one of which is the account it runs as, another is whether or not unprivileged accounts are allowed to start that service.

Installing the service will require a UAC prompt. It will be configured to run using a privileged account and allow unprivileged user accounts to start it. Once it is installed, Firefox will be able to invoke the service on demand without any UAC prompts.

Awesome, thanks.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

Hello firefox update service, please update firefox to this new version of virusfox. TIA!

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Good luck getting your virus signed by Mozilla.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

How do I get rid of this "Inspect Element" thing in the right click menu?

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
There may be a better way to do it, but adding this to your userChrome.css will work:
code:
/* Remove Inspect Element context menu */
#context-inspect,
#inspect-separator
{display: none !important; }
It can be found at %appdata%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<your profile>\chrome, if it's not there then create it as a plain text file and rename.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Go to about:config and change the devtools.inspector.enabled setting to false

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Anyone else having youtube buffering issues?

It's not the audio, just the video that's choppy with heavy animation.

Usually, even when the video is still loading, i.e. the grey bar is halfway, the video loads fine. You can watch it and fastforward all around the pre-loaded part. But recently it's been choppy.

This isn't a cpu issue, I tested the same video in opera and it was nice and smooth. It's just in firefox on youtube.

It must be SOMEthing that's changed, but what?

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Mister Roboto posted:

Usually, even when the video is still loading, i.e. the grey bar is halfway, the video loads fine. You can watch it and fastforward all around the pre-loaded part. But recently it's been choppy.

This isn't a cpu issue, I tested the same video in opera and it was nice and smooth. It's just in firefox on youtube.

Is it HTML5 video or flash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prize Loser
Nov 28, 2005

It's casual Friday! Pants are optional!

Mister Roboto posted:

Just a shot in the dark, here, but try disabling hardware acceleration in Flash's settings. Right click a video, go to settings, untick the box. For some reason Flash's hardware acceleration and Firefox don't really cooperate for me.