Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Young Marge
Jul 19, 2006

but no one can talk to a horse, of course.
I stole as many of those giant pads and mesh panties from the hospital as I could. Very useful. When I ran out, overnight pads were great. Then just thin pantyliners once it started tapering off.

Yeah, I bled for 7 weeks, got a week off and then got my period. What a load of horseshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
I bled for 4 weeks, then it went away for about a week, and then I had a week of light spotting. I stopped basically right before my 6 week checkup.

limegrnxj
Apr 24, 2004
Sounds like I still have a ways to go on the bleeding. Everyone has such adorable babies :)

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
I bled for 11 days, but I think I'm just lucky.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

hookerbot 5000 posted:

I bled for 11 days, but I think I'm just lucky.

I bled for like a week, but even though I was breastfeeding my period came right on time (which happened to be a little over a month after I had her)

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
My first was like a period, so about a week. The third was about two weeks. With my second I bled for two drat months. I thought I was seriously hosed up down there and my hoo-ha was about to jump out and run down the street to freedom. Turns out I was severely anemic.

Eia
Nov 5, 2003

bamzilla posted:

I bled for like a week, but even though I was breastfeeding my period came right on time (which happened to be a little over a month after I had her)

I bled for six weeks, but got 14 months off my period, so your mileage may vary :)

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Eia posted:

I bled for six weeks, but got 14 months off my period, so your mileage may vary :)

You didn't have a period for over a year? Oh God I'd be terrified I was pregnant again! Sounds convenient though!

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
Yeah, my kid is 12 months old and I still haven't had a period. I've taken a couple pregnancy tests in a moment of panic.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
I got my first postpartum period the week my daughter turned one. It's fairly common-- though not an absolute, obviously-- for periods to not come back if you're still breastfeeding. I have some friends who have just now started to get their periods back and our kids are almost 2.

Chandrika
Aug 23, 2007
I bled for about 3 weeks postpartum, and I didn't get my period back until my daughter was 28 months old. And as a super nice bonus, it's wayyyy less painful, lasts much less time, and is a substantially lighter flow. But, it's back to the hormonal rollercoaster again.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
How long after pregnancy does it take for eyesight to return to normal?

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
Did you know that you can get some fairly hardcore Braxton-Hicks contractions as early as 18 weeks? I didn't, until today!

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

So another annoying thing people seem to do that no one warns you about: Ask if you've had the baby yet.

This past week, I've been inundated with people asking me by text or facebook if they baby is there yet? Has your water broken? Hurry up and give birth already! WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO HAVE THE KID?!?!

It's getting super loving annoying. Why the gently caress would I hide the birth from anyone? Just chill the gently caress out, I technically have two weeks left before the kid is even DUE, much less past due. He'll get here when he gets here!

38 weeks today and I feel a lot less stress. I've worked my butt off the past couple of weeks to make sure the house is ready and we have everything. Pretty much everything is done and I feel more relaxed for it. The kid can come at anytime and we wont be scrambling.

SassySally
Dec 11, 2010
We have an update:
The second sonogram shows that today we are 7 weeks in. I was so worried last time when we saw only a dot, but now we have seen the heartbeat and know that we have an 8mm baby. It was definitely reassuring to see.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.

Bodnoirbabe posted:

So another annoying thing people seem to do that no one warns you about : Ask if you've had the baby yet.

This past week, I've been inundated with people asking me by text or facebook if they baby is there yet? Has your water broken? Hurry up and give birth already! WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO HAVE THE KID?!?!

It's getting super loving annoying. Why the gently caress would I hide the birth from anyone? Just chill the gently caress out, I technically have two weeks left before the kid is even DUE, much less past due. He'll get here when he gets here!

38 weeks today and I feel a lot less stress. I've worked my butt off the past couple of weeks to make sure the house is ready and we have everything. Pretty much everything is done and I feel more relaxed for it. The kid can come at anytime and we wont be scrambling.

You haven't talked to a lot of pregnant women or something. This happens to everyone. It's annoying.

Chandrika
Aug 23, 2007

Ben Davis posted:

Mine never did, and I had to get a new prescription. My optometrist said it was a matter of a few weeks, though, if it's going to.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

Ben Davis posted:

Haven't gone through it yet, but I've heard some women say that it will stay "abnormal" through the time you're breastfeeding too.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Mnemosyne posted:

Haven't gone through it yet, but I've heard some women say that it will stay "abnormal" through the time you're breastfeeding too.

My optometrist also warned me that breastfeeding can have an effect. He said he didn't recommend making any changes to my prescription (unless it was seriously off) until I was finished with pregnancy and breastfeeding.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
GUYS! I just had my first appointment and got to see our little blobby moving around on the sonogram. I'm 11 weeks now and after my miscarriage earlier in the year I was starting to get anxious. I couldn't believe how amazing it was to see it moving around, and the little limbs and stuff. It brought smiles to our faces. It was great to see my husband get excited too!

I'm glad I can finally announce the good news to everyone.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Chickalicious posted:

You haven't talked to a lot of pregnant women or something. This happens to everyone. It's annoying.

Well, this is kind of true. You guys here are really my main go to for Pregnancy questions and info. I don't go to any other mommy sites because they're all annoying and the people who had kids I know in real life are the type to tell you how worth it it all is and breeze over the bad parts.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
Has anyone been apprehensive about telling family/friends about their pregnancy?

It's still earlyish days for me yet so I have a couple of weeks up my sleeve until the Nuchal scan, after which we're going to start spreading news.

Thing is, my mother does not like babies so I am expecting her reaction to be less than impressed.
Plus I haven't been 'taking it easy' work-wise and have still been doing all the same stuff I did beforehand, so anticipate a lecture from a number of people about that.

Any hints/tips to deal with it? Did you just suck it up and tell them without worrying about the consequence?
Did you tell them in a subtle manner (Happy Birthday Grandma card or something) or just blurt it out?

Chandrika
Aug 23, 2007

iwik posted:

Has anyone been apprehensive about telling family/friends about their pregnancy?

It's still earlyish days for me yet so I have a couple of weeks up my sleeve until the Nuchal scan, after which we're going to start spreading news.

Thing is, my mother does not like babies so I am expecting her reaction to be less than impressed.
Plus I haven't been 'taking it easy' work-wise and have still been doing all the same stuff I did beforehand, so anticipate a lecture from a number of people about that.

Any hints/tips to deal with it? Did you just suck it up and tell them without worrying about the consequence?
Did you tell them in a subtle manner (Happy Birthday Grandma card or something) or just blurt it out?

My honey and I kept my pregnancy a secret for 3.5 months, then we started by telling our parents. We've been together ten years, so it's not like it was unexpected. We didn't do anything "cute" but we did make sure both of our parents were on the line together so no one got told first. Your pregnancy is not your colleagues' business unless you need to change your duties, so keep it to yourself as long as you want. You should probably tell your boss soon, though, so you can get all your paperwork sorted out.

Your mom doesn't like babies? That's sad, but don't let it hamper your enthusiasm! She might get into it though, so give her a bit of time to come around. Good luck!

enitsirk
Jun 9, 2005
Just because your mom doesn't like babies doesn't mean she won't be excited about YOUR baby.

I don't think you'll get lectures about not taking it easy before telling people, but once they know they will have no problem telling you that you aren't allowed to carry your purse or walk more than ten feet before sitting down :( YMMV but that's a really good reason to wait. It's annoying!

I'd tell your boss/work by blurting it out. Do what sounds fun for your parents. We just brought my mother in law the ultrasound and handed it to her and let her figure it out ;)

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

iwik posted:

It helps that our parents all were going to be excited about babies.

For my wife's parents, we got them on the phone and sent them an e-mail with a list of suggested grandparent nicknames, and they figured it out quickly.

For my father and stepmother, we made up little presents that were "My Favorite Grandpa/Grandma" bibs, along with a mocked up Amazon shipping confirmation for One Baby in Nine Months.

For my mother and stepfather, we were out at dinner with them and my wife and I started asking about my niece (whom they babysit regularly) and how she was with babies and so on until they got it.

For our friends, we let them know at a Halloween party. My wife dressed up as an oven (she's crafty and made it herself), and had a door to open to the oven--and inside, we had the first ultrasound picture. We got some great pictures of people's reaction faces, as well.

All of them were excited. And really, it's whatever matches your style. If you're more of a "by the way, I'm pregnant" sort, then do that.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
If you're worried about people taking the news in a less-than-great manner, whenever you do tell them, just cut straight to the point. Hemming and hawing might make them nervous.

We sat my MIL down and Brandon the Babby-daddy/fiance was going "uhm, well... you see..." and I just went "I'm pregnant." Since Gavin was a surprise, we were still living in MIL's basement at the time, and Babbyfiance Brandon was between jobs. So we were nervous about telling her, felt irresponsible (even though Gavin was conceived several weeks after renewing my Depo shot) and we were kind of expecting her to freak out in some way. If she was going to freak, I wanted to get it over with.

Instead I got the first weird statement of what would become a long list of weird statements related to me being pregnant. "Oh, I kind of suspected, you've been extra pale lately." Uhh, okay? I'm very pale anyway, and it was February, and I'd been living in a basement for several months, but sure. Whatever.

Thia
Oct 14, 2005

Bored now.

Mnemosyne posted:

Is there some secret to keeping my maternity pants from falling down?
Google directed me towards these: http://www.amazon.com/Bellyups-Belly-Maternity-Suspenders-BLACK/dp/B0053EC7HC
but that looks pretty uncomfortable.

This is from a few days ago, but I just wanted to say that I bought these based on this link and they work great for keeping my scrub pants up at work. I wear a bella band over my maternity jeans to help keep them up and it works fine, but my scrubs were another issue. So, thanks! And anyone who has pants falling down problems, they're not uncomfortable in my experience.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

My doctor checked me yesterday to see if I'd started dilating. No dilation, but it was pretty uncomfortable and since then I've been spotting. Brown, not a lot by any measure, but I just want to make sure this is normal. No cramping, but some sharp pains if I move the wrong way, kind of like round ligament pain.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

Bodnoirbabe posted:

My doctor checked me yesterday to see if I'd started dilating. No dilation, but it was pretty uncomfortable and since then I've been spotting. Brown, not a lot by any measure, but I just want to make sure this is normal. No cramping, but some sharp pains if I move the wrong way, kind of like round ligament pain.

Totally normal to spot after cervical checks. I'm surprised they didn't warn you about it.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

dreamcatcherkwe posted:

Totally normal to spot after cervical checks. I'm surprised they didn't warn you about it.

No, didn't say anything, but I figured it was normal, just wanted to be sure.

yawnie
Jul 29, 2003
lollerz.
Oh it's totally normal. I've had different reactions to cervical checks, ranging from no spotting, to brown spotting, to light pink flow for about a day and a half. As long as it's not bright red or heavy and not for more than a day or two, you're good.

A Pork Eclipse Now
Apr 20, 2006

Andrew Christopher has arrived! Weighing in @ 7lbs 8oz, zonohedron & I brought him home yesterday. Due to playing too much Skyrim, he's acquired the nickname "daddy's little milk drinker."

e: on second thought it was the day before yesterday.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

A Pork Eclipse Now fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Feb 4, 2012

Superdawg
Jan 28, 2009

A Pork Eclipse Now posted:

Andrew Christopher has arrived!]

Congrats, and Love the name. :) (It's the same as mine)

car dance
May 12, 2010

Ben is actually an escaped polar bear, posing as a human.

Unlikely because Polar Bears do not know how to speak.
Also it does not make any sense.
I am 35 weeks pregnant now and I can actually feel my hips shifting, widening and pulling apart when I move. I actually feel sometimes like they're going to snap, though I know it's probably normal. Is this related to anything that may be a sign that I'm going to go in to labor soon or can this happen way before birth?

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010

car dance posted:

I am 35 weeks pregnant now and I can actually feel my hips shifting, widening and pulling apart when I move. I actually feel sometimes like they're going to snap, though I know it's probably normal. Is this related to anything that may be a sign that I'm going to go in to labor soon or can this happen way before birth?

I got that toward the end of my pregnancy (maybe 33-34 weeks?) and they said it was because the baby had started dropping into my pelvis. Your hips will feel like a nutcracker. It sucks but its a good sign.

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010
Anyone with big knockers have experience with nipple blanching after they nurse? I'm getting baby to open as wide as possible when she nurses and I make sure to break the latch (correctly) if its causing pain right off the bat, but the blanching when we are done is really lovely and it burns.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
They're turning white?

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010

Ben Davis posted:

They're turning white?

Yes. They're turning white after she's done, then they burn for a few minutes after and then the color returns to normal. They're also often squished into the shape of her mouth for a bit when she's done.

limegrnxj
Apr 24, 2004

Bahunter22 posted:

Yes. They're turning white after she's done, then they burn for a few minutes after and then the color returns to normal. They're also often squished into the shape of her mouth for a bit when she's done.

Edit: Actual science below is way better than the crappy guess I made :)

limegrnxj fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Feb 5, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chandrika
Aug 23, 2007

Bahunter22 posted:

Anyone with big knockers have experience with nipple blanching after they nurse? I'm getting baby to open as wide as possible when she nurses and I make sure to break the latch (correctly) if its causing pain right off the bat, but the blanching when we are done is really lovely and it burns.

Blanching can be a sign of Raynaud's, which I have, and which sucks very much. I breastfed (well, pumped) for more than two years with it, so it can be done, but it always hurt. Your doctor will rule out other causes, but you'll probably need a dermatologist to confirm the diagnosis. I hope for your sake it's not that!