Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
The best German cookies: Pfeffernüsse! Recipes on Google.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armanda
Jan 21, 2006

Deck the halls with boughs of horry, ra ra ra ra ra, ra ra ra ra
I live in Chicago and want to be a part of a CSA this year. Any recommendations? I'd like to be able to pick it up in Logan Square, but I have a car so as long as it's reasonably close, I can deal.

Jenkin
Jan 21, 2003

Piracy is our only option.
I seem to have misplaced my vodka sauce recipe, does anyone have a favorite one they'd like to share? Preferably one that doesn't have the step 'add one jar of marinara sauce?'

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
I have a parmesan polenta in a pan currently in my fridge. I was thinking of grilling that up tonight and making a simple red meat sauce to go on top. Can I consider the polenta as a worthwhile substitute to actual pasta?

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Doh004 posted:

I have a parmesan polenta in a pan currently in my fridge. I was thinking of grilling that up tonight and making a simple red meat sauce to go on top. Can I consider the polenta as a worthwhile substitute to actual pasta?

Sure! It's pretty good for you too.

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

Doh004 posted:

You can consider it a delicious substitute! Make a hearty sauce with plenty of onions and cover the grilled polenta.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
I have some shrimp. I also have some fermented black beans I found at the Asian grocery today.

How would I make a good stir fry sauce for the shrimp using fermented black beans?

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Cowcatcher posted:

You can consider it a delicious substitute! Make a hearty sauce with plenty of onions and cover the grilled polenta.

CuddleChunks posted:

Sure! It's pretty good for you too.

Thanks for that. I've only recently discovered polenta and how stupidly easy it is to make. I haven't used it for much else yet, so we'll see how it turns out. Got hung up at work tonight, so it'll have to be a project for tomorrow :)

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

The lift bowls are designed to fare better with the forces created by mixing a stiff dough. That said, you could always try increasing the hydration of your dough a bit so the mixer has an easier go at it.

Thanks for responding to this. My pizza dough recipe has a hydration of 66% which doesn't seem that low after looking around; I'm not sure how to change this dough recipe to be higher hydration without scrapping it and selecting another unless I'm missing something.

On some advice here I made this recipe again but started with the paddle, adding all of the wet ingredients, stirring, adding in 75% of the flour, and finally integrating the last of it when it's all together. This seemed to help in bringing the dough together. Then I switched to a greased dough hook and things were moving along fine, however during the final 10 or so minutes of kneading I stepped out of the room for a moment and my KitchenAid mixer threw itself off my counter. The bowl was locked and everything. Now that I've gotten back from cleaning that mess up and crying about dinner tomorrow, I'm going to call them and see if I can trade-up for a lift bowl model.

ass is hometown
Jan 11, 2006

I gotta take a leak. When I get back, we're doing body shots.
I found a version of this recipe in the vietnamese (or Thai I can not remember) food thread. How long will it hold for in the fridge?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Drink and Fight posted:

Get this one. The one you linked is sort of cheapy crap and I have broken the hinge on three of them.

Noooo don't get the OXO it's the only product I've bought from them that I had to return because it was such poo poo. The guys designing this squeezer misunderstood how citrus squeezers work. That dimple in the middle makes it so the lemon half doesn't fully invert, which leaves a lot of juice in. Also the arrangement of the holes in the bottom is super bad, so lots of juice squirts out the sides rather than coming out the bottom.

I love OXO and that juicer looks super slick, but one of the cheaper yellow or green ceramic ones is definitely a better choice.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Ridonkulous posted:

I found a version of this recipe in the vietnamese (or Thai I can not remember) food thread. How long will it hold for in the fridge?

Basically forever.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Hed posted:

however during the final 10 or so minutes of kneading I stepped out of the room for a moment and my KitchenAid mixer threw itself off my counter.

Sheesh, is this your first time cooking? Everyone knows a watched pot never boils and an unwatched Kitchenaid commits self-harm due to massive self-loathing issues over not being a Hobart.

:colbert:

(The image of your Kitchenaid giving a mechanical, "Goodbye, cruel world!" and hurling off the counter has me laughing. I hope the lift bowl version solves this problem)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Kenning posted:

Noooo don't get the OXO it's the only product I've bought from them that I had to return because it was such poo poo. The guys designing this squeezer misunderstood how citrus squeezers work. That dimple in the middle makes it so the lemon half doesn't fully invert, which leaves a lot of juice in. Also the arrangement of the holes in the bottom is super bad, so lots of juice squirts out the sides rather than coming out the bottom.

I love OXO and that juicer looks super slick, but one of the cheaper yellow or green ceramic ones is definitely a better choice.
Inversion of the lemon isn't a big deal as long as there's enough pressure across the whole lemon which is what the Oxo achieves.

I've tested motorized reamers, hand reamers, and the Oxo and they all got approximately the same amount of juice. If I visit my parents this weekend I can conduct a comparison test between the Oxo and the Amco, but I really doubt there will be a difference.

The only thing that gets significantly more juice is a motorized masticating juicer, and those run $200.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

CuddleChunks posted:

Sheesh, is this your first time cooking? Everyone knows a watched pot never boils and an unwatched Kitchenaid commits self-harm due to massive self-loathing issues over not being a Hobart.

:colbert:

(The image of your Kitchenaid giving a mechanical, "Goodbye, cruel world!" and hurling off the counter has me laughing. I hope the lift bowl version solves this problem)

It won't. Some doughs just make mixers dance. Even the 60 qt one at my old bakery you had to physically hold it in place while the one dough was mixing or it would walk across the floor.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Thumposaurus posted:

It won't. Some doughs just make mixers dance. Even the 60 qt one at my old bakery you had to physically hold it in place while the one dough was mixing or it would walk across the floor.

Hahah, I think it might be a bit hard to convince your significant other to let you install half inch concrete lag bolts to make sure your mixer stays *put* on the counter.

Then again, if the pizza dough is reaaaallly good they might be up for it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Hed posted:

Thanks for responding to this. My pizza dough recipe has a hydration of 66% which doesn't seem that low after looking around; I'm not sure how to change this dough recipe to be higher hydration without scrapping it and selecting another unless I'm missing something.

On some advice here I made this recipe again but started with the paddle, adding all of the wet ingredients, stirring, adding in 75% of the flour, and finally integrating the last of it when it's all together. This seemed to help in bringing the dough together. Then I switched to a greased dough hook and things were moving along fine, however during the final 10 or so minutes of kneading I stepped out of the room for a moment and my KitchenAid mixer threw itself off my counter. The bowl was locked and everything. Now that I've gotten back from cleaning that mess up and crying about dinner tomorrow, I'm going to call them and see if I can trade-up for a lift bowl model.

You could also try doing the pizza dough in a food processor, which works way better than you'd think. But a beefier mixer is always a good thing to have too.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Kenning posted:

Nope I have it I love it. I use it almost exclusively for limes though.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Jenkin posted:

I seem to have misplaced my vodka sauce recipe, does anyone have a favorite one they'd like to share? Preferably one that doesn't have the step 'add one jar of marinara sauce?'

* 1 can whole peeled tomatoes, drained
* 1 can diced tomatoes, drained
* 3 tbsp olive oil
* 1 small onion
* 3 cloves garlic
* 1/4 tsp salt
* 1/2 tsp oregano
* 2 tbsp basil
* 1/4 cup vodka
* 1/2 cup heavy cream
* 1/4 cup Pecorino Romano or Parmesan cheese

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Drink and Fight posted:

Nope I have it I love it. I use it almost exclusively for limes though.

Yeah, when you're making "margaritas" with no Cointreau, right? :rolleyes:

:smug:

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I remember someone here or in another thread posting a recipe to an Italian pasta appetizer that was more or less noodles + black pepper. Does anyone remember it?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Cacio e pepe.

http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Cheese-and-Pepper-Pasta-Cacio-e-Pepe

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
How do I remove the hair off these farm fresh pig ears? I don't own a single blade razor or a torch.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

icehewk posted:

How do I remove the hair off these farm fresh pig ears? I don't own a single blade razor or a torch.

Buy a razor or a torch.

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.

icehewk posted:

or what ICR said.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You could always take ears down to your local salon and get a full Brazilian.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Dumb question of the day: why do (Western) meat cleavers have that hole drilled in them?
Is it just for hanging them up, or does it serve a purpose while in use?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Costs too much. Nair them at home.

Squashy Nipples posted:

Dumb question of the day: why do (Western) meat cleavers have that hole drilled in them?
Is it just for hanging them up, or does it serve a purpose while in use?

Just to hang them up. They're too big for a lot of knife storage options, so they put the hole there.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Kenning posted:

Yeah, when you're making "margaritas" with no Cointreau, right? :rolleyes:

:smug:

Yep. Heathen.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Steve Yun posted:

Just to hang them up. They're too big for a lot of knife storage options, so they put the hole there.

I've seen butchers using a wrist strap, which figures given the slipperiness they likely run into. Those knives weigh a lot, be a hell of an uncontrolled projectile.

e: Oh derp, I mean a strap on the handle. Yeah the blade hole is just for hanging.

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Feb 1, 2012

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Because if I lose my grip I want it to potentially sling back towards my arm or body because it's on a strap.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

icehewk posted:

Tweezers

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Get a pot of water at a roiling boil and throw them in for just a few seconds, then remove. Then you can just scrape the hair off. This is what you want to do anyway, since if you use a razor you won't get the roots out.

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

GoonsWithSpoons.com :chef:Generalissimo:chef:

Brazilian Pig Ears sounds like something I would have tried until that connotation came in.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Taint nothing to be scared of.

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

GoonsWithSpoons.com :chef:Generalissimo:chef:
Pig taint is.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles
What can I do with stock made from blue crab shells? I'm a novice cook, but the local fish market has blue crab on sale and I don't want to waste the shells.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
You can freeze it till you figure out what you want to do

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Steve Yun posted:

You can freeze it till you figure out what you want to do

I worded that weird... I know I can freeze it, I meant to ask what's a good, beginner recipe I could use the stock in? Also, is throwing in onions, carrots, and celery with the shells a good idea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Big Centipede posted:

I worded that weird... I know I can freeze it, I meant to ask what's a good, beginner recipe I could use the stock in? Also, is throwing in onions, carrots, and celery with the shells a good idea?

Shellfish stock would probably be better with fennel, leek, carrot, celery, a tiny bit of tomato paste, garlic, peppercorn, orange rind, and white wine. If you're not sure what to do and want an adventure, go find Julia Child's bouillabaisse recipe.