Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Honda put out this ad which pays homage to Ferris Bueller's Day Off by giving Matthew Broderick a CR-V.

There's probably a metaphor for Honda's own middle age in here, in that they mostly just say "remember the 80s?" now while wistfully looking off into the distance and burping out inoffensive soft-edged garbage like this.

I have to give kudos to them allowing the car to bottom out and spark on the road, though.

"Remember that 80's movie where you called our car a piece of poo poo?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

MikeyTsi posted:

"Remember that 80's movie where you called our car a piece of poo poo?"
Wasn't that Cameron's Alfa?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

InitialDave posted:

I'm firmly in the camp of "Nice idea, well executed, should've waited for the new NSX".
That was my thought as well. Well done, but with the wrong car.

What's with the trend lately with manufacturers of decidedly non-performance cars trying to play them off like they're high performance? I mean, are any owners actually going to drift their FWD Mercedes? Are we merely seeing a last-ditch effort of car companies trying to stave off the stigma that's caused entire generations to swear they will never ever ever buy a station wagon, minivan or SUV?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
wait what MBs are fwd other than the hideous little A and B class which we don't even get here

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I think we can forgive them, though, as they don't have the NSX at a stage where they'd feel like getting big names involved in doing some kind of parody/comedy advert for it.

Oh, wait.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

wait what MBs are fwd other than the hideous little A and B class which we don't even get here
I thought the C-class was FWD, but I was mistaken. Still, not exactly the most common car on the drift circuit.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

grover posted:

I mean, are any owners actually going to drift their FWD Mercedes?

That depends, does Mercedes make any FWD cars?

Edit: Missed it.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

Honda put out this ad which pays homage to Ferris Bueller's Day Off by giving Matthew Broderick a CR-V.

There's probably a metaphor for Honda's own middle age in here, in that they mostly just say "remember the 80s?" now while wistfully looking off into the distance and burping out inoffensive soft-edged garbage like this.

I have to give kudos to them allowing the car to bottom out and spark on the road, though.

Awful. Shame on Honda for doing this pandering, half-assed piece of garbage. At least the "swagger wagon" commercial was slightly original.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

grover posted:

I thought the C-class was FWD, but I was mistaken. Still, not exactly the most common car on the drift circuit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPh90yNX-mY#t=4m27s

Lazor
Sep 9, 2004

grover posted:

I mean, are any owners actually going to drift their FWD Mercedes Kia?

Fixed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPnum5gnyzU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I think you all are very obviously missing the whole point of the ad, which is clearly "you are a middle aged man who does middle aged things and we make cars for you now, not your teenage fantasies".
The point isn't to say "our car is like a Ferrari like remember in that movie?", it's more "haha, remember when we thought the coolest thing would be to steal dad's Ferrari and play hooky? You ferry your kids around in a Honda Broodwagon now."

Which, when viewed against traditional car advertising that tries to sell us a fantasy when what they're pushing is anything but, is really kind of brilliant.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
The saddest part is that the Ferrari in Ferris Bueller was a body kit on an MG :(

poo poo, that's the commercial I was actually thinking about but got it confused with the Mercedes.

Why did they cut it off early and miss half the 2nd half of the spin?

Megiddo
Apr 27, 2004

Unicorns bite, but their bites feel GOOD.
Thank you for the opportunity to post this again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyPTKpHhYrU

Though I guess it's not so much drifting as it is skidding.

I own an '11 Optima SX (looks just like the one posted on the last page, minus the LEDs), and I've actually inadvertently re-enacted the maneuver in that video - did it while avoiding an accident a few weeks after I got it. Though I wasn't as entertained by it as the Saudi guys.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Megiddo posted:

Thank you for the opportunity to post this again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyPTKpHhYrU

The best Kia commercial.

There's a new Viper coming and I can't loving wait!

e:vv Yes at 300mph! (probably not) vv

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jan 31, 2012

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
It's going around a banked corner?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Oh Jesus, please tell me the new Viper doesn't have those gay LED eyebrows or whatever they call them.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

leica posted:

Oh Jesus, please tell me the new Viper doesn't have those gay LED eyebrows or whatever they call them.

It'd be hilarious if those lines actually were the legit locations for LED pipes. It'd be like some 7-year-old's dream.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jan 31, 2012

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Aww, the logo isn't an upside-down Daffy Duck any more?

asmallrabbit
Dec 15, 2005

leica posted:

I really like the LED lights on the Audis, it was a neat thing like the halo lights on the BMWs. Now that everyone is copying it, it's really annoying.

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE

asmallrabbit posted:

I really like the LED lights on the Audis, it was a neat thing like the halo lights on the BMWs. Now that everyone is copying it, it's really annoying.
I agree it's already getting plate out by everyone, but I like that picture of the viper. The most annoying LED's to me are Chrysler's on the 300.

Billy Zane
Jun 24, 2003

Listen to your friend Billy Zane. He's a cool dude.
I heard somewhere that the proliferation of LED lighting is due to some recent EU regulations where daytime running lights are mandatory on all new cars.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Billy Zane posted:

I heard somewhere that the proliferation of LED lighting is due to some recent EU regulations where daytime running lights are mandatory on all new cars.

It's not that recent, DRLs have been mandatory in Canada for decades. The advantage of LEDs are reliability and power draw, and now the really bright white ones you need for automotive lights are cheap enough to use.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Billy Zane posted:

Yes, this. LED lighting is cheap, draws virtually no power and extends the life on xenon bulbs/ballasts for those cars that have them seeing how they're 100+ or more for a pair of replacement bulbs and way more for the ballasts so they're perfect as DRL systems.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I think the Audi/MBZ LED's are annoying and too bright.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Whats wrong with led bulbs in conventional housings? I hate led eyebrows.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
The only problem I see with LEDs is that if one of the dozens of individual leds of the "eyebrows" dies (which happens...), you have to replace the whole thing, which will be very costly. And you'll probably have to to pass whatever vehidle inspection is mandatory in your country/state.

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?

BonzoESC posted:

It's not that recent, DRLs have been mandatory in Canada for decades. The advantage of LEDs are reliability and power draw, and now the really bright white ones you need for automotive lights are cheap enough to use.

What's the motivation behind a law like that though? Is it just greater visibility?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Cakefool posted:

DRLs aren't about projecting light so you can see better, they're about visibility. With that comes the flexibility to use them as a design element to add character instead of a requirement to design around.

GlenMR posted:

What's the motivation behind a law like that though? Is it just greater visibility?

Exactly; a car with its lights on is easier to see in any weather.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Cakefool posted:

But then how will all the neighbors know that your car has LEDs?

The only reason cars aren't covered with those eye-searing blue LEDs that all computer equipment had just a few years ago is legal. People have some sort of perverse fascination with bright blues and really high color-temp. God knows why.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

BonzoESC posted:

DRLs aren't about projecting light so you can see better, they're about visibility. With that comes the flexibility to use them as a design element to add character instead of a requirement to design around.

Exactly; a car with its lights on is easier to see in any weather.

I think there was actual statistical evidence to this effect as well.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

SouthLAnd posted:

There's a new Viper coming and I can't loving wait!

Lots of cars now have those LED eyebrow lights, but the new Viper will be the first with LED eyebags.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Cream_Filling posted:

I think there was actual statistical evidence to this effect as well.

Looking into it, there's a report from NHTSA that says there's a decrease in accidents but it's not significant, and one from the EU that says the decrease is probably significant but they can't really say how much.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Dr JonboyG posted:

Looking into it, there's a report from NHTSA that says there's a decrease in accidents but it's not significant, and one from the EU that says the decrease is probably significant but they can't really say how much.

Speaking as a Canadian driver, I feel it's really helpful determining when it's safe to overtake on an undivided highway (which we have a lot of, compared to the parts of the US I've been to), especially in conditions where part of the road is in shadow. Obviously there are a lot of American cars on our roads, so you can't rely on oncoming cars having DRLs, but I like them anyway.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I like decorative DRLs because they don't throw enough light to convince moron drivers that they don't need to turn on their headlights in snow/fog/rain/dusk

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
DRLs are handy for all those jackasses that drive black vehicles and like to forget to turn on the lights at night and get all pissy when you flash them and try to let them know that their lights aren't on while they do their best to ignore you and pretend you're not trying to tell them something. Yeah, those jackasses. At least there's SOME warning for oncoming traffic that way.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I like decorative DRLs because they don't throw enough light to convince moron drivers that they don't need to turn on their headlights in snow/fog/rain/dusk

Most new cars have a light on the gauge cluster to tell you when your headlights are on. It is the new idiot light.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

law abiding rapist posted:

Most new cars have a light on the gauge cluster to tell you when your headlights are on. It is the new idiot light.

people still cannot figure it out

it's 6:20 am and dark out dude turn on your mother loving head lights

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I blame always illuminated gauge clusters. It'd be a lot more obvious if you can't read the speedometer. (maybe...if you don't already notice you don't have headlights maybe you aren't that attentive?)

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I can't remember the last time I've had to actually manually turn ON my headlights in any of my BMW's since 2000....people still have to do that? :smuggo:

My headlights turn on if it's even slightly foggy out and it has DRL's and if that isn't warning enough there are the Orion V2 angel eyes (turned all the way down with a rheostat since the fuckers are so bright)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Keyser S0ze posted:

I can't remember the last time I've had to actually manually turn ON my headlights in any of my BMW's since 2000....people still have to do that? :smuggo:

My headlights turn on if it's even slightly foggy out and it has DRL's and if that isn't warning enough there are the Orion V2 angel eyes (turned all the way down with a rheostat since the fuckers are so bright)

When I first bought my car (MS3) I left the auto-headlights switch on. But then, occasionally, I would leave a parking garage and drive into broad daylight and my headlights wouldn't turn off and my gauge cluster wouldn't lighten back up. After that happened a few times I just switched back to manually toggling my lights when I needed them.