Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

^^ Match won't work with Classics.

Packard, one thing that may be confusing you is the fact that there's an iTunes library, and the iTunes media folder, and they're not the same thing. This is kind of repeating what others have said, but ...

The library is just a database of songs (and video, apps, etc., but let's keep it simple) you've told iTunes to include. iTunes won't touch these files unless, as mentioned, you explicitly edit the name/tag in iTunes. Adding files to the library can be done a few ways, but the most common is probably just by going to File -> Add Folder To Library.

The iTunes media folder is a folder that iTunes uses as a default to include in your library. In addition, *if you set it to*, iTunes will move or copy (depending on your settings) any songs you add to your library to the media folder. This action will rename the file (as mentioned, to the <disc #> <track #> <Title>.<ext> format you don't like), but won't mess with the tags.

You don't have to use the media folder at all -- in fact, I didn't from about 2004 until a few months ago. But, as the thread title suggests, you'll most likely find in the end that the benefits of letting iTunes manage things outweigh the fact that you have to live with "04 TrackName.mp3".

This doesn't make sense. How do I get songs from my computer to the iPod/Phone if it isn't in the itunes library? You can't drag and drop songs to the iPhone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Packard Goose posted:

This doesn't make sense. How do I get songs from my computer to the iPod/Phone if it isn't in the itunes library? You can't drag and drop songs to the iPhone.

:psyduck: iPhone or iPod classic?

Here are the steps you should follow in your case.

1. Backup your media to your external drive.

2. Get iTunes.

3. In iTunes, file>add folder to library. Add the perfected folder.

4. Check to make sure the metadata is to your liking.

5. Sync your iPod with that iTunes. Ensure that you uncheck "sync automatically" and even "open iTunes when plugged in" in the syncing menu. This gives you the control you want.

6. Enjoy your music.

I don't understand your concern. iTunes will only change file names if you tell it to, and why do you care about file names at all? The whole idea is to let iTunes organize the whole mess and put it on your devices in a pleasing manner. I haven't looked at my music folder with ~160gb in it in years, iTunes has it covered.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

tuyop posted:

:psyduck: iPhone or iPod classic?

Here are the steps you should follow in your case.

1. Backup your media to your external drive.

2. Get iTunes.

3. In iTunes, file>add folder to library. Add the perfected folder.

4. Check to make sure the metadata is to your liking.

5. Sync your iPod with that iTunes. Ensure that you uncheck "sync automatically" and even "open iTunes when plugged in" in the syncing menu. This gives you the control you want.

6. Enjoy your music.

I don't understand your concern. iTunes will only change file names if you tell it to, and why do you care about file names at all? The whole idea is to let iTunes organize the whole mess and put it on your devices in a pleasing manner. I haven't looked at my music folder with ~160gb in it in years, iTunes has it covered.

I did this and loving iTunes *quadrupled* my songs! It took each song and gave me 3 additional copies of it. God, I'm just going to throw my netbook against a wall and crush my MP3 players under my boot. Even WMP is duplicating songs for some reason. I have no idea why!

I *think* iTunes might be throwing poo poo off my purchased items list into my library, but I'm not telling it to. A possible way I can remedy this is by adding one folder of music at a time, seeing if iTunes duplicates it and deleting those duplicates, then syncing that poo poo.

Jesus this is beyond frustrating. I loathe to think of what will happen when I get home to my main desktop and have to do all this poo poo again.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

^^ Match won't work with Classics.

If Packard's goal was to move songs from his iPod to his/her iTunes on a different computer in an effort to keep them synced, Match would be a better way to get the music between computers, even discounting the iOS benefits of Match.

Packard, what is your desired goal? Are you trying to be able to add music from multiple machines to your iPod? Keep all your music in sync? What? The best way to do things differs based on what you're trying to do.

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

Packard Goose posted:

I did this and loving iTunes *quadrupled* my songs! It took each song and gave me 3 additional copies of it. God, I'm just going to throw my netbook against a wall and crush my MP3 players under my boot. Even WMP is duplicating songs for some reason. I have no idea why!
Do you have playlists (.pls or .m3u) in your folders? If iTunes encounters one, it will try to be smart and import all tracks listed in the playlist in addition to the playlist itself. I've had a similar duplication issue in the past, and it happened when the track paths in the playlists were not identical to what iTunes expected to find.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

fordan posted:

If Packard's goal was to move songs from his iPod to his/her iTunes on a different computer in an effort to keep them synced, Match would be a better way to get the music between computers, even discounting the iOS benefits of Match.
Oh, yeah, I misread that.

Also going with the "you probably have .m3u files in those folders" for the duplication problem.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
My goal is to buy the iPod classic and put all the songs I have with me, here in Afghanistan, onto it. Then, when I get back home I want to move my 'home' computer music collection onto it without having my 'home' computer iTunes wipe the iPod. Ultimately it would be nice if I could bounce my iPod between my home computer and netbook while on the move and not have to resync everything because one iTunes library never matches the other for whatever reason. When I get home, I can just plug my iPod in and say "Ok, move these song onto here without deleting everything already on it." It'd also be nice to move whats on the iPod onto my home computer iTunes.

How do I determine if I have .m3u files in my music collection? Just search for .m3u and delete them?

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jan 30, 2012

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Packard Goose posted:

How do I determine if I have .m3u files in my music collection? Just search for .m3u and delete them?
Yeah, either delete them or change the extension.

And after your explanation, I agree it probably would be a good idea for you to learn what iTunes Match does. There are other ways to do what you want, but Match is an easy, fairly elegant solution (provided you have Internet bandwidth available at key times).

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Yeah, either delete them or change the extension.

And after your explanation, I agree it probably would be a good idea for you to learn what iTunes Match does. There are other ways to do what you want, but Match is an easy, fairly elegant solution (provided you have Internet bandwidth available at key times).

How do I find them? I'm not seeing any files with .m3u.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Packard Goose posted:

How do I find them? I'm not seeing any files with .m3u.
Windows? Open explorer, go to the root folder of your music, and in the search bar enter *.m3u

Might want to search for *.pls too, like hirvox mentioned.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Windows? Open explorer, go to the root folder of your music, and in the search bar enter *.m3u

Might want to search for *.pls too, like hirvox mentioned.

No results were returned. I guess I don't have any?

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
No results were returned. I guess I don't have any.

This just isn't going to work. Even with metadata for every single song, 80% of my Megadeth albums are listed as 'Unknown Album'. When I try and 'Get track info' for them iTunes tells me it can't because it wasn't imported using iTunes, even though I added the Megadeth folder to iTunes using iTunes.

I searched my music root folder for anything ending in .m3u or .pls and nothing came up, yet I still get duplicate, triplicate, and quadruple songs. Why is it that when I select 'Display Duplicates' it will display both the duplicate and the original song? If I try and delete all ~880 duplicate songs I end up deleting everything. Throwing the baby out with the bathwater and all.

I'm also floored that over 100 songs are listed as 'Unknown Album' even though WMP displays them with the appropriate album information.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 30, 2012

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

'Get track names' only works when you ripped the disc using iTunes.

If you have so many duplicates you should just select everything in iTunes and delete them and then add your stuff again. Tell it to 'Keep files' and it won't delete the files from your drive, just from the iTunes library.

Regarding WMP - doesn't it also use a big database where it writes the song info and art. If you've used WMP until now it makes sense for it to have all the info. If you go to some files properties does it show the info there?

Sprat Sandwich fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jan 30, 2012

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Sprat Sandwich posted:

'Get track names' only works when you ripped the disc using iTunes.

If you have so many duplicates you should just select everything in iTunes and delete them and then add your stuff again. Tell it to 'Keep files' and it won't delete the files from your drive, just from the iTunes library.

Regarding WMP - doesn't it also use a big database where it writes the song info and art. If you've used WMP until now it makes sense for it to have all the info. If you go to some files properties does it show the info there?

I think it does. I know that when looking in my music folder it lists album, artist, song title, even year which is why I'm so confused as to why itunes says over 100 songs are 'unknown album.'

I guess I can try re-adding everything again, but if I do that I'll have to delete something like 440 duplicate songs because I can't seem to find where I have a playlist or whatever causing duplicates.

Is it a good idea to set iTunes to convert everything to AAC or whatever as well?

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Could a problem with what version ID3 tag some songs have be causing all the Unknowns?

I'm at work so unfortunately I can't research it myself.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Packard Goose posted:

I think it does. I know that when looking in my music folder it lists album, artist, song title, even year which is why I'm so confused as to why itunes says over 100 songs are 'unknown album.'

I guess I can try re-adding everything again, but if I do that I'll have to delete something like 440 duplicate songs because I can't seem to find where I have a playlist or whatever causing duplicates.

Is it a good idea to set iTunes to convert everything to AAC or whatever as well?

Wow you're having a terrible iTunes experience.

I don't know what the benefit of converting to AAC is.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I have a question which somebody here probably has an answer for: I have a 'best of' playlist on my Mac that is just for songs I've rated 4 or 5 stars (I probably need to make more specific playlists, but anyway.) Now, on the Mac that playlist includes all songs from albums I've rated 4 or 5 as a whole, while on my iPhone only specific tracks rated 4 or 5 show up. Can I change a setting in my Smart Playlist to avoid having all the tracks on rated albums show up? Should I just avoid rating albums and rate individual songs instead?

E.g. In this screenshot, only '4 Years' and 'Late Nights' show up on the iPhone playlist while they all show up on the Mac

http://i.imgur.com/6Fb3m.png

These are my Smart Playlist settings.

http://i.imgur.com/G3LuA.png

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

tuyop posted:

Isn't the convert option for transferring stuff to an iPhone/iPod? I think it keeps the stuff on your computer intact but puts a lower bitrate AAC file on the device to save space.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
Packard Goose: Do you have any shortcuts/symlinks in your MP3 library? (I could imagine people, or certain music cataloging apps, doing this to get certain albums or artists to be accessible in different places - ie. genre folders) If so, iTunes may be following them during the import process, resulting in weird duplication issues.

Edit: For a quick rundown on how iTunes (should) work for you:

Setting up your iTunes library
Here I'm assuming you have your MP3 files organized into a single folder (and subfolders) somewhere, perhaps like:
Music/Artist 1/Album 1/
Music/Artist 1/Album 2/
Music/Artist 2/Album 1/
Et cetera. I'm also assuming they've all got proper ID3 tags (you were having some issues; iTunes *should* support pretty much any version ID3 tag so long as it's properly formatted, but it tends to work best with v2.2 or v2.3). I'm also assuming there are no shortcuts/symlinks/aliases in your Music folder (ie. Music/Genres/Punk/Artist 1/).

Back up your "Music" folder just in case some stupid poo poo happens. (Always assume stupid poo poo will happen.)

We'll want to start with a fresh iTunes library for this, so (assuming there's nothing in your old one you want to keep, which for you right now should be the case) simply delete the iTunes folder you have now. I don't know where it is on Windows but I'll assume you can find it.

Now launch iTunes. It'll probably complain to you that it couldn't find the library. From that prompt, create a new one. iTunes should open with a shiny new library ready for you to dump your music in.

Adding your music
You have two options here: You can have iTunes manage your music files for you (as the thread title recommends) or you can manage it manually.

Option A: Let iTunes manage your music files
This is what iTunes does by default.

If you do this, iTunes will create its own folder structure inside your iTunes library folder, and it will copy any imported files into that structure. This folder structure is fairly straightforward (Music/Artist Name/Album Name/) so if you're not super-anal about things, it'll often suffice even for people who want/need to use the filesystem to access their music from time to time (but in general, why would you want to? The iTunes database is so much more convenient and powerful than the filesystem).

This is the best way to go, because it minimizes the chances of the iTunes database losing track of your poo poo. Updating ID3 tag data in iTunes will result in iTunes re-organizing the files appropriately. However, you can't go moving or renaming your files via the filesystem; you must let iTunes take over. Also note that to add files to iTunes after your initial import you'll have to import the new files the same way, or drop them in the "Automatically add to iTunes" folder in your library. iTunes will not notice new music just because you use the filesystem to drop them in the "right" place in the iTunes Library.

Note that this method copies files on import. If you choose to go 100% managed-by-iTunes, you can delete your previous hand-made Music folder once you've confirmed the import was successful.

Option B: Tell iTunes to keep its hands off!
You can add your music to iTunes without letting iTunes mess with your poo poo, if you so desire. To enable this (I have a Mac, so the settings might be a bit different for you) go to the "Advanced" tab of the preferences and uncheck "Keep iTunes Media folder organized" and "Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library" before you start your import.

Using this method will leave your files where they are. They shouldn't ever get moved or renamed by iTunes. iTunes will simply scan them on import to add their info to its database. However, if you move or rename them in your filesystem (which would be a common thing to do since you're using your filesystem to manage your music!) you run the risk of having iTunes lose track files because they're no longer where they were on import. iTunes does not make any attempt at re-synchronizing to changes in your filesystem (like, say, re-scanning your music folder when you put new stuff in). Note: I don't know how bad this situation gets because I don't use this method, but there's a reason this thread doesn't recommend it; iTunes was never really meant to work this way, and its implementation is half-assed.

Adding your music
Once you've decided which method you want to use (and changed your settings as necessary), you can import your music. Drag and drop your "Music" folder into the iTunes window (or File > Add to Library...). It should scan the folder and subfolders, copy your files into the Library (if you chose that option), and add all the ID3 information to the database (yes, without loving with your ID3 info). Once it's done, you should have a list of all your music, and no duplicates.

If anyone sees anything I've hosed up in my instructions, let me know. Particularly with Windows-related issues I wouldn't know about.
Also, I can't say poo poo about sharing an iPod among multiple iTunes libraries.

Choadmaster fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jan 31, 2012

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

withak posted:

Isn't the convert option for transferring stuff to an iPhone/iPod? I think it keeps the stuff on your computer intact but puts a lower bitrate AAC file on the device to save space.
No, that option is in the title screen of the iPhone/iPod in iTunes. Converting stuff to AAC creates a copy of the track in the library. It should be used for formats that your computer can play (like .flac, .wma or .ogg) but your mobile device can't.

Converting to AAC will not help with metadata issues; the new track's metadata will be the same as the original track's.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Guys, I have Windows 7 and iTunes, the latest.

What reasons could lead to iTunes constantly memory leaking all over the place and eventually running at nearly 1 GB of processing power and taking up 1 GB of my ram?

What the fuuuuuuck. I've hated iTunes for a while, but I keep it because I have it and smart lists so tightly woven into my iPhone. I have a huge library, but this is ridiculous. It didn't used to get this bad. I haven't added anything to it. I added Rinse at one point, but I took it off. This computer has plenty enough power to not choke on a ton of video editing, but iTunes usually ends up taking up as much processing power as a drat video game. And it's only playing mp3s.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

withak posted:

I tried it once on a friend's ipod nano because he was out of space, the AAC files were like 10% larger than his original MP3s. It may be because he had super low-quality mp3s on there and iTunes somehow upscaled them, but converting to AAC didn't seem to save him any space at all.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
I am letting iTunes manage my music now. However, prior to letting them do that I didn't go through and check the "part of a compilation" check on the items that I needed to (mixtapes and all). If I go back through and click on these will iTunes automatically update their folder? Or am I hosed?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Regnevelc posted:

I am letting iTunes manage my music now. However, prior to letting them do that I didn't go through and check the "part of a compilation" check on the items that I needed to (mixtapes and all). If I go back through and click on these will iTunes automatically update their folder? Or am I hosed?

You'll be just fine, once you do so iTunes will move every album you checked into the 'Compilations' folder automatically.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Regnevelc posted:

It will automatically do that. Same if you change the artist of a song, or the album that song is on. But in the case of Compilations, it takes them out of the artist folder, puts them in a "Compilations" folder, and that folder is just full of albums. Good if that mixtape if full of artists that you don't normally have. So if it's 22 artists on one CD and that's all you have by each of those artists, they don't get put into all these individual artist folders, with each having the same album name in each. You just have the one album folder in the Compilations folder.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

89 posted:

Guys, I have Windows 7 and iTunes, the latest.

What reasons could lead to iTunes constantly memory leaking all over the place and eventually running at nearly 1 GB of processing power and taking up 1 GB of my ram?

What the fuuuuuuck. I've hated iTunes for a while, but I keep it because I have it and smart lists so tightly woven into my iPhone. I have a huge library, but this is ridiculous. It didn't used to get this bad. I haven't added anything to it. I added Rinse at one point, but I took it off. This computer has plenty enough power to not choke on a ton of video editing, but iTunes usually ends up taking up as much processing power as a drat video game. And it's only playing mp3s.

All I can say is that I have Windows 7 and the latest iTunes and I've never seen it use up 1 GB memory. How often do you restart it? How long does it take after restart before using 1GB again? How big is your library? How much memory do you have? What is 1 GB of processing power anyway?

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Thanks guys!

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

DarkJC posted:

All I can say is that I have Windows 7 and the latest iTunes and I've never seen it use up 1 GB memory. How often do you restart it? How long does it take after restart before using 1GB again? How big is your library? How much memory do you have? What is 1 GB of processing power anyway?

I've also found that opening the store doubles the memory usage (which makes sense because it starts some Webkit browser thing) but doesn't release it after after you've done your stuff because you can't (I think) close the store browser.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

tuyop posted:

I really am! I made one last effort to save iTunes because I really want to use it and have a flashy iPod classic, but it just isn't meant to be.

I did a complete uninstall of iTunes and used Revo UnInstaller Pro to delete every trace of iTunes on my computer. Reinstalled iTunes and put the iTunes Media folder into my H:/Music folder (I keep my music on an external harddrive because my netbook has little space.)

I told iTunes to look for music and import it, and it did, but it did a half-assed job. Some albums it would only import a few songs and leave the rest, and it lumped about 2/3s of my songs under 'Unknown Album', even though Windows Media Player will display them appropriately with their correct album art. This part is the most annoying, because I used WMPs 'find album info' feature where it uses a metadata service to give it accurate ID3 info. What the gently caress is iTunes problem?

How does iTunes know where to look for your music? It just says 'will search your Home folder', but I don't have a Home folder. I can't seem to tell iTunes where all my songs are so it can import them all from H:/Music. So much for the slogan 'It just works.' :(

How will I be able to keep all the songs on my iPod that is synced to my netbook itunes when I get home? I'm going to use my PC as the main iTunes library, but if I try and sync it it will clear the iPod.

Does iTunes have a function where I can tell it to retrieve song data from the internet like WMP does? If I have to wait for it to find all the data for the 120+ songs it says is unknown I'll do it, but I want to be sure before I go through this mess again.

Does Apple just want me to buy an overpriced $2k MacBook that will be obsolete in 6 months just to use iTunes/iPods?

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Feb 1, 2012

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Packard Goose posted:

How does iTunes know where to look for your music?
File->Add Folder to Library

Packard Goose posted:

How will I be able to keep all the songs on my iPod that is synced to my netbook itunes when I get home? I'm going to use my PC as the main iTunes library, but if I try and sync it it will clear the iPod.

Does iTunes have a function where I can tell it to retrieve song data from the internet like WMP does? If I have to wait for it to find all the data for the 120+ songs it says is unknown I'll do it, but I want to be sure before I go through this mess again.

Match was supposed to address this, but I haven't subscribed so I wouldn't know. I use TuneUp. As for how to be able to keep songs on your iPod, use Sharepod. It can be used to flat out replace iTunes, if you were so inclined. My suggestion is to use Sharepod to pull music off of it, then clean it all with TuneUp/Match, then put it back on your iPod that's now attached to your home PC.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Mooktastical posted:

File->Add Folder to Library

Match was supposed to address this, but I haven't subscribed so I wouldn't know. I use TuneUp. As for how to be able to keep songs on your iPod, use Sharepod. It can be used to flat out replace iTunes, if you were so inclined. My suggestion is to use Sharepod to pull music off of it, then clean it all with TuneUp/Match, then put it back on your iPod that's now attached to your home PC.

File-> Add folder to library isn't letting iTunes manage my poo poo for me.

As for all that 3rd party software, what? That doesn't make sense.

What if I just installed iTunes onto the external harddrive inside the goddamn music folder? Or just put it on the external HDD where it will literally only look there for all the music?

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Packard Goose posted:

Edit->Preferences->Check boxes 'Keep iTunes Media Folder Organized' and 'Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library', then set the folder wherever you want your media library to be.

Packard Goose posted:

As for all that 3rd party software, what? That doesn't make sense.
TuneUp interfaces to iTunes and does exactly what you were asking for where I quoted you. Sharepod allows you to pull stuff off of your iPod, which you can't do with iTunes alone. I'm not sure what you're not getting.

Packard Goose posted:

What if I just installed iTunes onto the external harddrive inside the goddamn music folder? Or just put it on the external HDD where it will literally only look there for all the music?

It still won't look anywhere but your default folders like 'My Music' unless you specifically tell it to.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Mooktastical posted:

Edit->Preferences->Check boxes 'Keep iTunes Media Folder Organized' and 'Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library', then set the folder wherever you want your media library to be.

TuneUp interfaces to iTunes and does exactly what you were asking for where I quoted you. Sharepod allows you to pull stuff off of your iPod, which you can't do with iTunes alone. I'm not sure what you're not getting.

It still won't look anywhere but your default folders like 'My Music' unless you specifically tell it to.

Ha, Sharepod looks like an ideal program. Like what iTunes should have been! With this, I could just buy MP3s off Amazon and use Sharepod to move them onto my iPod couldn't I? Does it really work that easily?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Packard Goose posted:

Ha, Sharepod looks like an ideal program. Like what iTunes should have been! With this, I could just buy MP3s off Amazon and use Sharepod to move them onto my iPod couldn't I? Does it really work that easily?

No, I'm pretty sure you have this backwards. Sharepod is for copying from iPod to PC, not the other way around.

I know there have been third party programs for copying music to classic-style iPods in the past, but I have no idea if any of them still work or even exist these days.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Diabolik900 posted:

No, I'm pretty sure you have this backwards. Sharepod is for copying from iPod to PC, not the other way around.

I know there have been third party programs for copying music to classic-style iPods in the past, but I have no idea if any of them still work or even exist these days.

The website says Sharepod Adds & Removes files from your iPod, so it should work just like WMP?

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Packard Goose posted:

The website says Sharepod Adds & Removes files from your iPod, so it should work just like WMP?

Yes. Foobar does the same thing, iirc. Check here for more info.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Packard Goose posted:

How does iTunes know where to look for your music? It just says 'will search your Home folder', but I don't have a Home folder. I can't seem to tell iTunes where all my songs are so it can import them all from H:/Music. So much for the slogan 'It just works.' :(

Packard Goose posted:

Are you loving kidding me?

The last piece of advice I'm going to give you (and I don't know why I'm going to waste my time with it) is to double-check that WMP actually wrote the Artist/Album/etc. info to your MP3 files' ID3 tags. WMP does "lazy" updating - when you download all that track info, WMP updates its internal database but doesn't immediately rewrite the ID3 tags in a misguided effort to not thrash the poo poo out of your hard drive. It's supposed to do it a bit at a time over time, but this can be buggy and sometimes results in some or all ID3 tags never getting written properly.

Once you've confirmed the ID3 tags are incorrect with some other 3rd part software, you can open WMP and go to Tools->Process Media Information Now to force it to write the ID3 tags immediately, but there's always a chance it'll freeze or crash on you if it's already decided to get buggy on you for some reason (maybe it hit a malformed ID3 tag or something).

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Choadmaster posted:

Are you loving kidding me?

The last piece of advice I'm going to give you (and I don't know why I'm going to waste my time with it) is to double-check that WMP actually wrote the Artist/Album/etc. info to your MP3 files' ID3 tags. WMP does "lazy" updating - when you download all that track info, WMP updates its internal database but doesn't immediately rewrite the ID3 tags in a misguided effort to not thrash the poo poo out of your hard drive. It's supposed to do it a bit at a time over time, but this can be buggy and sometimes results in some or all ID3 tags never getting written properly.

Once you've confirmed the ID3 tags are incorrect with some other 3rd part software, you can open WMP and go to Tools->Process Media Information Now to force it to write the ID3 tags immediately, but there's always a chance it'll freeze or crash on you if it's already decided to get buggy on you for some reason (maybe it hit a malformed ID3 tag or something).

Please understand my frustration because nothing is loving working. I tried what you said and it only imported what it wanted to. I File -> Add folder'd my *entire* H:/Music folder and it only imported what it wanted to, and 2/3s of those songs were 'unkown album.' If I had an album called "Braying of New Zealand Sheep", it would move 3 songs but throw the other 8 into the UNKOWN ALBUM pile.

If I'm reading the CNet guide on how to update ID3 tags in iTunes, I'm going to need to hand jam all that data myself one track at a time. On over 200 songs.

If someone would suffer this idiot question I would like to ask it! If, after I import my songs into the iTunes library, those files are copied, correct? Meaning that it took my 6GB of music and turned it into 12GB of music. This means I could delete my H:/Music folder because now all those songs have been successfully copied into my iTunes Media folder. Is this correct?

iTunes.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Feb 2, 2012

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Packard Goose posted:

If someone would suffer this idiot question I would like to ask it! If, after I import my songs into the iTunes library, those files are copied, correct? Meaning that it took my 6GB of music and turned it into 12GB of music. This means I could delete my H:/Music folder because now all those songs have been successfully copied into my iTunes Media folder. Is this correct?
In iTunes, go to Edit - Preferences. Edit: and then the Advanced tab.

IF the folder you have listed as "iTunes media folder" is different than H:\Music AND "copy files to the iTunes media folder when adding to library" was checked before you imported, then yes it made a copy. Easy enough to check with Explorer.

Oddly, I can't recall ever hearing of iTunes failing to import songs. Are you sure they're in .mp3 or .mp4 format, and not .wma, .flac, or something like that?

Also a good free program for displaying / editing tags is MediaMonkey. Will let you do whole albums at a time, can search Amazon for info / art, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Packard Goose posted:

Please understand my frustration
Please understand ours. You're not giving us a whole lot of information, other than 'it's not working'. And it's obvious you're not reading/comprehending responses, because people are answering the same questions multiple times. Had you actually read and understood the post Choadmaster linked, for example, you'd have known whether or not iTunes was copying your music collection or not.

Packard Goose posted:

nothing is loving working. I tried what you said and it only imported what it wanted to. I File -> Add folder'd my *entire* H:/Music folder and it only imported what it wanted to, and 2/3s of those songs were 'unkown album.' If I had an album called "Braying of New Zealand Sheep", it would move 3 songs but throw the other 8 into the UNKOWN ALBUM pile.
Yes, but why isn't it working? Are your id3 tags actually written to the songs, or just wmp's internal database? Are they all in the mp3 format? I don't think they are, because then iTunes wouldn't be asking to convert them to AAC. If you're wanting to make sure it includes everything, you're going to have to let iTunes do that or use some other 3rd party program to convert them to mp3.

Oh, and are you still having the problem with duplicates? If so, have you verified that your music folders only have music files in them, not playlist or shortcuts?