Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

IAmGod posted:

This '72 Charger used to be my daily driver until I had to take it into a guard rail to avoid hitting someone this afternoon. Poor baby

Ehh, no better time than the present to learn the ancient art of panelbeating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

rscott posted:

Post Pictures of Horrible Metallurgical Failures

Actually I don't have any pictures and they wouldn't really be spectacular anyways but holy poo poo TMX stop selling us bad aluminum :mad:

Ermm, you keep the gallium locked away and sealed up tight, right?

(I've always wanted to see the carnage of putting about 30ccs of gallium into the oil or transmission fluid of an aluminum block/head engine... That would truly be a horrible metallurgical failure!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHHI2Lk79cY&context=C3d267cdADOEgsToPDskIwf72lMhwsxisZXQS6IaWP

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

IAmGod posted:

This '72 Charger used to be my daily driver until I had to take it into a guard rail to avoid hitting someone this afternoon. Poor baby

Most of that can be rectified with wrenches alone. Hardest part will be the fender itself. Ball joints and bearings are available.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Sponge! posted:

Ermm, you keep the gallium locked away and sealed up tight, right?

(I've always wanted to see the carnage of putting about 30ccs of gallium into the oil or transmission fluid of an aluminum block/head engine... That would truly be a horrible metallurgical failure!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHHI2Lk79cY&context=C3d267cdADOEgsToPDskIwf72lMhwsxisZXQS6IaWP

Nothing to do with gallium, just some impurities introduced into some of the aluminum extrusions we bought that started blistering when heat treated. It's stuff that you can barely see with the naked eye, but it fails penetrant inspection every time. The horrible part is the lost labor/material costs and getting TMX to admit that it's their fault.

That video owns though and would be super scary where I work!

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Sponge! posted:

You buy the gallium, I'll buy the motor.

I have three video cameras, we'll get multiple angles of the failure.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

IAmGod posted:

:( At least it's fixable. Plus, good excuse for fresh paint!

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

IAmGod posted:

I always thought God would be a little better about waxing his car.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I never knew moths caused paint damage.

Sure wasn't rust :downsrim:

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Nerobro posted:

You buy the gallium, I'll buy the motor.

I have three video cameras, we'll get multiple angles of the failure.

I'm sure if I made a post in this thread asking for paypal chip-ins to purchase Gallium to create a (series of?) truly horrible mechanical/metallurgical/total-existence-failures with the agreement that there's 3 good video camera angles on it, and a few still photographers at the ready too, we'd probably be able to pull it off.

Know any firefighters? Maybe borrow their thermal camera too for enhanced carnage.

I am also capable of acquiring pure Mercury.(I live within driving distance of a mercury reclamation and processing plant here in PA, and I'm already on their list of approved purchasers, all the waivers and poo poo are signed and on file for me already.) If you mix Mercury with the Gallium its kind of like "aircraft remover" for actual aircraft aluminum. Both metals will do terrible things to aluminum by themselves, but when combined the damage potential is many times the sum of the individual components.

I will take NO responsibility regarding potentially creating a superfund site vis-a-vis Mercury contamination, but if all goes as planned over 95% of it will amalgamate with the Aluminum anyway and be about as toxic as a dental filling. If someone can source a sack of powdered sulfur that'll pick up and render more or less inert any remaining free mercury. Turns it back into where it came from when it was mined out of the ground, AKA the mineral cinnabar, or Mercury(II) Sulfide... HgS. For stationary testing I'd say throw down a THICK (6 mil or better) poly sheet under the :science: area, and spread out a 1/4" or so layer of the Sulfur powder and you'd accomplish best effort contamination mitigation. You'd be looking at worst-case essentially the same volume of released mercury as smashing 4 or 5 48" fluorescent tubes in the test area. In other words, gently caress-all for hazard.

If there's interest in making this poo poo happen, I will get current prices for Hg. It should be cheaper by mass than the gallium. Doing the math. I can buy the Hg in 1 pound, 6 pound, 9 pound or 16 pound containers. One pound of mercury is 2.25 tablespoons, or 1.13 fluid ounces or 33cc. Based on my past purchases the price is around $90 per pound, but I haven't bought any since December of 09, and the whole CFL craze might have upped it slightly.

Doing the same math for Gallium comes up with half a pound would be the same volume, since its slightly less than half as dense as Hg. so we'd be looking at 220g of Gallium. At listed price with discount that would be $260.

So if AI can raise at least $370 for this :science: endeavor, we can probably destroy a V8, an I6, an I4, and some "small engines" with ease, and maybe some transmissions. Oh and the sulfur. I'm sure someone here works in an industry that produces or consumes elemental sulfur and would know where/how to acquire a 50lb sack of it on the cheap.

Combined we'd have enough Hg/Ga amalgam to fill a light bulb to about 95% capacity, so you non lab guys can visualize it.

What do you think, AI Goons.

:pseudo:

Here's some better looks at the kind of carnage we're pondering unleashing...

I recommend VLC media player because you can SLOW DOWN the videos. They're time lapse after all.

In this first video, ONE GRAM of amalgam was placed on top of a piece of aluminum angle stock, and over a course of 6 hours 7,200 frames were captured. We're planning on applying many tens of grams at a time, you can imagine the speed/depth of destruction...

http://www.kittenshateyou.com/SA/AI/amalgam/73769629.mp4

This second video is the same setup as the first, just from a different angle, and not the whole duration, but its higher quality...

http://www.kittenshateyou.com/SA/AI/amalgam/73773773.mp4

The third video is still the SAME setup, but it starts 24 hours AFTER the amalgam is dropped on to the aluminum, and covers 36 FURTHER hours of action(for 60 total). Remember this is all happening from ONE GRAM of the amalgam. And every one of those flakes that falls off is like a mold spore, it is capable of dissolving any more aluminum it comes in contact with, so if you're thinking "its gonna sink to the bottom of the oil pan and lay there" you're only half right. I'd recommend strategic application of several ~5 gram quantities into the valve cover area(plastic tubing/syringe to get it into all the corners) and let it set up shop for a bit before firing it up. This will allow it to eat into the delicious Aluminum head, and create lots of the amalgam powder which will be moved by the oil system. This stuff is like cancer. No stopping it once it takes hold.

http://www.kittenshateyou.com/SA/AI/amalgam/74139493.mp4

We may need to determine if the medium in an oil filter is capable of holding it back, if so we'll have to bypass the filter or otherwise puncture it. See, we're doing honest to god :science: motherfuckers!

It may also be a case of apply 8x5gram shots to the head, sit for 30 minutes, run engine for 10 minutes, see how it sounds, possibly add 8x5g again let sit for 30, run for 10, sit for 30, run for 10, etc. Once it sounds bad, and I'm sure we all know what a well and truly hosed engine sounds like, continue the run until the goal of destructive testing is accomplished. Further :science: can be accomplished by letting the whole thing alone after it stops being an engine for a few days and documenting its liquefaction. The steel/cast iron bits won't be affected, but anything Alumium, Brass, Zinc, or Magnesium should melt.

We could collect sodium filled exhaust valves for even more fun.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Sponge! posted:

Engine Destruction

I just want to know where this is going to take place. If it's within a days drive or so I can provide a thermal camera, multiple gopro cameras, a two stroke motorcycle engine and possibly a i4 engine. This horrible mechanical destruction needs to happen.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

NitroSpazzz posted:

I just want to know where this is going to take place. If it's within a days drive or so I can provide a thermal camera, multiple gopro cameras, a two stroke motorcycle engine and possibly a i4 engine. This horrible mechanical destruction needs to happen.

^^^ this exactly. You buy the engine, I'll by a plane ticket.
I think might need it's own thread.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

NitroSpazzz posted:

See, I wouldn't personally condone doing it with a two stroke, that poo poo's gonna come right out the exhaust. I 'm not crazy, I'm AI.

As for where, I'd say that'll be determined by whoever has the largest collection of potential victims. I'm willing to prepare the amalgam itself and ship it where it needs to go, and brief whoever is going to be actually doing the application of it on safety etc. Same goes for whoever owns the land or will be responsible for not turning the whole place into a superfund site.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Well... How about a mostly fenced in back yard. On the side of a rail line. That has already had gallons of oil poured in it?

We couldn't do any more harm than has already been done. The 2 stroke is a no-go, heavy metal vapors are baaaad.

I say we gut the oil filter.. for "science."

Whatever engine we use needs to be an aluminum block. Ideally with steel liners. I hope the pistons would hold up long enough...

Start the thread. I'm in. I'll provide the spot.

And yes, this will need to be a multi-stage project. Starting with the running engine running till destruction. Then a time-lapse of it melting down.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I'm curious about what happens when you contaminate the fuel with it directly. Obviously the exhaust becomes a little bit toxic, but I'm sure a smart goon can figure out how to get around that.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I'm curious about what happens when you contaminate the fuel with it directly. Obviously the exhaust becomes a little bit toxic, but I'm sure a smart goon can figure out how to get around that.
A what?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Seat Safety Switch posted:

respirators hold your nose, duh.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That would be awesome and all, but I can only imagine what you'd have to do for containment to find/recover all the pieces after the block fails catastrophically. It's going to punch holes in 6mil poly sheeting for sure.

And anything left after is going to be considered toxic waste, right? I.e. several hundred pounds of aluminum waste that basically has to be considered mercury ore?

I'd donate my yard for this :science: but I don't really want it to be horribly poisoned with mercury.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

kastein posted:

That would be awesome and all, but I can only imagine what you'd have to do for containment to find/recover all the pieces after the block fails catastrophically. It's going to punch holes in 6mil poly sheeting for sure.

And anything left after is going to be considered toxic waste, right? I.e. several hundred pounds of aluminum waste that basically has to be considered mercury ore?

I'd donate my yard for this :science: but I don't really want it to be horribly poisoned with mercury.

Leftovers get scrapped and no one is the wiser.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Yes. No will the notice the videos you post to the internet.

mum's the word, eh guv? :ssh:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Just do it in Mexico (Oh clarkson, :v:)

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer
Sounds pretty cool but I'm betting if you put 30g of amalgam in the head/sump and let it sit for 30 minutes, it just won't turn over. as soon as one crank bearing seizes you're done and then it's an expensive timelapse. I say turn the engine on, let it idle, and then add the amalgam to the breather vent and record from there.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

bidikyoopi posted:

Sounds pretty cool but I'm betting if you put 30g of amalgam in the head/sump and let it sit for 30 minutes, it just won't turn over. as soon as one crank bearing seizes you're done and then it's an expensive timelapse. I say turn the engine on, let it idle, and then add the amalgam to the breather vent and record from there.

This is an awesome idea.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

revmoo posted:

This is an awesome idea.

Better yet, raise the driven axle off the ground, and really rev the engine for maximum destruction.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

the engien will be outside the frame of a car. I want to see whatever hole develops first.

now I worry about oil providing a barrier to our liquid metal juju-juice.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Frank Dillinger posted:

Better yet, raise the driven axle off the ground, and really rev the engine for maximum destruction.

Jack the rear up, rev the crap out of it, wait for bad noises and then drop the jack.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I go away for a few days and you Oiguys get me the best Christmas present ever :swoon:

greenman100
Aug 13, 2006

Nerobro posted:

the engien will be outside the frame of a car. I want to see whatever hole develops first.

Use straight gallium. Not toxic.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Seems like adding some to the water jacket might have some pretty good effects, not just the oil. Wouldn't have to worry about the filter that way too. Would have to write off whatever radiator you use, but I think that's a concern no matter what you do.

SHAQ4PREZ
Dec 21, 2004

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Economy Car
Is it okay to post pre-failure pictures?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

OneStopShop posted:

Is it okay to post pre-failure pictures?

This needs video on it any time the ignition is turned on.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

So my cousin just posted pics of his new toy on Facebook.

280Z, body looks very clean. Wonder why it's on a trailer, though?

Dunno, eveything looks to be in pretty good shape up top. What abou-

:stare: Ah.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

by leftovers you mean a pile of mush and rotten metal you could break with your fingers, from the sound of it... :stare: and I assume unless they manage to purify the gallium back out of the aluminum while recycling it, everything that gets made from that melt will be structurally worthless too? I'd hate to be the recipient of that kind of mechanical failure. I really want to see this happen, I just don't want to be the poor bastard who buys an engine block made with what's left of this one.

Nerobro posted:

If oil can't keep coolant from washing out bearings, I doubt it can keep gallium from making love to the engine block and heads.

JD Brickmeister
Sep 4, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

kastein posted:

If oil can't keep coolant from washing out bearings, I doubt it can keep gallium from making love to the engine block and heads.

Not to be a wet blanket, but every video I've seen of this roughs up the aluminum with a file or something to get rid of the (invisible) oxide layer. And also aren't all the places where metal touches metal (piston sleeves, bearings, etc.) steel?

The gallium has to find a way into the metal before it can weaken it. I would suggest roughing some aluminum up, cover it with oil, then see if the gallium will penetrate it. Do a concurrent test and wait an hour or two before putting the oil on it to see if the oxide layer reforms. (:science: or do the whole experiment in an oxygen free environment) If the test works, scour the inside of the engine with a wire brush before assembling it. Otherwise like the other example, you've got a really boring time-lapse on your hands.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Need to score the aluminum while immersed in oil. The oxide layer forms pretty much immediately in open air, so it needs to be in an anaerobic environment when it is damaged.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
So pour that liquid glass stuff in there too. Done.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I like that idea, but not sure it'll score things up badly enough. I'd suggest maybe a half teaspoon of fine sand (and doesn't gallium wet silicon dioxide/sand quite nicely?), and bypass the oil filter.

AFAIK bearings are a copper/lead/tin layered construction of some sort.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

we're starting to develop what could be a metal pill.. you drop in the oil filler and wait 3 hrs for a dead motor. .... this is evil.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
It'll never beat the simple hilarity of a thermite bucket over the hood though.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
You see, now you've given investigators probable cause, jeeze.

This doesn't really affect iron though, right (besides the abrasive, obviously)? I'll be sure to drive my pre-series-1 3800 to wherever this is taking place, because you can never fully trust other goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

How about just find an old aircooled beetle magnesium block and start it on fire while the engine's running.