Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

I made my first quilt.

Took about 40 hours or so and probably about $50 of fabric give or take a few digits on time and money (I'm bad at keeping track).

I made it for my sister for christmas, and I really like how it turned out. Pictured there without the quilting, but I was so tired finishing it christmas eve that I forgot to take a picture with that stuff done.

the texture on the white is hard to see in the photos of the whole thing:

Here's a link to a bunch more pictures of the process and stuff if you care:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/100484520633918280556/albums/5690962140830630401

edit: quilting:

crabrock fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Dec 30, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uberwekkness
Jul 25, 2008

You have to train harder to make it to nationals.
I would really like to get into sewing, particularly for costumes. I can get access to a sewing machine, but I don't have one myself. Is it a terrible idea to try to learn how to do things by hand? I've made repairs to clothes, and certain hats (for costumes) by hand, but would it be too ambitious to do a full piece of clothing by hand? Are there any resources to teach me how to do specific stitches by hand? The one I'm currently most curious about, is how to sew stretch fabric. I know most people need a particular sewing machine to do it, but I'd like to hem a stretchy dress I have.

Other question is, I'd like to make this dress for a costume:
http://www.simplicity.com/p-5528-misses-dresses-cynthia-rowley-collection.aspx

And if I feel particularly insane, this one, later:
http://www.simplicity.com/p-1547-costumes.aspx

Can anyone tell me what I'm getting myself into? :ohdear:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

uberwekkness posted:

I would really like to get into sewing, particularly for costumes. I can get access to a sewing machine, but I don't have one myself. Is it a terrible idea to try to learn how to do things by hand? I've made repairs to clothes, and certain hats (for costumes) by hand, but would it be too ambitious to do a full piece of clothing by hand? Are there any resources to teach me how to do specific stitches by hand? The one I'm currently most curious about, is how to sew stretch fabric. I know most people need a particular sewing machine to do it, but I'd like to hem a stretchy dress I have.

Other question is, I'd like to make this dress for a costume:
http://www.simplicity.com/p-5528-misses-dresses-cynthia-rowley-collection.aspx

And if I feel particularly insane, this one, later:
http://www.simplicity.com/p-1547-costumes.aspx

Can anyone tell me what I'm getting myself into? :ohdear:

For stretchy fabric, you just need to zigzag it. Most commercial stretch fabric is done using a serger - take a look at the seams on the dress you want to alter.

Doing things by hand sucks and takes forever.

Yurpdod
May 31, 2003

So I'm pretty in love with Prada's 2012 spring menswear, this shirt specifically:

It looks really easy to make, but I wonder where I could find that fabric, or something very similar. Anyone seen anything similar to it?

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Yurpdod posted:

So I'm pretty in love with Prada's 2012 spring menswear, this shirt specifically:

It looks really easy to make, but I wonder where I could find that fabric, or something very similar. Anyone seen anything similar to it?

I had a look on Spoonflower for you, but there's surprisingly few prints of figures. On the second page searching for "people", I found this:

But obviously that's not on a white background.

Alternatively, this:

From the same designer.

That's the closest I could find with a quick search, and yeah... they're miles off.

Home Despot
Aug 21, 2011
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask but I'm making leather bracelets with bead work stitched right into the leather. The bracelets are about 1/4 inch wide. What I'm looking for is a way to hide the knots and stitches on the back of the bracelet, as well as protect them from wear and tear. I was thinking of using very thin leather cord and then using a leather glue or cobblers cement to secure it to the back of the bracelet. The stitches are always going to be in the center of the strip and will at most be 2mm apart. I'm not sure if this is the right way to go or if there is a better option.

I want the bracelets to be as flexible as possible and I haven't really worked with a leather glue or rubber cement before so I don't know how much stiffness these products will introduce. Any input is appreciated.

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear
I love love love that Prada collections too! I think really it's not the subject of the print that matters so much, just find something suitably retro and colorful. The runway stuff had a lot of print mixing too:

So ridiculous, I love it.

Speaking of shirts, here's my boyfriend wearing his custom Xmas shirts:

So nice to see someone wearing something I've made! Too often I make things that are not really "everyday wearable"

The Dear Jane Battle continues. B-6 was a beast with all those little strips.

Cerri
Apr 27, 2006
I've decreed I can sew no more till I get all my craft/sewing poo poo organized. To that end, I've been working on a wall unit to hold all my sewing/crafting stuff. I'm looking for more creative organization ideas than "put poo poo in boxes on shelves".

How do you guys keep your stuff wrangled, to prevent it taking over the house like mine currently is?

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Cerri posted:

I've decreed I can sew no more till I get all my craft/sewing poo poo organized. To that end, I've been working on a wall unit to hold all my sewing/crafting stuff. I'm looking for more creative organization ideas than "put poo poo in boxes on shelves".

How do you guys keep your stuff wrangled, to prevent it taking over the house like mine currently is?

I... umm. I pile it on the floor.

Just like, everywhere.

Or I hide it in tubs and put those in corners where no-one can see it.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Cerri posted:

I have a closet whose door I can barely close due to spare fabric falling out.

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Witty closing remarks have been replaced by massive head trauma and general stupidity.
Mine's a combonation of those two.

Cerri
Apr 27, 2006
Haha, if you add to those "and strewn over random flat surfaces", that's my current method of "organization"!

I'll post pics of my "wall" when I get it set up, maybe I can inspire someone else. January is National Organization Month, after all (or so someone told me)! ;)

I've been getting some good ideas from Pinterest. This woman was my inspiration for starting this whole project. http://sewmanyways.blogspot.com/2011/04/sewingcraft-room-ideas-and-updates.html I looked upon the glory of her craft room, then looked upon mine and despaired. :(

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
/\ That woman is bizarre to me. For one thing, she calls a kettle an "electric pot", and another, her sewing room is bigger than the space most people I know live in. drat loving Americans with your low population density and large houses :argh:

How many of you have dedicated craft rooms? I was going through the comments on the site like "woaah"

Cerri posted:

1 large plastic box under the bed for fabric, 1 for yarn, threads in a sewing box, scissors in a mug on my desk, patterns, rotary cutter blades and quilt rulers in an Ikea metal set of drawers that goes under my desk.

Having a nice high bed helps you fit poo poo under it. When you can no longer put the lid on the box, it's time to stash purge or make something!

madlilnerd fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jan 6, 2012

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.
I have one of these in black: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50103086/ that is full of fabric. All my spools of thread are in a spool case that I received for Christmas and my notions, scissors, blades, etc. are in a super hip tackle box (I'm a boy, it's okay).

Reverend Cheddar
Nov 6, 2005

wriggle cat is happy

Cerri posted:

For fabric I have one gigantic huge-rear end cardboard box. I stack the fabric in it nicely :( Then I have a little cubby (... another cardboard box; livin' large here folks) for my toolbox and other stuff like styling tools. It's kinda spilling over a little, I need to clean that one too. No time to draft, sew, or clean these days though. Grr.

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear

madlilnerd posted:

How many of you have dedicated craft rooms? I was going through the comments on the site like "woaah"

I do, although I live in a major American city, so it's no where near as big, and it's also my clothes closet. I just did some reorganization and I can't recommend the Whitmor big ugly stainless steel shelves enough, I can just jam everything on there and they are very sturdy (I'm not much one for cutesy spaces) A lot of other artists I know will rent studio spaces in big old industrial buildings with lots of other people and just throw up walls for themselves.

Giant new shelf, little cube shelves

Clothing rack for my finished work--one of the best things I ever bought, now I don't have to worry about my work getting damaged in rubbermaid totes (I lost two pieces to mouse poop long ago :( ) Also my own closet because there is only one other closet in the apartment and that's my boyfriend's.

And my desk, cork board and inspirational unicorn photo.

So that's my tiny room, it was a requirement when we looked for apartments last year. After I finished school, where I had a studio, that all had to come home with me, and in our last apartment, there was just no room, I was working on the floor. So I feel super lucky. Would I love to have that women's immense ridiculous space, sure, but this works just fine.

Also if any of you need boxes to hold your various supplies, go to a high-end shoe store. I work in one and we always have tons of really nice, sturdy boxes (even long thin boot boxes, which are great for under the bed) and we will give them to you for free. They're not pretty, but you're crafty, you can fix 'em up.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

madlilnerd posted:

When we moved into this house, a small spare bedroom was being used as the laundry room. We kept the washer and dryer there, but I also have a 6 foot folding table in there, a small bookshelf with all my sewing, woodworking, etc. books on it, and the closet is all fabric, projects, notions, and so forth. So not a dedicated room but close enough.

The table kind of sucks, though. It's molded plastic rather than pressed wood and it vibrates like crazy from the machine.

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis
I'm at a loss to find Nalbinding patterns anywhere online, does anyone have any links for patterns for scarves, hats, socks ?

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos
Cleaned my room recently so there is now fabric in plastic tubs under the bed, stacked on some shelves of the bookcase, in boxes (plastic and cardboard) stacked up in a few corners, and probably in some other places too. But I'm planning quilts now so some of those cotton prints will be out of the stash!

Here's some of the Christmas present potholders I made for my co-workers. The patchwork was all right but the bias tape edging was a nightmare and took ages. There are eleven total and my brother has been instructed to clobber me if I ever decide to do something like this again. But at least they're kind of cute!

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/526/dscn1121x.jpg/

edited because, darn Imageshack links . . .

handbags at dawn
Mar 8, 2007

Plasma1010 posted:

I'm at a loss to find Nalbinding patterns anywhere online, does anyone have any links for patterns for scarves, hats, socks ?

You might be better served by the knitting thread down the page: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2734732

handbags at dawn
Mar 8, 2007
I have an old sewing desk with three big drawers in one corner of the den/tv room/whatever. The Singer machine that came with the desk is folded down and my newer machine is sitting on top. I have rulers hanging on the wall and a little rubbermaid six-drawer thing on the top of the table. All my fabric is in rubbermaid containers in my bedroom closet. (when we bought the house, someone had put those organizing wire shelves in and I don't have a lot of clothes so my side of the closet is pretty much fabric storage) I have an old table out in the garage with my big cutting mat on, and a smaller cutting mat I can put on the dining table if I need to.

I don't want to have a dedicated sewing room - I want to be in the same room as other people when I sew.

Stultus Maximus posted:

The table kind of sucks, though. It's molded plastic rather than pressed wood and it vibrates like crazy from the machine.
You should start hitting up garage sales and Craigslist for old small dining tables - that's what I was using before I found this desk, a dining table big enough for two chairs that my sister had before she got married.

Zylen
Mar 25, 2005

The third time, the exception becomes the rule
Does anyone here know where someone in the UK could buy a "ribbed band" online so that I can hem the bottom of a top I've all but finished making? I'm new to sewing and have been having no luck whatsoever finding anything.

Edit: Managed to find this place, which I'll probably go with unless something better shows up.

Zylen fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Jan 16, 2012

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
I have a 70s Elna that I love dearly. However, recently it's begun to make quite a few odd noises as I try and sew. Its two favorites are squeaking and a noise like a helicopter.

Sometimes (regularly) the thread spontaneously breaks just above the needle.

I don't know how easy it is to diagnose a sewing machine's ailment from these sorts of symptoms, but if there is anything in particular that might be a step in the right direction, that would be great.

Failing that, where should I go that won't be ludicrously expensive, if it needs to be properly repaired?

(Also, of course, if there's anything in particular you'd need to know to help with all this I'll do my best to find out about it!)

I'm sure everyone's heart goes out to this poor machine.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008
Just do a google maps search for mom&pop sewing machine repair (stay away from large stores). Expect to pay around $100.

If you want to fix it yourself you'll need to start pinpointing the problem. Do you hear the squeaking when turning the handwheel or only when motor is running? What area is it coming from?

Thread breaks when it's being pulled at from both ends. So part of your troubleshooting will be finding out if the thread gets stuck in the bottom bobbin area when it shouldn't be or in the top area. Again the best way to figure this out is by using the handwheel and feeling for excessive tension on the thread.

Etheldreda
Jun 1, 2008

My ironing board is really terrible despite being pretty new; it doesn't seem to have any padding so I can't iron things flat (and I'm trying to sew patchwork). It's also wobbly and shrieks horribly when I unfold the legs. I've found some super expensive ironing boards online but I don't really want to order one sight unseen. Where can I find a good ironing board in person, or, can anyone vouch for one of the expensive online ones?

Places I've tried:
Target - nothing good
Sears - couldn't find any at all
WalMart - actually my GPS didn't want me to go there and I spent 45 minutes driving in a circle so I gave up finding the store, but I could give it another shot
Home Goods - doesn't sell ironing boards
JoAnn's - doesn't sell ironing boards either!

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Etheldreda posted:

My ironing board is really terrible despite being pretty new; it doesn't seem to have any padding so I can't iron things flat (and I'm trying to sew patchwork). It's also wobbly and shrieks horribly when I unfold the legs. I've found some super expensive ironing boards online but I don't really want to order one sight unseen. Where can I find a good ironing board in person, or, can anyone vouch for one of the expensive online ones?

Places I've tried:
Target - nothing good
Sears - couldn't find any at all
WalMart - actually my GPS didn't want me to go there and I spent 45 minutes driving in a circle so I gave up finding the store, but I could give it another shot
Home Goods - doesn't sell ironing boards
JoAnn's - doesn't sell ironing boards either!

I think a more accurate thing to say is "my ironing board is terrible because it's pretty new".

I have not seen a good ironing board sold in stores. They're all wobbly and have such thin padding that it waffle-patterns everything you press on them. Try doing some vintage shopping to find either a really old board that's made from wood (I currently have an old one like that) or at least one that's sheet metal instead of that lattice. If the padding is too thin, you can get jute padding and cut to size.

Etheldreda
Jun 1, 2008

Thanks for the tip! I found this on craigslist: http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/fuo/2784025734.html - going to fetch it in a couple of hours.

Brigg
Dec 27, 2006
Master of all things orange.
Just noticed this thread, guess I'm one of the few men who like to sew.
I dont make shirts or pants or anything though, I make flak jackets and body armor. This one is an old retro styled one.

I do occasional pieces for the local Police departments as well.

Im hoping to get some more work from them soon.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Brigg posted:

Just noticed this thread, guess I'm one of the few men who like to sew.
I dont make shirts or pants or anything though, I make flak jackets and body armor. This one is an old retro styled one.

I do occasional pieces for the local Police departments as well.

Im hoping to get some more work from them soon.

Thats actually really neat! The manliest sewing. How did you get into that line of work?

And as for other men sewing, I think we all hang out in the stuffed animal sewing thread.

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.

Brainbread posted:

And as for other men sewing, I think we all hang out in the stuffed animal sewing thread.

This is true. The anti-manly sewing crew.

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Witty closing remarks have been replaced by massive head trauma and general stupidity.
I think they're both similarly manly, but outside the sewing threads people think I'm a dude.

But maybe it's a wonderful cross-promotional opportunity; there could be a bunch of people looking for ballistic vests for stuffed animals.

Brigg
Dec 27, 2006
Master of all things orange.
Ive made body armor for dogs before, Police K9 units. I suppose its close enough....

Here are a couple of my more recent ones (First one was actually made this week)

I have a thing for Vietnam-era stuff.

I suppose I got into sewing mostly because I had spare time, and it didnt look too hard (I was wrong). Im also already kinda artistically inclined and already had an old sewing machine my mother was gonna get rid of, which i took because it worked fine. I also do lots of drawing, and I did 3d animation for almost a decade. So, a lot of my sewn items came directly from drawings I had done, or characters I modeled.

I started doing equipment for buddies of mine who were still in the military once I thought I was good enough that my stuff wouldnt just fall apart. I started with things like these:

The Government Cheese pouch. For a while I mailed those to all my military friends as Christmas gifts (Yes I drew a face on all of the cheese wedges). Government cheese pouches have seen action from the Pacific all the way to Iraq and Afghanistan.. because you never know when you might need cheese. Never did get to design the "Wine and Baguette" pouch though.

Anyway, so it just kinda snowballed from there. Started getting requests for stuff, and eventually settled on Body armor as the main thing to focus on. The Police actually came to me for vests, through a mutual contact. So, Now I'm just seeing where it goes.

Brigg fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Feb 1, 2012

Rule .303
Dec 9, 2011
(Instructions are just some other guy's opinion)
Brigg, have you contacted Viet Nam re-enactors? They like things like that and they like stuff they can campaign in and not worry about destroying.

You may also want to look up the body armor people at the bigger gun shows, too, they might be able to hook you up with purchasers that want custom work, and are willing and able to pay for it, and even better, the customer buys whatever inserts instead of expecting you to get them.

the OD stuff is pretty cool.

Hana Dammit
Nov 29, 2004

Punch-drunk tears of a clone.
havent been to this thread in a while! holy crap, body armor! I am so impressed.

Doing a local design competition right now, project runway rules. first challenge was 4yds of white linen + $5 in notions

The dress was also reversible, the other side is blue. my own pattern + dye job.

aaaand I don't think I ever posted these but I did some work for a couple of bands last summer/fall, and made 10 panda suits for Halloween rampaging

Tropical World

the "titless-assless-bellyless maternity romper" in its uncompleted form

made for the drummer of (not)Knot Knocked Up

+ Bad Naked

Pandamonium

NYE things

yep that's about it. Right now I'm making a horrible, horrible fake bear fur jacket for my crazy friend. I'll show pictures when that monstrosity is complete.

A.s.P.
Jun 29, 2006

They're just a bunch of shapes. Don't read too deeply into it.

Hana Dammit posted:

Oh my god. All of the pics you posted are magical but I really want that blue cagey thing!

(Will you sell it to me? :ohdear:)

Hana Dammit
Nov 29, 2004

xx

Hana Dammit fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Feb 16, 2017

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.
I think this is the right thread for this post... I've made some of my own jewelery which randomly started after seeing a piece I liked at a store for $80. Said gently caress that, I can do this myself.

A bit blurry, but the different chain gauges make it hang just off center.

------------

This is a bracelet which is part of a 3-set of identical bracelets, meant to be worth together. The one I took a photo of hasn't been connected to the leather. The leather is set up so the hemp knot allows to slide open and closed, which means no clasp is required. There are three versions of each 3-set: jade, red onyx, and one with some other stone I've forgotten which is also reddish.

------------

I went in to get a jump ring to fix the first necklace and ended up putting this piece together last weekend. I made three, two with the wood horn, one without.

------------

Then this weekend, I heard about a 40% off all retail products at the store for it's 20th birthday and went a little bonkers. Got some antique red white-heart beads and copper for this bracelet band. Set it up with a toggle.

-------------

These are all meant to be primarily masculine, however I've done two more feminine but don't have photos (was finishing them both frantically before I gifted them). I'm remaking one of them for a friend as a V-day gift. I'll post photos when complete.

Currently working on finishing the series of jade/red onyx/leather 3-set, and final touches on dupelicates of many of above. For new pieces I have another leather braiding into a big brass ornate half-moon shaped piece bracelet which I'll probably start once I get to the library and check out a leather braiding book.

c0ldfuse fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Feb 6, 2012

Cerri
Apr 27, 2006
I've finally saved up enough money and become confident enough in my current sewing abilities to move up to buying a serger (I'm dying to try making one of those Katwise Elf Coats).

Anyone have any suggestions for a good beginner machine? I'd prefer to keep it under, or at least still in the neighborhood of, 300 bucks.

Are either of these any good? Janome 7034D Janome 8002D I can't tell if there's any meaningful differences between the two, but with a 100 dollar difference, I assume there must be one...? This Brother model seems to have a lot of good reviews too.

Cerri fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Feb 7, 2012

fanpantstic
Jul 30, 2010

inner breathlessness
outer restlessness
So I've been thinking I just need to learn to sew leggings so I can make my own Black Milk knockoffs (with this). I had some thrift knit fabric my mom sent me for christmas, and I drafted a pattern from some leggings I have. (made shorts too use less material).

This is the first time I've sewed with knits or drafted my own pattern, lol.

Also the fabric is pretty thin and see-through. I ran into a few problems: The fabric I used has much less stretch than my leggings. I got the shorts on, but there should have been room to fold down a waistband and there was definitely not. All the fabric had to go sideways to get around my butt. Also the fabric is pretty see-through (okay, I'm just practicing, never intended to wear them). Also I still need to fix the tension on my sewing machine.
()

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hana Dammit
Nov 29, 2004

xx

Hana Dammit fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Feb 16, 2017