Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame

ILikeVoltron posted:

We had one of the knockoffs in our office for a while and while I thought it looked nice, it wasn't very comfortable. That said, I've got a Steelcase Leap (not in use) in my office and think it's a piece of junk. I'm waiting on a Steelcase Criterion for my home office.

Can you go into detail as to why you think its junk? I'm about to buy one and I don't want to make a bad purchase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weinus
Mar 4, 2004

I was made to understand there were grilled cheese sandwiches here.

dur posted:

A lot of the chairs linked in this thread look awfully bulky and, uh, office-y, but the room I'm turning into an office is pretty small. I want something with as little bulk as possible, so the room feels bigger. Is there anything else out there that might fit and isn't massively expensive?

I've got one of these "bungie" chairs a few months ago and I'm finding it to be pretty comfortable. Very little bulk. Although it does look like a lawn chair...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001OW7JSE/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details

The price on that one has gone up ~$60 from when I bought it though.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The Steelcase Think is very unobtrusive in a room if you get one with a mesh back

johnnyXcrane
Aug 16, 2011
How hard is the Aeron?
My rear end is somewhat sensitive and hates to sit on a hard surface.
On my cheap chair i even use a blanket or i cant sit longer than an hour on it!

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

johnnyXcrane posted:

How hard is the Aeron?
My rear end is somewhat sensitive and hates to sit on a hard surface.
On my cheap chair i even use a blanket or i cant sit longer than an hour on it!
It's not hard at all because the seat and back are basically mesh that gives as you sit/lean on it

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

real_scud posted:

It's not hard at all because the seat and back are basically mesh that gives as you sit/lean on it

People do whine about their legs falling asleep, although I've never met anyone who actually has mentioned that as a problem.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

get out posted:

Can you go into detail as to why you think its junk? I'm about to buy one and I don't want to make a bad purchase.

Sure, several reasons. I'll even sit in it and talk to you about all of the things I don't like! Granted I'm a picky person, you should sit in one in a showroom or whatever to make sure you like it.

Ahh yes, now I know. So the back plate has two ways to bend.

1) You can lean back (changing the pivot or angle from say, 90 degrees to 45 or so)

2) You can actually lean the back plate forward (towards you) if you sit with you rear end all the way to the back of the chair. Because of this, the plate tilts forward slightly and makes it impossible for me to lean back and be comfortable. Its somewhat difficult to describe but I always find myself trying to sit father back in the chair and being uncomfortable when I do, also, when trying to lean back and type this post out the bottom plate seems to lean forward (towards the front of the chair and towards the ground) some causing the whole thing to sort of spring board open.

That said, I was really happy when the office got all new chairs and tried every setting and option available but could never get comfortable, this was also after sitting in a Mira for a few months which gave me some sciatic nerve issues with my right leg. I went back to a simple L curved chair that leans back and has no options other than height and tension on the pivot and love it. Even sitting in this chair to discuss the issue causes my nerve to bother me.

Let me know if this helps you.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Maneki Neko posted:

People do whine about their legs falling asleep, although I've never met anyone who actually has mentioned that as a problem.

This tends to have less to do with the chair design and more to do with the chair being a poor fit or adjusted wrong.

dunkan
Jul 10, 2006

rage is everywhere
If you do get a chair from Staples buy their 3 year protection plan. It cost ~$17 and is a no questions asked refund. Fill out a web form with "arm fell off" and they send you a gift card to staples for the purchase price.

A unscrupulous fellow might even just do it if their chair is fine, for essentially a free chair.

It works out for me since a chair can only suffer my massive form for a yearish before needing replaced. (6'7" ~350)

Their executive mesh chair with headrest is pretty comfortable and solid. Something like one of these: http://www.staples.com/True-Seating-Designs-Mesh-Managers-Chair-with-Headrest-Black-and-Chrome/product-nr_796648

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

dunkan posted:

It works out for me since a chair can only suffer my massive form for a yearish before needing replaced. (6'7" ~350)

What's up, identical height and weight buddy? :hfive:

Now I'm off to check out that chair.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

ILikeVoltron posted:

We had one of the knockoffs in our office for a while and while I thought it looked nice, it wasn't very comfortable.
I figured that was going to be the case. Guess I'll keep looking.

weinus posted:

I've got one of these "bungie" chairs a few months ago and I'm finding it to be pretty comfortable. Very little bulk. Although it does look like a lawn chair...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001OW7JSE/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details

The price on that one has gone up ~$60 from when I bought it though.
I saw those at some store I went to a few months ago. It didn't seem like it would be all that comfortable, though. I'll give it another look if I see it again.

Elder Postsman fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Feb 1, 2012

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Dimitri ExZemos posted:

You can give them a ring and find out :)

They don't mind doing 1 offs.

Yeah I was just curious if it was a mass order I don't really need a replacement for my humanscale freedom.

Sonic H
Dec 8, 2004

Me love you long time
Recently got one of these and it's amazingly comfy. Locking the seat in position is ideal for gaming/typing and the amount of lean back is great - it's not *too* stiff either. It can be had for less (annoyingly given what I paid) from other online retailers, but it's definitely worth the money.

WHATEVS SISTER
Feb 20, 2003

Now here comes the fun part...
Maybe a repeat question, and maybe better for the DIY forum. I apologize in advance, but I'm figuring someone in this thread has dealt with this before:

The concrete floor area I'm currently stuck rolling around in has a pretty uneven, slanted floor. My back is gonna be very hosed up if I don't do something about it. Is there a cheap/easy/clever way to level this poo poo out? Quick fixes are fine, just fishing for short-term solutions.

vacuity
Sep 9, 2005
We use these at work. It is by far the most comfortable chair I have ever sat in. It feels much better to me than either the Aeron or the Mirra, but I am not a huge guy. However, we do have a few gigantic lumberjack men in the office and they very heatedly fight over who gets one when a new wave of chairs is purchased, so infer from that what you will.

I tried to buy one, but the dealers around me are just not equipped to sell to an individual and they made me jump through 20 hoops before just deciding to stop returning my calls. If you can find a dealer near you who isn't a sleazy old man I can't recommend this chair enough.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

WHATEVS SISTER posted:

Maybe a repeat question, and maybe better for the DIY forum. I apologize in advance, but I'm figuring someone in this thread has dealt with this before:

The concrete floor area I'm currently stuck rolling around in has a pretty uneven, slanted floor. My back is gonna be very hosed up if I don't do something about it. Is there a cheap/easy/clever way to level this poo poo out? Quick fixes are fine, just fishing for short-term solutions.

Are you in a garage? Those are usually slanted by code, might not be an "ez" fix.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Which code/country? I've never run into this in the US.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
I had no idea that the work chair I sit in for several hours a day is so highly regarded (and kinda pricey.) All we have in this office is the Aeron chair. Pearls before swine, I guess. It is pretty comfortable, but I can't see paying even $300 for this thing.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I think the branding is a lot of it. We got an Eames rocker for Christmas (also produced by Herman Miller) and it is really cool, but not $500 cool. People who know design pay a lot for designer names.

One of my friends picked up a nice orange Eames stackable in a garage sale for like $30, which shows you what most people think that kind of thing is worth when you take the name recognition away.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Had an Aeron in the home office for about three months now and I love it.

I feel like I could use a good ergonomic footrest too.

Any recommendations? Willing to spend up to 50 or 60 bucks.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

vacuity posted:

I tried to buy one, but the dealers around me are just not equipped to sell to an individual and they made me jump through 20 hoops before just deciding to stop returning my calls. If you can find a dealer near you who isn't a sleazy old man I can't recommend this chair enough.
That's pretty much par for the course in the furniture industry, yeah (I work for a chair manufacturer if you didn't see my other posts in this thread). Why would a dealer give you the time of day when they're working on 100+ chair orders - which they're barely making margin on anyway? It gets worse as the manufacturers get bigger, and Allsteel is pretty big.

betterinsodapop posted:

I had no idea that the work chair I sit in for several hours a day is so highly regarded (and kinda pricey.) All we have in this office is the Aeron chair. Pearls before swine, I guess. It is pretty comfortable, but I can't see paying even $300 for this thing.
Pretty much. The Aeron was a revolution in ergonomics when it came out, and now it's out of date. But they won't change it because people still buy them by the truckload on name alone.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I finally made it to a store to try some of these, and none of them really impressed me except for the Embody - which genuinely felt a shitload better than both my current chair and the other HM products. just my luck, the one chair I really like is like $1200. gently caress.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

vacuity posted:

We use these at work. It is by far the most comfortable chair I have ever sat in. It feels much better to me than either the Aeron or the Mirra, but I am not a huge guy. However, we do have a few gigantic lumberjack men in the office and they very heatedly fight over who gets one when a new wave of chairs is purchased, so infer from that what you will.

For something similar and of high quality, look online for the Knoll Life. We had Knoll Life chairs at my old office and those things where all-day comfortable. The chair you're looking at is probably a clone of the Life.

teamdest
Jul 1, 2007
I bought a v1 Leap off ebay that was listed as "Fully Loaded", but doesn't have a lumbar support. Was that not a feature in the first version, or was I misled?

Saba
Jul 25, 2007

Nap Ghost
I think my Leap is a v1 and it has a big knob on the right side of the back frame for lumbar support, and these little sliding tabs to adjust the lumbar placement between the plastic frame and the cushion.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Anyone here from Australia know where to inquire about Hermann Miller chairs?

Looking at probably picking up a Aeron or Embody depending on prices but haven't got a reply back from the people I've emailed - probably as it's just a single unit for home use :(

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Does anyone have any experience with the practical differences between the Balance and the Rhythm fabrics on the Embody? Big difference or no?

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

VodeAndreas posted:

Anyone here from Australia know where to inquire about Hermann Miller chairs?

Looking at probably picking up a Aeron or Embody depending on prices but haven't got a reply back from the people I've emailed - probably as it's just a single unit for home use :(

If you're looking at it online then http://www.innerspacestore.com.au has a few different HM chairs on offer, but you're looking at $1200 or so for an Aeron or $1650 for an Embody. Or if you live in Sydney/Brisbane/Melbourne/Perth then Living Edge stores sell them too.

If you don't want to shell *that* much out for a chair, bestchair.com.au sell the ergohumans for $550 or a bunch of places sell the Buro Metro (which gets a lot of decent reviews) for about $330.

Dimitri ExZemos
Aug 9, 2006
Dimitri

Dimitri ExZemos posted:

Used ones are firm in price, no bulk discounts available. Fully loaded $400 with free shipping:

http://www.nationalofficeliquidators.com/products/herman-miller-mirra-fully-featured-mesh-seat

I got in my fully loaded Mirra today at work. It's delicious!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I've used aeron chairs at work for a year and they are amazing. I wish I could afford one. Now we have Steelcase chairs and they are alright, but somehow they purchased the ugliest colors possible for them. The think is a pretty decent chair, too bad it's 800 dollars.

Though the i2i is retarded. I first sat in one and thought "ok, this is alright." Then I noticed the seat and back rotate independently. I wondered why anyone would need this and then looked it up and apparently "The chair’s back and seat swivel independently allowing users respond to the moment while maintaining focus. Swivel the seat and back together, swivel the back only, swivel the seat only."

I'm probably just going to end up with some ikea or office depot chair because I'm too cheap to spend 800 dollars on my back. I once sat in a chair with an arm missing and the back of it was falling off and I had to sit in it in a particular way which hurt my back because I was too cheap to buy a better one.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Feb 14, 2012

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Tornhelm posted:

If you're looking at it online then http://www.innerspacestore.com.au has a few different HM chairs on offer, but you're looking at $1200 or so for an Aeron or $1650 for an Embody. Or if you live in Sydney/Brisbane/Melbourne/Perth then Living Edge stores sell them too.

If you don't want to shell *that* much out for a chair, bestchair.com.au sell the ergohumans for $550 or a bunch of places sell the Buro Metro (which gets a lot of decent reviews) for about $330.

Ouch, I was expecting it to cost but that's a bit more than I expected still... Thanks for the alternate suggestions I'll check some more reasonable options out :(

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Taima posted:

Does anyone have any experience with the practical differences between the Balance and the Rhythm fabrics on the Embody? Big difference or no?

the guy who I talked to at the authorized reseller store here (who didn't work on commission) said that I should definitely go with the cheaper rhythm stuff unless there was a color I really liked in balance. said it was a huge price difference and didn't matter for the feel of the chair at all.

edit goddamnit why can't the embody be like 600 bucks instead of 1200 :(

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Feb 14, 2012

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

mindphlux posted:

No clue. I like it because it leaves the market wide open for mid market competitors like my company. Herman-Miller basically priced themselves out of competition for a lot of customers - they just don't have anything to offer at the $300-400 range except the Sayl, which is probably not really worth $400.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

mindphlux posted:

the guy who I talked to at the authorized reseller store here (who didn't work on commission) said that I should definitely go with the cheaper rhythm stuff unless there was a color I really liked in balance. said it was a huge price difference and didn't matter for the feel of the chair at all.

Thanks. I actually ended up getting the Rhythm since I found a pre-owned chair. Good to know that I'm not missing much.

Do you live close to a major city? Deals can be had on liquidated office chairs on Craigslist and such. Sometimes a long drive can be worth it, I made a 4 hour trip to San Francisco for my embody but it was $660.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

No clue. I like it because it leaves the market wide open for mid market competitors like my company. Herman-Miller basically priced themselves out of competition for a lot of customers - they just don't have anything to offer at the $300-400 range except the Sayl, which is probably not really worth $400.

Well personally I kind of want the best for my back. Not to be a douchey Prof. Moneybags about it (I'm not wealthy) but the numbers just check out. We spend so much time in our chairs, getting the best seems like a good investment to me when spread over the useful life of the chair. I could easily see using this chair for 10 years, no problem- it's built like a tank. Even at retail price, that's like $120 a year.

Taima fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Feb 14, 2012

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
Does anyone have any experience with the cheaper models of steelcase and herman miller? Im looking at the steelcase coby, crew, reply, and uno as well as the herman miller sayl.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Taima posted:

Well personally I kind of want the best for my back. Not to be a douchey Prof. Moneybags about it (I'm not wealthy) but the numbers just check out. We spend so much time in our chairs, getting the best seems like a good investment to me when spread over the useful life of the chair. I could easily see using this chair for 10 years, no problem- it's built like a tank. Even at retail price, that's like $120 a year.
Hey, if it works for you, and you can afford that, great. But Herman Miller could have priced it a lot less than $1200 and still made a profit. They just did that because they knew people would buy it on the name alone, price be damned.

And as for using the chair 10 years, there are far, far cheaper chairs that have 10-12 year warranties and hold up just fine during that time.

Edit: To clarify, I'm not saying the chair is crap. I think the Embody is one of the best ergonomic chairs on the market, possibly the best. But Herman Miller made a mistake by making it so absurdly expensive, to the point that I don't even consider them competition in the market my company goes after (which includes Google, Facebook, Twitter, etc.). We're generally competing against Knoll and Steelcase now.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Feb 15, 2012

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007

horchata posted:

Does anyone have any experience with the cheaper models of steelcase and herman miller? Im looking at the steelcase coby, crew, reply, and uno as well as the herman miller sayl.

I actually really liked the Sayl. I tried a fully loaded one that costed more than an Aeron though - although I liked it more than the Sayl too.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Yeah I hear ya- Craigslist seems to support your viewpoint as well, since I never see more than one or two Embodies being sold there, ever.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
What is the general opinion of the Humanscale Freedom? I like it because it seems to be in the same league as the Aeron, Leap, and so forth but it is the only one with a headrest. I'm looking for a chair for my home so a headrest is necessary for putting my feet up and relaxing.

The Freedom seems to have an unusual way of adjusting, but as far as I can tell it has all the usual suspects: seat pan depth, back height, arm height, chair height. It doesn't have tilt tension or tilt limit, as far as I can tell, so I don't know how that works.

Does anyone have one or have any experience with one? Are they comfortable?

There's a place on craigslist an hour away from me advertising used ones for $350, that's within my price range as long as I can be sure I haven't been misled about the Freedom being a high quality chair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Magic Underwear posted:

The Freedom seems to have an unusual way of adjusting, but as far as I can tell it has all the usual suspects: seat pan depth, back height, arm height, chair height. It doesn't have tilt tension or tilt limit, as far as I can tell, so I don't know how that works.
It's a "self-weighing" tension chair - you don't need to adjust the tilt tension because the tension is based on the weight of the person sitting in it.

I don't like the Freedom personally, I think when you lean back in it it throws you waaaaaay too far back from the keyboard/screen. It feels more like an easy chair than a work chair in that aspect. Which may be a plus or a minus, depending on what you like. Many people swear by them.

Also every ergonomist I know seems to agree headrests are a horrible idea ergonomically, unless you have a medical issue that requires one. But that's your personal preference.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Feb 15, 2012